Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#9300 Dec 25, 2012
Anybody else note the common denominator here?

We all hold the actual heavens in awe, while the theists hold their imaginary one in some imagined awe.

I'll stick with genuine awe any day.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9301 Dec 25, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless our Savory, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, born of extra virgin olive oil, and anointed with Cheese's Crust - how grated thou art!
He, who came for our salivation after we were thrown out of the Olive Garden, and rescued us from the Antipasto, but was twirled on a giant fork and flung onto a wall instead, where he stuck and dried for our sins.
Merry Xmas!
You do make me smile, Happy Holidays my friend.,from both myself and the Badger.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9302 Dec 25, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
Anybody else note the common denominator here?
We all hold the actual heavens in awe, while the theists hold their imaginary one in some imagined awe.
I'll stick with genuine awe any day.
If one holds something in "awe", it cannot be "imagined awe", or it would not be held in awe.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9303 Dec 25, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Newtonian refers to the optics: one mirror at the far end from the opening and a small mirror to deflect to the eyepiece at the side. Cats have a different arrangement, with an initial lens, two mirrors, and an eyepiece in the back.
Dobsonian refers to the type of mount. Bobs have a circular base which rotates and the scope rests on supports on the side. This is a type of alt-az mount. The scope moves on axes either perpendicular to the earth or parallel to it. Most Dobsonian mounts are on Newtonian scopes.
Another type of mount is the equitorial, where the main axis of the mount is aligned with north in the sky. Then, the mount allows rotations around that axis. This is much better if you want to take pictures, as you only have to drive the rotation around the main axis. For alt-az mounts, you have to drive two axes, but there is also a rotation that comes up that has to be dealt with for longer exposures.
That is profoundly uninteresting.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#9305 Dec 25, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
I have an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain on equatorial mount. I bought all the photo accessories. ST-4 CCD autoguider. I also have a 4" refractor and a 12.5" Newtonian on German equatorial mount with a 12 Beyers drive gear set up. The 4" refractor is actually the guide scope for the 12.5". Unfortunately, I don't have good dark skies.
Nice.

I was just looking at the nearly full moon beside Jupiter - naked eye, of course. I'm getting ready to follow it. Now where did I put that myrrh?

Fennario

#9306 Dec 25, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
Anybody else note the common denominator here? We all hold the actual heavens in awe, while the theists hold their imaginary one in some imagined awe. I'll stick with genuine awe any day.
Agreed.

This is one of the ways that Christian antiscientism does harm, which I broached at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... . That was the third of three consecutive posts on that subject, the one about the spiritual death caused by a philosophy that disesteems material reality, and alienates Christians from their own flesh and physical world by redirecting any awe and gratitude they might have felt outside of reality. What is spirituality if not a sense of connection?

Speaking of spiritually stunted Christians, and just so that Dim won't feel left out, here's a horoscope:

Daily Horoscope for December 25
Taurus

When the Moon is in Taurus it's easy to get excited and involved in something that isn't your business, particularly where your family's concerned, and the ramifications could be serious. It's advisable to watch what you say as well as your behavior, because everyone else will be watching as well. Otherwise, it should be a lovely, joyful time.

Fennario

#9307 Dec 25, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You do make me smile, Happy Holidays my friend.,from both myself and the Badger.
[smiles back]

You too, my sister.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#9308 Dec 26, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>If one holds something in "awe", it cannot be "imagined awe", or it would not be held in awe.
If one holds something imaginary in awe, then the awe is imaginary.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#9309 Dec 26, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>That is profoundly uninteresting.
You are profoundly uninteresting.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#9310 Dec 26, 2012
<quoted text>Nice.

I was just looking at the nearly full moon beside Jupiter - naked eye, of course. I'm getting ready to follow it. Now where did I put that myrrh?
Lol.

Back when I first goy into astronomy and astrophotography, I got a picture of Saturn just about to be eclipsed by the moon.

Last night was an impressively close conjunction. The night before, where I live, there was a "moon bow". I don't know their proper name, but it was a halo centered on the moon.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Texas, USA

#9311 Dec 26, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you've looked at a few Bibles, lol.
Why did you bother, Hillbilly, since – according to you -“it's about 98% nonsense and the other 2% is boring”?
So the part that was boring – the 2%, wasn't nonsense? It made sense, in other words – but it was “boring”?
LMAO
Yeah. Bad turn of phrase. Hey, even Babe Ruth struck out occasionally. I shoulda said 100% nonsense and been done with it.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#9312 Dec 26, 2012
<quoted text>Agreed.

This is one of the ways that Christian antiscientism does harm, which I broached at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... . That was the third of three consecutive posts on that subject, the one about the spiritual death caused by a philosophy that disesteems material reality, and alienates Christians from their own flesh and physical world by redirecting any awe and gratitude they might have felt outside of reality. What is spirituality if not a sense of connection?

Speaking of spiritually stunted Christians, and just so that Dim won't feel left out, here's a horoscope:

Daily Horoscope for December 25
Taurus

When the Moon is in Taurus it's easy to get excited and involved in something that isn't your business, particularly where your family's concerned, and the ramifications could be serious. It's advisable to watch what you say as well as your behavior, because everyone else will be watching as well. Otherwise, it should be a lovely, joyful time.
Phew!

I'm glad I didn't see family yesterday.

We're doing that today. It worked out better for everybody.

