Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7811 Dec 6, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't an evolution of Christian theology. Its a restoration, not a reformation.
This is why Mormons are so different, they didn't rewind Christianity 800 or 1500 years. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints represents the same principle church and organization that existed when Christ was on the earth.
You ... actually buy that part? That's a bedtime story they tell newbs to lure them in, nothing more. Sheesh. How long as you been in the church? A month? Maybe two? I know a Catholic who actually knows more about your religion than you do.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7812 Dec 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
You morons I mean Mormons are funny. And yes Mormons believe they will get their own planet and become gods themselves.
Joseph smith once wrote that there were great cities on the moon and the people there were far advanced compared to us and they lived forever.
Wow was he wrong :))
I can't believe you morons errrr Mormons fall for this Bullsht.
Still crying over Mitt Romney?
<quoted text>
The funny part of that, he described them like Quakers, in dress fashion. It's often joked about that he thought Quakers were aliens, though that's not true, just too coincidental, and in the camp trips we had little else to do on the three or four hour rides.

Oh, Mormon kids have it lush, camp grounds, free for Mormon families, with fishing and hiking trails at all of them. One was on the beach. Beautifully kept, coed and segregated outings too, they are at least not prudish like other christians who pretend kids are all evil monsters. Mormons do have the lowest teen pregnancy rate as well, irony. Mostly the coed thing was a result of homophobic leaders, actually, but it is healthy for kids as well.

Then another sect spun off from them recently, and those ones are pure nasty. Even then, don't trust any of them. Don't buy it, the members born into the church are trained snake oil salesmen from the crib on.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7813 Dec 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>I see you don't keep up with the news. Pity how much time you spend in the cult bubble blind to reality.

Also I see you endorse slavery and cheer that the bible preaches to do this abominable act.
"I see you don't keep up with the news"

What the hell does the news have to do with that ridicules avatar that you use?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7814 Dec 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get why you think that that is funny.

The question doesn't specify whether it refers to before or after the flood. And apparently, some Christians think that there were humans that didn't perish in the flood apart from the crew of the ark.
No sense of humor? Too bad going through life as an atheist and no sense of humor.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7815 Dec 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Are you shaking the Scary Chicken On A Stick at us now, too?

"Oogah boogah. Abracadabra, please and thank you. Shlemiel, shlemazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated. Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak."
Nope no chicken on a stick.
Just in a bucket with red and white strips.

You're not from Haiti are you?
Voodoo is your religion?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7816 Dec 6, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.
Nice cutting off my post to serve your needs.

I'll have to repost it then.

"

Do you believe this?
What a sucker! You would believe anything Hitler said! Yes Hitler called himself a Christian. You believe him!
Why would he lie? You need to learn what a Christian is. Hitler was no Christian.

"Hitler was not a Christain or a Christian. I have zero interest in your spelling problems or your other problems, but as for Hitler, you will get the same answer any and every time in one form or another any time you want to say Hitler was a Christian. This is not open to dispute, since Hitler was not a Christian.

Was Hitler a Christian?

October 30, 1999

Dear Straight Dope:

In my numerous online debates in various chatrooms, I have learned the following: many Christians seem to think that Adolf Hitler was an atheist (or at least wasn't "Christian"). Of course I and my fellow atheists know better, as Hitler mentions his devotion to Christianity numerous times in his writings. Can you clear this up for me? Was Hitler an "honest to God" Christian, or was he simply using religion as a means of control?- Carl Stieger

The short answer is a definite "maybe" or, more precisely, "probably neither." The looooong answer is somewhat more complicated.

You are right that Hitler did mention Christianity many times in his writings. He paid Christianity a lot of lip service in Mein Kampf, and he claimed to be a Christian. But Hitler's secretary, Martin Bormann, also declared that "National Socialism [Nazism] and Christianity are irreconcilable" and Hitler didn't squawk too much about it. Similarly, Hermann Rauschning, a Hitler associate, said, "One is either a Christian or a German. You can't be both." In addition, Hitler declared Nazism the state religion and the Bible was replaced by Mein Kampf in the schools.

First, let's look at what he said that seems to put him on the anti-Christian side:

According to a press release from Catholic League President, William A. Donohue (2/4/99): "Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church. In 1933, Hitler said,'It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood.'"

[further down, within the text:]

“... atheists looking for a quick cheap-shot may claim Hitler was a Christian; similarly, Christians looking for a quick shot may claim he was an atheist. Know what? Hitler was a vegetarian! Oooh, those evil vegetarians! He also recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.(So by the "reasoning" used in these types of arguments, if you are truly anti-Hitler, you should smoke heavily and only give your baby beer!) Better watch out, though he was an oxygen-breather, too! In other words, does it really matter whether Hitler was an atheist or a Christian or whatever? Just because somebody may hold a particular worldview (along with other views) doesn't make him a spokesman for that view, or even remotely representative of others who hold that view.”"

continued:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699... ;

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7817 Dec 6, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I have no wish to be your slave master.
You're morally f**ked.
Have you escaped from your master?
LOL

When you get real I will too.

Nut job!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#7818 Dec 6, 2012
What does the news have to do with my Avitar?

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha haha!!

Pffftfttttt hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaha !!!

Keep braying jackass! OMFG!
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"I see you don't keep up with the news"
What the hell does the news have to do with that ridicules avatar that you use?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7819 Dec 6, 2012
Sorry, Hitler, and all the people who did the horrible things he asked them to, were all christian. Cop-out all you want with the lame and over used no true Scotsman fallacy, it's still a fallacy. They acted in the name of their god, end of story.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7820 Dec 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
What does the news have to do with my Avitar?
Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha haha!!
Pffftfttttt hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaha !!!
Keep braying jackass! OMFG!
<quoted text>
Well, I guess we can at least agree with them that there are talking mules, huh?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7821 Dec 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"I see you don't keep up with the news"
What the hell does the news have to do with that ridicules avatar that you use?
" http://abcnews.go.com/International/malala-yo... ;

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#7822 Dec 6, 2012
As foretold in the bible! Talking jackasses!

:))
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I guess we can at least agree with them that there are talking mules, huh?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7823 Dec 7, 2012
same here i come on here to learn as well, but that dickhead derek want go away,
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire. I am not out to impress anyone. And btw I am learning from people on this forum. As an exC is kinda therapy for me ;) I suggest you actually read and digest some of the posts here, and you will benefit too and regain your sanity.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7824 Dec 7, 2012
The Holocaust was caused by Christian fundamentalism:



History is currently being distorted by the millions of Christians who lie to have us believe that the Holocaust was not a Christian deed. Through subterfuge and concealment, many of todays Church leaders and faithful Christians have camouflaged the Christianity of Adolf Hitler and have attempted to mark him an atheist, a pagan cult worshipper, or a false Christian in order to place his misdeeds on those with out Jesus. However, from the earliest formation of the Nazi party and throughout the period of conquest and growth, Hitler expressed his Christian support to the German citizenry and soldiers. Those who would make Hitler an atheist should turn their eyes to history books before they address their pews and chat rooms.

Considering that Christianity has thus far been incapable of producing an unbiased, educated follower which speaks the truth,(I havent encountered any), I have been forced to dispel the myth by writing this essay. It is not until I bring up his speeches, my personal info on the Nazi regime and their tactics that a Christian will begin to question what their clergy told them.(I am the offspring of a German soldier. My Opa served under Hitler in WW2 and my father was raised during the time of the Nazi regime. This is important information to take into consideration for I am privy to some info that most Americans do not know. It is common for American media and education institutions to lie to their citizens concerning Nazi Germany.) So, in presenting this information I must break it into four parts: 1) Facts about Hitler and his involvement with the Church. 2) How the Church was the catalyst for anti- Semitism. 3) Facts concerning how the Nazi regime drilled these beliefs into Germanic society. 4) Quotes Hitler made which prove he had a disdain for atheism/occultism, upheld his Christian faith, and hated Jews due to his Christianity
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope no chicken on a stick.
Just in a bucket with red and white strips.
You're not from Haiti are you?
Voodoo is your religion?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7825 Dec 7, 2012
How Christianity was the catalyst of the Holocaust:

Hitlers anti-Semitism grew out of his Christian education. Austria and Germany were majorly Christian during his time and they held the belief that Jews were an inferior status to Aryan Christians. The Christians blamed the Jews for the killing of Jesus. Jewish hatred did not actually spring from Hitler, it came from the preaching of Catholic priests and Protestant ministers throughout Germany for hundreds of years. The Protestant leader, Martin Luther, himself, held a livid hatred for Jews and their Jewish religion. In his book,On the Jews and their Lies, Luther set the standard for Jewish hatred in Protestant Germany up until World War 2. Hitler expressed a great admiration for Martin Luther constantly quoting his works and beliefs.

Now, you must remember before Hitler rose to Chancellor of Germany the country was in a deep economic depression due to the Versailles treaty. The Versailles treaty demanded that Germans made financial reparations for the previous war and Germany simply was not self sufficient enough in order to pay the debt. Hitler was the leader that raised Germany out of the depression and brought them back to a world recognized power. Due to his annulment of the financial woes of the Germanic people he became their redeemer and they anointed him as the leader of the German Reich Christian Church in 1933. This placed him in power of the German Christian Socialist movement which legislates their political and religious agendas. It united all denominations, mainly the Protestant/Catholic and Lutheran people to instill faith in a national Christianity.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you escaped from your master?
LOL
When you get real I will too.
Nut job!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7826 Dec 7, 2012
Adolf Hitler, in a speech in Berlin on 24 Oct. 1933 [This statement clearly refutes modern Christians who claim Hitler as favoring atheism. Hitler wanted to form a society in which ALL people worshipped Jesus and considered any questioning of such to be heresy. The Holocaust was like a modern inquisition, killing all who did not accept Jesus. Though more Jews were killed then any other it should be noted that MANY ARYAN pagans and atheists were murdered for their non-belief in Christ.]

Here Hitler uses the Bible and his Christianity in order to attack the Jews and uphold his anti-Semitism:
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you escaped from your master?
LOL
When you get real I will too.
Nut job!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7827 Dec 7, 2012
thers pics on the inter net, hitler with the pope in the vatican, you dont get near the pope if your not a bible botherer,
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope no chicken on a stick.
Just in a bucket with red and white strips.
You're not from Haiti are you?
Voodoo is your religion?
Thinking

UK

#7828 Dec 7, 2012
If you care, why don't you know?

There are references in Ephesians, 1 Timothy and Luke.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Where?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#7830 Dec 7, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't hate the Jews, we love them! They have given us more than half of the scripture we have now!
Should be all of the scripture you have now. Christianity started life as a sect of Judaism. You know. That guy. The tribal semitic war god ;) which then evolved into something less angry.
Thinking

UK

#7831 Dec 7, 2012
Yes, Hitler was christian, leading a country of anti semitic christians.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice cutting off my post to serve your needs.
I'll have to repost it then.
"
Do you believe this?
What a sucker! You would believe anything Hitler said! Yes Hitler called himself a Christian. You believe him!
Why would he lie? You need to learn what a Christian is. Hitler was no Christian.
"Hitler was not a Christain or a Christian. I have zero interest in your spelling problems or your other problems, but as for Hitler, you will get the same answer any and every time in one form or another any time you want to say Hitler was a Christian. This is not open to dispute, since Hitler was not a Christian.
Was Hitler a Christian?
October 30, 1999
Dear Straight Dope:
In my numerous online debates in various chatrooms, I have learned the following: many Christians seem to think that Adolf Hitler was an atheist (or at least wasn't "Christian"). Of course I and my fellow atheists know better, as Hitler mentions his devotion to Christianity numerous times in his writings. Can you clear this up for me? Was Hitler an "honest to God" Christian, or was he simply using religion as a means of control?- Carl Stieger
The short answer is a definite "maybe" or, more precisely, "probably neither." The looooong answer is somewhat more complicated.
You are right that Hitler did mention Christianity many times in his writings. He paid Christianity a lot of lip service in Mein Kampf, and he claimed to be a Christian. But Hitler's secretary, Martin Bormann, also declared that "National Socialism [Nazism] and Christianity are irreconcilable" and Hitler didn't squawk too much about it. Similarly, Hermann Rauschning, a Hitler associate, said, "One is either a Christian or a German. You can't be both." In addition, Hitler declared Nazism the state religion and the Bible was replaced by Mein Kampf in the schools.
First, let's look at what he said that seems to put him on the anti-Christian side:
According to a press release from Catholic League President, William A. Donohue (2/4/99): "Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church. In 1933, Hitler said,'It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood.'"
[further down, within the text:]
“... atheists looking for a quick cheap-shot may claim Hitler was a Christian; similarly, Christians looking for a quick shot may claim he was an atheist. Know what? Hitler was a vegetarian! Oooh, those evil vegetarians! He also recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.(So by the "reasoning" used in these types of arguments, if you are truly anti-Hitler, you should smoke heavily and only give your baby beer!) Better watch out, though he was an oxygen-breather, too! In other words, does it really matter whether Hitler was an atheist or a Christian or whatever? Just because somebody may hold a particular worldview (along with other views) doesn't make him a spokesman for that view, or even remotely representative of others who hold that view.”"
continued:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699... ;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Catcher1 230,908
Evidence for God! 52 min Uncle Sam 41
Heaven 4 hr susanblange 41
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 8 hr tha Professor 76
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Chiclets 23,039
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr _Bad Company 1,103

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE