Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11180 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#8106 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely!

It may be Grenada where quite possibly the most dangerous thing he encountered was the sharp end of a cocktail stick.
You little puppet could never do what I did. Your own squad would shoot you in the back the very first fire fight you ran into. Making comment like that above shows exactly the type of animal you claim to be. Thanks for putting it out there for everyone to see you for what you really are.
KJV

United States

#8107 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>It's an article.

What's shameful are the lies from your friend Dim as he deliberately misattributed Mathis' words to Richard Dawkins.

Of course, by doing so he also demonstrated that he does not believe the Bible.
Maybe in your warped little maggot filled brain.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8108 Dec 10, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I try to keep it real. I don't believe a tornado can given enough time could ever create a jet air craft. As I don't believe computer mice are on Darwin's evolutionary tree.
Actually, it could. The probability is very small, but there is a chance of random wind events moving the parts in just the correct order. We don't see it because you'd have to be alive for several billion years to make that probability reach a high enough occurrence. Probability works like this:

There is a 0.0001% chance of an event occurring at a specific time and place, just a random number for the mathematical purposes.

When you increase the number of times it could happen, by 100 times, that chance increases exponentially, not additive but exponentially.

Each time that location is observed during these times the chances increase exponentially as well.

Thus if the location is viewed many times during those 100 time points, you increase the probably significantly of said event happening to at least 1%.

If you increase the number of locations it could happen the chances of it ever happening increase exponentially as well.

Using your "jumbo jet" example, let's assume the base change is 1x10^-100, knock off 50 of that because of how common tornadoes are to make it 1x10^-50. Another 25 for the number of junk yards to make it 1x10^-25. Then the number of people observing such events would decrease it to 1x10-10, since it's a lot of people. Now that would be on Earth only, if there are junk yards on other planets, and that's a very high probability, then you would multiply that chance by the number of planets those are one, which would likely be infinity since with an infinite number of planets, the most probable number, you have an infinite number with life on as well.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#8109 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You have scientifically verifiable proof of god? Dude, you're sitting on a nobel prize!
Not really, I didn't come up with it. In the Book of Mormon one of the writers describes how we can perform an experiment to know if there is a God. See Book of Mormon, Book of Alma Chapter 32, available online on lds.org .

If you want to verify it, you have to do it yourself.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#8110 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible contains failed prophecies.
The end of time hasn't come yet....
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8111 Dec 10, 2012
Why would it? A jet is designed. btw Fred Hoyle also believed the Universe was static (i.e. ageless, no creation)
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I try to keep it real. I don't believe a tornado can given enough time could ever create a jet air craft. As I don't believe computer mice are on Darwin's evolutionary tree.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8112 Dec 10, 2012
No, because all those cu*ts that keep saying "these are the end times" have been wrong for 2000 years now.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
The end of time hasn't come yet....

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8113 Dec 10, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank the universe for the mouse scroll wheel...
Yep, it's a great tool atheists use to escape facts. Scroll away, lol.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8114 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Dim.
Share with us how you took a bunch of quotes from an unknown called Miles Mathis and attributed them to Richard Dawkins.
Then explain why the only person you managed to sucker into believing your lies was your fellow believer in magic, KJV.
Then explain why you don't believe the Bible.
ROFLMAO!!
No link, no proof. You didn't do your research, so you failed us once again.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8115 Dec 10, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Derek4 is bringing forth articles from great sources. He's not babbling dribble. I'm read articles from the "New York Times" And "Scientific Journal" along with many others. So it make very little sense to attack the news paper for the bad news in it. Go to the source if you don't like it.
They won't go to the source because that's where the truth is. It gives them a kick to attack the messenger, but it does them no good.. According to them, science is GOD, and news sources are just made up.

