Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#8995 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
What would have been different? What are some statistics on children when prayer was taken out of school?
What makes you think that prayer in schools would protect children more than prayer in churches does? Children are raped in churches. Religiosity is positively correlated with a loss of social cohesion and increasing violence.

From http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... :

"Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

"All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

"Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen people’s ability to participate in society ... Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves."

[Original source : "Cross-National Correlations of Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies" by from Gregory Paul http://moses.creighton.edu/jrs/2005/2005-11.p...

The less religion, the better.

Fennario

#8996 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Edited from http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

What are some statistics on children when prayer was taken out of school?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_stati...
Did you look at your link, Dim? At the bottom, it is thoroughly refuted. Here are some highlights:

"The statistics posted above lack citation of any paper at the source link given. As such, it lacks critical information in determining the validity of the statistics."

"None of these statistics [on teen pregnancy and STDs] show evidence of having been caused by not praying in school."

"Unless children are getting married in grade school and high school, lack of prayer in school would not be a factor in divorce rates."

"This entire section says nothing about the increased cuts for public eduction and uses only the SAT as the gauge."

"The increase in abortion may also be attributed to an increase in pregnancies caused by lack of sex education and a professed dislike of protection by the Pope."

Rejected!

Nice work, Dim.

Fennario

#8998 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
David Barton’s America: To Pray or Not to Pray offers statistics on the impact of removing prayer from schools
Barton? Seriously? David Barton had been rejected by legitimate historians for some time now. But his profession reputation has been devastated even more widely than just academia since he was exposed as a fraud and had one of his books recalled by its publisher:

[1] "Texas Education "Expert" Barton's Book Recalled"
http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-educati...

"The most recent book by David Barton, a leading history consultant for the controversial Texas State Board of Education, was recalled by its publisher for Friday due to matters of fact which were not supported at all. Barton's book The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson, was itself found to be guilty of "factual errors" and "historical misinterpretations" by publisher Thomas Nelson. The book itself had sold only 20,000 copies, but its cancellation is a significant embarrassment for one of the most influential writers in Christian publishing."

[2] "Faux historian David Barton exposed as a fraud"
http://www.examiner.com/article/faux-historia...

"Faux historian and Christian extremist David Barton has been exposed as a fraud and a con man pushing a false narrative of American history to gullible Christians willing to sacrifice truth for a false history that promotes Christianity at the expense of historical reality. Christian publisher Thomas Nelson is ending the publication and distribution of Barton’s recent bestseller,“The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson.” The book is being pulled because of gross historical inaccuracies and outright fabrications.

"While reasonable, educated people have long known that Barton was a charlatan and a con man preaching a false history to sell books and promote Christian revisionist propaganda, the fact that Barton’s Christian publisher, at the urging of other Christian scholars, have decided to pull the book indicates that Barton is losing credibility within the community of Christian academics."

This is exactly the kind of drivel that we have come to expect from the Christian apologetics community - especially from you, Dim.

Fennario

#8999 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
What Happened When the Praying Stopped?
“How did the removal of voluntary prayer from the schools of the United States affect our nation as a whole? That question has been answered in detail by a research company in Texas which has gathered and tabulated statistics from hundreds of sources relating to the rates of moral decline in America.

Specialty Research Associates, under the direction of David Barton, has released a report ...
More from the fraud Barton? Aren't you the one pointing your finger and screaming "Fraud!" at everybody else? Then you bring tripe like this to us? You're a fraud yourself. And a hypocrite.

Fennario

#9000 Dec 22, 2012
RHill wrote:
You know, you really shouldn't line the pockets of people who are enriching themselves with your naivety. You godbots line up to participate in the longest running, most destructive hoax in the history of the planet ... and then pat yourselves on the back for it!!! It's really kind of funny ... or sad. I can't decide. LOL
Agreed.
derek4 wrote:
You need to support your position with facts, credible sources, and verified links. Otherwise, you're only offering your opinion, which doesn't count because you carry no weight. You're an unknown, run-of-the-mill atheist, and an echochamber for the godless. You're most unimpressive, lol.
Yeah, RHill. Bring something from David Barton next time if you want to be credible.

