Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#9038 Dec 22, 2012
"Atheists often imply that reason is best used by them and not by Christians who, as many say, need psychological help for believing in God. This condescending attitude is a fountain for derogatory comments. I have been called stupid, absurd, illogical, and a slave to my religion. I get the impression from atheists that they are so convinced they have the truth that no other options are available to them, and that if you don't agree with them, you're not smart. Of course, they will deny this and say I am being ridiculous, but this is what I have observed -- right or wrong.

Consider some of the terms atheists use to describe themselves: "Free thinkers," "Free from religion," "Rational," etc. They use these self-descriptive terms in juxtaposition to statements of Christians as religious bigots, losers, and brainwashers. On the atheist.org website I read,

"Critical thinking, objectivity, scientific methodology, and peer review are all hallmarks of Atheism. Submission, fear, credulity, and insupportable claims are the hallmarks of religious belief."
When I read statements like this, I can't help but wonder which religion they are referring to. It can't be Christianity, because the Bible teaches us to love God and love our fellow man. It teaches that the fear of the Lord is wisdom, that truthfulness is a way of life, and that eyewitness accounts of the miraculous is one of the evidences for its validity. Of course, the atheist would argue with all of this because he must, in spite of the facts. But still, if an atheist wants to attack religion in general and Christianity specifically, he should, at least, do so objectively. But this doesn't seem to be the hallmark of the atheistic movement; at least not from what I've seen so far."
KJV

United States

#9039 Dec 22, 2012
"Consider the following statements from Atheists:

"Godism is consistent with crime, cruelty, envy, hatred, malice, and uncharitableness."
"As long as religious purposes are served, ethics, inquiry and reason are abandoned."
Are these the statements of tolerance, impartiality, truth, and sound judgment? Not at all. It seems to me that if the atheists who authored the above quotes were in power with their views of religion being cruel, evil, and unreasonable, would they then either imprison the 'offenders' or legislate complete and total annihilation of all things religious? Who would then be full of hatred, malice, and bigotry? It is something to ponder. Does atheism really teach freedom? No. It teaches bondage for its adherents and for those who disagree with it."

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#9040 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too late for you to lie and try to fix things for yourself.
The truth is out – you rejoiced in thinking about the worms burrowing in and out of the eye sockets of your poor dead relative, even as you sat there hypocritically pretending to show respect at her / his funeral.
You were caught in the lie when Reason Personified unwittingly exposed you, ha.
Then RP went off and left you to fend for yourself. Is that atheist loyalty, or what?
Oh well, she'll probably be back and try to gloss it all over, just like you do - but it's too late for her to help you now - her damage is already done.
I bet you'd love to choke her right about now. LMAO
I see

So not only are you on personal terms with the supreme creator being of our universe but you can also read people's thoughts.

Any more brains and you'd be dangerous.

Watford, UK

#9041 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
What she did was a great job of exposing your corruption, and your denial of what you posted. I didn't know the old girl had it in herself to do that much research, lol.
Let's look at it again …...your post 5789:
Khatru wrote:“I was at a funeral of an elderly in-law today.
The deceased was a Christian by culture but not by religion. She wanted a Christian send-off because it was what she was used to.
Anyway, they sang three hymns, one of which was "All Things Bright and Beautiful".
It occurred to me that we could do with another verse - perhaps something like..
"He made the streptococcus
Ebola my oh my
He made the parasitic worms
that burrow through your eye" .
There it is, Khatru – in your own words,“it occurred to me that we could do with another verse” and ended with:“ worms that burrow through your eye”--- see how respectful of your relative you are?
And you're saying a God you don't believe in MADE those worms? So another truth is out about you, then: YOU BELIEVE IN GOD.
LMAO
Thanks again, Reason Personified, for your assistance.
Such a faux sense of moral outrage.

The only person you're fooling is yourself.

I point out the selective blindness of xtians and you attribute all sorts of nonsense to me which I never actually said.

Why do you find my additional verse so morally repugnant but you find nothing wrong with genocide or with eating children?

Watford, UK

#9042 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists Who Celebrate CHRISTmas are Hypocrites
“I say that those who make themselves enemies of God--who, say, come on Christian websites to bleat about their godlessness day and night 365 days of the year--should not partake in CHRISTmas celebrations. Or, if they must, they do so at risk of being huge hypocrites. If you want to be true to your convictions, then celebrate yule or solstice or whatever on December 21st, complete with a log and holly and whatever else you want. But don't take part in Christmas.
(And now you're going to lecture me about the origins of CHRISTmas: the Yule traditions of the CHRISTmas tree, the holly, etc. Holidays are built on other holidays; you can strip away the CHRISTmas tree, holly, etc. and still have CHRISTmas with the celebration of Christ's birth, good cheer, and gift-giving.)
All others are welcome, by the way: cultural Christians, Christmas and Easter church attenders, those without personal relationships with God/Jesus. There's a chance that the festivities might draw them closer to God, yes indeed. But God-haters or God-deniers need not apply. What are YOU all doing celebrating the birth of the Savior?”
http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthread.php...
["Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."--Luke 2:11]
Another idiot who can't be altruistic without Jesus.

Watford, UK

#9043 Dec 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
"Consider the following statements from Atheists:
"Godism is consistent with crime, cruelty, envy, hatred, malice, and uncharitableness."
"As long as religious purposes are served, ethics, inquiry and reason are abandoned."
Are these the statements of tolerance, impartiality, truth, and sound judgment? Not at all. It seems to me that if the atheists who authored the above quotes were in power with their views of religion being cruel, evil, and unreasonable, would they then either imprison the 'offenders' or legislate complete and total annihilation of all things religious? Who would then be full of hatred, malice, and bigotry? It is something to ponder. Does atheism really teach freedom? No. It teaches bondage for its adherents and for those who disagree with it."
You spam the thread just like DIm.

Wait a minute. Could it be?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9044 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
RP, I had left my computer, but I kept laughing about all this research you did (your post 8971 and 8972) and I couldn't resist coming back to tell you thanks once again for your exhaustive research.
Bless your heart, you must have spent at least an hour or two reconstructing all this, and you did such a great job putting at it all together. You have been a real ally.
Have a great day.
And you have a great day too, Khatru. I love the way you add verses about worms eating at your relative's eye sockets before the poor soul is even buried. I can only imagine how pleased the deceased person would be to know how grief stricken you were at the funeral. Most of us wouldn't want to think of worms at such a time - only you have the coldness to pull it off.
LMAO
This is what passes as an original thought? Your spam has better content than your brain, and it's even less redundant than your own thoughts. That's truly sad.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9045 Dec 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
"Atheists often imply that reason is best used by them and not by Christians who, as many say, need psychological help for believing in God. This condescending attitude is a fountain for derogatory comments. I have been called stupid, absurd, illogical, and a slave to my religion. I get the impression from atheists that they are so convinced they have the truth that no other options are available to them, and that if you don't agree with them, you're not smart. Of course, they will deny this and say I am being ridiculous, but this is what I have observed -- right or wrong.
Consider some of the terms atheists use to describe themselves: "Free thinkers," "Free from religion," "Rational," etc. They use these self-descriptive terms in juxtaposition to statements of Christians as religious bigots, losers, and brainwashers. On the atheist.org website I read,
"Critical thinking, objectivity, scientific methodology, and peer review are all hallmarks of Atheism. Submission, fear, credulity, and insupportable claims are the hallmarks of religious belief."
When I read statements like this, I can't help but wonder which religion they are referring to. It can't be Christianity, because the Bible teaches us to love God and love our fellow man. It teaches that the fear of the Lord is wisdom, that truthfulness is a way of life, and that eyewitness accounts of the miraculous is one of the evidences for its validity. Of course, the atheist would argue with all of this because he must, in spite of the facts. But still, if an atheist wants to attack religion in general and Christianity specifically, he should, at least, do so objectively. But this doesn't seem to be the hallmark of the atheistic movement; at least not from what I've seen so far."
Hell, suffering for all eternity just for disagreeing ... that's "love?"

Killing anyone who disagrees, that's "love?"

Destroying all life just because you had a bad day, that's "love?"

Destroying entire civilizations and cultures just because they won't hand over their land to your "chosen," that's "love?"

You don't even know what love means.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9046 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists Who Celebrate CHRISTmas are Hypocrites
“I say that those who make themselves enemies of God--who, say, come on Christian websites to bleat about their godlessness day and night 365 days of the year--should not partake in CHRISTmas celebrations. Or, if they must, they do so at risk of being huge hypocrites. If you want to be true to your convictions, then celebrate yule or solstice or whatever on December 21st, complete with a log and holly and whatever else you want. But don't take part in Christmas.
(And now you're going to lecture me about the origins of CHRISTmas: the Yule traditions of the CHRISTmas tree, the holly, etc. Holidays are built on other holidays; you can strip away the CHRISTmas tree, holly, etc. and still have CHRISTmas with the celebration of Christ's birth, good cheer, and gift-giving.)
All others are welcome, by the way: cultural Christians, Christmas and Easter church attenders, those without personal relationships with God/Jesus. There's a chance that the festivities might draw them closer to God, yes indeed. But God-haters or God-deniers need not apply. What are YOU all doing celebrating the birth of the Savior?”
http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthread.php...
["Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."--Luke 2:11]
Merry Xmas.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#9047 Dec 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what passes as an original thought? Your spam has better content than your brain, and it's even less redundant than your own thoughts. That's truly sad.
This is usually true of writers whose posts consist almost entirely of the works of others. These days I skip most posts that are not written by the poster. I don't come here to find research papers but to have intelligent conversations with interesting writers... seems to happen less and less these days.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9048 Dec 23, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest to Derek that he eliminate ALL technology that has been developed through the scientific method and revert to only those technologies that were available 2000 years ago.
What do you think Derek?
If all of science is a fraud, as you are trying to portray it in your vain attempt to insert religion in its place, then you should have no problem removing any and all scientific advances made in the last 2000 years from your life.
Maybe he should start with the device he posts to topix with. I think chisel and stone communication should be sufficient for him. It would definitely help protect him from all that sinful science stuff.

Earth,TX

#9049 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for finding Khatru's post #5789 where she mentioned worms borrowing through eye sockets in the same post where she said she went to her dead relative's funeral. That shows how much respect Khatru had for her realtive, like I said yesterday.
Instead of the regular hymn "All Things Bright and Beautiful”, which they sang at the funeral, Khatru wanted to add a verse which expressed his (or her) own thoughts:
"He made the streptococcus
Ebola my oh my
He made the parasitic worms
that burrow through your eye"
So, Khatru's thoughts were about worms burrowing in and out of eye sockets. How respectful.
And thank you for including my subsequent remarks about it. It's neat the way you recaptured the whole commentary on Khatru and what I had written about it. I commend you on your research. You're not as bad as I thought.
I know Khatru will love you for this as much as I do.
Merry Christmas, and thanks for your gift!
We want to keep Khatru with us for many years to come, but when she (or he) eventually passes on to become worm food, I hope the family will think of worms crawling in and out of Khatru's eye sockets, just as Khatru thought of them crawling in and out of her relative's eye sockets. It's only fair that she (or he) be remembered with the same respect.
LMAO
Truth is something you are not comfortable with yet?

Earth,TX

#9050 Dec 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
Did you just write to fear god is wisdom, this would be the god of love who just might make you eat your children?

Yeah, religion puts you on your knees, to a thing like that. What a horrid image for humanity, that it must be subseviant to a monster. Gods are just too numerous to be taken as literal truth.
Which god/witch doctor do you pay tithes to? I once lived in service to the offering plate and tithing envelope, until I was reading the bible though the second time.
What I read woke me up, there is too much contradiction, falsehood and anti humanity crap to be from a god who loved anything other than himself. Bible god hates mankind

Earth,TX

#9051 Dec 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
fulfillment for this prophecy is 1 in 5000 x 10 x 2, which is 1 in 100,000, or 1 in 105."
Now put that up against spontaneous life growing to all the life we see today odds. Which is at just about impossible.
That is why
Atheist = 2.04% of the world population
What's the old saying?
Oh ya there's one in every crowd that don't get it. LOL
All the holy books are the same, they all claim the only god, the only right way and all the others say that yours is the lie. We know you are all clueless, and your gods come to most of you from geography or family tradition.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9052 Dec 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Humility is a feeling felt. You can not know what I have felt.
An atheist dictating what others feelings.
You like playing God?
Knowing what's in another's heart?
Your post are of the level of a 12 year old brat child. You care no weight for you are small.
At the end of the day, you're full of sh*t and have absolutely no proof of god.

Watford, UK

#9053 Dec 23, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Did you just write to fear god is wisdom, this would be the god of love who just might make you eat your children?
Yeah, religion puts you on your knees, to a thing like that. What a horrid image for humanity, that it must be subseviant to a monster. Gods are just too numerous to be taken as literal truth.
Which god/witch doctor do you pay tithes to? I once lived in service to the offering plate and tithing envelope, until I was reading the bible though the second time.
What I read woke me up, there is too much contradiction, falsehood and anti humanity crap to be from a god who loved anything other than himself. Bible god hates mankind
Nicely put.

Their whole religion is based on fear and dread.

The Bible is full of scriptures telling the believers to fear their god.

Earth,TX

#9054 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you write "Thanks RP", you were thanking Reason Personified for locating your comments on worms eating at your dead relative's eye sockets. I thought RP did a great job of re-establishing all our posts about worms, didn't you? And how you were thinking of worms while attending the funeral. With friends like RP on your side, how can you go wrong? LMAO!!!!
Anyway, Khatru, I hoped you would enjoy RP's research as much as I did.
I noticed how you wanted to quickly change the subject and get on to something else ... hahaha ...so you just quickly tossed in a bunch of irrelevant hodge-podge thoughts. I could feel your pain. Actually, I almost felt sorry for you trying to hide your embarrassment after RP re-posted your wormy eye socket comments. What in the world was RP thinking? Did she think she was HELPING you? LOL. Her posts were hilarious because she unintentionally backed me up!
You love worms and how they eat away at your dead in-laws, don't you, Knatru?. You even wrote a new verse to an old hymn to express it.
Time passes quickly, and the worms are waiting to get started on your eye sockets.
LMAO
I showed you to be a liar, your words back me up. What Khatru posted was not what you claimed he posted. Maybe you should read his words again, and read it more carefully this time.

Earth,TX

#9055 Dec 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
RP, I had left my computer, but I kept laughing about all this research you did (your post 8971 and 8972) and I couldn't resist coming back to tell you thanks once again for your exhaustive research.
Bless your heart, you must have spent at least an hour or two reconstructing all this, and you did such a great job putting at it all together. You have been a real ally.
Have a great day.
And you have a great day too, Khatru. I love the way you add verses about worms eating at your relative's eye sockets before the poor soul is even buried. I can only imagine how pleased the deceased person would be to know how grief stricken you were at the funeral. Most of us wouldn't want to think of worms at such a time - only you have the coldness to pull it off.
LMAO
It was never about the deceased in-law, it was about your gods creations. You should actually read the post.

Earth,TX

#9056 Dec 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I'll say it.
Show me where it is written
Over and over and over again I have posted it. Look it up yourself, your god owns it, no passing the buck, he himself in anger will make you eat your children.

Earth,TX

#9057 Dec 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you continue lying after your initial lies have been exposed?
Don't you believe that ALL liars are going to burn?
It's in your book of superstitions.
The buybull says that all men are liars, Dim has no choice but to prove it at every opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 36 min blacklagoon 3 78
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Simon 93,358
News American Atheists terminates its president over... 13 hr Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048