Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 420)

Showing posts 8,381 - 8,400 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Woman was created for man? Who was man created for then?
Genesis 2:5. before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown. For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground

Man: field hand

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I feel that children have more opportunities to learn when there are both a male and female role model to learn from.
Are you proposing to outlaw divorce, or is it only in the case of gays that you want to legally prevent the possibility of only one gender raising children?

The bottom line is that your reason for your position is quite obviously that you think that you know what Jesus wants to impose on others, and you're ready to impose it on them. All you need is a reason that you hope will be acceptable to non-Christians. So, people like you and Matt Slick try to think them up.

But in the end, you have no burden for children raised only by men or women. You simply choose to deny gay men and women equal protection under the law in service of a panty sniffing mythological creature. Somebody told you that Jesus doesn't approve, so neither do you. And that's how it works - just that simply: priests speak through the fiction of a god, people like you follow, and people that neither of you have ever met suffer.

We want these churches to stop training tens of millions of Americans to "love one another" and "do unto others" like that. I'll bet you're a pretty fair guy in the areas in which your church hasn't instructed you.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
If children are adopted by same gender parents and put at a disadvantage, then making some one feel "comfortable" with themselves and the life style they have chosen comes at the expense of another individual.
Where is your evidence of that disadvantage, choice,and expense?

It's remarkable that you continue to offer arguments like this when you and I both know what your primary objection is. I would prefer that you just stick to that: you have been taught that Jesus wants you to prevent gay people from enjoying the same rights and dignity as others. You would object to these marriages even when no children were involved.

In fact, that was another of Matt Slicks dishonest objections: gays don't reproduce, which was presented as damaging to society just as you now present the opposite as damaging.

Your church is horribly unfair. Many of us want it out of the people shaping business.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

KJV wrote:
A true atheist could not care less.
We'll tell you who the "true atheists" are and what they think, not the other way around.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are a God hating Theist.
Got it!!
Yawn...be quiet troll
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

It's only ever a misinterpretation if a religitard disagrees with, or is embarassed by, it...
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Canard. If one can "misinterpret" then so can you. Thus all interpretations are meaningless, thus your entire scripture is meaningless.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this babble? Do you read your own post at all? Do you believe your crap that you post or are you like that lady in 50 first dates? Do you have to start each day learning how to read and write all over again? You show no signs of getting beyond that boundary.
Get your freaky hair cut and start looking like a man. Your a very sick sick person.
Aw, you're jealous.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What point is that? You have a thing about Mormons? Just because you're a failed and ejected Mormon.
This time of year I watch the Mormon tabernacle choir and I enjoyed it immensely such beauty what a sound and setting then I come on these threads and see your picture and cannot for the life of me figure out why you even bother living. And yet you think you way of life is better! God you're one sick puppy.
A failed mormon is a successful human.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of that has been mistranslated. See New Testament Manuel ( https://si.lds.org/bc/seminary/content/librar... ) Chapter 36 under question "Should women keep silent in church?"
See also chapter 42 under question "How Should a Wife "Submit" to Her Husband?" (clarifies that the word for "submit" in the Greek does NOT imply an inferiority)
Although I was just providing a small example, I very much doubt that the gratuitous sexism found throughout the Bible can be passed off as a mistranslation.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture can be misinterpreted and taken out of context. The best evidence we can find regarding the condition of the woman in the church is from the testimonies of the women themselves.
This women was my internal relations professor:
http://mormonscholarstestify.org/1718/valerie...
In a similar way to passing the rampant sexism off as a mistranslation, I find it hard to concur with you that it's being taken out of context.

Men were in charge and women were not worthy of equal treatment.

You'd have thought that any cosmic mega-being would have done more to ensure gender equality.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Thinking wrote:
You should check your posts, dishonest BSer.
<quoted text>
"Jewellery" - LOL - I'm afraid you have things backwards - you should be checking your own posts, you pathetic illiterate mongoloid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

An Atheist against Neo-Darwinistic Evolution

“I have been delighted with what I have read so far of Thomas Nagel’s Mind and Cosmos. As fully declared by the book’s subtitle–”Why the materialist neo-Darwinian conception of nature is almost certainly false”–Nagel takes the position that evolution (that is, the concept that life on earth is purely the result of natural selection acting on random variations) is simply not true and is insufficient as an explanation for what we see all around us. Going further, he points out that if there can be no materialist reduction life to simple, unguided action by unbiased physical and chemical laws, then there must be something in addition to those physical and chemical laws at work–something that is in some way goal-oriented.

Thomas Nagel is unquestionably an atheist and this makes his conclusions, I believe, all the more damaging to the materialist cause: He has no religious-based objection to evolution and is not interested in defending a deity of any sort.”
http://wallacegsmith.wordpress.com/2012/12/10...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False, by Thomas Nagel

“The modern materialist approach to life has conspicuously failed to explain such central mind-related features of our world as consciousness, intentionality, meaning, and value. This failure to account for something so integral to nature as mind, argues philosopher Thomas Nagel, is a major problem, threatening to unravel the entire naturalistic world picture, extending to biology, evolutionary theory, and cosmology.

