Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#9058 Dec 23, 2012
Your numbers are wrong to start with and I;d say many would agree that people self project and make claims after something has happened.

As usual you are wrong, Self admitted Poe.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
2.04% of the worlds population agrees with you.
32%( 2,331,509,000) agree with my post.
You see your opinion is nothing.
Just do the math on all of the above. Your religion is the furthest far fetch idea of all believes today world wide. That's why you belong to the smallest group and your group loses more from its ranks then any other world wide.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9059 Dec 23, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I think your problem is you watch to much Fox News.
Dumbass derek4IQ points:
So you agree that science is fraudulent and you want nothing to do with it.
Science had nothing to do with my atheism. Learn to comprehend what you read.
You should put a picture of a blooming idiot on your avatar.
Email me your picture an I may for laughs.
And, like I said, you read the Bible from cover to cover. You read the front cover where it says “Holy Bible”, then you turned it over and you read the back cover where the bar code was glued on, lol.
Yawn I know more about the bible than you on any day of the week. Don't think so? Let's make a hefty wager and take a biblical knowledge test, highest score takes the pot. Yes I know you will refuse.
“You're a 48 year old who wears a moo moo and slippers all day. You have big thick glasses.
Well considering I am a 32 year old black man good luck with all that nonsense. As usual chump you are wrong.
You are so on the defense of yourself. That doesn't go well for you, lol.

Location hidden

#9060 Dec 23, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Projecting after the fact is like shooting an arrow at the wall and then painting a bullseye around it. That's all you are doing.
<quoted text>
Learn the meaning of projecting so you can avoid making a bigger fool of yourself than we already know you to be.

Location hidden

#9061 Dec 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
"Atheists often imply that reason is best used by them and not by Christians who, as many say, need psychological help for believing in God. This condescending attitude is a fountain for derogatory comments. I have been called stupid, absurd, illogical, and a slave to my religion. I get the impression from atheists that they are so convinced they have the truth that no other options are available to them, and that if you don't agree with them, you're not smart. Of course, they will deny this and say I am being ridiculous, but this is what I have observed -- right or wrong.
Consider some of the terms atheists use to describe themselves: "Free thinkers," "Free from religion," "Rational," etc. They use these self-descriptive terms in juxtaposition to statements of Christians as religious bigots, losers, and brainwashers. On the atheist.org website I read,
"Critical thinking, objectivity, scientific methodology, and peer review are all hallmarks of Atheism. Submission, fear, credulity, and insupportable claims are the hallmarks of religious belief."
When I read statements like this, I can't help but wonder which religion they are referring to. It can't be Christianity, because the Bible teaches us to love God and love our fellow man. It teaches that the fear of the Lord is wisdom, that truthfulness is a way of life, and that eyewitness accounts of the miraculous is one of the evidences for its validity. Of course, the atheist would argue with all of this because he must, in spite of the facts. But still, if an atheist wants to attack religion in general and Christianity specifically, he should, at least, do so objectively. But this doesn't seem to be the hallmark of the atheistic movement; at least not from what I've seen so far."
Thank you for this!

Great post.......

Location hidden

#9062 Dec 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a faux sense of moral outrage.
The only person you're fooling is yourself.
I point out the selective blindness of xtians and you attribute all sorts of nonsense to me which I never actually said.
Why do you find my additional verse so morally repugnant but you find nothing wrong with genocide or with eating children?
So not only do you want approval for disrespecting your dead in laws, but you want approval for communist regimes who killed millions, and you want to eat children with my blessing?

Sorry, you're out of luck - I don't support your godless ways.

Hopefully you will become worm food sooner rather than later.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9063 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know Hill, I agree with you - science certainly has its ups and downs, constant revisions, and retractions, lol. Thank you for that.
Just a reminder to the forum: If you have concerns about fraudulent science and how it has failed us you may contact the publishers of the web pages I've posted with your concerns - but I have no personal interest in your unsupported opinions.
Since 2001, while the number of papers published in research journals has risen 44%, the number retracted has leapt more than 15-fold, data compiled for The Wall Street Journal by Thomson Reuters reveal.
more:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405270...
You know, Dim (do you mind if I call you Dim?)... unsupported opinions can be powerful things. You get enough of them together, you can move mountains, form (or discredit) religions, create fads, sway advertisers and influence politicians. How do you think politics and religion works? LOL. With "facts"? LOL. What if you went to church and all the preacher man could use were "supported facts"? Wouldn't be much to talk about would there? People would really be nodding off then! That's what classrooms are for. I'm talking classrooms in Public Schools, colleges and Universities, not "Sunday School".

