Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#8061 Dec 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're as big a liar as the billboards I posted about.
Your "ethics"? You don't know the meaning of the word, nor do you know the meaning of "morals".
LMAO
Come on Dim.

Share with us how you took a bunch of quotes from an unknown called Miles Mathis and attributed them to Richard Dawkins.

Then explain why the only person you managed to sucker into believing your lies was your fellow believer in magic, KJV.

Then explain why you don't believe the Bible.

ROFLMAO!!
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8062 Dec 10, 2012
Fantastic! Wot a Dim nob.[sic]
Givemeliberty wrote:
Dim just copies and pastes nonsense without checking into it. He is so desperate he actually posted a link to a goth costume jewelry store where the owner jokingly called a cross necklace for sale the atheist cross.
He took it seriously.
<quoted text>
KJV

United States

#8063 Dec 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Can't you do anything about the strange characters that appear in your posts? It makes them too hard to read. I tried to read this, but quit. Perhaps you can correct them by hand before you hit the "Post Comment" button.
You know that's a very strange thing.
I use an iPhone and when I paste the article it looks fine. I click post and go back and it's changes to the odd characters. So anyone with in site as to why this is or how to correct it I would appreciate it.
KJV

United States

#8064 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>And it's a good thing that they do. Our moral system is evolving, which is why your Old Testament god, the bellicose monster Jehovah, morphed into your New Testament god, the gentle Jesus, complete with a whole new law. Amazingly, you go on talking about the existence of an absolute, objective morality, and that you have access to it.

We've made a lot of updates since Jesus time, and now consider much of his moral character inadequate. The latest version is in the Affirmations of Humanism.

Christians are assimilating secularists values, just more slowly, and never admitting or even acknowledging secularist contributions, giving all the credit to some god instead despite the fact that it also evolving along with prevailing ethical values.

How did you know to give up stoning children to death if not from men that simply rejected that law of your Old Testament? Jehovah never recanted it, did he? It was a freethinker that simply said nonsense, and most of the West agreed.

Later, secularists told you to stop burning people, later still, to stop trying to own people as slaves or beating them when you did. You assimilated all of that, but still somehow credit the god.

You remain oblivious to the value of rational, compassionate ethics and the part that it has played in reshaped your thinking. The bible is not your source of ethics. If it were, you would obey it all.

But you don't. You cherry pick according to an external standard, as if recognizing that much of your bible's values are immoral. By what standard then do you pick and choose which of the 613 Commandments to ignore? Secular humanist standards, that's which ones.

And today, we are teaching the Christian world more moral refinements, such as that gay and atheist people are not immoral, that women are not subordinate to men, that a liberal education and critical thinking are better than authoritarian indoctrination and magical thinking, and that a stem cell is not a citizen. You haven't signed on to any of those yet, but no matter. We'll eventually prevail there, too.
"How did you know to give up stoning children to death if not from men that simply rejected that law of your Old Testament? Jehovah never recanted it, did he? It was a freethinker that simply said nonsense, and most of the West agreed. "

In fact yes he did!

"Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. "
KJV

United States

#8065 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>Dim is being pulverized. He is the whole thread's chew toy, a communal piñata if you will.

But don't worry about it. It's humane. Dim's oblivious to his plight. He doesn't read much, and understands less.
Derek4 is bringing forth articles from great sources. He's not babbling dribble. I'm read articles from the "New York Times" And "Scientific Journal" along with many others. So it make very little sense to attack the news paper for the bad news in it. Go to the source if you don't like it.
KJV

United States

#8066 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>He didn't say "alone." You did.

But Khatru has discredited much of Dim's fetch-and-paste. We all have.
I've seen no discrediting. I've seen more or less whining. I have yet to see the New York Times print a retraction.
KJV

United States

#8067 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>As we can see from the figures for Christianity and indeed other religions; a stupid idea remains a stupid idea irrespective of how many people subscribe to it

So where are the YECS in this list?

I guess you're so small you don't even register.
Unlike Atheist and Nonbelievers that are listed separate, Young Earth Christians are Christians and therefore listed as such. Was that to hard for the puppet to figure out?

Tomorrow we'll start working on how to write capital letters class. LOLNN
KJV

United States

#8068 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Always cheque that your copy + paste job is legible before you post it.
It doesn't alway change the characters until after I hit post then when I go back its sometimes looks like that.

At least the links work!
KJV

United States

#8069 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You're a fine one to talk about morals.

Sorry, my mistake. what you're doing here is letting someone do your thinking for you. Be careful though, as you may end up condoning genocide, incest, slavery, subjugation of women, etc.

Sorry, my mistake again. I see that you already do.

So, in essence...

Your religion means defending genocide and infanticide. It means you approve of the murder of homosexuals, as well as anyone else who wishes to exercise religious freedom.

Furthermore, you base your whole moral system on an unproveable supernatural being. You've already demonstrated that this means you're prepared to kill for those morals.

You'll excuse me if I prefer the foundation of good solid non-belief for building my ethics. My morals can be based on verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
If there is no God then it's a majority rules on morals.

Sodom and Gomorrah for example.
KJV

United States

#8070 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>How do I spell delusional?

C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N-I-T-Y
Do you really say dash between each letter? LOLNN
KJV

United States

#8071 Dec 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Re-posting a little known fact about the lovely and charming Madalyn O'Hair:

MADALYN MURRAY O'HAIR WAS NOT AN ATHEIST!

An atheist by definition is: Someone who denies the existence of God. From O'Hair's own statements, it is clear that she DID believe in God, very much so, and she hated Him with a passion...

"We find God to be sadistic, brutal and a representation of hatred."
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religi...

[Madalyn – can a god who doesn't exist can be all those things?]

[Madalyn's son left atheism and became a Christian. She couldn't even keep her own son on her side.]
Atheist love trying to add as many as they can to their little tiny group. I see now the want Satanists included to their group. Still trying to get their numbers above 2.5%. LOL
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8072 Dec 10, 2012
No, but christianity is crammed full of negatives.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really say dash between each letter? LOLNN
KJV

United States

#8073 Dec 10, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Thank the universe for the mouse scroll wheel...
Oh did the scroll wheel evolve from the rubber tree? Or something else along those lines?
KJV

United States

#8074 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Continued..

It was, of course, full of lies.

We were too smart to fall for it but not so the stupid and gullible...
Derek4 did not write the article. He did not lie and I've seen no proof from you or anyone that Dawkins did not say those things.
KJV

United States

#8075 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Here's Dim's link

http://mileswmathis.com/atheism.html

All the quotes that Dim claims came from Richard Dawkins actually came from Miles Mathis.

This also serves to demonstrate that Dim does not believe what the Bible says.
Yes I like this part

"The theist does not say he knows that God exists, he says he believes it. Faith is a belief whereas knowledge is a certainty. This gives the religious person some wiggle room. He doesn't need to talk of proofs, since a belief is never based on proofs. Belief and faith are built mainly on willpower. Atheists will say that such a foundation is quicksand, and I tend to agree, but atheists stand in even waterier mud. The atheist claims to be quite certain that there is no god, and he claims to be contemptuous of unsupported belief, so he must provide us with some firm foundation for his “knowledge.” This he can never do"

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8076 Dec 10, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You know that's a very strange thing.
I use an iPhone and when I paste the article it looks fine. I click post and go back and it's changes to the odd characters. So anyone with in site as to why this is or how to correct it I would appreciate it.
It's a unicode to ascii conversion. Likely the database used by Topix stores the unicode letters, which browsers cannot translate unless they know which encoding is use so they default to ascii. Ascii characters in unicode are represented by a 00##, so to convert to ascii it just ignores the 00 characters, since extended characters have a number there it displays both bytes as if they are ascii, thus a 3205 becomes a space and some funny character, depending on the ascii chart used by the computer displaying the information.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8077 Dec 10, 2012
Actually, I prefer to give you two fingers from my MacBook Pro's trackpad.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh did the scroll wheel evolve from the rubber tree? Or something else along those lines?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#8078 Dec 10, 2012
What things?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Derek4 did not write the article. He did not lie and I've seen no proof from you or anyone that Dawkins did not say those things.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8079 Dec 10, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I spell delusional?
C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N-I-T-Y
I don't think they can spell delusional.
KJV

United States

#8080 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>It's a unicode to ascii conversion. Likely the database used by Topix stores the unicode letters, which browsers cannot translate unless they know which encoding is use so they default to ascii. Ascii characters in unicode are represented by a 00##, so to convert to ascii it just ignores the 00 characters, since extended characters have a number there it displays both bytes as if they are ascii, thus a 3205 becomes a space and some funny character, depending on the ascii chart used by the computer displaying the information.
So are there particular characters I should notice and correct before hitting post?

Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Joe fortuna 232,915
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr Eagle 12 2,289
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 8 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 8 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 9 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 16 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
More from around the web