Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#8265 Dec 11, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Sure about that?
Lets see you said: "Why would it? A jet is designed"
Why would it: because of the Theory of randomness. That given enough rolls of the dice anything could happen. This is what you completely missed with that question.
Now : A Jet is designed.
This I love. You see with this line you shot down the random theory (Evolution) and agreed with a intelligent designer.
I believe not only could a cigarette paper fly through that but the whole tree it came from. LOLNN
There is no "theory of randomness" in science. You're just making stuff up (again).

Now, if you're really trying to talk about probability theory, that's something entirely different and, based on your posts thus far, you have no idea what probability theory says.

Jet airplanes do NOT self-replicate, so the "tornado-junk yard" argument is a load of crap.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#8266 Dec 11, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no mythology.
And, you're wrong.
You make the decision to go to hell when you reject God. He doesn't “decide” to send you there.
I thought you mythology said this Jehovah made everything .... wouldn't that include hell.

So either hell exist at his pleasure or he's not omnipotent.

And, if it he could eliminate hell but allows it to exist, he's not omnibenevolent.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#8267 Dec 11, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"most atheists simply reject these claims without making any positive assertion about gods being impossible or nonexistent"
This wrong.
Merriam - Webster.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
One who believes is a positive assertion
And yet Webster also defines "atheism" as simply "a disbelief in the existence of deity", so Webster is inconsistent in it's own definitions. Go figure.

The most inclusive definition is "simply the absence of belief that any deities exist" (Wikipedia).

But of course, you being a typical Christian, must go out of your way to find the narrowest possible definition and they attempt to broad brush a whole category of people based on this straw man fallacy. That's bigotry, but apparently, that's Christianity. Thanks for giving us all such a clear example of what prejudicial hate looks like.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#8268 Dec 11, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
God exist in a dimension you can't imagine. So it would be impossible to guess how God who is outside of time always existed. You can't even grasp what outside of time would be like even though we pretty much know it exist.
No, we don't. "Outside of time" is meaningless. You're just being absurd.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#8269 Dec 11, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant to whom? Religion is already proclaimed to be irrelevant to those who do not believe in God or organized religion. Religion will always be relevant to those who believe.
So please explain, is religion becoming more irrelevant to you and to other people who thought religion was already irrelevant, OR are you extrapolating these statistics to come up with your own personal aggregate or gross measure of "religious irrelevance" in the world today? Please do share. If you have some kind of advanced accurate aggregate actuarial measure of "religious irrelevance" I think we all would love to hear about it.
As a major in measurement, as my peers like to say, I would love to hear how you measure relative "irrelevance of religion" while taking into account people like you who proclaim that religion is irrelevant to life yet spend a few minutes each day discussing religion with people. If you take that into consideration, I think you will find that religion is relevant to everyone's life. Simply consider in the way everyone interacts with people, the way portions of foreign policy is formed around other countries' religious beliefs, the way international businesses are forced to alter policies to accommodate clients' and employees' beliefs, and much much more.
As long as there is a religious person living, and that person's life is relevant to the general population, religion will be relevant.
What exactly is gained by a discussion of religion's relevance; declining, increasing, or remaining? I don't know. In all seriousness, perhaps there are some here who are so terrorized by bad experiences with religious people and institutions that they wish to remove all relevance or connections to religion from their lives and they wish to prove to themselves that religion is not relevant. In my opinion, by merely discussing religion as we are now, we are making religion more relevant to this forum, to the internet community, and the world as a whole.
It doesn't matter what your belief is: whether you're a Satanist, a Mormon, a Taoist, etc, your religion will always be relevant to you.

Who said I was talking about the world? We all know how highly superstition and mumbo jumbo figure in the third world and because of that, religion will always be relevant to those people.

My post and the figures I was referring to come from the official 2011 government census for England and Wales which published its results yesterday. My reference to the increasing irrelevance of religion was to its place in British society.

I stand by what I said.

Nottingham, UK

#8270 Dec 11, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing that thought.
You're very welcome.

Nottingham, UK

#8271 Dec 11, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, you got it. There are lots of prophets out there....true ones, false ones, ones who say they have seen God, and ones who simply have a testimony of Christ. It all depends on how you define a "prophet."
Male

That's a pretty good start isn't it? The vast majority of prophets chosen by the supreme cosmic mega-being are male.

Anyway, didn't you say that we have to wait till the end of time before we can be sure that a prophecy has been fulfilled or not?

With that in mind, how can you say that a prophet is false?

Nottingham, UK

#8272 Dec 11, 2012
KJV wrote:
I do see the article and that Mathias was the one that appeared to make those statements.
Kudos for admitting to that.

Nottingham, UK

#8273 Dec 11, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes as I pointed out that killing humans and eating them is not wrong in some cultures with out God.
Obeying Gods morals is not as bad as you think. And mans morals with out God can get pretty rough.
When it comes to killing and eating your children, the god of the Bible doesn't set a particularly good example.

Check out Jeremiah 19:1-9

Here we have an account of people sacrificing their children to another god.

Does Jehovah save the children from this grisly fate? No, in fact, he makes it worse by getting angry with the adults and he makes them eat their own children.

Instead of stopping the killing of innocent children, Jehovah ensures that they will now be eaten by their parents?

What is possibly good about this story?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8274 Dec 12, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as a God or many gods I find my faith in the bible with all its fulfilled prophets and proven recorded history.
Interesting how you should say you have "faith in the Bible", and not in Jesus. This is fundies are on such shaky ground. Cause you put your faith solely in a book of contradictions.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8275 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then at the end of your post, you accuse me of judging, but turn around and judge me in your last sentence. So it's okay for just YOU to judge, right?
Yes, I am not beholden to your rules. I dont have the bless ppl of pray for them or any of that rubbish as I dont believe in it. But tellingly you are unable to keep even to the basic requirements of your religion. Proving clearly that you are a false christian. Same goes for the other fundies here.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8276 Dec 12, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you mythology said this Jehovah made everything .... wouldn't that include hell.
So either hell exist at his pleasure or he's not omnipotent.
And, if it he could eliminate hell but allows it to exist, he's not omnibenevolent.
Nicely put.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8277 Dec 12, 2012
You said given enough time, anything can happen. I won't pull you up on the exact detail of that here, but at least you now understand there is no need for a creator.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Sure about that?
Lets see you said: "Why would it? A jet is designed"
Why would it: because of the Theory of randomness. That given enough rolls of the dice anything could happen. This is what you completely missed with that question.
Now : A Jet is designed.
This I love. You see with this line you shot down the random theory (Evolution) and agreed with a intelligent designer.
I believe not only could a cigarette paper fly through that but the whole tree it came from. LOLNN

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#8278 Dec 12, 2012
Atheists are more intelligent than religious people
Writing in the Freethinker (July 2008) Chris Barker argues that there is nothing racist about suggesting that atheists are more intelligent than believers.

IT was bound to happen. When Professor Richard Lynn claimed last month that people with higher IQs were less likely to believe in God many of those outraged by his assertion quickly tried to give his words a racist cast.

Professor Lynn, Emeritus Professor of Psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the “intellectual elite” considered themselves atheists than the national average. A decline in religious observance over the last century was directly linked to a rise in average intelligence, he claimed.

Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.

A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God – at a time when 68.5 percent of the general UK population described themselves as believers. A separate poll in the 90s found only seven percent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God.

Professor Lynn said most primary school children believed in God, but as they entered adolescence – and their intelligence increased – many started to have doubts.

He told The Times Higher Education magazine:

Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population.

Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh.
Well, gee, we all have to put up with a few minor irritations. We have lots of spam in this forum - the red devil - for example, I skip all of his or her posts / spam.
And then, we have you for more spam....
But I have good news for you, Poly - I read ALL your posts.
Coming from me, that is a REAL compliment.
Hey, but don't let it go to your godless peabrain, since your posts mean nothing to me - but you shore do hang in there and try, don't ya?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#8279 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
No one knows who you are, no one will grieve when you're gone, but the worms will love you.
Your religion can't die fast enough. We don't need people being taught to think like you. We can do so much better than this.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#8280 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
You're unfamiliar with most things except the taste of your boogers you pick and eat while you're posting
More from Jesus, Inc.

Nottingham, UK

#8281 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
That simply calls for a repeat:
No link, no proof. You didn't do your research, so you failed us once again.
The link was posted when your lying caught you out.

You're the one who admits to not reading posts so the problem is yours - not mine.

Nottingham, UK

#8282 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's ASSUME that's true. What does that prove, exactly? That Christianity is declining, as the Bible prophesied it would in the end time?[Yes.]
“You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?“
Why are you referring to the Bible when you don't believe what it says?

Nottingham, UK

#8283 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Conclusion: It seems very hard to conclude that atheists are under-represented in American prisons. They may, or may not, have failed to mention their atheism to authorities. In other words, the statistics are inconclusive.
Your whole argument rests on an assumption.

I could easily use a similar assumption when you quote statistics for numbers of religious adherents.

Except that I'm not as desperate as you.

Nottingham, UK

#8284 Dec 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheism and Science
“Atheists have appealed to science in defence of their atheism since the first avowedly atheistic manuscripts of the mid seventeenth century..........
Your religion has been in trouble ever since Johannes Gutenberg introduced moveable type printing to Europe.

Prior to the printing press, Christians had a monopoly on the production of documents and books. They also had the authority to and influence to ensure that any documents it deemed to be heretical could be seized and destroyed as well as being able to torture and kill the authors.

Despite the best efforts of believers to prevent it, printing presses took book copying out of the hands of the Christians. This led to more and more secular publications which would shake the foundations of centuries of Christian thought.

Look at you, you're still shaking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Dally Mama 228,559
Our world came from nothing? 49 min Richardfs 698
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 4 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 6 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 14 hr Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE