Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
KJV

United States

#9624 Dec 29, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Disagree. Fallacy of scale.

KJV wrote, ""Whence morality?... Two and a half millennia of debate have, however, failed to produce a satisfactory answer. So now it is time for someone else to have a go. Perhaps [biologists] can eventually do what philosophers have never managed, and explain moral behavior in an intellectually satisfying way.""

Not correct. We know where morals come from. Basic urges, such as protecting our young, are instinctual. And many other behaviors conducive to survival in man and beast alike are also gifts of evolution.

From these roots, human culture takes over. Here's how we do it today, so called rational ethics :

People decide how they would like to live. Most want to be happy as they understand it, which means that they want what it takes to achieve that state. They want to feel safe, to have enough, to feel loved, to express themselves, and to have the opportunity to pursue those things that make them happy. That means having leisure time, good health, sufficient means, the wisdom to pursue worthy the goals, and the skills to achieve them.

We've learned from our own lives and from reading about the past that most of us want those things. And we understand that the best way to achieve this is cooperatively, with rules of living that maximize opportunities to achieve happiness.

How should we agree to proceed to achieve a society with the greatest opportunity to pursue happiness for the greatest number? How shall we agree to behave to create that world?

We decide which values embody those goals - kindness, tolerance, freedom, peace, integrity, etc. Once we have identified our goals, we must decide which rules facilitate them. Some of these rules will be laws, such as 'don't kill or steal' and some are customs and traditions, such as sharing and cheerfulness.

Over time, we apply a science of practical ethics, applying reason and compassion to tweak the goals and the rules to support them, and observing their effects on our world. Sometimes, we make a mistake, as with alcohol prohibition. Our rule,the Eighteenth Amendment, was paradoxically counterproductive, and inadvertently INCREASED total misery. So we tweaked the rule back into oblivion with the Twenty-First Amendment.

Where's the mystery? Moral behavior is conducive to survival and happiness. Why wouldn't it exist?
"Where's the mystery? Moral behavior is conducive to survival and happiness. Why wouldn't it exist?"

Because if indeed evolution was real even though you may believe you can't have one with out the other. The odds of the top dog on the planet exhibiting moral traits are very high against it and not normal in nature.

The human eye
Human morals
The arts
Music
Writing

This is not evolution it's creation.
KJV

United States

#9625 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>No it didn't.
Oh yes it did and computer program show it.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#9626 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"That is the business of science, correcting itself when it is wrong."
It's also the business of the law to stop fraud. Which they find way more of in science then science does.
"When does religion correct itself?... "
All the time!!! Every time older documents are found they make the appropriate changes to the Bible. It's usually pretty miner changes but they do keep the Bible updated with the oldest know writings. And no one goes to jail for fraud. LOL
"... No one goes to jail for fraud." Bernie Madhoff will be glad to hear this!!

According to your "Religion Correcting itself" thesis, further progress will eventually lead you into the stone age. Congratulations!!

#9627 Dec 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed how long it takes the scientific community to discover their flaws, and the damage that occurs before fraudulent scientific papers eventually get retracted? Some are never corrected. The peer review system has failed us.
http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/846/94/h...
Some fraud is never retracted even after it's found. When will science retract errors in textbooks?
http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon.html
My faith is in the Bible.
Your faith is in fraudulent science.
Your religion has been around for nearly 2000 years and it still hasn't fixed Leviticus 14 .... it's a real hoot!!

#9628 Dec 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
To our atheist scientists in the forum, here's a question:
Is prostate cancer linked to the XMRV virus? Scientists told us it was, but unfortunately their papers were retracted since they were false.
This was reported in September, 2012. The link is below.
http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/2012/09/...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
And again, it was science that did the correction and the retraction, not religion.

#9629 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes it did and computer program show it.
It is hilarious how religibots will use computer simulations to "disprove" science. <<guffa!!!>>

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9630 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where's the mystery? Moral behavior is conducive to survival and happiness. Why wouldn't it exist?"
Because if indeed evolution was real even though you may believe you can't have one with out the other. The odds of the top dog on the planet exhibiting moral traits are very high against it and not normal in nature.
The human eye
Human morals
The arts
Music
Writing
This is not evolution it's creation.
The human eye - Already debunked, irreducible complexity is a canard.
Human morals - Easily explained by the theory of evolution.
The arts - Other animals exhibit art as well, fail canard.
Music - Other animals sing, another fail canard.
Writing - Hmm ... I think you may have one ... wait ...

Writing is a result of the combination of logic centers in our minds, it is simply an expression of communication. Our communication methods are more elaborate than other animals, but other animals do communicate as well. The logic traits that resulted in things like writing and structured linguistics are easily explained through the theory of evolution as species with the most complex communications systems could coordinate attacks and defenses much more easily, being capable of transmitting more complex concepts offers a tactical advantage over either prey or predator.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9631 Dec 29, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
It is hilarious how religibots will use computer simulations to "disprove" science. <<guffa!!!>>
I don't find hypocrisy humorous.

#9632 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't find hypocrisy humorous.
Nor do I. But the use of "computer simulations" aka "computer programs that produce any result you want" as "proof" of anything .... how is that not hysterical??

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#9633 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes it did and computer program show it.
Put up a link or STFU.

Moron.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9634 Dec 29, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor do I. But the use of "computer simulations" aka "computer programs that produce any result you want" as "proof" of anything .... how is that not hysterical??
Granted.^_^ That is kind of funny.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9635 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Put up a link or STFU.
Moron.
He already did, but it wasn't convincing, it was barely logical, and certainly not scientific.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9636 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
The odds of us be here from an exploding singularity and spontaneous life generation is simple impossible.
Perhaps you should check out a recent link of Dim's that provides further evidence for the Big Bang Theory.

Nottingham, UK

#9637 Dec 29, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice it was the scientific community that discovered the flaws in the work? No! Of course you didn't.
That is the business of science, correcting itself when it is wrong. That's how and why it has advanced our society out of the Dark Ages that Christianity created.
When does religion correct itself?... Never! Christianity is as wrong as it was when Christians butchered Hypatia of Alexandria.
Nicely put!

Nearly every post Dim makes serves to demonstrate how science will always weed out the frauds.

Religion is incapable of doing that, which explains why Christianity consists of thousands of different cults and sects, none of which can be shown to be frauds.

Deep down, Dim must wish his religion was as effective as science.

Nottingham, UK

#9638 Dec 29, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody on another thread was asking why I thought Christians would still want to burn heretics. He thinks that you've been cured of your sadism. I hope you don't mind that I quoted you:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Lol

What a fine ambassador for love and tolerance KJV actually is!

Nottingham, UK

#9639 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
It's usually pretty miner changes but they do keep the Bible updated with the oldest know writings.
Are they "quote miner" changes?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#9640 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Put up a link or STFU.
Moron.
The astronomy program "Night Sky" will show that there was a planetary conjunction back about 2k years ago which is postulated to explain the "star".

Forgetting the argument that an infallible book would document "planet" instead of "star", this still doe not in any way explain how any celestial object can delineate any specific spot on the planet. Even a jet at 30,000 feet can't do that.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9641 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He already did, but it wasn't convincing, it was barely logical, and certainly not scientific.
I missed it.

How far back?

Nottingham, UK

#9642 Dec 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
"When does religion correct itself?... "
All the time!!! Every time older documents are found they make the appropriate changes to the Bible. It's usually pretty miner changes but they do keep the Bible updated with the oldest know writings. And no one goes to jail for fraud. LOL
Really? Who are "they"?

Where are the corrections made to the Bible that incorporate the Acts of Paul and Thecla? Just think how you believers can thrill with excitement at the part where Thecla leaps into a moat full of man-eating seals and how Jehovah sends down a thunderbolt to kill all the seals.

Where's the Gospel of Thomas? It was found in 1945 and no insertions, deletions or amendments have been made to the Bible.

What about the Gospel of Peter? That was found in 1886. Where are the changes to the Bible made by these people you refer to as "they"?

You would have thought that they (whoever they may be) would have changed the Bible to accomodate Peter. After all, Peter's gospel provides the only eye-witness account of Jesus emerging from the tomb.

You believers love your eye-witness accounts so why hasn't the Bible been changed?

Peter tells us that Jesus emerged from the tomb with two angels and was followed by a talking cross. Once in the open, Jesus and the angels grew to a height of thousands of feet until their heads were lost in the heavens. According to the account, this was witnessed by a Roman centurion and his soldiers (usually eighty men) and also the Jewish Elders.

Why isn't this in the Bible?

Perhaps it's because your claims of amendments being made every time new documents are found is just another of your many lies.

Why do you lie?

You know it makes the baby Jesus weep.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9644 Dec 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The astronomy program "Night Sky" will show that there was a planetary conjunction back about 2k years ago which is postulated to explain the "star".
Forgetting the argument that an infallible book would document "planet" instead of "star", this still doe not in any way explain how any celestial object can delineate any specific spot on the planet. Even a jet at 30,000 feet can't do that.
And apparently it fails to take into account the earth's rotation.

No objects, other than our geostationary satellites, stay over one spot on the earth. Even Polaris, our north star, describes a small circle as it's not precisely over the pole.

Even answersingenesis recognizes these facts and explains them away by claiming that god can suspend the laws of nature anytime he wants and that's what he did for the star of Bethlehem.

Funny that he hasn't suspended any of the laws of nature lately. It would solve so much conflict.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 11 min Thinking 2,277
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 56 min KiMare 232,900
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 15 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 20 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 21 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 21 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web