Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#8856 Dec 19, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I think priority should be given to traditional married couples, and the law seems to be leaning that way in some states.
Why do you want to treat gay people less favourably than hetero people?

Nottingham, UK

#8857 Dec 19, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked my wife if she felt oppressed....she laughed at me.
Biblical evidences placing women in high regard:
-In Christ's time women were expected to render only temporal service. Christ Taught Mary and Martha that women could also participate in spiritual work. He didn't just see them as servants, he invited them to be his disciples.
-In Christ's time women held church in their homes, and a woman named Phebe held an ecclesiastical position in her congregation.
For more information about the role of women in Christ's church see http://www.lds.org/relief-society/daughters-i... and download the book "Daughters of My Kingdom" in either PDF or MP3 formats.
In secular societies where religion has lost control, you'll find empowered women who are by and large treated equally to men.

A husband saying he is better than his wife at maths might well be a statement of fact.

A husband saying that he is the head of the family, that his wife does not have the same rights as he does, is unclean at certain times of the month, and if she has the temerity to have had a sex life before their marriage (or has otherwise lost her hymen) then he can have her killed....that would be chauvanism (at the very least).

All this makes perfect sense from a historical/cultural point of view.

It makes zero sense from the point of view that a loving god had anything to with the Bible.

Nottingham, UK

#8858 Dec 19, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Proverbs 31:10
An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
Faithful & Trustworthy
1 Timothy 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
Gracious & Honorable
Proverbs 11:16 A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches.
Helpful
Genesis 2:18, 22-24 Then the LORD God said,“It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”… And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said,“This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Kindhearted & Generous
Proverbs 31:20-21 She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Titus 2:2-5 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, the word of God
Proverbs 14:1 The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.
Beautiful Women in the Bible
Genesis 12:11, 14 When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife,“I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance … When Abram entered Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.
Genesis 24:16 The young woman was very attractive in appearance, a maiden whom no man had known. She went down to the spring and filled her jar and came up.
Ruth 1:16-17 But Ruth said,“Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”
Esther 2:7 He was bringing up Hadassah, that is Esther, the daughter of his uncle, for she had neither father nor mother. The young woman had a beautiful figure and was lovely to look at, and when her father and her mother died, Mordecai took her as his own daughter.
Song of Solomon 4:1 Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful! Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead."
I looked through your post to see whether there was anything in there which placed women as the equal of men.

There wasn't.

Nottingham, UK

#8859 Dec 19, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Genesis 2:5. before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown. For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground
Man: field hand
Lol

There we have it - man was created to till the ground.

Nottingham, UK

#8860 Dec 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It's remarkable that you continue to offer arguments like this when you and I both know what your primary objection is.
We see this sort of thing all the time.

Tell a Christian that mutilating a baby's genitals is barbaric and they'll usually respond with some bunk about circumcision being healthful and hygienic.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#8861 Dec 19, 2012
Why?
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Jewellery" - LOL - I'm afraid you have things backwards - you should be checking your own posts, you pathetic illiterate mongoloid.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#8862 Dec 19, 2012
Dishonest BSer.
derek4 wrote:
Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False, by Thomas Nagel
The modern materialist approach to life has conspicuously failed to explain such central mind-related features of our world as consciousness, intentionality, meaning, and value. This failure to account for something so integral to nature as mind, argues philosopher Thomas Nagel, is a major problem, threatening to unravel the entire naturalistic world picture, extending to biology, evolutionary theory, and cosmology.
Since minds are features of biological systems that have developed through evolution, the standard materialist version of evolutionary biology is fundamentally incomplete. And the cosmological history that led to the origin of life and the coming into existence of the conditions for evolution cannot be a merely materialist history, either. An adequate conception of nature would have to explain the appearance in the universe of materially irreducible conscious minds, as such.
Nagel's skepticism is not based on religious belief or on a belief in any definite alternative. In Mind and Cosmos, he does suggest that if the materialist account is wrong, then principles of a different kind may also be at work in the history of nature, principles of the growth of order that are in their logical form teleological rather than mechanistic.
In spite of the great achievements of the physical sciences, reductive materialism is a world view ripe for displacement. Nagel shows that to recognize its limits is the first step in looking for alternatives, or at least in being open to their possibility.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199919755

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#8863 Dec 19, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey Derek any chance your off topic spam will have some proof for deities? If not it will all be ignored as usual.
Seriously gang when are you going to start reporting that forum clogging spambot?
I have once already.

Here goes twice.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#8864 Dec 19, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
There we have it - man was created to till the ground.
God/Priest is hungry and lazy. The sheep will be taught to till and toil all to the enrichment of the gods liaisons.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#8865 Dec 19, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey Derek any chance your off topic spam will have some proof for deities? If not it will all be ignored as usual.

Seriously gang when are you going to start reporting that forum clogging spambot?
He's post are dead on target. I love seeing these posting being brought forth for all of us to see what atheists are hidden. All the crimes in the name of evolution.

You on the other hand show a total lack of being able to carry on any discussion on anything of importance.
In fact it's nice to see when you can string together 3 words that actual have any meaning at all.

An unlimited number of you placed in a room with an infinite amount of time all pounding away on type writers might never come up with anything worth reading. I give the odds to your relatives, monkeys coming up with better reading material.

Location hidden

#8866 Dec 19, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you want to treat gay people less favourably than hetero people?
mar·riage\ˈmer-ij,ˈma-rij\
noun
1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law:

Gays can have a civil union with all the same rights as marriage. Just don't change the meaning of a word to fit your needs. Like you're trying to change the meaning of atheist to add to your congregation.

Khatru,
How did life start?
How did the first life live long enough to figure out how to reproduce?
Was the first life plant or animal?
How did it split to both plant and animal?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer.

Location hidden

#8867 Dec 19, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I looked through your post to see whether there was anything in there which placed women as the equal of men.

There wasn't.
I'm surprised you would actually read something other then a comic book.

"The Genesis account of God’s creation of the first male and female gives a clear picture that is extremely different from evolutionary views in our culture. God designed both the man and woman in His own image equally (Genesis 1:26–27).

Adam was created first, but God decreed that it was not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18). Therefore, God fashioned Eve out of Adam’s rib. The well-known Bible commentator Matthew Henry said that Eve was “made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”

That “Submission” Command
Many women believe that the Bible’s command for wives to “submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord”(Ephesians 5:22–23, NKJV) places a woman in an inferior role to her husband. However, this is not the case.

The concept of submission is found throughout the Bible. One of the keys to maintaining the order God desires is recognizing the authority structure He established. Of course, the best example of one who submitted to authority is our Creator and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who submitted to God and fulfilled the role He was called to by the Father (Matthew 26:36–39; Philippians 2:5–8).

The Creator chose to form man first and to entrust to him the role of leader in the home, for His glory. Obviously, man is not the ultimate authority, but is also under authority (1 Corinthians 11:3). The Bible commands the husband to be a loving servant leader who models the sacrificial love that Christ has showered on the church (Ephesians 5:23–33)—a love that led to His death on the Cross on our behalf.

God designed both the man and woman in His own image equally. Yet they were designed to fulfill different roles.

God assigned the married woman the responsibility of being a helpmate to her husband (Genesis 2:18, 20). A helpmate (or helper) is a position of great responsibility and gentle strength. It is not a position of weakness as often associated with the command of submission (Ephesians 5). A godly helpmate entrusts herself to God, follows her husband’s lead, and uses her gifts and abilities to effectively support and aid her husband.

Josh Harris, author and speaker, reaffirms this biblical teaching in his book Boy Meets Girl.

From the first two chapters of the Bible we learn that Adam and Eve were created equal in God’s sight. Within the context of their equality, God assigned men and women different roles. He made Adam first, signifying his unique role as leader and initiator. He created Eve from Adam and brought her to Adam to be his helper in the tasks God had assigned him. She was made to complement, nourish, and help her husband. God’s greatest gift to man was “a helper suitable for him”(Genesis 2:18). This doesn’t minimize a woman’s role, but it does define it.

Men and women were created equal, yet different. And the fact that we’re different is wonderful.

God didn’t make us to duplicate each other, but to complement each other. The point here is not that Adam was better than Eve, just as God the Father is not “better” than God the Son. Father and Son are equal in essence, power, glory, but they have different roles; and the Son joyfully submits to the Father’s will (1 Corinthians 15:28). So in marriage a husband and wife are equal, even though Scripture tells the wife to joyfully submit to her husband’s leadership."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v...

