Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#8578 Dec 16, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>He made it quite clear in his book, The Moral Landscape, that he looks forward to a future where he or someone like him could remove a person's ability to even think of religion. He spoke of drugs and genetic engineering to achieve his goal of eradicating religion from the human mind. Sounds suspiciously like Orwell's Thought Police.
I find it very funny that the creep calls himself a "free-thinker" but advocates mind control for anyone else who may think differently than he does.
Your scurrilous claims without external corroboration are of no value or interest. Without a link, it is just more Christian apologetics, which are widely understood to be unreliable.

Fennario

#8579 Dec 16, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
I'm not promoting any god, just pointing out liars and hypocrites who wish to force their will on the rest of society.
Our will is that the octopus - the Christian church - no longer be empowered to dictate who can marry who, nor dictate who is an acceptable human being, for example.

If that is forcing our will on society, lying or hypocrisy, then guilty as charged.

You people have no interest in our privacy or our freedoms. That point should be made explicitly and often. It clarifies what your role in our lives actually is, and suggests what needs to be done about it.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8580 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“1 in 4 Scientists in Survey Suspect Fraud by Peers”
“A surprising one in four scientists suspect their peers of engaging in intellectual fakery, according to a new survey.
Driving the suspicious acts, respondents said, was the rat race atmosphere of modern science.
A decade ago science leaders often dismissed scientific charlatans as "bad apples" that were extraordinarily rare. But since then the annals of scientific crime have grown greatly, as have questions about whether fraud is actually on the rise or simply being publicly reported more often.
To explore the issue, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society, surveyed 1,500 of its members in November.
A summary of the 469 replies appears in the current issue of the association's magazine, Science, under the headline: "In the Trenches, Doubts About Scientific Integrity." Many Encounter Fakery
Some 27 percent of the respondents said they believed they had personally encountered the fabrication, falsification or theft of research in the past decade. Moreover, these respondents said they have witnessed, on average, 2.5 cases of suspected fakery in that period.”
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/27/us/1-in-4-s...
Spamming this thread with your creationist horsesh*t propoganda isn't working. You've converted 0 atheists so far.

Go back to your discovery institute cave and tell them to stop wasting their money on you.

Fennario

#8581 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
So you're against the Constitution?
I'm against your church. And I'm for confining its effects to the lives of believers. The Constitution supports that. And if it didn't, I say amend it.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#8582 Dec 16, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"
Your church's moral code is sadly deficient, both on paper and in practice. Your church burned people as witches when it could. And it impaled them in the iron maiden until that was outlawed. Christians often object to me mentioning these things because they were so long ago."
My church? Where is this church of mine? What faith is this church?
"Your church burned people as witches when it could. "
And you feed Christians to the lions and burned them to death.
"We have access to a much better moral code now that ignores gods"
Human morals with out God: Cannibalism was widespread in the past among humans in many parts of the world, continuing into the 19th century in some isolated South Pacific cultures, and to the present day in parts of tropical Africa. In a few cases in insular Melanesia, indigenous flesh-markets existed.[3]Fiji was once known as the 'Cannibal Isles'.[4] Cannibalism has been well documented around the world, from Fiji to the Amazon Basin to the Congo to Māori New Zealand.[5]Neanderthals are believed to have practiced cannibalism,[6][7] and Neanderthals may have been eaten by anatomically modern humans.[8]
Christ on a cracker, well now we both have something to be proud of. If it weren't for modern man's laws, who knows what the cannibals would be doing now? Our laws keep them confined to their churches and they are being forced to just play at this cannibalism, no longer can they have the real thing..

Fennario

#8583 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Where was my lie? I lied about nothing because I made no personal comment.
You lied about Dawkins.

And typically, despite the Christian cant about accountability, you assume none. You require none of yourself. You feel no need to admit error, nor guilt, nor show contrition nor integrity.

You believe that whatever you did, you did for your god, and in the way that you have been taught by example. The whole apologetics racket can't be contrary to your god's will, right? So they must be right in the eyes of your god, and their methods are your methods: fibbing for Jesus.

And if you've slipped up a little, so what? You're forgiven. Not by Dawkins nor by the people who are offended at your ethics on his behalf, but by Jesus. If he didn't approve of some detail, that's covered as well. You are confident that Jesus has surely forgiven you, because you requested that he do so, which is really a command - forgiveness on demand.
derek4 wrote:
So you're telling us there is no God, and because of that, corrupt and fraudulent science is acceptable?
Actually,*you're* telling us that there is no god with your witness. A talented and upright creator god would not have made you like you are, nor allowed any church to turn you into this.

Fraudulent science is unacceptable. Science tells you that continually by exposing any fraud it uncovers and publicly shaming the offender. You would have a single article to post here without science uncovering them all for you and making them public.

Tell us how the church would handle something similar, such as the widespread pedophilia in the Roman Catholic Church.

Fennario

#8584 Dec 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Full text here for the honest amongst us. No point you reading it, Buck.
www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-...
<quoted text>
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Not surprisingly, it points to more Christians at play "fibbin' for Jesus."