Uhhh – where are their links?(missing - just like their honesty)

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8116 Dec 10, 2012
Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort Through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies

“What's healthy? What's unhealthy? What's safe? What's dangerous? Watch the news, and it's easy to be overwhelmed by snippets of badly presented science: information that's incomplete, confusing, contradictory, out-of-context, wrong, or flat-out dishonest. In this book, Dr. Sherry Seethaler provides a "bag of tricks" for making sense of science in the news. You'll learn how to think more sensibly about everything from mad cow disease to global warming and make better science-related decisions in both your personal life and as a citizen. You'll begin by understanding how science really works and progresses, and why scientists sometimes disagree. Seethaler helps you assess the possible biases of those who make scientific claims in the media, and place scientific issues in appropriate context, so you can intelligently assess tradeoffs. You'll learn how to determine whether a new study is really meaningful; uncover the difference between cause and mere coincidence; figure out which statistics mean something, and which don't. Finally, drawing on her extensive experience as a science journalist, she reveals the tricks self-interested players use to mislead and confuse you, and points you to sources of information you can actually rely upon. Seethaler's many examples range from genetic engineering of crops to drug treatments for depression, but the techniques she teaches you will be invaluable in understanding any scientific controversy, in any area of science or health.”
http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Damned-Science-Sci...

[LOL – what a mess. So you have to learn how to sort through all the bad science, and hope you find something useful. And who knows if Ms Seethaler is truthful?]

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8117 Dec 10, 2012
Top 10 Lies of Science Taught at School

10. Duck’s quake does not echo
“... the duck’s voice can echo and the claim is wrong. The reality is that human ear is not capable of hearing it due to some external conditions. This is now proved from many experiments in which duck’s sound is exposed into a room which is specially designed for sound reflection.”

9. Bats are blind
“...bats are blessed with eyes and they can sight objects but they do not use them as a primary sense to position objects. This characteristic of bats let many scientist to call them blind which is a false statement.”

8. CO2 is pollutant and injurious
“Life on earth will be in danger without carbon dioxide since it is also very necessary. Plants require carbon dioxide in order to grow vigorously. Actually the toxic substances mixed with CO2 from industries are liable for pollution.”

7. All people are different
“This is a raging myth, out spread because of school teachings. This is only our appearance which distinguishes us but our behavioral attributes and reactions are same in same conditions. Many experiments have been taken to prove this myth and the result is that this is another fact of science which is proved to be wrong.”

6. Human brain has five senses
[The]“human brain has more than five senses which range from 9 to 20. The old theory says that human brain has five senses that are sight, smell, taste, touch and listening power.”

5. Eight glasses of water a day are necessary for human health
“It is not necessary to take 8 glasses of water daily.”

4. The Great Wall of China is visible from moon
“This myth has never been proved by Apollo astronauts nor by earth orbiting astronauts. The pictures taken from outside the earth have no glimpse of the Great Wall of China. Nevertheless, an image from space contains the look of city lights of earth.”

3. Black holes suck all matters in environs
“The wicked image of black holes has been set by our teachers at school when they taught us that it sucks all the matter around it. This a contrary image of black hole. They might have the ability to suck objects but not necessarily all of them.”

2. Seasons are caused by the closeness of earth to sun
“This is a wrong myth. In fact many cities have summer when the distance between the earth and sun has been increased. Recent research shows that seasons are caused by the change in angle of earth on its axis.”

1. Newton discovered law of gravity because of an apple
“.. it was never mentioned by Newton himself and the story came into existence after many decades of discovery of law of gravity. So this story is the biggest lie of science that our teachers taught us in school.”
http://www.smashinglists.com/top-ten-lies-of-...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8118 Dec 10, 2012
Some Big Lies of Science

[We will look at just one of them:]

[Or if you atheists prefer, you can say that you scroll past and then come back and try to dispute the facts, as you normally do, lol.]

“The Medicine is Health Lie”

“We’ve all heard some MD (medical doctor) interviewed on the radio gratuitously make the bold proposal that life expectancy has increased thanks to modern medicine. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Life expectancy has increased in First World countries thanks to a historical absence of civil and territorial wars, better and more accessible food, less work and non-work accidents, and better overall living and working conditions. The single strongest indicator of personal health within and between countries is economy status, irrespective of access to medical technology and pharmaceuticals.

It’s worse than that because medicine actually has a negative impact on health. Medical errors (not counting misattributed deaths from correctly administered “treatments”) are the third leading cause of death in the US, after heart disease and cancer, and there is a large gap between this conservative underestimate in the number of medical error deaths and the fourth leading cause of death. Since medicine can do little for heart disease and cancer and since medicine has only a small statistical positive impact in the area of trauma interventions, we conclude that public health would increase if all MDs simply disappeared. And think of all the time loss and stress that sick people would save…

One of the most dangerous places in society is the hospital. Medical errors include misdiagnoses, bad prescriptions, prescriptions of medications that should not be combined, unnecessary surgery, unnecessary or badly administered treatments including chemotherapy, radiation treatment, and corrective surgeries.