Fennario

#9001 Dec 22, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we actually do not have to do this. We don't have to do anything the way *you* want any more than you have to do things that way *we* want. If anything,*you* are the one spamming this board and refusing to take responsibility for the ideas you promote. You post the *opinions* of those that you *think* agree with you, but ignore anything that actually shows your posts are wrong (saying we should take the matter up with the links).

You aren't even an echo chamber: you are a spewing torrent of garbage asking everyone else to clean up your mess and refusing any responsibility at all. Typical theist.
Nice post. This behavior has been beneath contempt.

Fennario

#9002 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
It's odd how they don't want God in the classrooms
That's correct. The United States issued a restraining order for your god to stay at least 100 feet away from all public school.
derek4 wrote:
when some kids grow up and commit mass murders, it's okay to bring God into prison
Not just that. Some of us hope to put him on death row and maybe even give him a lethal injection. You can handle the appeal, right here if you like. But you'd better hurry.

If a god like the one you love existed, and we had the chance, we ought to kill it. That god built Satan, built hell, and gave us immortal souls,most of which were known for eternal torment before they were even created. And you believe that he will reward you with heaven for groveling before him and debasing yourself in his defense.

But what about the unfulfilled promises already? Jesus didn't return soon, your faith can't move mountains or even pebbles, you didn't the promised peace that passeth all understanding, nor the promised fruits of the spirit.

This is the same source that you have the guarantee of heaven from, right?

Like Givemeliberty says, all you got was the magic Jesus Beans. You did get the beans, didn't you?

Nicely played.
KJV

United States

#9003 Dec 22, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>So this god will still make you eat your children?
Again I'll say it.
Show me where it is written
KJV

United States

#9004 Dec 22, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. You a big mongoose alright. LOL
??

Fennario

#9005 Dec 22, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ya good luck with that half wit.
That's Dim, not Half. They look alike. Half is the oldest brother, Dim is the middle child. Little Nit is the baby of the family.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9006 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for finding Khatru's post #5789 where she mentioned worms borrowing through eye sockets in the same post where she said she went to her dead relative's funeral. That shows how much respect Khatru had for her realtive, like I said yesterday.
Instead of the regular hymn "All Things Bright and Beautiful”, which they sang at the funeral, Khatru wanted to add a verse which expressed his (or her) own thoughts:
"He made the streptococcus
Ebola my oh my
He made the parasitic worms
that burrow through your eye"
So, Khatru's thoughts were about worms burrowing in and out of eye sockets. How respectful.
And thank you for including my subsequent remarks about it. It's neat the way you recaptured the whole commentary on Khatru and what I had written about it. I commend you on your research. You're not as bad as I thought.
I know Khatru will love you for this as much as I do.
Merry Christmas, and thanks for your gift!
We want to keep Khatru with us for many years to come, but when she (or he) eventually passes on to become worm food, I hope the family will think of worms crawling in and out of Khatru's eye sockets, just as Khatru thought of them crawling in and out of her relative's eye sockets. It's only fair that she (or he) be remembered with the same respect.
LMAO
You're clutching at straws, Dim.

Give it up, your lies are finding you out.

My extra verse was simply an illustration of the willful blindness of xtians. Crediting their invisible sky pixie with creating all the nice things with nary a mention of the foul and disgusting things that xtians also believe their god created.

I realise that you'll immediately associate "foul and disgusting" with xtians but try and put that thought out of your head.

Nottingham, UK

#9007 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you write "Thanks RP", you were thanking Reason Personified for locating your comments on worms eating at your dead relative's eye sockets. I thought RP did a great job of re-establishing all our posts about worms, didn't you? And how you were thinking of worms while attending the funeral. With friends like RP on your side, how can you go wrong? LMAO!!!!
Anyway, Khatru, I hoped you would enjoy RP's research as much as I did.
I noticed how you wanted to quickly change the subject and get on to something else ... hahaha ...so you just quickly tossed in a bunch of irrelevant hodge-podge thoughts. I could feel your pain. Actually, I almost felt sorry for you trying to hide your embarrassment after RP re-posted your wormy eye socket comments. What in the world was RP thinking? Did she think she was HELPING you? LOL. Her posts were hilarious because she unintentionally backed me up!
You love worms and how they eat away at your dead in-laws, don't you, Knatru?. You even wrote a new verse to an old hymn to express it.
Time passes quickly, and the worms are waiting to get started on your eye sockets.
LMAO
Why do you continue lying after your initial lies have been exposed?

Don't you believe that ALL liars are going to burn?

It's in your book of superstitions.

Nottingham, UK

#9008 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I read every link I post
Really?

Did you read this link that you posted?

http://mileswmathis.com/atheism.html

Nottingham, UK

#9009 Dec 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
RP, I had left my computer, but I kept laughing about all this research you did (your post 8971 and 8972) and I couldn't resist coming back to tell you thanks once again for your exhaustive research.
Bless your heart, you must have spent at least an hour or two reconstructing all this, and you did such a great job putting at it all together. You have been a real ally.
Have a great day.
And you have a great day too, Khatru. I love the way you add verses about worms eating at your relative's eye sockets before the poor soul is even buried. I can only imagine how pleased the deceased person would be to know how grief stricken you were at the funeral. Most of us wouldn't want to think of worms at such a time - only you have the coldness to pull it off.
LMAO
She did a great job of highlighting your lies.

Nottingham, UK

#9010 Dec 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you look at your link, Dim? At the bottom, it is thoroughly refuted. Here are some highlights:
"The statistics posted above lack citation of any paper at the source link given. As such, it lacks critical information in determining the validity of the statistics."
"None of these statistics [on teen pregnancy and STDs] show evidence of having been caused by not praying in school."
"Unless children are getting married in grade school and high school, lack of prayer in school would not be a factor in divorce rates."
"This entire section says nothing about the increased cuts for public eduction and uses only the SAT as the gauge."
"The increase in abortion may also be attributed to an increase in pregnancies caused by lack of sex education and a professed dislike of protection by the Pope."
Rejected!
Nice work, Dim.
Lol

Dim's self-refuting links.

How very like the Bible.

Nottingham, UK

#9011 Dec 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I'll say it.
Show me where it is written
I don't know what scripture RP had in mind but why don't you try this one on for size?

Jeremiah 9:1-9

This mentions the grisly fate of the children who are being sacrificed in fire to Baal.

What is Jehovah going to do about this? Will he rescue these innocent children and save them from their evil parents?

Nope. Jehovah will make the people eat their children.

There's nothing good about this - not one thing. However, I just know that you'll try and twist it around and claim that it's an example of your god's transcendent love.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9012 Dec 22, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
How many times do I have to tell you science played no role in my atheism no matter how much you scream and wail. Reading the bible objectively is what made me an atheist. Again science played no role reason the bible is 100% of the reason I am an atheist to this day.
Again I have never had a picture of a baby as usual you are wrong. In fact here we go I or at had the Jesus with raptor picture followed by the church hating Kate Upton then Malala the hero of the year who I a teen ager not remotely a baby then I had my funny Manny Lost pictures. That's it.
It's ok dim you should be used to being proven factually wrong on here. In the end you make a jackass out of yourself for our amusement.
<quoted text>
So you agree that science is fraudulent and you want nothing to do with it.

You should put a picture of a blooming idiot on your avatar.

And, like I said, you read the Bible from cover to cover. You read the front cover where it says “Holy Bible”, then you turned it over and you read the back cover where the bar code was glued on, lol.

