Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#8896 Dec 20, 2012
More of your answer..

And We made from water every living thing...(21:31)
He Who has made perfect everything He has created. and He began the creation of man from clay.(32:8)
The word in the Arabic text for clay is teen which means earth mixed with a quantity of water which becomes adhesive. According to the Quran, therefore, human life originated in a substance which was a mixture of earth and water which, in the course of time, developed into man. In the fore-going verses we are told that an early initial stage in the evolution of man was when he was given a particular form from wet earth. That was followed by a stage when man began to be procreated through function of the sex organs of the male and female of his species. In the words of the Holy Quran:

Then He made His progeny from an extract of an insignificant fluid.(32:9)
Did We not create you from an insignificant fluid, and we placed it in a safe place?(77:22)

These verses indicate very clearly that man's origin in dry earth or rock was one stage from which step by step he passed through a stage when it was mixed with water causing the development of a rudimentary form of life which later on began to procreate through the functioning of the sex organs which had developed in the male and female. All these stages represent different periods of time the duration of which can at best be only vaguely conjectured or imagined.

The Holy Quran mentions a general principle with regard to the creation of man:

And that with thy Lord is the final judgment; and that it is He Who makes people laugh and makes them weep; and it is he Who causes death and gives life; and that He creates the pairs, male and female, from a sperm-drop when it is emitted; and that it is for Him to bring forth the second creation.(53:43-48)

Nottingham, UK

#8897 Dec 20, 2012
There you go, Langoliers.

That's the answer you have, isn't it?

Nottingham, UK

#8898 Dec 20, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm surprised you would actually read something other then a comic book.
"The Genesis account of God’s creation of the first male and female gives a clear picture that is extremely different from evolutionary views in our culture. God designed both the man and woman in His own image equally (Genesis 1:26–27).
Adam was created first, but God decreed that it was not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18). Therefore, God fashioned Eve out of Adam’s rib. The well-known Bible commentator Matthew Henry said that Eve was “made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”
That “Submission” Command
Many women believe that the Bible’s command for wives to “submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord”(Ephesians 5:22–23, NKJV) places a woman in an inferior role to her husband. However, this is not the case.
The concept of submission is found throughout the Bible. One of the keys to maintaining the order God desires is recognizing the authority structure He established. Of course, the best example of one who submitted to authority is our Creator and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who submitted to God and fulfilled the role He was called to by the Father (Matthew 26:36–39; Philippians 2:5–8).
The Creator chose to form man first and to entrust to him the role of leader in the home, for His glory. Obviously, man is not the ultimate authority, but is also under authority (1 Corinthians 11:3). The Bible commands the husband to be a loving servant leader who models the sacrificial love that Christ has showered on the church (Ephesians 5:23–33)—a love that led to His death on the Cross on our behalf.
God designed both the man and woman in His own image equally. Yet they were designed to fulfill different roles.
God assigned the married woman the responsibility of being a helpmate to her husband (Genesis 2:18, 20). A helpmate (or helper) is a position of great responsibility and gentle strength. It is not a position of weakness as often associated with the command of submission (Ephesians 5). A godly helpmate entrusts herself to God, follows her husband’s lead, and uses her gifts and abilities to effectively support and aid her husband.
Josh Harris, author and speaker, reaffirms this biblical teaching in his book Boy Meets Girl.
From the first two chapters of the Bible we learn that Adam and Eve were created equal in God’s sight. Within the context of their equality, God assigned men and women different roles. He made Adam first, signifying his unique role as leader and initiator. He created Eve from Adam and brought her to Adam to be his helper in the tasks God had assigned him. She was made to complement, nourish, and help her husband. God’s greatest gift to man was “a helper suitable for him”(Genesis 2:18). This doesn’t minimize a woman’s role, but it does define it.
Men and women were created equal, yet different. And the fact that we’re different is wonderful.
God didn’t make us to duplicate each other, but to complement each other. The point here is not that Adam was better than Eve, just as God the Father is not “better” than God the Son. Father and Son are equal in essence, power, glory, but they have different roles; and the Son joyfully submits to the Father’s will (1 Corinthians 15:28). So in marriage a husband and wife are equal, even though Scripture tells the wife to joyfully submit to her husband’s leadership."
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v...
Man was made in your god's image?

Does that mean your god has a foreskin?

Nottingham, UK

#8899 Dec 20, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Women truly do enjoy the feel of a circumcised penis. A penis sliding back and forth in its own foreskin has far less sensation for the woman.
You know what most women enjoy? LOL
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
We see this sort of thing all the time.