The lie extends to the myth that MDs anywhere near understand the human body. And this well guarded lie encourages us to put our faith in doctors, thereby opening the door to a well orchestrated profit bonanza for big pharma.

The first thing that Doctors Without Borders (MSF) volunteers need to do in order to contribute significantly in disaster zones is to “forget their medical training” and get to work on the priority tasks at hand: water, food, shelter, and disease propagation prevention; not vaccinating, or operating, or prescribing medication… Public health comes from safety, stability, social justice, and economic buying power, not MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) units and prescription drugs.”
http://activistteacher.blogspot.com/2010/06/s...
KJV

United States

#8119 Dec 10, 2012
All new atheist population around the world!

"Atheism losing adherents in terms of the global population

The 2004 to 2007 publicity campaign for atheism in the Western World was not sustainable. The level of public interest in atheism is not coming back in the West and global atheism is shrinking.

See also: Global atheism and American atheism and Atheist Population and Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian

In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.

In 2011, the American Spectator citing research published in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that atheism is on the decline as a whole in terms of adherents .

The American Spectator declared:
“The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding.”

In 2009, the book A sceptics guide to atheism indicated: "A worldwide poll taken in 1991 put the global figure for atheists at just 4.4% of the population. By 2006 it was estimated that only 2% of the world population were atheists."

In 2012 an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
The IBMR publishes yearly figures for religions (and non religions) around the globe. Their latest numbers, hot off the press (Jan. 2012) show some interesting trends.

Atheism is in Decline
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty 4.5% of the global population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. Thats a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists share declined to less than one-in-fifty under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world!

Atheism is in decline.
Agnosticism is in Decline
In 2000 agnostics (those who don't know if there is a God) numbered 666 million, 10.9% of the worlds people. By 2012 agnostic’s number is estimated at 661 million--a decline of 5 million. In relative terms by 2012 agnostics represent less than one tenth (9.4%) of world population. Every 24 hours there are 1,100 less agnostics in the world. Agnostics are also in decline.
Added together these two groups make up a declining share of global population. In 1970 atheists and agnostics accounted for one-in-five (19.2%) of the worlds people. Based on current trends by 2025 they will represent less than one-in-ten (9.7%). Their population share will fall by half in 50+ years."

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8120 Dec 10, 2012
[Science] Lies in our Public School Textbooks

http://strattonweb.tripod.com/Lies.html

[“The theory of evolution (is) a theory universally accepted not because it can be proved by logically coherent evidence to be true but because the only alternative, special creation, is clearly incredible.”(D.M.S. Watson,“Adaptation,” Nature, Vol. 123 [sic Vol. 124](1929), p. 233).]

[While the statement is of bizarre interest, it is unproveable. When a person says "creation is clearly incredible", they must back it up, or it's mere opinion. Discredited due to no proof.]
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8121 Dec 10, 2012
I prefer to two finger BS with a trackpad.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, it's a great tool atheists use to escape facts. Scroll away, lol.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8122 Dec 10, 2012
Define glass size, cuntard.
derek4 wrote:
Top 10 Lies of Science Taught at School
10. Duck’s quake does not echo
“... the duck’s voice can echo and the claim is wrong. The reality is that human ear is not capable of hearing it due to some external conditions. This is now proved from many experiments in which duck’s sound is exposed into a room which is specially designed for sound reflection.”
9. Bats are blind
“...bats are blessed with eyes and they can sight objects but they do not use them as a primary sense to position objects. This characteristic of bats let many scientist to call them blind which is a false statement.”
8. CO2 is pollutant and injurious
“Life on earth will be in danger without carbon dioxide since it is also very necessary. Plants require carbon dioxide in order to grow vigorously. Actually the toxic substances mixed with CO2 from industries are liable for pollution.”
7. All people are different
“This is a raging myth, out spread because of school teachings. This is only our appearance which distinguishes us but our behavioral attributes and reactions are same in same conditions. Many experiments have been taken to prove this myth and the result is that this is another fact of science which is proved to be wrong.”
6. Human brain has five senses
[The]“human brain has more than five senses which range from 9 to 20. The old theory says that human brain has five senses that are sight, smell, taste, touch and listening power.”
5. Eight glasses of water a day are necessary for human health
“It is not necessary to take 8 glasses of water daily.”
4. The Great Wall of China is visible from moon
“This myth has never been proved by Apollo astronauts nor by earth orbiting astronauts. The pictures taken from outside the earth have no glimpse of the Great Wall of China. Nevertheless, an image from space contains the look of city lights of earth.”
3. Black holes suck all matters in environs
“The wicked image of black holes has been set by our teachers at school when they taught us that it sucks all the matter around it. This a contrary image of black hole. They might have the ability to suck objects but not necessarily all of them.”
2. Seasons are caused by the closeness of earth to sun
“This is a wrong myth. In fact many cities have summer when the distance between the earth and sun has been increased. Recent research shows that seasons are caused by the change in angle of earth on its axis.”
1. Newton discovered law of gravity because of an apple
“.. it was never mentioned by Newton himself and the story came into existence after many decades of discovery of law of gravity. So this story is the biggest lie of science that our teachers taught us in school.”
http://www.smashinglists.com/top-ten-lies-of-...
KJV

