Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#9400 Dec 26, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Says the guy who thinks that incest was ok because it wasn't vetoed by his god.
You think Cannibalism is ok if the majority of the tribe says it's ok.

"Do you believe that “enjoyment, love and fun” is all there is to life? If so, why should a child molester be denied “his enjoyment and fun” even if it is at the expense of others? If morals are in fact subjective, who are you to tell him that he is wrong given the “subjective standard” he has adopted?

Do you believe that man evolved? If so, is it not true that man also evolved a mechanism to kill his enemies, to spread his sexual seed via rape (which happens in the animal kingdom), to abide by natural selection? If so, is rape truly wrong seeing that it is just insuring the propagation of the human race AND BY WHAT STANDARD IS IT WRONG? Was Hitler truly wrong by killing 6 million Jews that he deemed to be slowing down the progression of the evolution of the human race? After all, these are tools of natural selection, are they not? Also, spontaneous generation has been disproven, so how do you account for non-life begetting life?

If man did in fact evolve, and there is nothing outside of the material universe, then there cannot be free will and free choice, can there? Meaning, if the material universe is all there is, then there is no such thing as an immaterial object; hence there can be no such thing as a law of thought, logic and morality. The result of this is that you do not have free will; you do not think freely; the reasons that you are stating this very thing is because your brain chemicals are forcing you to say such a thing. Why should I trust your brain chemicals over my brain chemicals? Why do you believe what you are stating if you cannot help what you are stating because it is simply an electro-chemical reaction? This once again leads us to ask the question; is truly wrong for a child molester to prey upon his victims? If so, what standard are you appealing to? My standard is the Bible, the very words of God Himself. My standard is “a priori”(apart form self) and objective. What is yours?"

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9401 Dec 26, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you don't seem to grasp anything do you? Lets see because later science redefined the word planet. Do ya think!
"Redefined?" So you think that Earth is a huge explosion of gases?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9402 Dec 26, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
KK motto: I have to attack and say something even if it's something stupid
"exact same ignorance"
2000 years ago Planets were called wandering stars.(What the word planet meant when it was first used on the "planets".) The Star of Bethlehem was a figure 8 of two planets Venus "The Mother planet" and Jupiter "The King Planet" crowned Regulus the King Star 3 times in the constellation Leo "The King constellation"
1) To think it has *anything* to do with events on earth is astrology, not astronomy.

2) This 'explanation' does not have a single star, but two planets. That doesn't agree with the story.

3) It does not show how this conjunction of planets would lead anyone to Bethlehem.
Today's computers shows this exactly.
The actual events do not fit the story. The story assumes the truth of astrology.
Yes the star of Bethlehem was real and it did exactly what the Bible said it did.
A conjunction of planets has nothing to do with events on earth. To think otherwise is to accept astrology.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9403 Dec 26, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Again where is it written?
Of course, I'd be glad too. The bible god would want all the Christains to be aware of those verses that the spell casters and Ju-Ju men try to hide from you poor fools. In Leviticus 26: 28 & 29, Jehovah himself threatens that if you make him angry, he will punish 7 times what is normal, and he will make you eat your children.

Now several times in that same bible he skates out from under the responsibility for this outrageous behavior, by threatening to have others make you so desperate that you will have no choice but to eat your children. In >>>>> LEVITICUS chapter 26, verses 28 and 29, he owns it. <<<< Jehovah will make you EAT YOUR CHILDREN!

Life without gods is good!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#9404 Dec 26, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see any of the video?
It's all explain even in terms you should understand.
Then you should be able to do the same, but you can't. So even this lame apologetic is beyond you.

The video posited it could have been a planetary conjunction or comet, and that was as far as it took it. Neither of these objects is capable of defining any specific spot anywhere on any planet.

I know this is beyond you to even begin to understand and I'm sorry for that. I truly am.

But the star story is still a stupid child's bedtime story. It doesn't even rise to the level of being a coherent myth.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#9405 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>You want to see a decade......10 years of research posted on bad science?

Okay, well you're not as bad as I thought, since you find bad science interesting. A number of atheist posters object to news on bad science – but I'm glad you're enjoying it. After all, we don't want dishonest scientists corrupting all of science, do we?

I appreciate that you want them caught!!! Let's tackle them together!!!

And if I'm still posting here in 10 years from now, I'll try to see that you get 10 years of posts on bad science. Does that make you feel better?

With all the old accounts of bad science prior to and during Darwin's time, up to now, and new accounts of fraudulent science being reported on the news each day, there will be plenty of material for you.

LOL
Ok.

And I'm going to post 10 years of pedophile priests.

Have you gone back to the technology of 2000 years ago yet?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9406 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
From CBS NEWS, February 11, 2009:

Poll: Majority Reject Evolution

Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.

These views are similar to what they were in November 2004 shortly after the presidential election.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500160_162-965223...
Is this actually something you are proud of?

That the ONLY country on the planet more willfully ignorant than the US is Turkey is something to be proud of?!

Do you realize that the vast majority of the rest of the world, believers included, laughs AT you, not with you?