Since minds are features of biological systems that have developed through evolution, the standard materialist version of evolutionary biology is fundamentally incomplete. And the cosmological history that led to the origin of life and the coming into existence of the conditions for evolution cannot be a merely materialist history, either. An adequate conception of nature would have to explain the appearance in the universe of materially irreducible conscious minds, as such.

Nagel's skepticism is not based on religious belief or on a belief in any definite alternative. In Mind and Cosmos, he does suggest that if the materialist account is wrong, then principles of a different kind may also be at work in the history of nature, principles of the growth of order that are in their logical form teleological rather than mechanistic.

In spite of the great achievements of the physical sciences, reductive materialism is a world view ripe for displacement. Nagel shows that to recognize its limits is the first step in looking for alternatives, or at least in being open to their possibility.”
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199919755

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

WHY IS THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION NOT THE "BASIS OF BIOLOGY"?

“One claim that is frequently repeated by evolutionists is the lie that the theory of evolution is the basis of biology… Those who put forward this claim suggest that biology could not develop, or even exist, without the theory of evolution. This claim actually stems from a demagogy born out of despair. The philosopher Professor Arda Denkel, one of the foremost names in Turkish science, makes the following comment on this subject:

For instance, it is quite wrong to suggest that "Rejecting the theory of evolution means rejecting the biological and geological sciences and the discoveries of physics and chemistry." Because in order to make such an inference (here a modus tollens) there need to be some propositions regarding chemical, physical, geological and biological discoveries that imply the theory of evolution. However, the discoveries, or statements of them, do not imply the theory. Therefore, they do not prove it.”

continued at conclusion section:

In our day, there is no reason why science should remain tied to the theory of evolution. Science is based on observation and experimentation. Evolution, on the other hand, is a hypothesis regarding an unobservable past. Furthermore, the theory's claims and propositions have always been disproved by science and the laws of logic. Science will suffer no loss, of course, when this hypothesis is abandoned. The American biologist G. W. Harper has this to say on the subject:

It is frequently claimed that Darwinism is central to modern biology. On the contrary, if all references to Darwinism suddenly disappeared, biology would remain substantially unchanged… 24

In fact, quite to the contrary, science will progress in a much faster and healthier manner when it is freed from the insistence of a theory full of dogmatism, prejudice, nonsense, and fabrication.”
http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/20questions04...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
A failed mormon is a successful human.
"a successful human" - something you know nothing about.....

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Hey Derek any chance your off topic spam will have some proof for deities? If not it will all be ignored as usual.

Seriously gang when are you going to start reporting that forum clogging spambot?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I think priority should be given to traditional married couples, and the law seems to be leaning that way in some states.
Why do you want to treat gay people less favourably than hetero people?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked my wife if she felt oppressed....she laughed at me.
Biblical evidences placing women in high regard:
-In Christ's time women were expected to render only temporal service. Christ Taught Mary and Martha that women could also participate in spiritual work. He didn't just see them as servants, he invited them to be his disciples.
-In Christ's time women held church in their homes, and a woman named Phebe held an ecclesiastical position in her congregation.
For more information about the role of women in Christ's church see http://www.lds.org/relief-society/daughters-i... and download the book "Daughters of My Kingdom" in either PDF or MP3 formats.
In secular societies where religion has lost control, you'll find empowered women who are by and large treated equally to men.

A husband saying he is better than his wife at maths might well be a statement of fact.

A husband saying that he is the head of the family, that his wife does not have the same rights as he does, is unclean at certain times of the month, and if she has the temerity to have had a sex life before their marriage (or has otherwise lost her hymen) then he can have her killed....that would be chauvanism (at the very least).

All this makes perfect sense from a historical/cultural point of view.

It makes zero sense from the point of view that a loving god had anything to with the Bible.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Proverbs 31:10
An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
Faithful & Trustworthy
1 Timothy 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
Gracious & Honorable
Proverbs 11:16 A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches.
Helpful
Genesis 2:18, 22-24 Then the LORD God said,“It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”… And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said,“This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Kindhearted & Generous
Proverbs 31:20-21 She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Titus 2:2-5 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, the word of God
Proverbs 14:1 The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.
Beautiful Women in the Bible
Genesis 12:11, 14 When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife,“I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance … When Abram entered Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.
Genesis 24:16 The young woman was very attractive in appearance, a maiden whom no man had known. She went down to the spring and filled her jar and came up.
Ruth 1:16-17 But Ruth said,“Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”
Esther 2:7 He was bringing up Hadassah, that is Esther, the daughter of his uncle, for she had neither father nor mother. The young woman had a beautiful figure and was lovely to look at, and when her father and her mother died, Mordecai took her as his own daughter.
Song of Solomon 4:1 Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful! Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead."
I looked through your post to see whether there was anything in there which placed women as the equal of men.

There wasn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,381 - 8,400 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••