Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
9,021 - 9,040 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014
KJV

United States

#9542 Dec 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Planets were thought to be wandering (not wondering) stars before they were known to be planets.

Though planets will demonstrate retrograde motion, that is an illusion caused by our changing line of sight against the much more distant stars.

Planets don't stop orbiting and the earth doesn't stop rotating.

There is only one area above earth where an object will appear to remain motionless, and that is directly above the equator. That is where our geostationary satellites are parked at about 23,000 miles above the surface.

Circumpolar stars, stars near the north or South Pole and depending on your latitude, never rise or set, but appear to describe circles in the sky.

Other that the circumpolar stars (and there are no circumpolar planets), EVERYTHING rises and sets during the course of a 24 hour day.(This excludes the polar regions where, during the summer the sun appears to travel AROUND the horizon, never setting. Same for the stars in the winter seasons.)

Recently I've been watching, over the course of several weeks, Jupiter's progress as it gets nearer Taurus' head.

The other night, I had the pleasure to observe the moon's motion over the course of a few hours as it came in very close conjunction with Jupiter.

The night sky is a fascinating place.

You should learn about it sometime.
"Planets were thought to be wandering (not wondering) stars before they were known to be planets. "

No as soon as the word Planet was assigned to them they were calling the Wandering Stars that is what the word meant. Many years later science changed the meaning of the word that was used to label all the wandering stars.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#9543 Dec 28, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that you're not a gutless coward.
Have you ever put your life in harms way to help anyone?

No didn't think so.
I've only been in that position once that I can think of.

And I didn't hesitate.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9544 Dec 28, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry you're having a bad day. Maybe it's your unbelief.
Not a bad day at all.

Maybe it's my unbelief.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9545 Dec 28, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Reporting post to moderators.
GFY

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#9546 Dec 28, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for all Christians but I know I don't get offended. Stupid ness cannot offend intelligentsia.
The odds of us be here from an exploding singularity and spontaneous life generation is simple impossible.
What about your background, do you think enables you to calculate odds (and probabilities) accurately?
KJV

United States

#9547 Dec 28, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>That's a perfect point. Also, the message of the Bible when speaking of the star, was not intended to be a science lesson.
Yet as you see batty can't figure that out.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9548 Dec 28, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>You think Cannibalism is ok if the majority of the tribe says it's ok.

"Do you believe that “enjoyment, love and fun” is all there is to life? If so, why should a child molester be denied “his enjoyment and fun” even if it is at the expense of others? If morals are in fact subjective, who are you to tell him that he is wrong given the “subjective standard” he has adopted?

Do you believe that man evolved? If so, is it not true that man also evolved a mechanism to kill his enemies, to spread his sexual seed via rape (which happens in the animal kingdom), to abide by natural selection? If so, is rape truly wrong seeing that it is just insuring the propagation of the human race AND BY WHAT STANDARD IS IT WRONG? Was Hitler truly wrong by killing 6 million Jews that he deemed to be slowing down the progression of the evolution of the human race? After all, these are tools of natural selection, are they not? Also, spontaneous generation has been disproven, so how do you account for non-life begetting life?

If man did in fact evolve, and there is nothing outside of the material universe, then there cannot be free will and free choice, can there? Meaning, if the material universe is all there is, then there is no such thing as an immaterial object; hence there can be no such thing as a law of thought, logic and morality. The result of this is that you do not have free will; you do not think freely; the reasons that you are stating this very thing is because your brain chemicals are forcing you to say such a thing. Why should I trust your brain chemicals over my brain chemicals? Why do you believe what you are stating if you cannot help what you are stating because it is simply an electro-chemical reaction? This once again leads us to ask the question; is truly wrong for a child molester to prey upon his victims? If so, what standard are you appealing to? My standard is the Bible, the very words of God Himself. My standard is “a priori”(apart form self) and objective. What is yours?"
Is the bible your only standard?

Are you saying that if the bible were one day proved false, even to you (I know. Not possible. But if...) that you would immediately respond to your urge to molest children?

Is that all that's stopping you?
KJV

United States

#9549 Dec 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>How's that computer working?

Do you have to plug it in, or do you just pray for it to work?
No I use an iPhone and it really make typing hard it also loves to change the word on you if you're not paying attention. But I'm on here simply for entertainment so I will not loose any sleep when these things happen or even if I screw up and use the wrong word.