I'd really love to know what your family and educational background is.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9407 Dec 27, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>KK motto: I have to attack and say something even if it's something stupid

"exact same ignorance"

2000 years ago Planets were called wandering stars.(What the word planet meant when it was first used on the "planets".) The Star of Bethlehem was a figure 8 of two planets Venus "The Mother planet" and Jupiter "The King Planet" crowned Regulus the King Star 3 times in the constellation Leo "The King constellation"

Yes the star of Bethlehem was real and it did exactly what the Bible said it did.
Prove it.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#9408 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.
These views are similar to what they were in November 2004 shortly after the presidential election.
Now that is an indictment of the US education system.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9409 Dec 27, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
KK motto: I have to attack and say something even if it's something stupid
"exact same ignorance"
You are dense, do you practice making stupid excuses for not wanting to learn anything or does it come naturally. Do you know that earth means dirt? Yeah, they didn't know our planet was a planet, they thought it was just dirt.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9410 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, Kitten, today's scientists would call it an alien spacecraft. It's just like fraudulent scientists to jump to that conclusion and come out with false reports. I'm accustomed to seeing that kind of science at work, and people like you supporting it. Too bad we lost old Haeckel – he could draw some space aliens for us, lol.
No, they would call it a UFO until they found out what it was, then they'd call it what it was. So far, no UFO has turned out to be an alien spacecraft. But there are a ton of nut jobs who think that UFOs are aliens spacecrafts, those are the same nuts that thought planets were stars, just different eras.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9411 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Oh look, an appeal to popularity fallacy, that's a new one ...*breaks out in wailing laughter*

Sorry, I just couldn't keep a straight face on that. This would be like saying that the Earth is flat 2000 years ago just because most people didn't know any different.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9412 Dec 27, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
The lies are all yours.
Would you like to tell us what is “creationist” about fraudulent science?
Scientists who do fraudulent work would be fraudulent with or without creationism.
I just post news stories you hate because they work toward discrediting your science god, who has failed you.
As to your next post, get it through your head that I do not want your respect. It's worthless.
It is foolish for you to presume that we Atheists do not look at "science" with the same skeptical eye we cast at religion. I, personally, am skeptical about just about everything! As a reasonably well-read scientific lay-person, I scan the 'bubble-gum' condensed versions of science news, going "ah so" to some and tossing out others that are too far out there. Nothing becomes dogma, nothing is set in stone. I really don't think there's such a thing as "scientific dogma" anymore ... the Universe at the levels we can scrutinize her now, is simply too weird.

That's my opinion anyway. Yeah, the scientific establishment, while founded on the "Scientific method", is a human institution and therefore flawed. We aficionados don't see the battle to maintain grants or the pressure to publish that can corrupt the process ... but, we know it's there. It should not be ignored. If that is your primary message ... we got it. Thanks. We're ready to move on now. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya! Even flawed, science remains a diamond and religion remains a turd. It's really that simple.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9413 Dec 27, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>It is foolish for you to presume that we Atheists do not look at "science" with the same skeptical eye we cast at religion. I, personally, am skeptical about just about everything! As a reasonably well-read scientific lay-person, I scan the 'bubble-gum' condensed versions of science news, going "ah so" to some and tossing out others that are too far out there. Nothing becomes dogma, nothing is set in stone. I really don't think there's such a thing as "scientific dogma" anymore ... the Universe at the levels we can scrutinize her now, is simply too weird.

That's my opinion anyway. Yeah, the scientific establishment, while founded on the "Scientific method", is a human institution and therefore flawed. We aficionados don't see the battle to maintain grants or the pressure to publish that can corrupt the process ... but, we know it's there. It should not be ignored. If that is your primary message ... we got it. Thanks. We're ready to move on now. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya! Even flawed, science remains a diamond and religion remains a turd. It's really that simple.
Well said.

I'm constantly astounded by Derek's blatant hypocrisy as he uses the technology produced by science to post his spam in his vain attempts to discredit the very science that enables him to display his willful ignorance.

Texas, USA

#9414 Dec 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they would call it a UFO until they found out what it was, then they'd call it what it was. So far, no UFO has turned out to be an alien spacecraft. But there are a ton of nut jobs who think that UFOs are aliens spacecrafts, those are the same nuts that thought planets were stars, just different eras.
I was quite the UFO-Nut in my teenage years. It fit in well with my Sci-Fi addiction. I got into photography (back in the darkroom days) and learned how "easy" it is to fake pictures (it's far easier now). I got "into" real science and learned how BIG the Universe is and how hard it would be to get here ... my interest in UFO's waned. No one, not even aliens, would go that far just to play 'hide-and-seek' with the local wildlife. LOL

Texas, USA

#9415 Dec 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
I'm constantly astounded by Derek's blatant hypocrisy as he uses the technology produced by science to post his spam in his vain attempts to discredit the very science that enables him to display his willful ignorance.
Derek and KJV make me fearful for the future. Such willful ignorance does not bode well for us at all.

And ... thank you for your kind words. I have come to respect your opinions and admire your wit!! By any means ... keep up the good work!!!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#9416 Dec 27, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>Derek and KJV make me fearful for the future. Such willful ignorance does not bode well for us at all.

And ... thank you for your kind words. I have come to respect your opinions and admire your wit!! By any means ... keep up the good work!!!
High praise, indeed.

Thank you very much.

I thoroughly enjoy your posts as well. You often say what I'm to lazy to deal with.

:)

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9417 Dec 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this actually something you are proud of?
That the ONLY country on the planet more willfully ignorant than the US is Turkey is something to be proud of?!
Do you realize that the vast majority of the rest of the world, believers included, laughs AT you, not with you?
I'd really love to know what your family and educational background is.

Location hidden

#9418 Dec 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to post 10 years of pedophile priests.
Be my guest. I have no objection to such posts.

It's no reflection on the Bible to show the failures of mankind. The Bible itself records many accounts of it.

I should think you would want fraudulent science to be exposed for what it is. Do you support fraudulent science?

Location hidden

#9419 Dec 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, after all these years, science hasn't been smart enough to figure out what the Bible already knew 2000 years ago. Thank you for admitting it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Chimney1 48,485
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 6
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 23,491
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) Sat ChristineM 21,863
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web