Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 36)

Showing posts 701 - 720 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Conduct Unbecoming
David Weatherall
The Great Betrayal: Fraud in Science. Horace Freeland Judson. xvi + 463 pp. Harcourt, 2004.
Contrary to their public image, scientists are normal, flawed human beings. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that from time to time dishonest scientists appear on the scene. However, the spate of reports of cases of scientific fraud in the United States that hit the headlines in the 1980s, culminating in the much-publicized affair involving a collaborator of Nobel laureate David Baltimore, suggested that science was suffering from a veritable crime wave. Hunting down scientific misconduct became a major pastime, and it appeared that even the great names of the past—Newton, Mendel, Darwin, Pasteur and Freud, for example—had not been above manipulating their data when it suited them.
http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pu...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then, it's a whole new ballgame!
Their deity belief didn't have a thing to do with the science performed.
How do I know this?
Scientists who are atheists make the same types of discoveries.
Ahhh, maybe you were suggesting that a theist, who is a scientist, is intelligent, too.
That's probably the case, but, that doesn't validate or lend proof that the deity is real.
It's the same with Engineers, Doctors etc...
Lemme ask you something; If you were going to a Doctor for a very important treatment, would it comfort you if, as he walked in, he placed a voodoo doll or fetish on the procedure table and casually remarked when he noticed you looking at it:
"Oh, don't mind that, a Witch Doctor has cursed me with a spell from dat ole ebbil debbil god Kalfu", ebberting gwine be fine, dun chu worry mon, me be up all de night be doin me reechuals.
Then says a voodoo prayer, and tells you that you'll wake in a couple hours after he is done.
Would that inspire confidence in him?
Would you feel better knowing that he has a deity belief? Do you think his deity belief gives him an advantage?
Keep in mind, his religious belief is just as strong, valid and substantial as the Christian belief.
When you reply to a post, your comments should address the post to which you are replying. Yours did not. When you want to introduce a new thought, you need to start a new post. You did not. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you don't know the definition of a troll either.
New and contributory? LOL!!! Is that your criteria for posting here?. If so, you have yet to fill your own criteria!!
The fact is, that I generally don't post too much that is new, as it isn't required. You poor theists can't get past anything old that I have posted. In your case, you haven't even tried! I can only assume that you simply don't have the capacity to engage in rationsl debate, so you try redirection, and ignorance at every turn.
As for my user name, It is NOT "The serpen was always right", it is "The serpent was right". Do try and keep up. Obviously your ADHD is getting the best of you again.
It is a reference to the myth of creation found in the bible, where god lied to Adam and Eve, and the serpent set them straight. Of course, it is only a silly story, and only the most uneducated dullard would possibly try to imply that an atheist would take such nonsense literally.
I would like to extend a passing and insincere apology for erroneously inserting the additional word “always” into your user name. I should have been paying more attention – but I got careless and in a hurry, since you never say anything worthwhile anyway, and I glanced at it, then mistakenly inserted the extra word!!! Then too, I guess I was assuming you felt you were always right, but I should know you would never be that presumptuous, would you?

So other than that, nothing has changed then. Just to make sure we're clear, you user name, "The serpent was right" refers to “the myth of creation found in the bible”[your words] which you don't believe. The serpent (satan)– a mythological [your word] person or character was right, even though [in your belief] he does not exist. Yet, he was “right”.

Okay - is it supposed to be funny?[It isn't]

Cute?[NOT]

Only the most “most uneducated dullard” would identify themselves with something to which they are diametrically opposed and select it as their user name. But if you're happy with it, I can understand that. I thought maybe there was a deeper message in there somewhere, but I should have known you wouldn't have anything deep anywhere, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

<quoted text>
"US psychologist James H. Leuba and his landmark survey of 1914. He found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected US scientists expressed disbelief or doubt in the existence of God, and that this figure rose to near 70% among the 400 "greater" scientists within his sample [1]. Leuba repeated his survey in somewhat different form 20 years later, and found that these percentages had increased to 67 and 85, respectively [2].
In 1996, we repeated Leuba's 1914 survey and reported our results in Nature [3]. We found little change from 1914 for American scientists generally, with 60.7% expressing disbelief or doubt. This year, we closely imitated the second phase of Leuba's 1914 survey to gauge belief among "greater" scientists, and find the rate of belief lower than ever — a mere 7% of respondents."
I suppose the point to your post is that most scientists do not believe in God. Don't you think I knew that already?

So you go with the majority, then?

Well, okay - go back and read your post #675. Here's part of what you wrote to me in that post:“If the majority thought that pink unicorns were real, that wouldn't make it so, but you would be in there pitching for the pink unicorn crowd, wouldn't you?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

<quoted text>
NO, you fail to respond in an itelligent matter, and than run away.
I don't readdress the same issues over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Study your Bible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Master wrote:
<quoted text>
You do have very good patience in dealing with Satan's little puppets.
God has blessed you.
Hang in there, buddy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The percent of scientists who hold religious beliefs has been declining from around 30% in 1914 to less than 10% in 1998.
[July 1998 issue of Nature: "Leading Scientists Still Reject God." Nature, 1998; 394, 313.]
<quoted text>
"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity." [Carl Sagan]
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." [Carl Sagan]
"God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it." [Carl Sagan]
"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." [Carl Sagan]
Carl Sagan needs to figure out what he believes, doesn't he? Not very consistent!!! Maybe his research is much the same, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Andrew Wakefield

“... the very kindest thing that can be said about Andrew Wakefield is that he is utterly incompetent as a scientist. After all, it’s been proven time and time again that his unethical and scientifically incompetent “study” that was published in The Lancet in 1999 claiming to find a correlation between vaccination with MMR and autistic regression in autistic children with bowel symptoms was at best dubious science and at worst fraudulent...