It's my opinion, that forums such as these, are the ideal vehicle to express one's opinion and good for little else. You (we) go off and ingest our "facts" somewhere else, digest them, then come here to share the resulting effluent. Some of it's stink'n shite, some of it's think'n fertilizer. You believe you get'n all "scholarly" with your clumsy cut and pasting? You're actually supporting the very process you are trying to discredit!! I'd try a new approach.

How about producing a miracle? It should be fairly simple for your deity to produce some unmistakable evidence of his existence while demonstrating that some humans actually do have his ear. There's hardly anything more convincing than a fulfilled prophecy. That's why your good book is so chock full of them in the beginning and dang if they don't come true in the final chapters! LOL.

Location hidden

#9064 Dec 23, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
This is usually true of writers whose posts consist almost entirely of the works of others. These days I skip most posts that are not written by the poster. I don't come here to find research papers but to have intelligent conversations with interesting writers... seems to happen less and less these days.
And I don't come here to read your uninformed comments. They don't go anywhere. Like you, going nowhere.

To each his own, lol.

Isn't that the great thing about forums - something for everyone.

Location hidden

#9065 Dec 23, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>What Khatru posted was not what you claimed he posted. Maybe you should read his words again, and read it more carefully this time.
I don't need to read Khatru's words again. They weren't really worthy of a first reading, and they certainly weren't profound. They simply reflected his (or her) thoughts of worms burrowing through eye sockets (as I said) while attending his dead in-law's funeral. Khatru is sick, and needs help, when you support Khatru's thinking, so are you.

But you still did some great research, and I thank you once again for sharing it with us.

When one atheist exposes another for what they really are, even if they do so inadvertently, it's so much more effective than if I were to post all the history you did.

I noticed you kept defending yourself with other posts, but this one covers all of them, lol.

You really should be more careful about mistreating your fellow atheists with posts that work against them.

Location hidden

#9066 Dec 23, 2012
There is a lot of shame among atheists – read what this one has to say:

I’m Ashamed to be an Atheist

“... to those of you out there on Twitter, Facebook, blogs, A+, wherever”...[topix]...“just grow up. For a group of people who sees themselves as intellectuals, for many of you, it’s closer to pseudo-intellectual. The insults, obsessions, name-calling, generalizations, overuse of buzzwords, f-bombs, etc., has got to stop. For someone who is relatively new to the atheist “community,” I am supremely unimpressed. If this “schism” is indicative of how the atheist community really works, why be a part of it? I see very little coming out of this. So you know what? If you’re one of these people I’ve described, I’m ashamed to share the word atheism with you.”
http://ohioatheist.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/i...

[“... I am supremely unimpressed.”]

Location hidden

#9067 Dec 23, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, Dim (do you mind if I call you Dim?)... unsupported opinions can be powerful things. You get enough of them together, you can move mountains, form (or discredit) religions, create fads, sway advertisers and influence politicians. How do you think politics and religion works? LOL. With "facts"? LOL. What if you went to church and all the preacher man could use were "supported facts"? Wouldn't be much to talk about would there? People would really be nodding off then! That's what classrooms are for. I'm talking classrooms in Public Schools, colleges and Universities, not "Sunday School".
It's my opinion, that forums such as these, are the ideal vehicle to express one's opinion and good for little else. You (we) go off and ingest our "facts" somewhere else, digest them, then come here to share the resulting effluent. Some of it's stink'n shite, some of it's think'n fertilizer. You believe you get'n all "scholarly" with your clumsy cut and pasting? You're actually supporting the very process you are trying to discredit!! I'd try a new approach.
How about producing a miracle? It should be fairly simple for your deity to produce some unmistakable evidence of his existence while demonstrating that some humans actually do have his ear. There's hardly anything more convincing than a fulfilled prophecy. That's why your good book is so chock full of them in the beginning and dang if they don't come true in the final chapters! LOL.
You know, Hillbilly, I don't mind what you call me - call me anything you like - lol. The only people I care about are people who matter to me, and you aren't one of those people.

