Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7853 Dec 7, 2012
swerty wrote:
<quoted text>Adolf Hitler, in a speech in Berlin on 24 Oct. 1933 [This statement clearly refutes modern Christians who claim Hitler as favoring atheism. Hitler wanted to form a society in which ALL people worshipped Jesus and considered any questioning of such to be heresy. The Holocaust was like a modern inquisition, killing all who did not accept Jesus. Though more Jews were killed then any other it should be noted that MANY ARYAN pagans and atheists were murdered for their non-belief in Christ.]

Here Hitler uses the Bible and his Christianity in order to attack the Jews and uphold his anti-Semitism:
Yes he used Christianity didn't mean he really was one.

Location hidden

#7854 Dec 7, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Hitler was christian, leading a country of anti semitic christians.
No you're wrong

Brain dead. Simply brain dead.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#7855 Dec 7, 2012
IANS quoted Bullwinkle: "Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak."
Aerobatty wrote:
I miss Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Good pick-up! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

Location hidden

#7856 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>I really doubt this is true. A recent survey I saw showed the a steady increase in the "None" category. Those without religion. Which would include Atheists, Agnostics and those with Deist type beliefs.
Now pay close attention to the last entry and it name "Atheist" vs "non-religious"
2nd to last.

IF THEY WERE THE SAME THEY WOULD HAVE LISTED THEM THAT WAY!

The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, non-religious 9.42%, atheists 2.04%.

Wow. A whole 2.04% you guys are kicking some ass. LOL

Type all the lie you want survey after survey shows Atheist below 2.5%

Location hidden

#7857 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>I really doubt this is true. A recent survey I saw showed the a steady increase in the "None" category. Those without religion. Which would include Atheists, Agnostics and those with Deist type beliefs.
A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious." In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."

Wikipedia:

"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"

Wikipedia :

"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"

Wikipedia :

"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"

"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American population."

"Global atheism is shrinking and demographic changes in the United States and the world are expected to shrink the influence of American secularism.
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.
In 2011, the American Spectator declared concerning research published in the International Bulletin of

Missionary Research:
The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."

Location hidden

#7858 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
Posted earlier by derek4

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]

July, 2012

“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]

Fennario

#7859 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I claimed?
AGAIN: YOU say I claimed?
I repeat, your reference is to content of web page material.
That's right, polymath. Dim has no opinions of his own. He's merely an empty vessel serving as a vector for his handlers. He has informed us repeated that he has no interest in any other ideas.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't flay him nevertheless. The rest of us are interested in ideas.

Fennario

#7860 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
correction on my post to Kitten:
I wrote, "I notice you were once a Mormon. You converted to atheism from Mormonism." I should have written: "You converted from Mormonism to atheism."
Oh, look! Dim nearly had a thought of his own. He changed the order of the words in a sentence!

Fennario

#7861 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"most of the prejudice I've encountered has been from atheists who, with varying degrees of good grace, suggest that I'm stupid or ill-informed for my beliefs."
How is that prejudice if they met him, Dim?
derek4 wrote:
My supervisor at work who is an atheist, and who never misses an opportunity to tell everyone around him that he is, insists on giving me a hard time every single year when I ask for annual leave for religious observation.
No special rights for the superstitious.

Fennario

#7862 Dec 7, 2012
derek4 wrote:
One of SHAFTs primary functions is as a social sanctuary of sorts." WHAT IS SHAFT?
"This cat Shaft is a bad mother (Shut your mouth) But I'm only talking about Shaft"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#7863 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Now pay close attention to the last entry and it name "Atheist" vs "non-religious"
2nd to last.
IF THEY WERE THE SAME THEY WOULD HAVE LISTED THEM THAT WAY!
The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, non-religious 9.42%, atheists 2.04%.
Wow. A whole 2.04% you guys are kicking some ass. LOL
Type all the lie you want survey after survey shows Atheist below 2.5%
That's because they are two different things, there are actually a lot of religions without gods, they would count as atheists on such a poll, non-religious would be both atheist and lacking any and all beliefs in the supernatural. Basically, because the poll was organized with some atheistic religions as their own category, the only thing you can take from this is that there are a lot of people on the planet, and that's it.

Location hidden

#7864 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. He goes out of his way to be just as hateful as he can possibly be and then can't understand why his actions elicit derogatory replies.

All he ends up doing is giving people even more reasons to not like any belief system that would produce such a hateful little person.
What ever gave you the idea we were trying to get atheist to like the bible or Jesus? Listening to the atheist on these threads just helps us understand why God has done all he has. Why Saddam and Gomorrah, why the flood. Yes you make things mighty clear as to why God had to whip them out.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#7865 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Posted earlier by derek4
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]
Funny that you would pull it from a Mormon source.

Fennario

#7866 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Dim here has no idea what he really posted and cannot address any of the content as it is far beyond his ability to understand. And of course he also has no idea what it means to actually take responsibility for one's actions ....
....Which is to say, Dim's a typical Christian.
I wish that you could hear me laughing out loud at seeing others referring to this dim bulb as "Dim. In case you missed it earlier, Dim was the extremely stupid droogie in A Clockwork Orange.

"LOL" does not suffice. This was not a chuckle, nor a titter, nor a or mere tee-hee, but a full blown guffaw.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#7867 Dec 7, 2012
Derek, Langoliers, Broadfoot and Downhill246 put a misleading case when suggesting that atheists are in the minority, much less a tiny minority. Who believes that the majority of free and educated people seriously believe superstitious myths such as Jesus died for our sins, or prophet(s) were sent by God/Allah? People who like statistics should look at all of them objectively and the overall picture they illustrate.

Religions may have made more sense when the Earth was thought to be flat or the centre of the universe. Now, religion is outdated and steadily being abandoned by modern people. We are far more enlightened, educated and knowledgable than generations past.

The simple fact is that all these 'religions'...
http://www.godchecker.com/
including the ones based on Abrhamic god(s) are myths and superstitions.

Religion = superstition
There's no escaping that.

I think most people will be secular or atheist, if they think about it. They'll increasingly conclude that religious beliefs are divisive and more trouble than they're worth.
Thinking

UK

#7868 Dec 7, 2012
Bollocks, christard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Pr...
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No you're wrong
Brain dead. Simply brain dead.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7869 Dec 7, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish that you could hear me laughing out loud at seeing others referring to this dim bulb as "Dim. In case you missed it earlier, Dim was the extremely stupid droogie in A Clockwork Orange.
"LOL" does not suffice. This was not a chuckle, nor a titter, nor a or mere tee-hee, but a full blown guffaw.
I caught the reference right away and it just seemed too apropos.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7870 Dec 7, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies puppet boy.
You've seen the proof.

You're in denial.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7871 Dec 7, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever gave you the idea we were trying to get atheist to like the bible or Jesus? Listening to the atheist on these threads just helps us understand why God has done all he has. Why Saddam and Gomorrah, why the flood. Yes you make things mighty clear as to why God had to whip them out.
I'm just amazed at the example you provide of what it means to be a Christian -- nothing but hate. Don't cha hate it that you can't just burn us at the stake anymore?

And you really believe that Lot's wife was turned into a condiment? That's just delusional.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7872 Dec 7, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude before Christ there was no Christianity. You're putting the cart in front of the horse. Jesus a Jewish Rabbi upon fulfilling the prophecies drew a band of followers. it was that group of followers that later were deemed Christians. So while the OT is part of the Christian faith there was no Christians before Christ.
And according to your pal Dim's link.

Christianity would have been much better if it had stopped at Christ.

No Paul, no letters, no Revelations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 22 min Igor Trip 510
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 25 min NightSerf 29
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 47 min Chimney1 358
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 55 min Rosa_Winkel 227,993
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Eman 22,519
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 11 hr cancer suxs 5
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Thinking 140
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••