I'm pretty much ready to reject all Christian apologetics out of hand these days. The yield for knowledge in looking at that stuff is virtually zero, except for a better understanding of the values and methods of its source.

Fennario

#8585 Dec 16, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I see buck lacked the IQ to catch all four of them! Well at least he admits to accepting Jesus, he was pretending to not be a christian anymore even though he always praises the DI a christian think tank.
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
Tome, there is no value in distinguishing people like nanoanomaly, Dave Nelson, Buck Crick, and RESP0NSE from theists that call themselves Christian, since they are functionally equivalent.

What do we care which parts of the mythology they accept or reject when they all have the same net effect on unbelievers - support of the church and resistance to humanist philosophy?

Fennario

#8586 Dec 16, 2012
KJV wrote:
If you post your writings they would be all over you so you quote the pro's and then it's you have no thoughts of you[r] own. LOL. It's like arguing with children.
You've described an infantile tactic. You're not really helping Dim much with this post.

Fennario

#8587 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
If you know what you say is true, you shouldn't keep whining and trying to reaffirm it over and over. When you do that, it shows us you're weak, and sends up red flags, letting us know we can safely assume that what you say is false.
How many times have you reposted each of your fetch-and-pastes?

Your full name and title: the Mighty Dim Bulb

Fennario

#8588 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Wrong. Science doesn't "let" me post the facts of fraudulent science. I don't need their permission, lol.
You need science to post your anti-scientific crap in two different ways:

[1] It provides you the source material. It alone uncovers, reports,and rectifies science fraud, not priests.

[2] It also provides the medium for you to disseminate your effluvium.

This is for you, Dim:

"You stare into your high definition plasma screen monitor, type into your cordless keyboard then hit enter which causes your computer to convert all that visual data into a binary signal that’s processed by millions of precise circuits, which is then converted to a frequency modulated signal to reach you wireless router where it is then converted to light waves and sent along a large fiber optics cable to be processed by a super computer on a mass server which then sends that bit you typed to a satellite orbiting the earth that was put there through the greatest feats of engineering and science, all so it could go back through a similar pathway to make it all the way here to my computer monitor 15,000 miles away from you just so you could say,“Science is all a bunch of man made hogwash.”- anon.

Fennario

#8589 Dec 16, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Further, scientists (particularly biological scientists) don't get credit for inventing the technology of computers and the internet. Many experts in various walks of like contributed to that.
Good eye, Dim. Climate scientists also don't get credit for discovering and developing information processing and telecommunications technology.
derek4 wrote:
And the technology of computers is irrelevant to the fraudulent theory of evolution.
There is no fraudulent theory of evolution. But computers are very relevant to your church's campaign to undermine scientific literacy.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8590 Dec 16, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
20 year old 'hearsay' evidence, is this supposed to discrete all of science.
Now how about that 2000 year old book of myths.
The 150 + fraudulent theory has no credibility. With all the peer review failures over the last 20, 40, 60 years, we can only imagine what crooked scientists got away with 150 years ago. And what book of myths are you referring to?

Location hidden

#8591 Dec 16, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Spamming this thread with your creationist horsesh*t propoganda isn't working. You've converted 0 atheists so far.
Go back to your discovery institute cave and tell them to stop wasting their money on you.
Crooked science, fraudulent science, has nothing to do with creationism. Why do you bother to post unless you have something to say?

Just a reminder to everyone - if you don't understand the content of a web page I've posted, or you are misinformed enough to disagree with it, you are free to contact the publisher at the link provided, but I have no interest in your opinions of it.

Should you believe any page I've posted contains false information, you can always post a creditworthy link of your own that backs you up – otherwise, your rebuttals are meaningless, unsubstantiated opinions. Thanks for your cooperation.

Location hidden

#8592 Dec 16, 2012
[Atheists live in shame.]

Should I Hide My Atheist Books?

“I know! I know! I must stand for what I believe. But, some situations are more complicated than others. Sometimes, it is not your honor, or safety that is at stake, but your family's.

I love collecting antique books, love reading, and have established a great little library at my home. While my collecting focus is not books on atheism, I do have a formidable collection.

Here is my confession; I hide my atheist books whenever a family member, or distant relative visits my home. Why? It is not that I am scared of the Repercussions but rather do not care for the inconvenience of a long and tiring conversational debate about why I am an atheist, and do not believe in Allah any longer.

[Allah can't help you anyway, so it's just as well.]

I can see it now; my uber religious aunt shocked as she describes her disappointment in me, or the look of concern on my mother's face saying nothing. But the worst of them all are the repercussions brought upon my family by the closely knit network of friends and acquaintances in the community. The repercussions do not bother me, nor my wife, but for my parents it would be an embarrassment.

While I am aware that millions of people, especially teens and young adults are going through similar dilemmas all around the world, my situation is rather trivial. Or at least I believe it is. All I need to do is remove a few books off the shelves of my study and the potential problem is averted.

Am I a coward?

[Yes, you're afraid to stand up for what you believe in. You're a coward, leading a double life.]
http://nicoraj.com/2008/09/should-i-hide-my-a...

Location hidden

#8593 Dec 16, 2012
What’s your experience in having to hide your Atheism?