Tell a Christian that mutilating a baby's genitals is barbaric and they'll usually respond with some bunk about circumcision being healthful and hygienic.
Now I can add to this how your god told his men to get rid of their foreskins so that women can have a more fulfilling sex life.

Nottingham, UK

#8900 Dec 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What you can read? When did this happen?
"So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
Each of these three lines makes a point. Line one asserts the divine creation of man. We came from God. Line two overlaps with line one, except that it highlights the divine image in man. We bear a resemblance to God. Line three boldly affirms the dual sexuality of man. We are male and female. Nowhere else in Genesis 1 is sexuality referred to;
but human sexuality, superior to animal sexuality, merits the simple dignity given it here. Further, Moses doubtless intends to imply the equality of the sexes, for both male and female display the glory of God’s image with equal brilliance:“… in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” This is consistent with God’s intention, stated in verse 26, that both sexes should rule:“… and let them rule.…”
Finally, in verse 28, God pronounces His benediction on man. In verse 22, God spoke His blessing out over the mass of the lower creatures. But here in verse 28 we read,“God blessed them and said to them.…” With man alone, male and female alike without distinction, God shares an I-thou relationship. In His benediction the Creator also authorizes male and female together to carry out their mission to rule the lower creation.
To sum up: Man was created as royalty in God’s world, male and female alike bearing the divine glory equally.
Please take your superstitious mumbo jumbo somewhere else.

How does man rule the lower creation?

I guess every great white shark defers to the reign of man?

LOL

Nottingham, UK

#8901 Dec 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Khatru please do answer
How did life start?
How did the first life live long enough to figure out how to reproduce?
Was the first life plant or animal?
How did it split to both plant and animal?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer
Nice post Langoliers let's see what puppet boy come up with.
Done - I provided the answer that Langoliers claims to know.

Nottingham, UK

#8902 Dec 20, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You are most women? ha, ha, somebody lied to you.
ROFLMAO!!

A Christian telling us about sex - Ha!!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#8903 Dec 20, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
mar·riage\ˈmer-ij,ˈma-rij\
noun
1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law:
Gays can have a civil union with all the same rights as marriage. Just don't change the meaning of a word to fit your needs. Like you're trying to change the meaning of atheist to add to your congregation.
Khatru,
How did life start?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer.
noun
1 a (1): the state of being united.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8904 Dec 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would expect you to ignore my posts. Am I surprised? No. Do I care? No.
Your posts are always light reading(short, irrelevant; without substance).
So I hardly ever skip them since they're a breeze.
But, speaking of "off topic" - what do my posts have to do with proof of deities, and when did I say I was in the forum to prove God to you? So, you're off topic.
Why don't you reinstall your avatar of the baby picture? I always thought it was a great symbol of your undeveloped mind. It becomes you so.
Well, your posts are long, full of lies, meaningless, and a reflection of your wasted life.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#8905 Dec 20, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
noun
1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law:
Gays can have a civil union with all the same rights as marriage. Just don't change the meaning of a word to fit your needs. Like you're trying to change the meaning of atheist to add to your congregation.
Khatru,
How did life start?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer.
Look, a free lesson for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

First christian marriages were polygamy, do you really think all the wives were straight?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#8908 Dec 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!
You don't know how life started. The odds of life starting by spontaneous
Self generation is so big that any sane
Mathematician would call it impossible and for us to be here right now using this spontaneous self generation of life to mutation that came up with us, well it's more less impossible even if you made the universe twice it's guessed age of 13.7 billion years.
We know how life started. It's written in the first few pages of the book you hate.
Why should anyone believe the bible above other religious books?
"Unique among all books ever written, the Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter—no errors."
http://www.reasons.org/articles/articles/fulf...
Discard all after the fact, then discard all that are akin to predicting it will rain in Seattle, then discard all the ones fulfilled by force ... and you have zero.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8909 Dec 20, 2012
Dear God,
Why do you allow so much violence in our schools?
-A concerned student

Dear Concerned Student:
I'm not allowed in schools.
-God

Location hidden

#8910 Dec 20, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you have a simplistic non-explanation that fails to address any of the issues involved.
There is nothing simplistic about God. When you make those kind of statements, you show us your own weak, feeble, narrow mind.

