Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#9768 Dec 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
Please point out where God says go rape and murder.
http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm
http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

It's just a shot away.

Fennario

#9769 Dec 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
Wrong Religion has found fraud in the science community.
Non-scientists are not qualified to judge scientific papers. It takes a trained scientist to understand and legitimately critique it.

The church has no standing in the scientific community, and no voice in the great and continuing scientific discussion.

Furthermore, the church has a clear conflict of interest with science, and lies without compunction to discredit it. Look at Dim.

Fennario

#9770 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
THE BIBLE WON'T FIT INTO ONE POST.
The parts worth reading will.

Fennario

#9771 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
So when you can rid the planet of the dominant religion, you'll go to work on the others?
No.

Once religion is out of our lives, most of us will likely almost never think of it again - as with monarchs. The colonials thought about monarchy a lot until they deposed the only monarch affecting their lives, and then more or less stopped thinking about the subject rather than going after the others.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." –Diderot

Monarchy and the church are both headed to Irrelevanceville in the West.

Fennario

#9772 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
No matter what, you won't succeed in your efforts to dictate your failed beliefs on me.
Nobody cares what you believe, Dim.

Fennario

#9773 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Are science journals indistinguishable from fiction?
Only to science rubes like you, Dim.
derek4 wrote:
Pretty much so, yes.
Atta boy, Dim!

Fennario

#9774 Dec 31, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote: It is hilarious how religibots will use computer simulations to "disprove" science. <<guffa!!!>>
derek4 wrote:
Unfortunately, for fraudulent scientists, new software may make their misconduct more visible.
You are so sad, Dim.

Fennario

#9775 Dec 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
I'll continue to use science as I feel like it. And I will stand against bad science. Bad science is what you will try and protect with every cell in your body.
You go ahead and use science to try to support your religious claims.

I trust you'll forgive us if we don't return the compliment by using your religion to prove science or anything else.

Fennario

#9776 Dec 31, 2012
Khatru wrote:
There's another one who's full of rage and seething hatred. I can't quite recall his name. Doctor Who? Or something like that.
Yeah, the sock of many names. I think Laconic Assassin is one of his names, and Oscar Wilde Too is another. He may also be Just Results and Langoliers.

I believe that he serves us by posting his hatred under so many names.

Fennario

#9777 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's all it takes to make you happy, your happiness is shallow, like you.
You're damaged goods, Dim. I am easily made happy as well, and by elements of reality. You have no happiness. I can tell from your writing. Look at your overuse of "LOL" and "LMAO."

There is no lasting happiness in false hope based on a fraudulent promise. The seed of your psyche was planted in sand when your folks took you to church, Dim. It can't take root or thrive in so shallow an ideology.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#9778 Dec 31, 2012
To all my atheist friends out there, happy new year and all the best for the year ahead.

Hope you have a good 4,550,000,000.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You misspelled "my" in that post. So I corrected it for you.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#9779 Dec 31, 2012
swerty wrote:
To all my atheist friends out there, happy new year and all the best for the year ahead.
Hope you have a good 4,550,000,000. <quoted text>
LOL
Have a good one.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9780 Dec 31, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no interest in explaining my thoughts to the publishers of the web page. I will present the comments here, where the thoughts have been presented by you.
<quoted text>
How about how many lives have been saved from the advancements of science? But I would agree: get the harmful medications off the shelves. If actual fraud was involved, punish it.
You don't want the publishers to benefit from your vast wisdom?

Maybe that's because you realize that you don't have anything credible to present to them.

Location hidden

#9781 Dec 31, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, it is only a mild happiness to be obtained by this. Deeper happiness comes from understanding, teaching, loving, helping, and experiencing the joys of life.
So you settle for a “mild happiness”- lol.

Maybe one day you will give up the hopelessness of atheism and discover that deeper happiness which could bring meaning to your life.

Location hidden

#9782 Dec 31, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And the scientific community eventually works out the truth of the matter. Again, that is why we require testability and reproducibility of results.
Fraud is a serious concern because it does distort the scientific process and makes it more difficult to get to truth. But, if the fraud is in an interesting and important area of study, the results will be tested by many independent scientists and the fraud made clear fairly quickly. Fraud in less significant areas can last longer, but again, the truth will be found by subsequent investigators when they attempt to reproduce the results.
How often the scientific community fails us.

That's why we need government agencies, the media, and other sources, to help protect us against corrupt science.

I wonder if you've informed yourself about the staggering costs of scientific misconduct?

Your nonchalant attitude about fraud indicates that you haven't.

The cost to investigate a single case may be $525,000.00 or more.

With 20,000 fraudulent scientific papers published every year, as previously posted and documented, have you considered how astronomical these costs are?

Who bears these costs? What portion of these costs are paid out by the government?

The Office of Research Integrity states the costs may even be higher.

This link has more elaboration on the subject:

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Ado...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#9783 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... instead of honoring the dead, remembering their lives, giving them meaning and a reason .... you smear their names, minimalise the loss, all for your own personal, hate filled, agenda. How very .... christian of you.
Still, if you want to play, almost all other such cases are christian, and most do so in the name of your pretend god. If one in one hundred murderers is not christian, that's a pretty good track record, no?
So you want me to honor the dead atheist gunman?

No, I'll let you take care of that. You are probably good at it.

Location hidden

#9784 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"He had irregularly taken SSRI-antidepressants one year prior to his death. These antidepressants are said to cause suicidal tendencies as a side-effect in early ages between 18 and 24.[18]"
You love to ignore the details, don't you?
No, let's not ignore anything.

Actually, you make a good point by reminding us that his problems were brought on by those marvelous drugs science developed.

Thank you.

Location hidden

#9785 Dec 31, 2012
Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam fired Don Poldermans, scientific researcher, for misconduct, due to his alleged carelessness in collecting data. He reportedly used data from patient records without proper consent, and fake data. He is reported to have submitted knowingly unreliable data to scientific conferences.

This link from Forbes gives details about Mr. Poldermans' fraud:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2011/...

Location hidden

#9786 Dec 31, 2012
re-posting a famous quote:

“Belief in evolution makes atheists of people. One can have a religious view that is compatible with evolution only if that religious view is indistinguishable from atheism."

William Provine, Professor at Cornell University

Thank you Mr. Provine for expressing your thoughts, and we agree with them.

Location hidden

#9787 Dec 31, 2012
Was it worth it?

John Darsee lost his NIH fellowship and he lost his Harvard postion when he allegedly created fraudulent “scientific” data while he was a student at University of Notre Dame.

Fortunately, his corruptness was discovered. MORE corrupt scientists are the LAST thing we need.

There is way too much fraud in science.

More information on Darsee is found at this link:

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/rio/research_misco...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Thinking 227,426
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Thinking 20
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 22,140
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 7 hr Patrick 189
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Jaimie 71
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Patrick 42
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 18 hr Patrick n Angela 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••