Location hidden

#8868 Dec 19, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>We see this sort of thing all the time.

Tell a Christian that mutilating a baby's genitals is barbaric and they'll usually respond with some bunk about circumcision being healthful and hygienic.
Most Women truly do enjoy the feel of a circumcised penis. A penis sliding back and forth in its own foreskin has far less sensation for the woman.

Location hidden

#8869 Dec 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Dishonest BSer.
You're another great example of a idiot that can't put together a logical sentence. No worry nothing lost by you
Being muted.

Location hidden

#8870 Dec 19, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I have once already.

Here goes twice.
Derek is post articles on atheist and bad science. Why must you dolts alway think we need to defend or prove to you God? Not too many of us care to share our believes with you. We simple disprove everything you post and get a good laugh out of other posts.
You go ahead and set up your destiny however you want. I could not give a rats ass.

Some of us simply put are not going to stand by and let you and science lie to us. We post against all your attempts at
Justifying your falsified documents and lies.

Yet you keep whining about us not proving our faith. Well keep on whining.
You simpletons just don't get it!
KJV

United States

#8871 Dec 19, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I looked through your post to see whether there was anything in there which placed women as the equal of men.

There wasn't.
What you can read? When did this happen?

"So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Each of these three lines makes a point. Line one asserts the divine creation of man. We came from God. Line two overlaps with line one, except that it highlights the divine image in man. We bear a resemblance to God. Line three boldly affirms the dual sexuality of man. We are male and female. Nowhere else in Genesis 1 is sexuality referred to;
but human sexuality, superior to animal sexuality, merits the simple dignity given it here. Further, Moses doubtless intends to imply the equality of the sexes, for both male and female display the glory of God’s image with equal brilliance:“… in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” This is consistent with God’s intention, stated in verse 26, that both sexes should rule:“… and let them rule.…”

Finally, in verse 28, God pronounces His benediction on man. In verse 22, God spoke His blessing out over the mass of the lower creatures. But here in verse 28 we read,“God blessed them and said to them.…” With man alone, male and female alike without distinction, God shares an I-thou relationship. In His benediction the Creator also authorizes male and female together to carry out their mission to rule the lower creation.

To sum up: Man was created as royalty in God’s world, male and female alike bearing the divine glory equally.
KJV

United States

#8872 Dec 19, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>He's post are dead on target. I love seeing these posting being brought forth for all of us to see what atheists are hidden. All the crimes in the name of evolution.

You on the other hand show a total lack of being able to carry on any discussion on anything of importance.
In fact it's nice to see when you can string together 3 words that actual have any meaning at all.

An unlimited number of you placed in a room with an infinite amount of time all pounding away on type writers might never come up with anything worth reading. I give the odds to your relatives, monkeys coming up with better reading material.
Nice to see you back Langoliers
Nothing new on these pages. Just the normal atheist lies and lack of content on their post. They're just attacking like a cobra backed into a corner. Trouble for them is there are mongooses on here as well. LOL

A real bunch of idiots, the more you read their posting the more obvious the lack of understanding and intelligent stand out.
KJV

United States

#8873 Dec 19, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>mar·riage\ˈmer-i j,ˈma-rij\
noun
1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law:

Gays can have a civil union with all the same rights as marriage. Just don't change the meaning of a word to fit your needs. Like you're trying to change the meaning of atheist to add to your congregation.

Khatru,
How did life start?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer.
Yes Khatru please do answer

How did life start?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer

Nice post Langoliers let's see what puppet boy come up with.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#8874 Dec 19, 2012
So you went back to using this screen name as well half wit?
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You're another great example of a idiot that can't put together a logical sentence. No worry nothing lost by you
Being muted.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#8875 Dec 19, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Khatru please do answer
How did life start?
How could a stack of mutation create you? Oh never mind on that last question. We already know the answer
Nice post Langoliers let's see what puppet boy come up with.
1. We don't know.

2. What? Are you really that clueless?

3. Way oversimplification, there are five kingdoms, not 2.

4. Unless you are identical to both your parents, and they're identical to each other, you are a mutation, get over it, mutant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Uncle Sam 233,069
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 8 min polymath257 167
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 min Igor Trip 23,253
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 56 min Morse 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 1,454
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 10 hr Even Steven 2,607
God' existence 13 hr polymath257 84
More from around the web