Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 376)

Showing posts 7,501 - 7,520 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Atheism is a lonely religion

“According to Audacious Epigone. atheists are most likely to live alone.

This is not surprising. Atheists are less desirable sexual partners. I observed this once when I was living in Washington, DC, and I wandered by an atheist convention happening on the mall. The atheist were predominately male, and significantly uglier than average.

This is because ugly people become social outcasts, and social outcasts are more likely to be attracted to outcast movements like atheism, libertarianism, communism, etc.”

continued – more comments:

“The people likely to attend atheist conventions are not the same as most atheists, I'd expect them to be uglier and less socially inclined (after all, they have nothing better to do than go to an atheism convention).”[LMAO]

“How prickly and annoying do you have to be to care if "under God" is in the pledge or to be anti-Christmas carols? Check out atheist websites and the causes that they take up. These people aren't just outcasts; they're outcasts who relish in their weirdness.”

“Humans are social animals, but atheists have no social infrastructure even close to the extended infrastructure of church denominations and interdenominational groups. A lot of atheists attend or visit Universalist, Buddhist or other non-doctrinal groups just for developing new social circles.”
http://www.halfsigma.com/2009/01/atheism-is-a...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Catholic newspaper “Alive”, calls atheists "losers and no-hopers"

“Atheists, however, believe that this is the only life there is, and while they have passing hopes in this life, they see death as ending everything. They do not hold to the most fundamental of all hopes, the hope of eternal life. In that sense they are no-hopers, as they themselves can recognise. Again, the deepest driving force, so to speak, in each of us is the yearning for happiness, a happiness that will last forever, and where all our desires are satisfied. Only God’s offer of himself could give us this complete, definitive fulfilment. Even atheists can know that from reason alone. And they can recognise that without such fulfilment all is lost, that they are the ultimate losers.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Atheism and Death: Why the atheist must face death with despair

“You or someone you know might be an atheist and you feel as though you have no despair when contemplating your death. I don't doubt that there are many atheist that, in fact, have no despair over death. But, for the atheist to live without despair, they must do so inconsistently.”

continued:

“Atheism cannot offer any comfort in the face of death. You see, everything we do includes some kind of hope. However, what kind of hope can the atheist give in the face of death? One may say that death is the final freeing of all desires and thus is good. Or that one can have hope in death if they are suffering. These really are just false hopes ...”

continued:

“After the death of his friend, Arthur Hallam, Alfred, Lord Tennyson composed his poem, "In Memorium". This poem show the stuggle he had as he wrestled with grief and the question of what ultimate power manages the fate of man. It shows the struggle he had between his realization of the consequences of his choice between atheism and God...“

Thine are these orbs of light and shade
Thou madest Life in man and brute;
Thou madest death; and Lo, thy foot
Is on the skull which thou hast made.

Are God and Nature then at strife
That Nature lends such evil dreams?
So careful of the type she seems
So careless of the single life,...

"So careful of the type?" but no.
From scarped cliff and quarried stone
She cries a thousand types are gone;
I care for nothing, all shall go.

"Thou makest thine appeal to me
I bring to life, I bring to death;
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more." And he, shall he,

Man her last work who seem'd so fair
Such splendid purpose in his eyes,
Who rolI'd the psalm to wintry skies,
Who built him fanes of fruitless prayers,

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love creation's final law--
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shrieked against his creed-

Who loved, who suffer'd countless ills
Who battled for the True, the Just,
Be blown about the desert dust,
Or seal'd within the iron hills?

No more? A monster then, a dream.
A discord. Dragons of the prime
That tear each other in their slime,
Were mellow music match'd with him.

O life as futile, then, as frail!
O for thy voice to soothe and bless
What hope of answer, or redress?
Behind the veil, behind the veil.

Atheism has parented this offspring, and it is her legitimate child--with no mind to look back to for his origin, no law to turn to for guidance, no meaning to cling to for life, and no hope for the future. This is the shattered visage of atheism. It has the stare of death, looking into the barren desert of emptiness and hopelessness. Thus, the Nietzschean dogma, which dawned with the lantern being smashed to the ground, now ends in the darkness of the grave.
http://contendforthefaith2.com/atheism.html

[How utterly depressing to be an atheist.]

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Hi Dim

You keep right on posting links that support purging Christianity of any subsequent additions after the Jesus myth. You hear?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

The one question atheists can't answer: "How do you live without hope?"

“I have been following my friend Peter Saunders series of posts based on 20 Questions Atheists Struggle to answer. It is an interesting series, and in it he attempts to engage with a group who simply don’t understand Christians. I am glad to see that the age-old craft of apologetics is far from dead. But there is one question he didn’t ask that to me at least is the most critical:

“How do you live without hope?”

I have lived now for more than 41 years. This is easily long enough to realize that this world is far from ideal. It really is a cruel world that almost seems to be thinking of ways to disappoint, damage, or ultimately destroy us. It surely can’t be long before I reach the half-way stage on my life if I haven’t already. Death, whether your own or others can bring bone-crushing sorrow, even to a Christian. So I ask,

How do you live without a hope in the after-life?

I simply cannot understand how someone faces life each day, believing that their existence and that of those they love can be permanently snuffed out in an instant. Believing that they will never meet again with those that have died. Believing that ultimately this short life is all there is.

But it is not just that. If you are an atheist by definition the universe is a random place. Everything within us cries out that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the world works. Sin, sickness, and death feel like unwelcome invaders. Few willingly welcome any of them. Yet the Christian believes that behind a broken world there is a sovereign God who will one day fix it all, and in the meantime is working everything round for good to those who love him (Romans 8:28).

If you couldn’t look an enemy in the eye and say with Joseph “You meant it for harm, God meant it for good” how do you get through life?

How do you live without hope that a person who is loving will one day fix the worlds woes and is already turning around bad things to cause good results?”
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/adrianwarnock/20...

[Atheists don't think ahead. They try to block all those thoughts out. Only their bitterness, anger, and hostility fuel them to keep going from one day to the next.]

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Catholic newspaper “Alive”, calls atheists "losers and no-hopers"
“Atheists, however, believe that this is the only life there is, and while they have passing hopes in this life, they see death as ending everything. They do not hold to the most fundamental of all hopes, the hope of eternal life. In that sense they are no-hopers, as they themselves can recognise. Again, the deepest driving force, so to speak, in each of us is the yearning for happiness, a happiness that will last forever, and where all our desires are satisfied. Only God’s offer of himself could give us this complete, definitive fulfilment. Even atheists can know that from reason alone. And they can recognise that without such fulfilment all is lost, that they are the ultimate losers.”
Catholic?

You mean mainstream Christianity?

I've heard they've got a new catch phrase......

"Pass me another altarboy; this one's split"

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Mainstream Christianity's Commandments:

Thou shalt not question us. Ever.

Thou shalt respect, obey and, for ye highest amongst us, dutifully facilitate depraved, child-abusing clerics who after all are god's appointed ones.

Thou shalt, at our will, mutilate babies and children to appease our...ahem...child-loving god.

Thou shalt only apply thy troublesome Earthly laws to us when we say so.

Thou shalt not dare be born of a sexuality that will inhibit our congregation-building baby farming, nor protect thyself against spreading deadly disease should it have the same effect on our farming targets.

Thou shalt ignore our own god's bizarre concept of all people being equal in his eyes. Ha!

Thou shalt prolong the agony of dying loved ones for as long as is inhumanly possible.

Thou shalt not believe anything as inconvenient to us as that Jesus fellow’s so called 'Sermon on the Mount'. As if he'd have anything useful to inspire the likes of us!

Thou shalt fund our lovely, privileged lives whether you are one of our unthinking slaves or an eternally damned self-thinker.

