Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 389)

Showing posts 7,761 - 7,780 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I would have liked a clearer denunciation of stoning people to death, and perhaps an explanation of why it had been considered moral in the past, but OK - I'll accept that. I will have to update my argument to reflect only things that Jesus DIDN'T correct.

Have you seen Monty Python on stoning for blasphemy? https://www.youtube.com/watch...
I think the point was made on stoning by how Jesus handled it. His answer had he simply said no more stoning would have left questions instead he answered with wisdom.

"Have you seen Monty Python on stoning for blasphemy? "

Yes and loved it.

Also: what else other then wood floats?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The Lord spoke to Moses, saying,“Avenge the people of Israel on the Midianites. Afterward you shall be gathered to your people.” So Moses spoke to the people, saying,“Arm men from among you for the war, that they may go against Midian to execute the Lord's vengeance on Midian. You shall send a thousand from each of the tribes of Israel to the war.” So there were provided, out of the thousands of Israel, a thousand from each tribe, twelve thousand armed for war....
Does this mean that you're not a moral relativist?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You little puppet could never do what I did. Your own squad would shoot you in the back the very first fire fight you ran into. Making comment like that above shows exactly the type of animal you claim to be. Thanks for putting it out there for everyone to see you for what you really are.
Actually, I thought it was pretty funny.

Ah well, you know what they say about Christians lacking a sense of humour.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
The end of time hasn't come yet....
Ok, that means I can be a prophet.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
No link, no proof. You didn't do your research, so you failed us once again.
What are you talking about?

You lied and you know it.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Sodom and Gomorrah had a real high percentage of atheist so don't feel to bad. If I was you I'd watch my salt intake. LOL
Really?

You're saying that a really high percentage of the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah did not worship any gods at all?

Where'd you get that idea from?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Thanks. I'm glad you liked the lists. For me, they're interesting, instructive and fun. If you're interested, here's another word list - this time, words having to do with women - at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... .
That's a great list too. I knew a number of them but there are plenty I didn't know.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course he lied. He was one that claimed that Dawkins said those words, not Mathias.
Even so, Dim is responsible for the content that he introduces. Absent any disclaimer, his endorsement of it is implied.
Furthermore, he reposted the material several more times after being told that he was lying. He doesn't give a crap.
<quoted text>
You see what you want to see.
The words he attributed to Dawkins didn't appear anywhere that Dawkins' words are normally found. This is my exposure of Dim's lying, one of several : http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
In it is a link to a Google search of the words that Dim dishonestly attributed to Dawkins. At the time, it got only one hit - Mathias' page. Now, it has two - Mathias' page and this thread.
What was the proof that Jefferson did not write the words on the billboard attributed to him? Nothing more than that there was no record of the words where they ought to have been found had they been Jefferson's. That is the same argument being levied against Dim's deception as well.
Great stuff!

Dim shown up for the liar he is!

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
SOTYECs? "Die, heretic scum!"
LOL

I await the day with anticipated amusement.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Did you see the 2011 England and Wales Census data today?
"No religious affiliation" up 6.3m from 2001, christianity down 4.1m from 2001.
"The number of residents who stated that their religion was Christian in 2011 was fewer than in 2001. The size of this group decreased 13 percentage points to 59 per cent (33.2 million) in 2011 from 72 per cent (37.3 million) in 2001. The size of the group who stated that they had no religious affiliation increased by 10 percentage points from 15 per cent (7.7 million) in 2001 to 25 per cent (14.1 million) in 2011." - www.ons.gov.uk
<quoted text>
Yeah!

It was great news!

Percentage of Christians down by 14 to 59%

Non-believers up 10 to 25%

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Dim finds a spoof link, something meant to be a joke and he takes it seriously. Can you imagine all the wedgies he got back in school?
<quoted text>
LOL

The guy's deranged
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

EdSed posted this link:

http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/census-2011/

If the religion question wasn't so leading, non-believers would exceed 25%.

83% more people said they were non-believers, nonetheless.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah!
It was great news!
Percentage of Christians down by 14 to 59%
Non-believers up 10 to 25%

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
EdSed posted this link:
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/census-2011/
If the religion question wasn't so leading, non-believers would exceed 25%.
83% more people said they were non-believers, nonetheless.
<quoted text>
Yes, that's right.

We all know the real figures are much better than this.

Still, it's great news and shows just how irrelevant religion is becoming.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's right.
Irrelevant to whom? Religion is already proclaimed to be irrelevant to those who do not believe in God or organized religion. Religion will always be relevant to those who believe.

So please explain, is religion becoming more irrelevant to you and to other people who thought religion was already irrelevant, OR are you extrapolating these statistics to come up with your own personal aggregate or gross measure of "religious irrelevance" in the world today? Please do share. If you have some kind of advanced accurate aggregate actuarial measure of "religious irrelevance" I think we all would love to hear about it.

As a major in measurement, as my peers like to say, I would love to hear how you measure relative "irrelevance of religion" while taking into account people like you who proclaim that religion is irrelevant to life yet spend a few minutes each day discussing religion with people. If you take that into consideration, I think you will find that religion is relevant to everyone's life. Simply consider in the way everyone interacts with people, the way portions of foreign policy is formed around other countries' religious beliefs, the way international businesses are forced to alter policies to accommodate clients' and employees' beliefs, and much much more.

As long as there is a religious person living, and that person's life is relevant to the general population, religion will be relevant.

What exactly is gained by a discussion of religion's relevance; declining, increasing, or remaining? I don't know. In all seriousness, perhaps there are some here who are so terrorized by bad experiences with religious people and institutions that they wish to remove all relevance or connections to religion from their lives and they wish to prove to themselves that religion is not relevant. In my opinion, by merely discussing religion as we are now, we are making religion more relevant to this forum, to the internet community, and the world as a whole.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's right.
Thanks for sharing that thought.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, that means I can be a prophet.
Yup, you got it. There are lots of prophets out there....true ones, false ones, ones who say they have seen God, and ones who simply have a testimony of Christ. It all depends on how you define a "prophet."
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

<quoted text>Are you referring to me? What newspaper did I attack? I have criticized Dim and his fetch-and-pastes.

And why wouldn't I do that here? As I've said many times, my posts aren't written for believers, whether that be the apologists that wrote them, or Gunga Dim, who carries water for them. Wouldn't you agree that that would be a wasted effort?

The rebuttals are written for people that might evaluate them on their merit and maybe benefit from the ideas they contain. I don't expect that from the Christians, so why write to them? Dim proudly vaunts that he doesn't even read them. Why would I expect the pieces' authors to be any different?
It was not intended to you.

However if he post a news article say from a source such as the "New York Times" attacking him on the context would be wrong.

It goes along the same lines as when I post something with the source listed and getting back comments like
"No link so it's BS"

When the source is right there in front of their face. Again not you.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

<quoted text>How about a mea culpa? Here they are apologizing for their scandalous coverage of Bush's rush to war in 2002-03:

"Over the last year this newspaper has shone the bright light of hindsight on decisions that led the United States into Iraq ... It is past time we turned the same light on ourselves ... we have found a number of instances of coverage that was not as rigorous as it should have been." http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/26/internation...

There's an understatement! That was a complete abdication of the most critical function that the press plays in a democracy. "Our bad" doesn't cut it.
Oh I know new papers even the Times do print retractions. My point was on that article there was (at least I could not find one) no retractions.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Hoyle was wrong.
Bottom line I agree.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

<quoted text>Correct. What would you prefer in the absence of a god? A dictator dictating moral law? Obeying an ancient book?
Yes as I pointed out that killing humans and eating them is not wrong in some cultures with out God.

Obeying Gods morals is not as bad as you think. And mans morals with out God can get pretty rough.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,761 - 7,780 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 8 min Patrick 43
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 min Buck Crick 223,104
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Buck Crick 21,333
Why do i deserve no respect. 7 hr Carchar king 7
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
•••
•••