“You're a 48 year old who wears a moo moo and slippers all day. You have big thick glasses, you have no clue what makeup is, you have more gray hair each day, you had it dyed once but now it has grown out about 8 inches. Your breast are down to your belly and are as flat as a skunk run over by a convoy.
You've not shaved you legs or arm pits in years. Yes you're living in a dream land. Except I know you."

Location hidden

#9013 Dec 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're clutching at straws, Dim.
Give it up, your lies are finding you out.
My extra verse was simply an illustration of the willful blindness of xtians. Crediting their invisible sky pixie with creating all the nice things with nary a mention of the foul and disgusting things that xtians also believe their god created.
I realise that you'll immediately associate "foul and disgusting" with xtians but try and put that thought out of your head.
It's too late for you to lie and try to fix things for yourself.

The truth is out – you rejoiced in thinking about the worms burrowing in and out of the eye sockets of your poor dead relative, even as you sat there hypocritically pretending to show respect at her / his funeral.

You were caught in the lie when Reason Personified unwittingly exposed you, ha.

Then RP went off and left you to fend for yourself. Is that atheist loyalty, or what?

Oh well, she'll probably be back and try to gloss it all over, just like you do - but it's too late for her to help you now - her damage is already done.

I bet you'd love to choke her right about now. LMAO

Location hidden

#9014 Dec 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
She did a great job of highlighting your lies.
What she did was a great job of exposing your corruption, and your denial of what you posted. I didn't know the old girl had it in herself to do that much research, lol.

Let's look at it again …...your post 5789:

Khatru wrote:“I was at a funeral of an elderly in-law today.
The deceased was a Christian by culture but not by religion. She wanted a Christian send-off because it was what she was used to.
Anyway, they sang three hymns, one of which was "All Things Bright and Beautiful".
It occurred to me that we could do with another verse - perhaps something like..
"He made the streptococcus
Ebola my oh my
He made the parasitic worms
that burrow through your eye" .

There it is, Khatru – in your own words,“it occurred to me that we could do with another verse” and ended with:“ worms that burrow through your eye”--- see how respectful of your relative you are?

And you're saying a God you don't believe in MADE those worms? So another truth is out about you, then: YOU BELIEVE IN GOD.

LMAO

Thanks again, Reason Personified, for your assistance.

Location hidden

#9015 Dec 22, 2012
Atheists are showing up for Christmas in public

Damon Vix didn’t have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica, Calif. He just joined the festivities.

The atheist’s anti-God message, alongside a life-sized Nativity display in a park overlooking the beach, ignited a debate that burned brighter than any holiday candle.

Santa Monica officials snuffed out the city’s holiday tradition this year rather than referee the religious rumble, prompting churches that have set up a 14-scene Christian diorama for decades to sue over freedom of speech violations. Their attorney will ask a federal judge Monday to resurrect the depiction of Jesus’ birth, while the city aims to eject the case.

“It’s a sad, sad commentary on the attitudes of the day that a nearly 60-year-old Christmas tradition is now having to hunt for a home, something like our savior had to hunt for a place to be born because the world was not interested,” said Hunter Jameson, head of the nonprofit Santa Monica Nativity Scene Committee, the group that is suing.

Missing from the courtroom drama will be Vix and his fellow atheists, who are not parties to the case. Their role outside court highlights a tactical shift as atheists evolve into a vocal minority eager to get their views into the public square.

[Atheists dictating their beliefs and exposing themselves as scrooges and joy stealers.]

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/30/3942370/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min Christyna 11,169
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 1 hr emperorjohn 328
Religion Down Suicide Up 1 hr Christyna 60
News Speaking for God 3 hr Jaimie 547
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Patrick 9,556
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 3 hr woodtick57 36
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Patrick 254,881
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Patrick 4,249
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr Brian_G 29,391
More from around the web