I just consider what you say is an eruption from an uneducated source, and you ramble. You're boring.

LMAO

Location hidden

#9068 Dec 23, 2012
I feel ashamed of some atheists.

“first .. I'm not even atheist, I am agnostic.(but I'm still going to hell.)

There are some situations in which I feel the need to defend religion and its followers from hateful atheists.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe, and to worship what they want to worship. There is no rule in any lawbook that says otherwise. You can be Jewish, Buddhist, you can worship the ground, nature, space, or goats. It doesn't matter, you have that right as a citizen.(Now, keep in mind I'm talking about America because I am not sure about other places.)

There are Christians who openly bash and persecute peoples of different religions and cultures. There are Jewish, Muslim, and Buddhist people who do the same thing. Pagans and Wiccans, Satanists, and Atheists.

And unfortunately..

There are some atheist people out there who are unforgiving and unrelenting in their bashing and hatefulness towards peoples of any religion.

The one thing I was taught in life were morals and ethics. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Christians preach love for all, and there is a bible verse in which it says (roughly, don't know word for word)"He who gets slapped in one cheek, turn the other and ask no questions, for it is your duty to forgive." I took this to mean that you should let people walk on you. Of course, they don't, and neither does an atheist. Unless that's your personality.

So occasionally, I will meet an atheist whose purpose in life is to be hateful towards Christian people. I feel ashamed of these people. I am, as agnostic, a part of this "disbelieving blasphemous group" and people like those who actively seek to be hateful offend me. Their screams of "GOD ISN'T REAL, YOU'RE A STUPID MORON AND YOU NEED TO JUST KILL YOURSELF AND GO TO YOUR HEAVEN SO THE REST OF US CAN LIVE PEACEFULLY" and etc are offensive to me.”
http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/i-fe...

Location hidden

#9069 Dec 23, 2012
“The God Delusion made me ashamed to be an atheist”

“It’s quite often noted that Dawkins and the rest of the fanatical “New Atheists” are not very highly thought of by more ‘reasonable’ atheists. Given that Dawkins has never come across to me as anything other than a complete idiot, however, I still find it fun to read what they have to say about him… if simply as evidence that my own opinion of him is not solely due to my theistic bias, but may actually be because he is – ontologically – an idiot.”
http://simrav.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/the-go...

Location hidden

#9070 Dec 23, 2012
Dawkins et al bring us into disrepute

“As a professional philosopher my first question naturally is: "What or who is an atheist?" If you mean someone who absolutely and utterly does not believe there is any God or meaning then I doubt there are many in this group. Richard Dawkins denies being such a person. If you mean someone who agrees that logically there could be a god, but who doesn't think that the logical possibility is terribly likely, or at least not something that should keep us awake at night, then I guess a lot of us are atheists. But there is certainly a split, a schism, in our ranks. I am not whining (in fact I am rather proud) when I point out that a rather loud group of my fellow atheists, generally today known as the "new atheists", loathe and detest my thinking. Richard Dawkins has likened me to the pusillanimous appeaser at Munich, Neville Chamberlain. Jerry Coyne, author of Why Evolution is True, says (echoing Orwell) that only someone with pretensions to the intelligentsia could believe the silly things I believe. And energetic blogger PZ Myers refers to me as a "clueless gobshite" because I confessed to seeing why true believers might find the Kentucky Creationist Museum convincing. I will spare you what my fellow philosopher Dan Dennett has to say about me.

There are several reasons why we atheists are squabbling – I will speak only for myself but I doubt I am atypical. First, non-believer though I may be, I do not think (as do the new atheists) that all religion is necessarily evil and corrupting. This claim is on a par with golden plates in upstate New York. The Quakers and the Evangelicals were inspired and driven by their religion to oppose slavery, and a good thing too. Of course there has been evil in the name of religion – the pope telling Africans not to use condoms in the face of Aids – but as often as not religion is not the only or even the primary force for evil. The troubles in Northern Ireland were surely about socio-economic issues also, and the young men who flew into the World Trade Centre towers were infected by the alienation and despair of the young in Muslim countries in the face of poverty and inequalities.

Second, unlike the new atheists, I take scholarship seriously. I have written that The God Delusion made me ashamed to be an atheist and I meant it. Trying to understand how God could need no cause, Christians claim that God exists necessarily. I have taken the effort to try to understand what that means. Dawkins and company are ignorant of such claims and positively contemptuous of those who even try to understand them, let alone believe them. Thus, like a first-year undergraduate, he can happily go around asking loudly, "What caused God?" as though he had made some momentous philosophical discovery.”
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9071 Dec 23, 2012
NightSerf wrote:

<quoted text>
... I don't come here to find research papers but to have intelligent conversations with interesting writers...

See, there's where you went wrong.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9072 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, Hillbilly, I don't mind what you call me - call me anything you like - lol. The only people I care about are people who matter to me, and you aren't one of those people.
I just consider what you say is an eruption from an uneducated source, and you ramble. You're boring.
LMAO
Try not to get any on ya!!

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9073 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Dawkins et al bring us into disrepute
“As a professional philosopher my first question naturally is: "What or who is an atheist?" If you mean someone who absolutely and utterly does not believe there is any God or meaning then I doubt there are many in this group. Richard Dawkins denies being such a person. If you mean someone who agrees that logically there could be a god, but who doesn't think that the logical possibility is terribly likely, or at least not something that should keep us awake at night, then I guess a lot of us are atheists. But there is certainly a split, a schism, in our ranks. I am not whining (in fact I am rather proud) when I point out that a rather loud group of my fellow atheists, generally today known as the "new atheists", loathe and detest my thinking. Richard Dawkins has likened me to the pusillanimous appeaser at Munich, Neville Chamberlain. Jerry Coyne, author of Why Evolution is True, says (echoing Orwell) that only someone with pretensions to the intelligentsia could believe the silly things I believe. And energetic blogger PZ Myers refers to me as a "clueless gobshite" because I confessed to seeing why true believers might find the Kentucky Creationist Museum convincing. I will spare you what my fellow philosopher Dan Dennett has to say about me.
There are several reasons why we atheists are squabbling – I will speak only for myself but I doubt I am atypical. First, non-believer though I may be, I do not think (as do the new atheists) that all religion is necessarily evil and corrupting. This claim is on a par with golden plates in upstate New York. The Quakers and the Evangelicals were inspired and driven by their religion to oppose slavery, and a good thing too. Of course there has been evil in the name of religion – the pope telling Africans not to use condoms in the face of Aids – but as often as not religion is not the only or even the primary force for evil. The troubles in Northern Ireland were surely about socio-economic issues also, and the young men who flew into the World Trade Centre towers were infected by the alienation and despair of the young in Muslim countries in the face of poverty and inequalities.
Second, unlike the new atheists, I take scholarship seriously. I have written that The God Delusion made me ashamed to be an atheist and I meant it. Trying to understand how God could need no cause, Christians claim that God exists necessarily. I have taken the effort to try to understand what that means. Dawkins and company are ignorant of such claims and positively contemptuous of those who even try to understand them, let alone believe them. Thus, like a first-year undergraduate, he can happily go around asking loudly, "What caused God?" as though he had made some momentous philosophical discovery.”
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...
The New Atheists seek authority over knowledge and thought.

They want the citizens to talk about Noah's flood and a young earth while they are busy indoctrinating our youth in material monism - only that which they themselves can measure is all that exists.
KJV

United States

#9074 Dec 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I see

So not only are you on personal terms with the supreme creator being of our universe but you can also read people's thoughts.

Any more brains and you'd be dangerous.
You seem to not get it Khatru!
We are on personal term with the creator of all.

You were given brains by the creator you just choose not to use it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#9075 Dec 23, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
... I don't come here to find research papers but to have intelligent conversations with interesting writers...

United States

#9076 Dec 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Such a faux sense of moral outrage.

The only person you're fooling is yourself.

I point out the selective blindness of xtians and you attribute all sorts of nonsense to me which I never actually said.

Why do you find my additional verse so morally repugnant but you find nothing wrong with genocide or with eating children?
What another lie from Khatru!

Hard to believe.
KJV

United States

#9077 Dec 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Another idiot who can't be altruistic without Jesus.
You're an atheist who can't be an atheist with out projecting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Eagle 12 - 78,703
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,454
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 hr Science 1,410
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web