Sorry Jesus.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9313 Dec 26, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is profoundly uninteresting.
Says the failed creationist who hasn't converted a single atheist since he came here this year.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9314 Dec 26, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If one holds something in "awe", it cannot be "imagined awe", or it would not be held in awe.
That is the most ridiculous circular logic I've ever heard.

You're saying that because we're capable of feeling awe, when that awe is applied to something that isn't really there, it somehow proves that the thing that causes the awe was real.

So if I tell you I have something amazing and you feel awe, imagine your dissapointment when I reveal there's no such thing there.

Hmm. maybe that's how you f*ckers get brainwashed into Creationism?

The churches fill your ears with imaginary gods, they force you to feel awe at these imaginary gods. And then when you learn that there's no such thing as god, you fool yourself into thinking that becuase you feel "real" awe, your god must be "real".

Thanks for explaining how you think Buck, its interesting to study how your pathetic delusion has infected your cult mind.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9315 Dec 26, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
My astronomy professor had a 14" Celestron Schmidt-Cassigrain on a permanent mount at the top of the ridge over above Santa Cruz. That was just amazing!
I had a 12.5" dob, but the skies here have deteriorated to the point I can't use it. So I gave it to my ex-wife and daughter. They live in a dark place, so will get much more use of it. I have not used motorized mounts: I like to star hop. You really get to learn the sky that way.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9316 Dec 26, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So why post it at all? Nobody actually reads your posts because we all know they are only spam. It isn't that we disagree with them, because we are quite happy to engage in a discussion of their merits, but *you* don't want to go there.
<quoted text>
And I don't have to take into account *your* desires if you don't go by the standards of these forums. If I choose to respond to your posts, and actually discuss the ideas, you can choose to ignore what I say.
<quoted text>
I am quite aware that people will disagree with me. That is part of why I am in this forum: to engage in discussion with those that disagree with me.
<quoted text>
No, that doesn't bother me. It is your lack of responsibility to support the ideas in your posts that bothers me. Pushing the hard work back to the authors of the links is simply ducking any real debate.
<quoted text>
And when we point out that your sites are mistaken, you refuse to support them or offer your viewpoint. Typical troll.
<quoted text>
Nor is it your position. You post your spam, which will be ignored by everyone because it *is* spam. We will ignore it (or not) and possibly report it. Since you are not engaging in the *discussion* these forums were created to enhance, you are not being a civilized being. But you knew that.
Troll
When you take unnecessary time and effort to dissect my prior post and respond to it piecemeal, the result is that it tends to make your thoughts come across as nothing more than incoherent jargon when I hit the reply button.

That works to your own disadvantage, lol.

On the other hand, you generally post incoherent jargon anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter. Nevertheless, always feel free to post as you please, even if you often complicate things for yourself.

So you say nobody reads my posts. Yet they dispute the specifics of the content?

That's interesting, isn't it? LOL

There are no established “standards of these forums”, nor do you set the standards. As you have been advised, no one needs to post to meet with your expectations, nor is there any requirement that one contributor to the forum reply directly to another contributor. Many do not.

You bring embarrassment to yourself when you continue disputing web page material with any poster who has made it clear they are not interested in your opinions of the material. As I have advised you time and again, content on web pages does not require my defense or support. It speaks for itself.

You point out that my “sites are mistaken”? Every site, huh? Every post, every link that disagrees with your view or the atheist view is mistaken? The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Scientific American, Wikipedia, various other science journals. All “mistaken”?

LMAO

It's unfortunate that you can't move on and get past your inadequacies. But that's your problem.

Report any post you like – that's your right. Why do you need to inform me? I've reported a few abusive posts myself, and they were removed, and I brought the post numbers that were removed to the attention of the group in a subsequent post of my own. Just a reminder to you – the right to report posts is in all our hands.

I think the real problem you have is that it makes you extremely uncomfortable to view material which conflicts with your uninformed views.

I will appreciate your cooperation in understanding that I will not waste anymore time responding to your dispute of web page material. I've already explained this to you at least 5 times.

Besides, you have already demonstrated to us that you aren't a knowledgeable or credible source.

Location hidden

#9317 Dec 26, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"The only people who are offended by a baby surrounded by people and animals are people who WANT to be offended."
Oh how atheist love being offended.
Don't you just feel atheists' love when they tell me I'm a hate-filled Christian?

You will have to admit, atheists have such an endearing spirit.

Aren't they shining examples of the good spirit eveyone on the planet should have?

LOL

Location hidden

#9318 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I am concerned, f*ck your made up bullsh*t story, roll up your sleeves and fetch me some proof of god you lying monotonous creationist cretin.
In post 9253, you said, "that is all I have to say".

You didn't really "say" anything then - lol.

Location hidden

#9319 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Athiests don't have a faith. You're not very bright are you?
Atheism is a religion which places it's faith in science instead of God (or "gods").

“Atheism is a religion, just as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are religions. And any restrictions placed on Christianity, Judaism, or Islam must also be placed on Atheism. Atheism must not be allowed to slip through its little loophole any longer, by pretending it is not a religion.”
http://patriot.net/~bmcgin/atheismisareligion...

[Learn more about your religion, and get informed about the atheist churches.]

Location hidden

#9320 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the failed creationist who hasn't converted a single atheist since he came here this year.
Who is trying?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr John 32,048
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr John 155
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Science 74,937
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 8 hr Subduction Zone 6,092
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 16 hr Dogen 4,059
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat John 4,952
News Why do public atheists have to behave like such... Jun 21 Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web