Thou shalt accept as unquestionable truth whatever inhuman, illogical, barbaric, divisive, discriminatory or plainly ludicrous pronouncements we happen to utter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic?
You mean mainstream Christianity?
I've heard they've got a new catch phrase......
"Pass me another altarboy; this one's split"
Well, ain't you perky and up early? Always great to see you!!!! Have a good weekend and enjoy those comic books, you hear?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Come on Dim

How do you marry your Christianity with your rejection of the Bible?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Re-posting:

THE FAITHFUL ATHEIST'S 3 CROSS NECKLACE

From the Heavy Red Jewelry Collection...
Style# 6396

“Even the faithless have their moments of belief. To believe in 3 is safer then one. The iconic 3 cross necklace is so aesthetically pleasing to the eye, you will certainly receive compliments all night. The 3 brushed silver crosses are perfectly placed to compliment any outfit.”

The pendant measures 2".

The chain measures 17".

Price:$48.00
order here:
http://heavyred.com/thefaithfulatheists3cross...

[I think it is wonderful that the atheists have these little tokens of their meaningless faith.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Khatru wrote:
Thou shalt respect, obey and, for ye highest amongst us, dutifully facilitate depraved, child-abusing clerics who after all are god's appointed ones.
Thou shalt, at our will, mutilate babies and children to appease our...ahem...child-loving god.
Thou shalt not dare be born of a sexuality that will inhibit our congregation-building baby farming, nor protect thyself against spreading deadly disease should it have the same effect on our farming targets.
Thou shalt ignore our own god's bizarre concept of all people being equal in his eyes. Ha!
Thou shalt prolong the agony of dying loved ones for as long as is inhumanly possible.
Thou shalt not believe anything as inconvenient to us as that Jesus fellow’s so called 'Sermon on the Mount'. As if he'd have anything useful to inspire the likes of us!
Thou shalt fund our lovely, privileged lives whether you are one of our unthinking slaves or an eternally damned self-thinker.
Thou shalt accept as unquestionable truth whatever inhuman, illogical, barbaric, divisive, discriminatory or plainly ludicrous pronouncements we happen to utter.
Thanks for sharing something out of your comic books with us today. I skimmed it, but didn't exactly "plough" through it when I saw it was just foolishness, which is so like you, Khatru. LOL

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Spot on and factually sound. A nice video on how apologetics attempt to argue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Khatru wrote:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

derek4 wrote:
“Don't Dictate Beliefs”
You try to do just that. You post beliefs with no interest in feedback. What do you call that? You're not in conversation. It's certainly not a discussion.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
The teleological and cosmological arguments connect God's existence to the known physical world, which is why they are my favorite theistic arguments; I love that "concreteness" about them.”
http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/06/are-al...
[I love that "concreteness" about them.”- me too.]
It's strange how those two arguments - the intelligent design argument and the first cause argument - don't seem to convince skeptics. Nobody ever says that they were forced to concede that a god must exist because they heard either of those arguments.

People with a god need - the psychological predisposition to project a god concept into the world, and the disregard for reason or rigor that faith based though demands - are going to welcome any such arguments. And, of course, those are the only kinds of people offering them.

It is interesting to note that in the late stages of his dementia and just prior to his death, atheist philosopher Antony Flew might have at long last embraced the teleological argument. There is no evidence that Christopher Hitchens did, however, even in his delerium while actively dying.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
My point is not that Christians or religious people aren't vulnerable to committing terrible crimes. Certainly they are. But it is not religion that produces these things
The Christian religion certainly does facilitate such crimes. It teaches intolerance and retribution, beginning with its god that is intolerant of "sin" and punishes it with eternal pain.

And just as evident is the fact that Christianity doesn't seem to prevent people from committing atrocities. In fact, a psychopathic demagogue can't do better than to have a Christian nation to manipulate. Believers will accede to any horror once they are told that it is their god's will.
derek4 wrote:
The statistics that are the result of irreligious genocide stagger the imagination.
Nonsense.

The Stalinists, Christians, Nazis, Muslims and Maoists are all religious cults that use terror, genocide, and propaganda to make people cringe in obedience.

The secular humanists are the irreligious contingent, and we have no blood on our hands. We are not a cult like the rest of you. We work to empower people, not control and exploit them. Our values are reason, skepticism, and the Golden Rule, whereas the cults above all value authority and power.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
The NT refers to Jews as dogs, snakes and a vipers brood who cannot escape being condemned to Hell. They're the people on whom God brought a "numbness of spirit" and gave them "blind eyes and deaf ears"

The NT also tells us that they're hypocrites and deaf to the truth. No less a person than Jesus told Jews who rejected him that their father was the devil and they chose to carry out their father's desires. Look yourself, there are other passages of anti-semitic text in the NT.