Big Deal!

But you just keep pointing them out because it does tend make me watch for the word change out I bit more. Until I get lazy again that is.
KJV

United States

#9550 Dec 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Dark MatterS.

With an "s".

It's the name on a Science Channel series on scientific flubs and frauds.

Have you ever watched programs about biblical flubs and frauds?
How about real science!

Scientists are learning how to grow custom-made body parts so they can be ready when you—and your vital organs—start falling apart. At the University of Minnesota, Doris Taylor and her colleagues strip organs of their cells, reseed the organ "skeletons" with living cells, and watch as the organs start working right in front of their eyes.

Welcome to the Soudan Underground Research Site, a unique physics laboratory operated by the School of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. The first physics experiments at Soudan began in 1980. The current laboratory was constructed between 1984 and 1986. The Soudan Laboratory site is leased by the University of Minnesota from the State of Minnesota, Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The lab is located in the Soudan Underground Mine State Park, where the DNR preserves the oldest iron mine in Minnesota.

STOP and look around. Everything that you see: computer screen, window, cloud...all of these are made of baryonic (ordinary) matter. BUT, physicists studying the early universe have discovered that this ordinary matter only accounts for 10% of EVERYTHING! That means that 90% of all stuff that exists is made of something completely different! We call it dark matter & dark energy. But the question is: "what is it?"
Conducted from the Soudan Underground Mine in northern Minnesota, the search is for postulated dark matter particles called WIMPS -- weakly interacting massive particles. So far, the experiment has found no WIMPS, but neither has it found contamination from stray neutrons. This is good news because it establishes the degree of background rejection that has been achieved. Hopefully, the next run will reveal the elusive dark matter particle.

#9551 Dec 28, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet as you see batty can't figure that out.
You claim that your God "created" the universe and everything in it, but doesn't understand "science".

Dumb Azz!!! <snort!!>
KJV

United States

#9552 Dec 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>And...this is old news.

Ever seen pictures?

It's a huge pit of ultra pure water that looks like its lined with thousand of floodlights. But they're not light. They're light detectors.

In the pitch blackness deep in that cave, they hope to catch a photon or two released in the extremely rare event that a neutrino interacts with a water molecule.

Did you know that in just the area of your thumbnail, there are billions of neutrinos passing through you every second? That's every square centimeter of your body, every second of every day.
Yes I do know that, that's why 1/2 mile under 65% pure iron was the perfect place to build the detector and it's that detector that was the first detector to detect man made neutrino shot underground from Chicago.

Pre-WWW.
University of Minnesota invented a Internet before the WWW.

Because the protocol is trivial to implement in a basic fashion, there are many server packages still available, and some are still maintained.

Aftershock – written in Java.
Bucktooth – modern gopher server written inPerl.
Geomyidae – written in C. MIT X Consortium License.
GN
GoFish
Gophernicus –Linux, BSD License.
gophrier – An open source gopher server written in C
GOPHSERV – cross-platform,GPLv3,FreeBASIC .
Gopher Cannon –Windows(Win32/Win64), freeware, written in.NET 3.5
Goscher – written in Scheme.
Grumpy –Linux, GPLv3, written inFreeBASIC.
mgod
PyGopherd – modern gopher+ server written inPython.
PyGS
Motsognir open-source gopher server
gopherfs – a gopher filesystem FUSE abstraction

So it was no surprise that when University of Minnesota researchers developed an early protocol for organizing and sharing documents over the Internet, they named it "gopher." The initial version of the protocol appeared in 1991; by 1993, it had been codified as a Request for Comment (RFC 1436) that laid out the protocol in some detail.

According to the RFC, gopher was designed as a client-server protocol running over TCP/IP. Much lighter than HTTP and HTML, gopher provided essentially two options: menus and documents, both of which were accessed through port 70. The system was initially text-based, though basic image serving ability came later. There was no decorative markup for menu pages, which all looked basically (and boringly) the same; on the other hand, gopher was quick and consistent.

I have been in the lab hundreds of time.
The neutrino they actual detected came from Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab), located just outside Batavia, Illinois, near Chicago, is a US Department of Energy national laboratory specializing in high-energy particle physics.

Here some other items The University of Minnesota has developing.

Posted 02.26.11NOVA scienceNOW

Scientists are learning how to grow custom-made body parts so they can be ready when you—and your vital organs—start falling apart.At the University of Minnesota, Doris Taylor and her colleagues strip organs of their cells, reseed the organ "skeletons" with living cells, and watch as the organs start working right in front of their eyes.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9553 Dec 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's on you, not on me. I would be the better person in any intelligent human's eyes for offering, you declining out of spite just shows how much hatred you hide.
It shows how worthless you are, lol. You could never help others, when you can't help yourself.

And no one ever accused you of hiding your hate, did they? That's because you know nothing else, and you spew it out like a whale every day, not to mention the fact you have the personality of a stone.

I don't suppose you tried out for Miss Congeniality in school, did you?

LMAO

Location hidden

#9554 Dec 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it hard to believe a massive tit could type ... but then, he doesn't type much, so you are probably correct.
post reported as abuse

Location hidden

#9555 Dec 28, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes their report you and then yell when you return the favor. Sounds like an atheist to me!
They win by trying to eliminate the competition, or at least that's their goal instead of winning by merit - sounds like an atheist to me too!

Location hidden

#9556 Dec 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bad day at all.
Maybe it's my unbelief.
Keep trying to convince yourself, but tomorrow won't be any better for you, and just wait until you find out what a BLAST you're going to have in eternity; lol.

Location hidden

#9557 Dec 28, 2012
The link provided below alleges that Peter Duesberg, cell biologist, has been investigated for scientific misconduct by the University of California regarding his research on AIDS and for publishing questionable research papers.

The link indicates that Duesberg has been controversial for decades, and much of his work has been withdrawn.

If the peer review groups were doing their jobs, how did Mr. Duesberg dictate his fraudulent findings and beliefs for so many years?

And worse, what impact may his misconduct have had on combatting the disease?

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/201...

[The source is a reputable science magazine. It is especially interesting when we find these news accounts in science publications.]

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#9558 Dec 28, 2012
The included link is about Alfred Kinsey, atheist fanatic:

After reading the material, any sane person should find Kinsey a repulsive hypocrite, leading a double life, appearing to be clean and conservative, while actually living a perverted lifestyle.

Mr. Kinsey is most likely very representative of the atheist lifestyle, and like many athiests, he could best be described as having a distorted mind.

Much of Kinsey's work focused on ridding the world of Christian morality, but needless to say, he did not succeed.

His failure is much like that of other atheists.

http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/kinsey_alfre...

Location hidden

#9559 Dec 28, 2012
Do you know who some of the famed atheist advocates are of NAMBLA ( North American Man/Boy Love Association) are?

The included link nalleges David Thorstad, atheist and homosexual; Harry Hay, communist atheist and advocate of rape, and Samuel Delaney, atheist and homosexual.

Are they examples of fine, upstanding citizens who should be dictating their atheist beliefs and advocating man / boy love to our society?

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism,_pederas...

Location hidden

#9560 Dec 28, 2012
Has it come to your attention that retractions have increased 1200 % in scientific journals over the past 10 years?

At that rate, what will the percent of retractions be in another 10 years? 2400%?

Why would we bother to even read scientific journals when they have that degree of inaccuracy?

What is happeing to the respectable field of science? LOL

Why aren't the peer review groups intercepting this work before it gets published in these journals?

Find out more here:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/ar...

#9561 Dec 28, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The link provided below alleges that Peter Duesberg, cell biologist, has been investigated for scientific misconduct by the University of California regarding his research on AIDS and for publishing questionable research papers.
The link indicates that Duesberg has been controversial for decades, and much of his work has been withdrawn.
If the peer review groups were doing their jobs, how did Mr. Duesberg dictate his fraudulent findings and beliefs for so many years?
And worse, what impact may his misconduct have had on combatting the disease?
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/201...
[The source is a reputable science magazine. It is especially interesting when we find these news accounts in science publications.]
Did you notice it was the scientific community that discovered the flaws in the work? No! Of course you didn't.

That is the business of science, correcting itself when it is wrong. That's how and why it has advanced our society out of the Dark Ages that Christianity created.

When does religion correct itself?... Never! Christianity is as wrong as it was when Christians butchered Hypatia of Alexandria.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min KiMare 226,387
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 4 hr _Bad Company 1
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr Patrick 61
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 5 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 6 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 7 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••