Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
7,421 - 7,440 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7873 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting your belief in hell. They're warming it up fer 'ya.
How can you say that there's a Hell?

Especially as you've proven to us that you don't believe what the Bible says.

Nottingham, UK

#7874 Dec 7, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you have taken the road of being a spamming troll. If you want to actually carry on a conversation, please post something you are willing to defend.
He's too frightened to defend his posts.

Nottingham, UK

#7875 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No sense of humor? Too bad going through life as an atheist and no sense of humor.
Oh we have a sense of humour alright.

Your funny beliefs are a real joke.
Thinking

UK

#7876 Dec 7, 2012
Too much Synthemesc in Dim's milk, and not enough human kindness.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I caught the reference right away and it just seemed too apropos.

Nottingham, UK

#7877 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice cutting off my post to serve your needs.
Hitler was a Christian

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

"Except the Lord built the house they labour in vain.... The truth of that text was proved if one looks at the house of which the foundations were laid in 1918 and which since then has been in building.... The world will not help, the people must help itself. Its own strength is the source of life. That strength the Almighty has given us to use; that in it and through it we may wage the battle of our life.... The others in the past years have not had the blessing of the Almighty-- of Him Who in the last resort, whatever man may do, holds in His hands the final decision. Lord God, let us never hesitate or play the coward, let us never forget the duty which we have taken upon us.... We are all proud that through God's powerful aid we have become once more true Germans."

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech in March 1933

Nottingham, UK

#7878 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I really doubt this is true. A recent survey I saw showed the a steady increase in the "None" category. Those without religion. Which would include Atheists, Agnostics and those with Deist type beliefs.
Chances are it's a lie, if it's been posted by Dim.

Nottingham, UK

#7879 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong
The NT refers to Jews as dogs, snakes and a vipers brood who cannot escape being condemned to Hell. They're the people on whom God brought a "numbness of spirit" and gave them "blind eyes and deaf ears"

The NT also tells us that they're hypocrites and deaf to the truth. No less a person than Jesus told Jews who rejected him that their father was the devil and they chose to carry out their father's desires. Look yourself, there are other passages of anti-semitic text in the NT.

Although the Bible says it was the Romans who flogged your Jesus and had him killed, the early Christians blamed the Jews to avoid upsetting the Romans. It would make it much easier to continue practising this new religion if they kept Rome sweet.

Then came the early church fathers:

Tertullian told us that Israel is never clean - its hands foerever stained with blood

Origen stated that the blood of the Jews falls not just on the Jews of that time but of all Jews up to the end of the world.

Saint Ephraeum Syrus called the Jews "circumcised dogs"

Saint Gregory of Nyssa said the Jews were slayers of the Lord, murderers of prophets, enemies and haters of God.

John Chrysostom wrote "Eight Homilies Against the Jews" which tell us about the despicable nature of Judaism and of the Jewish people who were driven to the ultimate evil. Christians are warned not to come into contact with Jews, a people who within them, demons dwell and their mothers ate their own babies. Chrysostom tells us that the Jews cause is lost and they can expect no atonement.

I'm hardly scratching the surface here and much more anti-Jewish invective existed. With such writings and sermons, it's little wonder that a hatred of Jews became indelibly stamped on the mindset of Christianity.

Fuelled by the anti-Semitism of their leaders, Christians attacked and destroyed synagogues. The earliest recorded Christian pogrom of the Jews was in 414 CE in Alexandria where the Jewish community was pretty much eradicated.

With such a strong anti-Jewish mindset it wasn't long before repressive laws were created.

The Synod of Elvira forbade Jewish men from having sex with Christian women. It didn't ban Christian men from having sex with Jewish women. Jews couldn't marry Christians or even share a meal with them.

A few years later at the Council of Nicea, Christian clergy were forbidden to hold conversations with Jews.

Then along came the Codex Theodosianus which laid down a slew of anti-Jewish laws. These pretty much turned the Jews' status into that of an underclass and they were banned from the administrative, military and legal professions.

Further laws followed and the religious hatred of Christians toward Jews became state laws.

Hatred of the Jews was pretty trendy in the middle ages. Pope Innocent III used his influence by putting pressure on Christian rulers of other nations to remove Jews from public office.

Innocent added a preambles of his own to the papal manuscript "Sicut Judeis" in which he says that the Jews are not to be wiped out completely. In other words it's ok to partially wipe them out. Right.

On an on went the attacks on Jewishness. Further laws were passed and ghettos were set up for the Jews to live in. Life as a Jew in Christendom must have been pretty hellish.

Nottingham, UK

#7880 Dec 7, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that if the belief were irrational or self-contradictory, that it would not be held by a Christian?
Jews are called "Christ killers" by Christians for a reason. Here was a very famous German Christian that undoubtedly influenced Herr Hitler:
MARTIN LUTHER ON THE JEWS
[1] "The Jews deserve to be hanged on gallows, seven times higher than ordinary thieves"
[2] "We ought to take revenge on the Jews and kill them."
[3] "The blind Jews are truly stupid fools"
[4] "Now just behold these miserable, blind, and senseless people."
[5] "eject them forever from this country"
[6] "they are nothing but thieves and robbers"
[7] "What then shall we do with this damned, rejected race of Jews?"
[8] "Such a desperate, thoroughly evil, poisonous, and devilish lot are these Jews"
[9] "They are the real liars and bloodhounds"
[10] "We are at fault for not slaying them."
[11] "I shall give you my sincere advice: first to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them."
[12] "Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed."
[13] "Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews."
[14] "Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them"
[15] "If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs"
[16] "If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the river Elbe, hang a stone around his neck and push him over with the words `I baptize thee in the name of Abraham'."
It's Christian insanity driven by their hatred of the Jews.

The Church passed various laws and enactments which stripped away any rights that the Jews had. Christians accused the Jews of the most vile and evil crimes, leading to the insane idea of the "blood libel" - something so evil and twisted it could only have come from the Christian Church.

Try looking up "Host Desecration" if you want a laugh at further Christian stupidity and ignorance. We all know the cannibalistic side to those Christians who genuinely believed that the crackers they would eat transformed into the body of Jesus. Such was the level of Christian insanity, they also believed the Jews would want to torture these crackers in an attempt to hurt the body of Christ.

Both the Blood Libel and the Host Desecration led to the deaths of thousands of Jews.

Didn't the Catholic Church charge the entire Jewish people with deicide? I'm sure that would have fired up even greater levels of hatred in those christian heads.

I'll say it again: No wonder Hitler targeted the Jews. He was simply taking the hatred and murderous intolerance of the Christian Church to new levels of insanity.

Nottingham, UK

#7881 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever gave you the idea we were trying to get atheist to like the bible or Jesus? Listening to the atheist on these threads just helps us understand why God has done all he has. Why Saddam and Gomorrah, why the flood. Yes you make things mighty clear as to why God had to whip them out.
Can't you just feel the seething hatred in this post?

Where's all this Christian love I keep hearing about?

Must be a myth - just like the rest of your superstitious mumbo jumbo.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#7882 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting your belief in hell. They're warming it up fer 'ya.
"Arise, Scary Stick Chicken, arise!" Oogah Boogah!

Fennario

#7883 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Why is there something rather than nothing?
Nobody knows. And if your god existed, it wouldn't know why, either.
derek4 wrote:
What is the origin of life?

We don't know yet.But while we're waiting for science to produce answers, I won't be degrading myself worshiping phony god that is "so absurd he's an embarrassment even to people who don't believe in him."
derek4 wrote:
What is the origin of good and evil?
Imagination. Those words are just shorthand for "some things we like, some we don't." They don't represent anything that exists outside of the minds of men.

Fennario

#7884 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I refuse to support organizations that engage in any form of bigotry or religious proselytizing ... the Salvation Army discriminates against LGBT individuals on religious grounds. They also discriminate against non-Christians in their hiring practices even though they receive federal funds. As far as I am concerned, this is more than enough to exclude them as a charity I am interested in supporting.
Agree.

Fennario

#7885 Dec 7, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
God can not create imperfection, hence, man had to choose to transition to a "fallen" state where he could learn by experience, outside of the presence of God. Not only did man fall, but all that God created changed to become "corrupt" or able to deteriorate and die. There are eternal laws that God must obey. In order for us to learn and grow, we must have experience.
This god sounds weak and dangerous to me. He doesn't seem to have as much control as he has power.