Location hidden

#8911 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have never had a baby picture as my profile picture. Wow you can't even get that right can you half wit?
Your off topic spam means nothing because they in no way offer proof for deities so basically you are babbling.
You see jackass I became an atheist by reading the bible cover to cover and shaking my head that people would fall for it. Evolution, the Big Bang science in general had zilch to do with my atheism then and my atheism now. Honestly that is the case for many of us.
So when a mouth breather like you posts something about a scientist caught another scientist doing something wrong it's not like when we post about a priest/preacher raping children. We don't worship science we accept it but that has nothing to do with atheism in fact more believers by the day are accepting evolution and the Big Bang.
A better way for you to spam I mean post is post a link and a brief summary of what you want people to see there. It won't gunk up the threads and some may actually read what you post.
<quoted text>
If it wasn't a baby, then I have no idea what was in your retarded avatar, nor would I waste 10 seconds to go back and look through your old posts to find out what it was. It looked like a sicko baby. I recall someone else saying the same thing so if you don't want to create that impression, then don't choose that kind of image.

You read the Bible from cover to cover? Yeah, you read the front cover where it says Holy Bible and then you turned it over and read the bar code the store attached to the back cover, lol.

Unfortunately for you, I don't post to your specifications. If you don't want to gunk up the threads, you might try abandoning your non constructive comments which say nothing, as you fail to contribute anything meaningful, and I will expect you to encourage your fellow science god cohorts to do the same.

And if you don't like spam, get busy and report Khatru's posts 8893 through 8897 SPAM, SPAM, SPAM. LMAO

Location hidden

#8912 Dec 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Dishonest BSer.
<quoted text>
Yep, that's what you are thanks for bringing it to our attention daily.

Location hidden

#8913 Dec 20, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Definition of marriage
(in some jurisdictions) a union between partners of the same
sex
You had to do a lot of looking to find a dictionary that met with your requirements, didn't you? However, we saw no link, so perhaps you just rewrote the dictionary to suit your own needs.

When will you start working on rewriting the United States Constitution? I mean, where you live, I don't think you have any say in it, but what the heck, give it a shot, lol.

Location hidden

#8914 Dec 20, 2012
The Orgueil Meteorite, 1864 (May 1864)

On May 14, 1864 a meteor shower fell in southern France, near the town of Peillerot. The meteorites, which were composed of carbonaceous chondrite, were given the name 'Orgueil.' Samples of the meteor shower were collected and sent to the Muse d'Histoire Naturelle in Montauban, France. From there samples were disseminated to other museums throughout Europe, but two of the meteorites remained in Montauban, where they were sealed inside a glass jar.

The meteorites remained all but forgotten until the early 1960s, when researchers unsealed one of the glass jars and discovered something remarkable. There were plant seeds embedded deep within the meteorite, within the glassy fusion layer created from the heat of passing through the atmosphere. This indicated that the plant seeds were of extraterrestrial origin.

But closer examination revealed that the plant seeds were from France and that the entire meteorite was an elaborately created fake. The fusion layer was actually dried glue.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/di...

[Oh well..........as Charles Darwin once said: "I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science."]

Location hidden

#8915 Dec 20, 2012
The Stone Age Discoveries of Shinichi Fujimura

As a young man, Shinichi Fujimura developed an interest in Japan's pre-history and taught himself archaeology. Soon he was making spectacular finds that caught the attention of researchers around the world. By the age of 50, he had established himself as one of Japan's leading archaeologists.

Fujimura's first major discovery occurred in 1981 when he found stoneware that dated back 40,000 years the oldest stoneware ever found in Japan. After this discovery his career, and reputation, took off. During the following years, he worked on over 150 archaeological projects around Japan, managing to consistently find increasingly older artifacts that pushed back the limits of Japan's known pre-history. His skill at finding ancient artifacts was so great that a rumor began to spread that he had "divine hands."

Fujimura's career was buoyed by the popularity of archaeology in Japan. Japanese book shops have entire sections devoted to Stone Age Japan, and archaeological discoveries frequently make the front pages of newspapers. School children were taught about Fujimura's finds, and many textbooks contained photographs of Stone Age artifacts discovered by him.

In 2000, Fujimura was excavating a prehistoric site near the town of Tsukidate in the Miyagi Prefecture, about 186 miles northeast of Tokyo. Work at the dig had been proceeding for a while, and a number of important finds had already been made. The town of Tsukidate was enjoying the tourism trade the site attracted. It had created a signature drink, "Early Man," that it sold to tourists, and it had changed its official slogan to "The town with the same skies viewed by early man."

On October 22, 2000 Fujimura and his team announced the discovery of a cluster of stone pieces they believed to be the work of primitive people. They also found several holes that, they hypothesized, had held pillars supporting primitive dwellings. The stones and holes were believed to be over 600,000 years old, making them one of the oldest signs of human habitation in the world. For this reason, the discovery drew international attention.

But on November 5 the Mainichi Shimbun published three pictures on its front page showing Fujimura digging holes at the site and burying artifacts he later dug up and announced as major finds. The artifacts were supposedly Stone Age rocks that had been modified by humans for cutting and scraping. The Mainichi Shimbun had taken the photographs in secret, but did not publish them until it confirmed with Fujimura that he had indeed buried the artifacts himself.

At a press conference on November 5 Fujimura confessed he had planted Stone Age artifacts at the site, and had faked many discoveries.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/pe...

[Did you catch this part?-School children were taught about Fujimura's finds, and many textbooks contained photographs of Stone Age artifacts discovered by him.]

[Many textbooks contain teaching of Darwin's fraudulent theory of evolution, also, and some textbooks still contain Haeckel's fraudulent drawings.]

Location hidden

#8916 Dec 20, 2012
From Science Magazine:

Experimental Error: Forging a Head

Before announcing your find, don't forget to remove the quotation marks around words such as "expert" and "discovery." Delete winking emoticons, too.

Last month, I judged a middle school science fair. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with cutting-edge research, such as the effects of music on plant growth, or the effects of soda on plant growth, or the reasons budding young scientists should never, ever be allowed to own hamsters.

One student did a project about landfills. Her background research described the importance of preventing the release of certain chemicals into the atmosphere -- chemicals such as dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO).

I smiled when I read that. The "evils" of DHMO are part of a famous science hoax, a very funny one that supposedly began more than 20 years ago on the University of California, Santa Cruz, campus. It crops up every so often.

Propaganda opposing DHMO cites the substance's presence in acid rain, use in naval warfare, and the fact that professional athletes can become dependent on its performance-enhancing abilities. Seriously, you should conduct a Google search of DHMO if you haven't seen this list. It's even funnier than that YouTube video showing the dancing Christmas tree surprising the cat.(If you haven't figured out yet what dihydrogen monoxide is, write out the chemical formula. Really? Okay, it's water. Now go tear up your doctoral diploma.)

I used to use the dihydrogen monoxide hoax on the first day of a class I taught about the public perception of science. After distributing a DHMO "fact sheet" detailing its dangers, I'd ask the students to decide the fate of this chemical. Most semesters, between one-quarter and one-half of the students voted to regulate or ban outright the scary-sounding DHMO.

These were college students. Mostly science majors. At Johns Hopkins University. Which must be a smart school because that's where they filmed The Social Network.

Hoaxes have infiltrated science for centuries, from fake fossils (Piltdown Man, archaeoraptor, Calaveras skull) to fake medical conditions (cello scrotum, the disappearing blonde gene) to fake animals (Ompax spatuloides, Pacific Northwest tree octopus, Labradoodle).

[The author goes on to instruct students on how to be successful at creating a scientific hoax and get away with it, then he makes this comment near the end:We believe things simply because they're relayed to us by other scientists. We believe what we read in journals, and we believe what our teachers tell us. Well, some of us do......particularly atheists, lol.]
http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_m...

Location hidden

#8917 Dec 20, 2012
Oh, what the heck; let's not forget this old fake:

From MSNBC:

The Piltdown Hoax is one of the most successful scientific frauds in history. In December 1912, British paleontologist Arthur Smith Woodward and amateur antiquarian Charles Dawson announced to the world that they'd found an amazing early human fossil in Piltdown, England. The curious specimen had a humanlike skull with an apelike jaw. Given the scientific name Eoanthropus dawsoni, it was more commonly called Piltdown Man. Dawson and Woodward also reported that alongside Piltdown Man were a number of other stunning finds: stone tools, fossilized mammals and even an elephant bone. In 1916, Dawson claimed to have found more remains at a second site nearby. According to Stringer's telling, some scientists did question the Piltdown Man bonanza discovery. They didn't immediately cry fraud, but suspected the fossil deposits had simply been mixed together over time, suggesting the ape jaw and humanlike skull weren't actually associated. But it wasn't until the 1950s that Piltdown Man was exposed for the fraud it was. Chemical studies found the fossil to be less than 50,000 years old, not 1 million years as Dawson and Woodward claimed. Further testing showed the skull was likely from a modern human and the jaw probably from a modern orangutan.
http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2012...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Morse 233,227
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 min Morse 5,963
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr red and right 2,628
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr Richardfs 179
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 9 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web