Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
7,201 - 7,220 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

KJV wrote:
"The concept of Armageddon predates Christianity and Islam. Zarathustra, founder of Zoroastrianism, was a Persian, who it is believed was the first prophet to preach monotheism. Estimates of Zarathustra's birth range from 660 BCE to 6,000 BCE. Zarathustra preached that there was a supreme God (Ahura Mazda), and an evil spirit (Ahriman). There was also a serpent king (Zohak) under the influence of Ahriman. The apocalyptic process is remarkably similar in Zoroastrianism, a battle foreshadows the end of the world, then there is a waiting period followed by a second battle that vanquishes all evil, followed by a peaceful era. Zarathustra's version of Armageddon is derived from an even older version in Indo-European myth.(Winn 209-211)"
Are you changing teams now? Did you even read this? It says that your mythology is a second hand myth: "Armageddon is derived from an even older version in Indo-European myth."

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Edited from http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
KJV wrote:
TV evangelists reach an estimated 60 million regular viewers (a conservative figure) in the United States, who (according to a Nielsen survey) believe that nuclear war is inevitable because the Bible predicts that planet earth will be destroyed by fire.

The "divinity / second coming of Jesus" theory may arguably qualify as the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind, and there is a great danger that the "Rapture"ť or "Armageddon" could manifest itself as a self-fulfilling prophecy ... a minority, hardliners from the three Abrahamic faiths ... are trying to create an atmosphere of spiraling violence that could possibly lead to massive destruction and conflagration on our planet. If they get their way, there will be no savior on the horizon with a sword protruding from his mouth (somewhat paradoxical), but hundreds of millions of very disappointed and possibly dead people."
You really need to read what you post before you post it. This is extremely counterproductive for you. It highlights the danger that your religion poses to the world.

In fact, I've reposted it in another thread in follow up to this post there http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... :

Evo-Lotion is Rub-ish wrote: "Whatever compromises the survival of the human species is to be eradicated."

IANS wrote: "Your church preaches apocalypse. It also teaches that scientists, including climatologists, aren't to be trusted or believed. Eradication of your church isn't necessary. We only need to neutralize it.“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand”- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan"

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

What's thicker than the bible?

The people that preach it
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin was a flaming racist and stole work from others.
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

See what well known atheist Sam Harris has to say about Buddhism.

http://www.nichirenbuddhist.org/

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

derek4 wrote:
“I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”

“If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God.”- Lord William Kelvin
Here are some more quotes from "Lord" Kelvin, this famous faith based thinker, showing us just how shrewd his judgment and insight were:

• "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
• "X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
• "Radio has no future."
• "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now; All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

Now, thanks to you, Dim, we can add these:

•“I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”
•“If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God.”

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

derek4 wrote:
“There can never be any real opposition between religion and science; for the one is the complement of the other.”
- Max Planck
Yet your religion is dying at the hand of scientific revelation. Go figure.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

your mjesina=satanic wind body..Are you for sure your expert is new experiment?
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo
vanity vanity
nothing new under sky
you try tell us about new experiment oh ho ho ho

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

KJV wrote:
"From the perspective of the latest physical theories, Christianity is not a mere religion, but an experimentally testable science.”
- Professor of mathematical physics Frank Tippler"

Got love it!
I bet you don't love it when you see the results of the scientific investigations of the claims of Christianity. So far, they've contradicted most of Genesis and Exodus for starters, as well as claims that prayer is efficacious.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo wrote:
See what well known atheist Sam Harris has to say about Buddhism.
http://www.nichirenbuddhist.org/
Nothing too flattering. From http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/killi... :

"Given the degree to which religion still inspires human conflict, and impedes genuine inquiry, I believe that merely being a self-described “Buddhist” is to be complicit in the world’s violence and ignorance to an unacceptable degree." - Sam Harris

Elsewhere, Harris admires the naturalistic aspects of Buddhism - the contemplative and philosophical side. But when it becomes religion, he isn't too complimentary:

"Indeed, there are ideas within Buddhism that are so incredible as to render the dogma of the virgin birth plausible by comparison. No one is served by a mode of discourse that treats such pre-literate notions as integral to our evolving discourse about the nature of the human mind. Among Western Buddhists, there are college-educated men and women who apparently believe that Guru Rinpoche was actually born from a lotus. This is not the spiritual breakthrough that civilization has been waiting for these many centuries."

