Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8536 Dec 15, 2012
Thinking wrote:
There's no proof of jesus.
Harris is a great writer.
Hitler was a catholic leader of a majority protestant country.
Stalin went to priest school.
<quoted text>
1. False

2. False

3. True, but a Red Herring.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#8537 Dec 15, 2012
Full text here for the honest amongst us. No point you reading it, Buck.

www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-...
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The End of Faith", by Sam Harris.
pp. 52-53
Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them.
Harris' statement amazed even atheists, so much so, that he tried to backpedal it on the internet. Seems other people's interpretation was at fault, not his stupid statement.
He advocates considering that killing people for their dangerous ideas is ethical, even though they have committed no wrong. He also includes Christianity among his "dangerous ideas".
Sam Harris is an amoral louse and a fraud.
Aerobetty - you have called me a liar countless time, but you are yet to pin down one single lie.
You have an intellect that is ill-equipped to challenge me, so you call names. Go fuck yourself, weakling.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#8538 Dec 15, 2012
1. True
2. True
3. True
4. True
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
1. False
2. False
3. True, but a Red Herring.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#8539 Dec 15, 2012
"The End of Faith", by Sam Harris.

pp. 52-53

Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them."

And the rest of that particular paragraph is --

"This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain beliefs place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others. There is, in fact, no talking to some people. If they cannot be captured, and they often cannot, otherwise tolerant people may be justified in killing them in self-defense. This is what the United States attempted in Afghanistan, and it is what we and other Western powers are bound to attempt, at an even greater cost to ourselves and to innocents abroad, elsewhere in the Muslim world. We will continue to spill blood in what is, at bottom, a war of ideas."

But even that should be taken in context with the discussion leading up to this particular paragraph.

For anyone who is interested in further research on this -- " http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/respo... ;

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#8540 Dec 15, 2012
I see buck lacked the IQ to catch all four of them! Well at least he admits to accepting Jesus, he was pretending to not be a christian anymore even though he always praises the DI a christian think tank.

Lmfao!
Thinking wrote:
1. True
2. True
3. True
4. True
<quoted text>
KJV

United States

#8542 Dec 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for posting the scriptures today – wow, you were busy.

And, about the atheists, links, etc..... they never contribute anything supportable to the forum – rarely do they even include any link in their [altered] material.

Actually, there is one atheist who does sometimes post linked support (of the atheist posts that I read ). But I can only think of one. Not that I necessarily agree with his links, but I don't write him back to dispute them; at least he found something which he felt lent credibility to his opinion.

The rest of our little mad atheists post unsupported opinions. I don't know these people – they could be anyone - so why should opinions matter to me?

Since I post sources and links, I've been accused of having no thoughts of my own.

Duh - the links I post reflect my thoughts – obviously I FOUND the material based on my thoughts, and it's obvious what I was researching to find the material, so it doesn't take a brain child to surmise what my thoughts are.....

Where are THEIR thoughts? They never introduce anything – they simply sit back and critique. In my case, they are constantly critiquing web page material – thinking they are critiquing me, lol – further, accusing me of lying simply from posting material clearly identified as belonging to a web page.

It kills them knowing the material is out there – they want to rid the internet of it – and they think they're accomplishing that. Day after day they get out their little spray guns and squirt into the air, going nowhere, accomplishing nothing. All the material is still out there for the whole world to see – all it takes is Google.

Yep - all the dope on fraudulent science and all the other - staying all over tne internet for the whole world to read. Also, all the facts on the tremendous growth of Christianity in China, Japan - elsewhere. Love it.
LOL. I know what you mean. You're posting items that back up your believes but are written by professionals in their field.

If you post your writings they would be all over you so you quote the pro's and then it's you have no thoughts of you own. LOL.

It's like arguing with children.
KJV

United States

#8543 Dec 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>You couldn't have said it better, thanks.
LOL
KJV

United States

#8544 Dec 15, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Yup. I was curious as to whether you would actually look at the link.
So I passed your test?

:)
KJV

United States

#8545 Dec 15, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Where?
When you said the article I posted was wrong.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8546 Dec 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're "slow", so for your convenience, we'll go through this one step at a time.
First of all, let me try to understand you so I can help you, since you need help very badly.
(1) Where was my lie? I lied about nothing because I made no personal comment. I simply posted a web page about Dr. Yoshitaka Fujii faking data, and I provided a link to the source of the information.[So you should be whining to the publisher of the web page instead of me.]
(2) Where is YOUR link that backs up your complaint and shows that Dr. Yoshitaka Fujii Sets New World Record For Faking Data, is a lie?[You don't have one.]
(3) Do you support Dr. Yoshitaka Fujii's fake data, just as you support other fraudulent science?[Yes.]
(4) What does Dr. Yoshitaka Fujii's fake data or any science fraud have to do with creationism?[Nothing]
(5) So you're telling us there is no God, and because of that, corrupt and fraudulent science is acceptable?[Yes]
Thank you for your congeniality and interesting but bizarre perspective.
We are glad to have you in the forum as a loser and an example of a crackpot. Stay with us.
LMAO
You need to prove e god that you lie about before you try and "debunk" science. It's hilariously ironic that science is what lets your post your anti-science crap here n the atheist forum.