Although the Bible says it was the Romans who flogged your Jesus and had him killed, the early Christians blamed the Jews to avoid upsetting the Romans. It would make it much easier to continue practising this new religion if they kept Rome sweet.

Then came the early church fathers:

Tertullian told us that Israel is never clean - its hands foerever stained with blood

Origen stated that the blood of the Jews falls not just on the Jews of that time but of all Jews up to the end of the world.
Saint Ephraeum Syrus called the Jews "circumcised dogs"

Saint Gregory of Nyssa said the Jews were slayers of the Lord, murderers of prophets, enemies and haters of God.

John Chrysostom wrote "Eight Homilies Against the Jews" which tell us about the despicable nature of Judaism and of the Jewish people who were driven to the ultimate evil. Christians are warned not to come into contact with Jews, a people who within them, demons dwell and their mothers ate their own babies. Chrysostom tells us that the Jews cause is lost and they can expect no atonement.
I'm hardly scratching the surface here and much more anti-Jewish invective existed. With such writings and sermons, it's little wonder that a hatred of Jews became indelibly stamped on the mindset of Christianity.

Fuelled by the anti-Semitism of their leaders, Christians attacked and destroyed synagogues. The earliest recorded Christian pogrom of the Jews was in 414 CE in Alexandria where the Jewish community was pretty much eradicated.

With such a strong anti-Jewish mindset it wasn't long before repressive laws were created.

The Synod of Elvira forbade Jewish men from having sex with Christian women. It didn't ban Christian men from having sex with Jewish women. Jews couldn't marry Christians or even share a meal with them.

A few years later at the Council of Nicea, Christian clergy were forbidden to hold conversations with Jews.

Then along came the Codex Theodosianus which laid down a slew of anti-Jewish laws. These pretty much turned the Jews' status into that of an underclass and they were banned from the administrative, military and legal professions.
Further laws followed and the religious hatred of Christians toward Jews became state laws.

Hatred of the Jews was pretty trendy in the middle ages. Pope Innocent III used his influence by putting pressure on Christian rulers of other nations to remove Jews from public office.

Innocent added a preambles of his own to the papal manuscript "Sicut Judeis" in which he says that the Jews are not to be wiped out completely. In other words it's ok to partially wipe them out. Right.

On an on went the attacks on Jewishness. Further laws were passed and ghettos were set up for the Jews to live in. Life as a Jew in Christendom must have been pretty hellish.
Great post!

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
Both the Blood Libel and the Host Desecration led to the deaths of thousands of Jews.
Thanks for the heads up there. Both from Wiki :

"Blood libel is a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, usually Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays. Historically, these claims—alongside those of well poisoning and host desecration—have been a major theme in European persecution of Jews."

"Host desecration is a form of sacrilege in Christianity ... involving the mistreatment or malicious use of ... the sacred bread used in the Eucharistic service or Mass."

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Eric J. Smart is accused of using false data in papers ...[Not very “Smart”, lol.]
Did Dim made a funny? That's the Dim wit we all know and love!

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing something out of your comic books with us today. I skimmed it, but didn't exactly "plough" through it when I saw it was just foolishness, which is so like you, Khatru. LOL
I couldn't care less whether you read it, skim through it or ignore it.

Suffice to say we're not afraid to tackle your posts and disassemble them with consummate ease. You keep throwing them up - we'll just keep right on knocking them down.

Mind you, I couldn't help but notice your tacit approval of my post stating that you don't believe the Bible.

Good for you.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Spot on and factually sound. A nice video on how apologetics attempt to argue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
<quoted text>
Cheers

There really is so much nonsense, contradiction and error in the Bible - it's chock full of it.

No wonder there are so many apologists around making their lame excuses on behalf of their invisible sky pixie.

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,501 - 7,520 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••