Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#7762 Dec 6, 2012
Excerpt #2 from:“Lonely Atheists of the Global Village”

The Real Christianity

“In an inn in the little village of Bressanone (Brixen) in northern Italy, there is a fresco painted many centuries ago, whose main subject is an elephant, by a painter who had obviously never seen an elephant. Clearly, he was trying to represent on the wall what someone had tried to tell him about elephants. He painted a large, heavy horse, with unusually floppy ears, and a nose considerably longer than that of an average horse--but still a horse's long nose.

We used to smile at that fresco, and similarly the Christian reader will smile at the primitive fresco of Christianity painted by Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris. They miss the real thing by a country mile.”
http://www.aei.org/article/society-and-cultur...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7763 Dec 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I claimed?
AGAIN: YOU say I claimed?
I repeat, your reference is to content of web page material. Although I post material I often agree with, the author of the web page is the source of what you are apparently disputing. If you're alleging it was a direct quote from ME, you are mistaken, as it is my policy to pass along scientific observations by way of linked sources. I am not a biological scientist, and don't pretend to be. Neither are you, by your own admission.
As I have repeatedly commented to you and the forum, if you object to content, you should express those concerns to the web page you question. I cannot and would not change what the link says.
This will not be readdressed.
If you are not willing to actually have a discussion about the material you post, then you shouldn't post it in the first place. Otherwise, you are simply a spamming troll. your choice.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7764 Dec 6, 2012
slaves traders
derek4 wrote:
The Real Christianity
“In an inn in the little village of Bressanone (Brixen) in northern Italy, there is a fresco painted many centuries ago, whose main subject is an elephant, by a painter who had obviously never seen an elephant. Clearly, he was trying to represent on the wall what someone had tried to tell him about elephants. He painted a large, heavy horse, with unusually floppy ears, and a nose considerably longer than that of an average horse--but still a horse's long nose.
We used to smile at that fresco, and similarly the Christian reader will smile at the primitive fresco of Christianity painted by Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris. They miss the real thing by a country mile.”
Thinking

UK

#7765 Dec 6, 2012
Spamtard.
derek4 wrote:
The Real Christianity
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#7766 Dec 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
you're on this forum trying too hard [it shows, lol] to impress your fellow godless, here-today-gone-tommorrow atheist “friends”... and you're going nowhere with it.
Au contraire. I am not out to impress anyone. And btw I am learning from people on this forum. As an exC is kinda therapy for me ;) I suggest you actually read and digest some of the posts here, and you will benefit too and regain your sanity.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7767 Dec 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:

"You claimed that living matter cannot come from non-living matter and I pointed out that *all* living matter is built from non-living matter, that the only difference between living and non-living matter is organization. You have offered no refutation of this point.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I claimed?
AGAIN: YOU say I claimed?
I repeat, your reference is to content of web page material. Although I post material I often agree with, the author of the web page is the source of what you are apparently disputing. If you're alleging it was a direct quote from ME, you are mistaken, as it is my policy to pass along scientific observations by way of linked sources. I am not a biological scientist, and don't pretend to be. Neither are you, by your own admission.
As I have repeatedly commented to you and the forum, if you object to content, you should express those concerns to the web page you question. I cannot and would not change what the link says.
This will not be readdressed.
In other words Poly, Dim here has no idea what he really posted and cannot address any of the content as it is far beyond his ability to understand. And of course he also has no idea what it means to actually take responsibility for one's actions ....

....Which is to say, Dim's a typical Christian.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7768 Dec 6, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I'm not sure I get this. Maybe in a cultural, general sense.
But christianity has at its core belief the worship of a Jew as God. So Hitler hated Jews, but worshiped one as god? Doesnt seem to add up to me. Agree?
According to his own words, Hitler felt he was carrying out the Lord's plan in exterminating the Jews for not believing. And he had a willing following of sheeple to carry out his "final solution" - Gott Mit Uns.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7769 Dec 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how your argument pale in comparison to someone who actually knows what they are talking about and have true bases for his believe. Even if I disagree with him he at least is no child.
Argument? What are you rambling on about?

Nottingham, UK

#7770 Dec 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Zombie go around eating brains not ascending into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God. Oh and Zombies are make believe. Time to put down the Comice books.
Make believe?

Are you trying to say that your god is for real?

lol

Nottingham, UK

#7771 Dec 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And apparently, some Christians think that there were humans that didn't perish in the flood apart from the crew of the ark.
Langoliers is one of those Christians.