Fennario

#7886 Dec 7, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I don't think it is fair to take all the Christian ideologies, boil them down to concentrated glop, pull the slag off the top and say that it is representative of Christians as a whole.
You might if you saw things through the eyes of a skeptic. Your various doctrinal differences don't really matter to us. It's the church's political presence as a collective. It tends to vote Christian, and embodies certain Christian values whatever the denomination. Thus, Catholics, Mormons, Episcopalians, Jehovah's Witnesses and Baptists might not agree about anything else, but they form a united front opposing progressive politics and humanist values. They're all pretty happy to throw gays and atheists under the bus, for example, and to oppose abortion rights, sex education, and stem cell research.

That's what Christianity is to me. I don't care which eat wafers or go to church on Saturday.

So, yeah. I pretty much think of you as a collective.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#7887 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I really doubt this is true. A recent survey I saw showed the a steady increase in the "None" category. Those without religion. Which would include Atheists, Agnostics and those with Deist type beliefs.
And you failed to link to the survey.

Location hidden

#7888 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. He goes out of his way to be just as hateful as he can possibly be and then can't understand why his actions elicit derogatory replies.
All he ends up doing is giving people even more reasons to not like any belief system that would produce such a hateful little person.
All the Christians feel your “love”, lol.

Location hidden

#7889 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
People are "mean" to you because you're an idiot parading as an intellectual, people are inherently mean toward liars like you, it's a natural trait.
As I've noted many times, as long as your kind doesn't like me, I know I'm on the right track. So thanks for the compliment – maybe you're not as bad as I thought. LMAO

Location hidden

#7890 Dec 7, 2012
EdSed wrote:
I think most people will be secular or atheist, if they think about it. They'll increasingly conclude that religious beliefs are divisive and more trouble than they're worth.
Dream on, but your thoughts aren't supported by statistics, and never will be, lol.

Location hidden

#7891 Dec 7, 2012
[Here's a new case of scientific misconduct. We need to keep current. We are seeing more of these in the news every day.]

Former researcher at UK penalized in scientific misconduct case alleging data falsified

“A former University of Kentucky researcher has agreed to a voluntary "debarment" for seven years after a scientific misconduct case that included allegations of falsified data.

The Lexington Herald Leader reports that Eric J. Smart is accused of using false data in papers and grant applications over the last 10 years. Smart resigned from UK in May and currently works as a high school chemistry teacher in Bourbon County.

Smart did not respond to the newspaper's requests for comment, but Bourbon County Superintendent Lana Fryman said he told her the allegations were "absolutely untrue" and said there is no evidence on which to base the allegations.

UK general counsel William Thro says the both the university and the federal government investigated and determined there had been misconduct.”
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/15e36de...

[Not very “Smart”, lol.]

Location hidden

#7892 Dec 7, 2012
Fraud fighter:'Faked research is endemic in China'

Shi-min Fang tells us how risking his life and libel writs to expose scientific misconduct in his native China has just won him the inaugural Maddox prize

You've just won the inaugural Maddox prize, awarded for your continuing work exposing scientific misconduct in China despite the threats you face. How does that feel?
I am thrilled and honoured. There are many people who are supporting me and fighting with me, so I consider this award as an acknowledgement of all our efforts, not just mine.

What prompted you to start challenging dubious pseudoscientific claims in China?
In 1998, after eight years studying in the US, I returned to China and was shocked to see it was deluged with pseudosciences, superstitions and scientific misconduct.

What action did you decide to take?
I had created a Chinese website called New Threads in 1994 when I was a graduate student at Michigan State University as a forum for sharing Chinese classics and literature. From 2000, I started to publish articles on the site fighting scientific misconduct and fraud. Eventually, New Threads became a flagship for those fighting pseudoscience, misconduct, fraud and corruption among the Chinese science community.

Are dubious claims a big problem in China?
The majority of cases exposed are plagiarism, the exaggeration of academic credentials and faked research papers, which are endemic in China.

continued:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2162891...

[All of today's peer review groups, and all the controls in place, yet “faked research is endemic”. Imagine all the faked research in Darwin's day.]

["I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science."
Charles Darwin]

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 min Patrick 21,501
Our world came from nothing? 7 min Patrick 418
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 min Tuco Blondie 226,290
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 38 min Thinking 25
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 54 min True Christian wi... 44
100% Faith Free 3 hr Thinking 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 902
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••