... Wakefield’s Lancet paper, even interpreted as sympathetically as possible, concluded nothing that justified such language. Yet his rhetoric, along with sensationalistic and credulous British journalists, ignited a firestorm of fear over the MMR that has not yet subsided now, over a decade later. Vaccination rates plummeted in the UK, and measles, a disease once thought to be under control, has surged back and become endemic again. It is a feat that Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey appear to be trying to replicate right here in the U.S. with their wonderfully Orwellian-named Green Our Vaccines activism and ceaseless promotion of anti-vaccine messages.”
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

In cancer science, many "discoveries" don't hold up
By Sharon Begley
NEW YORK | Wed Mar 28, 2012
“A former researcher at Amgen Inc has found that many basic studies on cancer -- a high proportion of them from university labs -- are unreliable, with grim consequences for producing new medicines in the future...

...The failure to win "the war on cancer" has been blamed on many factors, from the use of mouse models that are irrelevant to human cancers to risk-averse funding agencies. But recently a new culprit has emerged: too many basic scientific discoveries, done in animals or cells growing in lab dishes and meant to show the way to a new drug, are wrong.”

continued:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/us-...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you reply to a post, your comments should address the post to which you are replying. Yours did not. When you want to introduce a new thought, you need to start a new post. You did not. Your cooperation is appreciated.
You don't have to answer.

A non answer is an answer itself.

Since: Dec 10

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you should take your own advice.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to extend a passing and insincere apology for erroneously inserting the additional word “always” into your user name. I should have been paying more attention – but I got careless and in a hurry, since you never say anything worthwhile anyway, and I glanced at it, then mistakenly inserted the extra word!!! Then too, I guess I was assuming you felt you were always right, but I should know you would never be that presumptuous, would you?
So other than that, nothing has changed then. Just to make sure we're clear, you user name, "The serpent was right" refers to “the myth of creation found in the bible”[your words] which you don't believe. The serpent (satan)– a mythological [your word] person or character was right, even though [in your belief] he does not exist. Yet, he was “right”.
Okay - is it supposed to be funny?[It isn't]
Cute?[NOT]
Only the most “most uneducated dullard” would identify themselves with something to which they are diametrically opposed and select it as their user name. But if you're happy with it, I can understand that. I thought maybe there was a deeper message in there somewhere, but I should have known you wouldn't have anything deep anywhere, lol.
Since you lack sincerity in all that you do, it comes as no surprise that you have some lame excuse. No surprise there.

The fact that your thinking is so limited that it cannot fathom my username is no surprise either. I would explain the deeper meaning, but why bother wasting my time on someone with such an obviously limited mentality. As I implied earlier, you are a dullard.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose the point to your post is that most scientists do not believe in God. Don't you think I knew that already?
So you go with the majority, then?
Well, okay - go back and read your post #675. Here's part of what you wrote to me in that post:“If the majority thought that pink unicorns were real, that wouldn't make it so, but you would be in there pitching for the pink unicorn crowd, wouldn't you?”
Ho-hum....
Once again you have displayed your spectacularly limited ability to reason or understand even the most basic or common concepts. It is almost painful at this point to have to spoon feed you what would be obvious to anyone with a reading ability above the fifth grade.

Anyway, my post was in response to your dull, and childish examples of the vast minority of scientists who believe in some sort of god myth or another. Did I think you already knew that? Why would I assume that? Your posts thus far so totally lack any semblance of origanality, intelligence, education, or even common sense, it would be ridiculas to credit you with any kind of assumed experience beyond that of an elemetary school attendee.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't readdress the same issues over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Study your Bible.
NO, you fail to respond in an itelligent matter, and than run away. Your pathetic attempt to run away by using the above sad excuse is at best laughable, but a wonderful example of your dishonesty.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Master wrote:
<quoted text>
Learned it from you!
Go look at the different threads, you have far far worse hundreds of times.
Oh and the bibles says man will crush the head of the Serpents with their heals for the rest of days. God Cursed the Serpent. And this is what you pick for your idol.
"Learned it from you!
Go look at the different threads, you have far far worse hundreds of times."

LOL!!! Ok peewee, time to grow up. What sock puppet were you posting as those "hundreds of times"? Your dishonesty is staggering.
"Oh and the bibles says......"
The bible says alot of stupid things, it is sad that you believe them. My idol? Sorry, more ignorant, uneducated, childish misunderstanding from you.

Any proof that yourgod is real yet? I didn't think so.
Master

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Baylor University, one of the finest Baptist Universities in the World:

"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."
Just what... I believe in the bible not some men because men can be tricked.

In case you didn't know the churches of the world have wrong many times. The bible has never been wrong.

Your post carries no weight. Again!
Master

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

<quoted text>Not surprisingly, you completely missed the context that I was posting that in. LOL!!! You godbots never disappoint!! LOL!!!
NOT!
Master

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

<quoted text>It's the "no true scotsman" fallacy!!!
Precious!! I am surprised it took this long for some dolt to envoke it.

You are a classic!!!LMAO!!!
Master wrote:
<quoted text>
"Many theists understand evolution(unlike you) and accept it as fact."

I know! That's so funny! What a bunch of harlequins.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Master wrote:
<quoted text>
3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
As you slither around these threads the heels of men crush your head.
His seed and the seed of woman would have hatred between them. The seed of the woman would crush the serpent’s head, while he would bruise his heel.
You simply bruise our heels and we crush your head.
Oh goody, more silly stories from the big book of fairy tales!!!

I see you still can't prove your god is anything more than a stone-age bedtime story.

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Master wrote:
<quoted text>
Myth?
He sure has his way with you.
More silly talk.
Sorry, the story about the boogie-man stopped working a long, long time ago. When you grow up, you'll understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 701 - 720 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••