Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9688 Dec 30, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're a Bible believer except for one chapter in Leviticus?
You know, I think all of us have some passages we have questions about, but when we study the Bible, we can find the answers to most legitimate concerns.
I would suggest that you read a Bible commentary on that passage to help you understand it and that should help you clear up any misconceptions you may have about it.
What are you then?

Do you believe everything the Bible says?

Or do you just believe your particular interpretation of what the Bible says?

Nottingham, UK

#9689 Dec 30, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The included link describes “Atheism” as the “No God” religion. Even though atheism isn't ordinarily thought of as a religion, it actually is.
Atheism is a faith of it's own.
Atheists have certain “Tenets of Faith.”
And don't forget “The Atheists' Creed”...
Atheism is an ideology that is bleak and hopeless.
https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/153...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
The Christian Courier?

I've never heard of it.

This is what passes for your source of impartial and unbiased information?

No doubt they have equally unbiased views on evolution, women, gays and other religions.

Nottingham, UK

#9690 Dec 30, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Have you ever noticed how atheists focus in on Christians, and try to dictate their beliefs to Christians?
Funny how atheists don't seem too concerned about other religions.
That's because they recognize Christianity as the one true religion.
Thank you, atheists, for your failure to dictate your beliefs to Christians, and for confirming to us that you recognize the one true God of the Bible.
More disingenuous nonsense.

Come on, Dim - you can do better than that.

Topix is based in America and the majority of Americans are Christians. What do you expect?

You know what your post does prove, though?

It proves that you don't believe your own statistics:

Many times on this thread, you and others have gone to some length to point out what you believe to be the low levels of atheism. Yet despite those perceived low levels, you're still in here spouting your nonsense.

Why is that?

Why aren't you in the Islamic or Buddhist forums?

I'll tell you why.

It's because you don't believe your own propaganda. Your claims that atheism is at exceedingly low levels are belied by your actions. Clearly, you see atheism as the greatest threat to your myth or you wouldn't be in here.

Are you concerned about Islam supplanting Christianity as the main religion? Obviously not.

Are you worried about atheism and its rise to prominence?

Absolutely!

Thank you Christians for showing that you don't believe your own propaganda and for confirming to us that you're more ill at ease over the rise of atheism than you are over the rise of Islam.

Nottingham, UK

#9691 Dec 30, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists attack community landmarks.
Why?
In order to dictate their beliefs.
http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-attacks-communi...
Atheists keep trying, but they keep failing.
The majority rules and will not allow atheists to dictate their beliefs.
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
So you have no problems with the open display of religious symbols?

No doubt you're supportive of satanists displaying their pentagrams?

Nottingham, UK

#9692 Dec 30, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is simply that Christianity is the dominant religion where most of us live. I am more than happy to point out the many flaws in Islam or Judaism also, but most of the fundamentalists I have to deal with are Christian, not Islamic or Jewish.
This is borne out by the fact that relatively few Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc frequent these boards.

However, on the rare occasions when they do, they're treated no differently to the many Christians that come here to be mocked.

Nottingham, UK

#9693 Dec 30, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
At the cutting edge of research, it is a good idea to take any pronouncement with a grain of salt. For those topics that have been settled in the scientific community for more than, say, 10-20 years, you don't have to wait any longer.
"Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known, we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgement in science stands on the edge of error, and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible."

Dr Jacob Bronowski

Nottingham, UK

#9694 Dec 30, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So Christianity contains no Mumbai jumbo?
Okely dokely.
Mumbai jumbo?

I'm so going to use that if we ever get a Hindu on here!
KJV

United States

#9695 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, "moral" behavior is not conducive to survival because morality is a social construct and is often used to justify murder, rape, torture, and a slew of other actions which weaken our species.

However ethical and equal treatment are, and they are the result of natural pressures combined with genetic mutations, resulting in a stronger social construct and thus a more adaptable species.
KittenKoder: said

"No, "moral" behavior is not conducive to survival because morality is a social construct and is often used to justify murder, rape, torture, and a slew of other actions which weaken our species."

I'm not following you here. Morality is used to justify murder? Not the lack of morality?

"ethical and equal treatment are,"(part of survival)

As your great leader once said "by means of natural selection"

How can equal treatment be a means of survival of the species and work with "natural selection" ( survival of the fittest ). Equal treatment does not allow for the strongest to survive to pass along the best genes. All genes are passed along if everyone was treated equal, weakening the species.
KJV

United States

#9696 Dec 30, 2012
EmpAtheist wrote:
Morality isn't always as black and white either. Like if you lied that you weren't hiding any Jews during the Holocaust... That is a violation of the big 10.

I don't know... we all know not to rape and murder even though the people with the book with god commanding rape and murder are telling atheists that without god there is nothing holding them back from rape and murder.... wtf.

Regardless of where morality comes from... atheists are moral....many atheists seem to be humanists fighting for equal human rights. Also Christians tend to be more moral than what their bible tells them...

I will be worried when the bible literalists loose their moral filters
Please point out where God says go rape and murder.

"Like if you lied that you weren't hiding any Jews during the Holocaust... That is a violation of the big 10."

You do not know the book you're attacking. The Bible in whole is used for the Christian faith. Picking out one line or another is not how the Christian faith works. The over all meaning of the Bible honors someone risking their life to save another.( as in this case a totally innocent person who would be killed if revealed simply because of their faith )
KJV

United States

#9697 Dec 30, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Religion found none, either in the scientific work or itself. Seems you are betting on a real loser.
Wrong Religion has found fraud in the science community.

"Seems you are betting on a real loser"

Wrong again! See I peeked at the ending and I know who wins.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#9698 Dec 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Religion has found fraud in the science community.
"Seems you are betting on a real loser"
Wrong again! See I peeked at the ending and I know who wins.
Yep, you are right science is a total failure so turn off your PC and don't use any medications, turn off your TV, sell your car and go and live in a cave.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#9699 Dec 30, 2012
Ruse.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Ruse
"derek4 wrote:
The below link is from Michael Ruse, atheist, authot, and philsopher of biology at Florida State University. In his conclusion, he makes the point of the damage atheists are doing in fighting to keep creationism out of public schools. He goes on to explain that the first ammendment doesn't ban teaching science in schools – but if atheists get it established that Creationism is SCIENCE rather than religion, then they are creating a problem for themselves which will work against them.
Also, he explains that if teaching that God exists is a religion, then it's also a religion to teach God does not exist.
He sees P.Z. Myers as a “disaster”, lol.
He also says that “The God Delusion”(book) made him “ashamed” to be an atheist.
Thank you, Mr. Ruse.
http://blog.beliefnet.com/scienceandthesacred...
Statements in this post were authored by the poster and are not copyrighted material."

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9700 Dec 30, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that's quite the idiotic conclusion!! Congratulations! I haven't seen anyone be that stupid in a long time!!
There is quite a lot more about the buy bull that doesn't add up
I'm glad you're interested in learning more about the Bible.

Matthew Henry's Commentary is a great source for beginners like you.

Location hidden

#9701 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientific method has demonstrated the capability of weeding out crackpots and liars very well, if it didn't, you'd have nothing to post. Dipak is disturbing, he lied and placed people's health at risk just for profit, then when called out on it he used that publicity to create a pyramid scheme as well. But the scientific community outed him, not a religion. Religion does the opposite, it hides, even to the point of evading the law, people who commit atrocities all the time. Religion offers psychopaths refuge, and an excuse as well as alibi to murder. Notice how you don't post anything about the Evangelist and their "faith healing" which has never healed anyone, or how you avoid John Edwards and his "ESP" junk. Your agenda isn't to learn, nor do you care about reality, your agenda is to discredit something that has probably discovered, and outed, a scam you were trying to pull. So out of pure spite you target the same method that outed you by only demonstrating that method is self correcting. You are a miserable failure of a human being, like all snake oil salesmen.
Who was it? Did James Randi demonstrate you were a fraudulent "psychic?" Or did you have your paper on "dream magic" rejected by the scientific community because it was nothing more than conjecture? Perhaps your attempts to "discover" psychic phenomenon by subjecting humans to potent hallucinogenics was was rejected and thus getting you banned from anything resembling a test subject in the US?
You cannot blame the people who discovered, and then rejected, your insanity just because you failed to pull the wool over their eyes.
Wow, Kitten - that was a lot of typing for you!!!

Do scientists work together to expose fraudulent faith healers? No. Why not? Because it's not their field, lol.

Likewise, it's not the place of religion to weed out bad science. It would be the job of science to stop corruption in science. But source after source has shown that it takes years and the peer review groups fail. Bad science still gets published every day, and it's worsening instead of getting better.

My “agenda” isn't to learn? Of course it is. Unlike you, I'm eager to learn about science, and I continue to learn every day that fraudulent science is growing and is far worse than I imagined before I began my research.

That, sweetie, is reality.

Location hidden

#9702 Dec 30, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of Das.
How's your computer working?
Fraudulent scientists don't exist unless you've personally heard of them? LOL

My computer is working fine. Better check out your own if you can't find Dr. Dipak Das.

Hint: try google – if you've ever heard of the infamous Dr. Das.

LMAO

Location hidden

#9703 Dec 30, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
He said, "Try posting something that's not biased and people may actually read it."
Should I post that in all caps for you?
THE BIBLE WON'T FIT INTO ONE POST.

Location hidden

#9704 Dec 30, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is simply that Christianity is the dominant religion where most of us live. I am more than happy to point out the many flaws in Islam or Judaism also, but most of the fundamentalists I have to deal with are Christian, not Islamic or Jewish.
So when you can rid the planet of the dominant religion, you'll go to work on the others?

LOL – good luck with that.
KJV

United States

#9705 Dec 30, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>"...
No one goes to jail for fraud." Bernie Madhoff will be glad to hear this!!

According to your "Religion Correcting itself" thesis, further progress will eventually lead you into the stone age. Congratulations!!
Ooogah Boogah said:
"No one goes to jail for fraud." Bernie Madhoff will be glad to hear this!!"

The subject matter that was being discussed was Religion do correct
Items in the Bible when an older writing is found. Correction or updates are done on the Bible many times.

And that comment was (as you know) dealing with the corrections in the Bible.
That no one goes to jail for fraud in Bible corrections.

Of course people go to jail for fraud all the time. That's the exact comparison I was makin, thank you for helping me clear it up for those of you who are a little slow on the uptake.

Location hidden

#9706 Dec 30, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian Courier?
I've never heard of it.
This is what passes for your source of impartial and unbiased information?
No doubt they have equally unbiased views on evolution, women, gays and other religions.
Yes, you show us every day that there are a great many things you haven't heard of. There is much you need to learn.

But your commendable support of Noah and his family earned you a special place in my heart that no one else can ever fill.

Location hidden

#9707 Dec 30, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
My objection-yes, dipshit. I reported you-was that you were loading page after page with cut and paste articles that you could have just linked to with a brief description.
They made navigating the threads cumbersome and time consuming.
You were being inconsiderate to every other poster, but your religion allows that as long as you're lying for Jesus.
You don't understand skepticism at all, do you.
It means skepticism of science.
I don't need to be skeptical of religion. I KNOW it's all BS.
All I have to do is look at you for proof.
Just you? LOL.

So you're the loser I was describing. I thought as much.

But that's fine - it didn't really accomplish anything By the time they are removed, they've usually already been read anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. I reported your post 9433, and commented about it to the forum. It's been removed whether it accompllished anything or not - except that "turn about is fair play".

So you do whatever you need to do, and I'll do the same, lol.

No matter what, you won't succeed in your efforts to dictate your failed beliefs on me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Uncle Sam 239,426
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min thetruth 7,477
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 19,074
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 4 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 7 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 7 hr Thinking 2
More from around the web