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

truth wrote:
your mjesina=satanic wind body..Are you for sure your expert is new experiment?
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo
vanity vanity
nothing new under sky
you try tell us about new experiment oh ho ho ho
Thanks, Balki.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
.. So to accept Jesus as a historical person we must also accept Hercules.
<quoted text>
I take your point. But I cant help feeling this goes too far, into the realm of conspiracy theory.

My view is a person called Jesus could have existed. I wasnt saying this as a fact. But regardless of whether this person existed or not, the accounts are so contradictory and confusing. So not really much solid conclusions can be drawn from them. Except that the evidence is not good enough to form any firm beliefs. This is why I stopped believing.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

derek4 wrote:
A PERSONAL FAVORITE:
:“I think only an idiot can be an atheist. We must admit that there exists an incomprehensible power or force with limitless foresight and knowledge that started the whole universe going in the first place.”
To start out with a super intelligent being, going against how we understand the universe evolved. The evidence shows the universe started with simple beginnings and the cosmos over eons became more complex. Likewise when life evolved here on earth, it started out as simple life forms, and evolved over billions of years into the complexity we have today.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you don't love it when you see the results of the scientific investigations of the claims of Christianity. So far, they've contradicted most of Genesis and Exodus for starters, as well as claims that prayer is efficacious.
There are no christian claims in Genesis or Exodus.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
In Paul's letters he teaches that since the "fall of man" in the garden of Eden, we are all tainted with original sin, and are all guilty before God and in need of redemption. Therefore God sent his Son Jesus as the second Adam to pay for our sins, and make us good again with God, according to the christian storybook.

Now as we know that the stories of Genesis are MYTH, contradicting archeology and science, then there is no need for redemption from original sin, cause "the fall" never happened. Jesus was not paying for anything by being crucified, and the mythology built up around these stories is false. Do you agree?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing too flattering. From http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/killi... :
"Given the degree to which religion still inspires human conflict, and impedes genuine inquiry, I believe that merely being a self-described “Buddhist” is to be complicit in the world’s violence and ignorance to an unacceptable degree." - Sam Harris
Elsewhere, Harris admires the naturalistic aspects of Buddhism - the contemplative and philosophical side. But when it becomes religion, he isn't too complimentary:
"Indeed, there are ideas within Buddhism that are so incredible as to render the dogma of the virgin birth plausible by comparison. No one is served by a mode of discourse that treats such pre-literate notions as integral to our evolving discourse about the nature of the human mind. Among Western Buddhists, there are college-educated men and women who apparently believe that Guru Rinpoche was actually born from a lotus. This is not the spiritual breakthrough that civilization has been waiting for these many centuries."
Sam Harris is a lying demagogue who appeals to hatred and fear.

In "The End of Faith", Harris stated that “Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them”(pp. 52-53). This raised so many eyebrows, even among atheists, that Harris-The-Pussy felt obliged to issue some clarification on the internet. He said he was talking about people like Osama Bin Laden. He's lying, of course, because he equates the threat of Christian ideas with those of Osama.

He is suggesting it might be necessary to exterminate groups of people for their ideas because of something they might do someday. Millions believe like Osama, but never harm anyone. Harris justifies murdering them in advance.

Sam Harris is a pig who inadvertently revealed himself in alignment with Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pott, and Mao.

This is why humanists should never be allowed power over anyone or anything.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
In Paul's letters he teaches that since the "fall of man" in the garden of Eden, we are all tainted with original sin, and are all guilty before God and in need of redemption. Therefore God sent his Son Jesus as the second Adam to pay for our sins, and make us good again with God, according to the christian storybook.
Now as we know that the stories of Genesis are MYTH, contradicting archeology and science, then there is no need for redemption from original sin, cause "the fall" never happened. Jesus was not paying for anything by being crucified, and the mythology built up around these stories is false. Do you agree?
Paul's letters are not in Genesis or Exodus.