United States

#8123 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, it could. The probability is very small, but there is a chance of random wind events moving the parts in just the correct order. We don't see it because you'd have to be alive for several billion years to make that probability reach a high enough occurrence. Probability works like this:

There is a 0.0001% chance of an event occurring at a specific time and place, just a random number for the mathematical purposes.

When you increase the number of times it could happen, by 100 times, that chance increases exponentially, not additive but exponentially.

Each time that location is observed during these times the chances increase exponentially as well.

Thus if the location is viewed many times during those 100 time points, you increase the probably significantly of said event happening to at least 1%.

If you increase the number of locations it could happen the chances of it ever happening increase exponentially as well.

Using your "jumbo jet" example, let's assume the base change is 1x10^-100, knock off 50 of that because of how common tornadoes are to make it 1x10^-50. Another 25 for the number of junk yards to make it 1x10^-25. Then the number of people observing such events would decrease it to 1x10-10, since it's a lot of people. Now that would be on Earth only, if there are junk yards on other planets, and that's a very high probability, then you would multiply that chance by the number of planets those are one, which would likely be infinity since with an infinite number of planets, the most probable number, you have an infinite number with life on as well.
Oh I understand the math of it happening, I just don't believe those odds would ever come about. Just because it can't be ruled out 100% doesn't mean it would ever happen.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8124 Dec 10, 2012
re-posting:

"Science Myths" in K-6 Textbooks and Popular culture

[Lies and science errors taught in our schools]

The complex and abstract nature of Science makes the subject difficult to understand. But complexity is not the only barrier to our understanding Science. The subject is made much more difficult by the presence of numerous misleading "Science Myths" which circulate in the popular culture, which are handed down from parents to children, and which have become so common and widespread that they appear widely in science textbooks and are taught as facts in grade school.(MORE)
http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon.html

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8125 Dec 10, 2012
More debate about the eye evolving and debate about irreducible complexity. There has been no final resolution with sustainable evidence for evolution on the topic.

Never will be resolved.

Debate among professionals:

“Another example of irreducible complexity is the system that allows proteins to reach the appropriate subcellular compartments. In the eukaryotic cell there are a number of places where specialized tasks, such as digestion of nutrients and excretion of wastes, take place. Proteins are synthesized outside these compartments and can reach their proper destinations only with the help of “signal” chemicals that turn other reactions on and off at the appropriate times. This constant, regulated traffic flow in the cell comprises another remarkably complex, irreducible system. All parts must function in synchrony or the system breaks down. Still another example is the exquisitely coordinated mechanism that causes blood to clot.

Biochemistry textbooks and journal articles describe the workings of some of the many living molecular machines within our cells, but they offer very little information about how these systems supposedly evolved by natural selection. Many scientists frankly admit their bewilderment about how they may have originated, but refuse to entertain the obvious hypothesis: that perhaps molecular machines appear to look designed because they really are designed.”
Michael J. Behe [other prof opinions expressed here]:
http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhm...

An apropriate conclusion:

“If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.”
Richard P. Feynman, atheist and scientist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min Eagle 12 6,200
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 min hpcaban 8,209
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min superwilly 253,635
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 28 min Eagle 12 18,879
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 27,410
News Atheism has no moral dimension 2 hr NoahLikesPi 184
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Richardfs 3,129
More from around the web