If you spend as much time trying to prove your god as you do posting propaganda, you would eventually become an atheist. I guess that's why you're afraid of proving to us that your god is real.

It much easier for you to lie about science instead isn't it?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#8547 Dec 15, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So I passed your test?
:)
Well, yeah, if you got the joke.
KJV

United States

#8548 Dec 15, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Well, yeah, if you got the joke.
Well I saw a link named exactly what was stated that Christians don't do. So yes there was one. However it was posted as a mirror to the ridicules threads started time and time again by atheist (and God hating Theist which I find many on these thread that are calling themselves atheist.)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8549 Dec 15, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Just as your idols, The Four Horsemen, hope to do. Hypocrite.
BTW, have they found a replacement for that old, assjacker Hitchens yet?
You reverence for life, or rather lack of it, has already been made clear, you are christian after all.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#8550 Dec 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Are you OK with your religion affecting only people like you that choose to be so affected, but not people like me? If so, do you support our vision of a church that has no relevance except with its own? Or would you rather impose Christian values on unbelievers as well? As I understand it, in 2008, your church poured a lot of out-of-state money into a California election to support a proposition to ban same sex marriage, which carried and became law. Gays in California can't marry because Mormons in Utah didn't approve. Do you think that that was appropriate? I don't.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
Defending the institution of marriage is appropriate.

It sounds like you consider the institution of marriage yours to regulate. I notice that you framed it as if others' opinions are an assault on you.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
If an individual finds significance in how a marriage is defined, I think that individual should have a say in how it is defined.
I think you mean dictated, not defined. You don't just want a say in how marriage is defined. You want a say in how it is enforced. You want a say in what other people are allowed to do even if it is unfair and even if it doesn't affect you.

You probably don't realize that that attitude is exactly why it is incumbent on the rest of us to actively campaign against your church, to try to wrest political and social control from it, and to work to keep it small and irrelevant if we want a tolerant, pluralistic society that maximizes personal freedom and equal rights under the law.

Fennario

#8551 Dec 15, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I don't have a problem with anyone who is attracted to the same gender and neither does the church.(see http://www.mormonsandgays.org/ ) However, I don't condone homosexual activity.
Then I recommend that you not engage in it.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I think its impossible to have a church that has no relevance except with its own ...
Of course it's possible. It would be possible if your church was a good neighbor and adopted a "live and let live" policy. But we both know that that will never happen. Like you, the church seems to feel that it has a right to dictate what others may do even when there is no better reason for that than a claims that some god wills it.

And it will also be possible if we simply wait for your church to shrink, take the reigns of society, and retool society to reflect our values.

The good news for you is that will still be free not to have gay sex, marry the same gender, refuse therapy developed using stem cell research, or refuse an abortion.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8552 Dec 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're against the Constitution?
The US Constitution is one of the things religious organizations are ignoring, and more often than not, except the Amish and a few others in the US. The US Constitution does not deal in morality, because morality is subjective, it deals in equality, which is not subjective. Your religious nuts trying to make the US Constitution enforce morality is breaking the US Constitution itself.

Fennario

#8553 Dec 15, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
... at least not a church as Christ would have it.
Well there's the bone of contention right there, isn't it? Many of us have no interest what you think Jesus wants to impose on us.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
Is it my place to say what is legally permitted? The government thinks so, since it gave me the right to vote on the issue.
That question wasn't asked was it? I was talking about your moral right,not what the law permitted.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
Was it right for me to vote yes on prop 8? Yes.
I also didn't ask that. I asked whether you thought that it was appropriate for Salt Lake City to pour money into California - probably all accumulated tax free - to impose its will on Californians.

No doubt you also thought that it was right to restrict the rights and freedoms of others even when it did not benefit you or anybody else. That's what I'd like to emphasize here. You epitomize your church, which I equate with an octopus.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I feel that marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think the law should reflect that and I have a right to express that.
You seem also seem to think that you have the right to impose your religious beliefs on others. That should not be overlooked or forgotten.

Fennario

#8554 Dec 15, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's safe to say that Dim realises this and in grim desperation he floods this thread with his spam.
For all the good it does, his spamming is simply re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.
Agreed. Perhaps he is trying to stem the tide. But he's like a beast wallowing up to its neck in tar. The more he struggles, the greater our resolve to oppose his church.

Fennario

#8555 Dec 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The atheists are working on removing that right.
That is correct. And just.

Fennario

#8556 Dec 15, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
The provisions of 501(c)(3) are not about contributions. They are about advocacy and efforts to affect election outcomes, and the Church's actions in this regard are quite clear. Its status should be revised and it should be required to pay corporate income taxes.
That bears repeating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 min ChristineM 4,834
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min ChristineM 16,753
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 15 min ChristineM 3,043
The Consequences of Atheism 18 min Uncle Sam 788
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 46 min ChristineM 6,042
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 51 min Patrick n Angela 235,689
Is Religion Childish? 5 hr ChristineM 143
More from around the web