There are no christian ideas in Genesis or Exodus.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no christian ideas in Genesis or Exodus.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here. Are you a christian?

If so, you have to believe the Genesis and the rest of the OT, at least to accept it in a limited sense.

Now if you have come to the conclusion that the OT is BS, and resembles sharia law, well done, you are on the path to enlightment.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
REally?

Without a literal Adam & Eve there is no original sin and the whole mythology falls apart.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
To start out with a super intelligent being, going against how we understand the universe evolved. The evidence shows the universe started with simple beginnings and the cosmos over eons became more complex. Likewise when life evolved here on earth, it started out as simple life forms, and evolved over billions of years into the complexity we have today.
Hello, Adam. I appreciate your regular ongoing participation in the forum, and I always enjoy reading your comments.

I'm sorry that it appears you didn't like the scientist quotes I shared with the forum, since you presented sort of a (catch-all) condensed science lesson in response to this particular Christian Anfinsen quote I posted:

Christian Anfinsen:“I think only an idiot can be an atheist. We must admit that there exists an incomprehensible power or force with limitless foresight and knowledge that started the whole universe going in the first place.”

Adam, I mean you no disrespect, since I'm sure you're a fine person, even though, by your own admission, you oscillate back and forth between atheism and Christianity - but again, I need to remind you and the forum participants of my consistent policy: If you find objection to the content of any web page, you should present your concerns to the publisher of that page. I provide links with my post for your convenience. Telling me about your concerns won't get rid of the internet material you object to. You have to stand up for your beliefs and fight with the publishers of the web pages, to see if you can get the truth deleted.

Unfortunately, I can't re-write history to help you feel better about your atheism or the fraudulent theory of evolution, nor can I take back quotes made by great scientists of the past.

Christian Anfinsen passed away in 1995, so it's a little late for him to benefit from your vast knowledge of science.

Maybe you could send a letter to his survivors and let them know how you feel. Then you can say you tried to convert his family to atheism, which may bring you some degree of personal satisfaction. At least you will have tried – that's all you can do, right?

Finally, let me say that I do recognize that the atheists in our forum would like to believe all scientists support evolution and subscribe to godlessness. Unfortunately, however, that just isn't true.

I hate to let you down, but many of our fine scientists were / are Christians.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Atheist groups fight each other

“Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on the battle between two national atheist organizations:

A war has broken out between the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) and American Atheists. It’s over money. Both are appealing to the same small pool of angry nonbelievers, and there is only so much dough to go around. FFRF pulled the trigger.

American Atheists sought to put its vile message on billboards in Tampa and Charlotte, home of the two political conventions. It got shut out of Tampa, and recently said it was pulling its billboards in Charlotte, allegedly because of threats. Enter FFRF: it succeeded in getting its billboards posted in both cities.

So what’s the problem? FFRF is furious that many are mistakenly attributing its billboards to American Atheists. FFRF says,“Please do not confuse FFRF’s billboard message with that of another atheist group, which tried unsuccessfully to place a very different message in Tampa, and which has voluntarily removed its billboards in Charlotte.” In other words, FFRF wants the credit, and the cash that goes with it.

FFRF is right about one thing: the messages are not identical. American Atheists sought to dump on Mormons and Christians, saving its most vicious comments for the latter (notice it didn’t rip on Jews or Muslims). The Christian God, it said, was “Sadistic,” the product of a “Useless Savior” who “Promotes Hate.” Well, they would certainly know something about hate. By contrast FFRF’s message is not hate-filled: it simply says,“God Fixation Won’t Fix This Nation.” This may be moronic, but it is not negative; it is vintage fare from the hapless ones.

How effective are these ads? The Republicans are largely composed of the faithful, and the Democrats are largely populated by secularists; the former won’t convert and the latter already have. So why bother?“
http://oregonfaithreport.com/2012/08/atheist-...

[Why don't these atheists learn to work together? They are such a minority anyway, it's a shame to see them divided. Unity is the answer.]

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••