“My experience is with a county tax board representative concerning the assessed value of my home. The representative I had to deal with always wore a large cross and would at all times have a bible protruding from her purse. For a year and a half I negotiated with this person before finally coming to an agreement. I was looking at getting 5 years worth the refunds from the county which I my opinion amounted to fair chunk of change. All we had to do was go before the tax board present our agreement. Once in front of the board, a lump came to throat when a bailiff approached and asked me to raise my right hand. When placed under oath I have always taken an oath of affirmation. I knew, after negotiating with this person for a year and a half, she would pull our agreement if I took the oath of affirmation. Upon hearing the words “swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you god,” I did some quick math in my head, and recounted the work it took to get to this point, and responded with a solemn “Yes.”
http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/what...

[So you were deceitful, and you sold yourself for a few dollars.]

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Texas, USA

#8594 Dec 16, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take Jesus. You have Harris, Hitler, and Stalin.
Fair enough.
By taking Jesus, you join a huge fraternity of like-thinking people. You can wash yourself in the cool waters of acceptance and fellowship. Your back can get patted and your ego massaged by your fellow Believers. You can stand tall and proud that you, by God, are a member in good standing of one of the largest religious groups ever invented by the minds of men! Wow!! What a feeling!! The social animal realized!!! Endorphins must literally DUMP into your bloodstream every time you SHOUT his Mighty Name! No more wandering alone, no more wondering, no need to think or study or ponder anymore! It's all spelled out, right there in the good book in plain (?) English written in black-on-white and blood red letters. If only EVERYBODY could understand it like you! Why ... there'd be no more war, people would live in peace, love and harmony. Ain't THAT something worth fighting for? Good luck with that. Too bad it's all a fantasy. But hey ... if it makes you feel better ... I say go for it. Reality is a scary place, who doesn't want an Invisible Sky Daddy in your corner, back'n you up?

Location hidden

#8596 Dec 16, 2012
Atheism/raising a daughter while hiding my athiesm

[Includes poster's comments in brackets]

“For what I consider to be "moral" reasons (meaning I believe the major tenants of Christianity to be immoral) and simple common sense, I abandoned Christianity and the idea of a supreme intelligent being about 15 years ago. I was brought up in a smallish bible belt town, in a strictly fundamentalist southern baptist household. I am now 30 and have a 5 year old daughter. After much consideration (and reconsideration), I believe I have finally come to the decision that I will not now or ever, "come out of the closet" so to say, to my parents. My mother is far too intellectually and emotionally fragile to handle such a harsh truth. I simple do not think that I could get over the guilt that would accompany turning her world upside down in such a way.”

[Would you describe her as a bigot? I mean, she won't accept you as you are, right?]

“Though I do believe that my father would have the capacity to come to terms with my non-belief, I feel that he would be compelled to tell my mother so that they could together form a coalition of sorts in order to "bring me back to the fold". So for me, unfortunately, silence appears to be the only option I would be able to live with (however uncomfortable...). I don't go to church (except on the rare occasion)and my parents do know that I have a few "issues" with fundamentalist southern baptist views.

However, as my daughter gets older, this compromise (if you can call it that)has become more and more emotionally draining. She is now old enough to ask questions about life, death, and god (and she does). I find that I can not have honest, open discussion with her on these things for fear that my parents will learn my true stance on these things through her. I usually redirect these kinds of questions back to her(ie "I don't know, what do you think" "Yes, it is true some people do believe that...what do you believe?)and just attempt to remain very accepting/acknowledging in my responses.”

[A five year old isn't mature enough and doesn't have the life experience yet to have formed opinions on those questions. That's why she looks to a parent for answers. So you can't just tell her what you believe about death? Don't you believe that when someone croaks, it's their final end and all that's left is for the worms to burrow in and out of the eye sockets, eating away at the flesh? Why can't you just tell her that? I mean, if that's the TRUTH in your belief, you need to be truthful to your daughter, right?]

“I am in my second year of nursing school right now, so she stays at her grandparent's house for the most part of 3 days out of the week while I am in school.”

[She's better off over there – maybe they can give her some responsible parenting, since you aren't capable.]
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Atheism-2724/2009/...

[You're a hypocrite living a life of deceit. Your family doesn't know you, and your daughter gets nothing from you.]

Location hidden

#8597 Dec 16, 2012
Revealing Atheism to Coworkers and Bosses

“Because of the amount of time you spend with people at your job, you may feel uncomfortable with keeping that fact that you are an atheist hidden from them - especially if your involvement with various humanist or freethought causes is important to you. On the other hand, you may have legitimate concerns that revealing your atheism could maker your work situation even more difficult.”

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistswork/a/re...

[Only you can decide how important your godlessness is to you. Obviously you're uncomfortable with it, but you just don't have the guts to come out with it to your co-workers, so you're living a lie.]

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#8598 Dec 16, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take Jesus. You have Harris, Hitler, and Stalin.
Fair enough.
Still a liar for jesus, I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 17 min Thinking 9,159
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min waaasssuuup 242,990
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Secret Admirer 19,741
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 8 hr lozzza 6,160
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Mon Thinking 15
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
More from around the web