Nottingham, UK

#7772 Dec 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot and would not change what the link says.
But you have no problem in taking what someone says and deliberately passing it off as someone else's quotation?

You're going to burn, Dim.

Nottingham, UK

#7773 Dec 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are not willing to actually have a discussion about the material you post, then you shouldn't post it in the first place. Otherwise, you are simply a spamming troll. your choice.
He's a spamming troll alright.

Dim by name and dim by nature.

If dishonesty and cowardice were on the menu, Dim would be ordering seconds.

Nottingham, UK

#7774 Dec 6, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
According to his own words, Hitler felt he was carrying out the Lord's plan in exterminating the Jews for not believing. And he had a willing following of sheeple to carry out his "final solution" - Gott Mit Uns.
Christianity has a long history of anti-Semitism.

It's little wonder that Hitler targeted the Jews; he was simply taking the hatred and murderous intolerance of the christian church to new levels of insanity.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7775 Dec 6, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think was the smart idea?
Evolving christian religions to better fit reality instead of denying reality because it never fits the mythology. That is what a delusion is, and every theist has that delusion, You should get help, but since you won't you are useless.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#7781 Dec 6, 2012
Which is why he needs to be reported. He has even posted clusters of the same off topic spam up to 18 times! It's a waste of bandwidth and just obnoxious.

Time to flush.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#7786 Dec 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are not willing to actually have a discussion about the material you post, then you shouldn't post it in the first place.
So you can argue in a circle for 20 posts that go nowhere about it?

No one tells me what, how, or when to post, and my participation in the forum creates no obligation to respond to you in any way, shape or form. We have opposing views, and we always will. It is not essential that we agree, and I couldn't care less if we ever do, nor do I feel any compelling desire to convince you of the material I post. In other words, your opinion really makes me no difference whatsoever.

You don't like the material I posted, so take it up with the link that was provided, or let it go – the choice is yours. But - you're rather dense not to catch on after being told that 3 or 4 times. That's rather typical of trolls and atheists.

Location hidden

#7787 Dec 6, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire. I am not out to impress anyone.
It's good to know you're not trying to impress, because you certainly are NOT impressing anyone. LMAO

Location hidden

#7788 Dec 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
But you have no problem in taking what someone says and deliberately passing it off as someone else's quotation?
You're going to burn, Dim.
Thanks for admitting your belief in hell. They're warming it up fer 'ya.

Location hidden

#7789 Dec 6, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you tire of her self righteous holier then thou attitude then just babbles dribble?
She doesn't know anything. Seventy-five percent of what she posts says nothing – not worth the effort she spends typing it, but with atheists, that's what we expect, lol.

Location hidden

#7790 Dec 6, 2012
“Why Atheism Fails: The Four Big Bangs”

Their titles sound so confident:

The Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism and Islam by Michel Onfray.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens.

Letter to a Christian Nation: A Challenge to Faith by Sam Harris.

and of course, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Yet, like all atheists before them, they still can’t answer the fundamental questions of origins.

1) What is the origin of the universe? Why is there something rather than nothing? How do you get matter and energy from nothingness? How do you get a rock out of nothing?

2) What is the origin of life? How do you get life from non-life? How do you go from a rock to a tree?

3) What is the origin of mind? How does a living thing become a self-conscious being? How do you go from a tree, to an animal, to a human?

4) What is the origin of good and evil? How does an amoral being become morally aware?

Atheists respond to all these types of questions with essentially the same style answer.“We know God doesn’t exist. Therefore, since we’re here, though, it had to have happened this way. Thus, like the universe itself, life, mind, and mo-rality all ‘just popped’ into existence out of nothingness.”

I call them the Four Big Bangs:

1’) the Cosmological (the universe “just popped” into existence out of nothingness).

2’) the Biological (life “just popped” into existence out of a dead thing).

3’) the Psychological (mind “just popped” into existence out of a brain).

4’) and the Moral (morality “just popped” into existence out of amorality).

For their many obfuscating words, the authors still don’t improve much beyond the “just popped” thesis, if at all.

I was an atheist for 27 years. I used to play on that team. I used to pick on religious people too. I knew the arguments to press and those to avoid.

[CONTINUED IN NEXT POST]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Joe fortuna 233,185
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 17 min thetruth 2,624
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 25 min thetruth 23,274
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 29 min thetruth 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 32 min thetruth 177
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 39 min thetruth 213
God' existence 43 min thetruth 96
More from around the web