Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
7,141 - 7,160 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Darwin’s Theory a Deception
“Darwinism claims that humans evolved from apes: a theory which directs us to believe that all species evolved through simpler forms to more complex ones. Darwin himself was a seminary dropout with absolutely no degree or authority in scientific matters whatsoever. It is a wonder then, that he still had people naïve enough to believe in him and stick by his theories - people who were, and still are, willing to deceive themselves thereby.
Darwin was a well-respected naturalist. His colleagues were other scientists. But there were no degrees in naturalism at the time, so he did not have such a degree. But that is not the same as saying he was unqualified.

Also funny that those 'naive' followers were the respected scientists of the time. It is funny that those who actually do research in biology uniformly agree with evolution.
To be sure, there is not a single piece of evidence for evolution from simpler forms. Birds are said to have evolved from reptiles, but no fossil has ever been found having a ‘half-scale/ half-wing' representation.
Not at all what evolution would expect. Your lack of understanding of the theory does not make the theory wrong.

With modern developments in molecular biology, it is impossible for us to believe the theory of natural selection to be a scientific fact. Biologists from both camps - those of the secular evolutionary and those of the non-secular non-evolutionary school - have brought forth fossils which are millions of years old, but the fact remains that, to date, no one has brought forward an intermediate fossil from anywhere on earth.
Many intermediates have been found. But each intermediate gives two 'gaps' for the idiots to complain about. The evolution of birds from feathered dinosaurs is one of the better series of intermediates we have, by the way.
Evolving a new species is scientifically impossible. Cockroaches, ants, sharks and grass hoppers are some examples of the most primitive species that are still alive and well on this planet. The cockroach, in particular, has been around on earth for a staggering 320 million years. Fossil records show that this species has remained the same today as it was when it first appeared on earth. Why then have there been no changes in this species?
First, the cockroach is NOT the same species today as it was 320 million years ago. They are recognizably similar, but no ancient species is the same as any modern species. The species have, indeed, changed over time.

Second, evolution does not *require* change when a species is well-adapted to the environment it is in. It is changes in the environment and the changing adaptedness that changes species over time. Cockroaches are very well adapted to the environments they inhabit.

Similar comments apply to ants, for example. No modern species of ant is the same as any fossil species. They have a family resemblance, but they are not identical. Furthermore, we can trace some of the changes to ant species over time from the specimens captured in amber.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Who in your opinion has been the most influential scientist in history.
I don't think it is that easy to compare the influence of different scientists. Newton comes up as a prime candidate: he was the first to provide a reasonably comprehensive universal mathematical theory of mechanics. He also did important work in optics. Maxwell is another good candidate: he unified electricity and magnetism into a single mathematical theory that also explained light for the first time. he also did fundamental work in statistical mechanics.

Other good names are Galileo, who showed that the old Aristotelian models are unworkable, Darwin, who changed the way we look at biological species and our biological nature, Faraday, who did many of the basic experiments in electricity and magnetism, etc.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about Catholics and all the Protestant groups that accept evolution. Are they heretics? Think about joining the 21st century.
There have always been heretics in all denominations. I mean, you're a great example of one. According to yourself, you were once a fake christian, then you switched to being a fake atheist, lol. You're basically just a fake.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Adam wrote:
You cannot prove or disprove the existence of invisible fairies living at the bottom of my garden. However such a belief is highly unreasonable. Rational people do not believe in invisible super-natural beings, without good evidence to support and justify such a belief.
Is there anything unique or new about your observation that we haven't already seen a thousand times from other atheists? In what way do you feel you've contributed to the forum? You just typed some insignificant, meaningless words, lol. Why?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution has changed a great deal since Darwin's time: the details of genetic were unknown to Darwin, the effects of small populations were not considered, etc. But the basic material: that most change in species is due to natural selection, is stable and verified many times over.
A great deal indeed was unknown to Darwin. His theory should be discarded. He didn't really have anything credible to present. His friend Haeckel, actually made up drawings, some of which are still used in textbooks today, lol.

“Fossils fascinated and frustrated Charles Darwin. While on the HMS Beagle expedition,“I have been wonderfully lucky with fossil bones,” Darwin wrote.“Some of the animals must have been of great dimensions: I am almost sure that many of them are quite new.”
http://www.darwinthenandnow.com/tag/fraud/

"I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science."
Charles Darwin

“To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.”
Charles Darwin

“The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us.”
Charles Darwin

“The question of whether there exists a Creator and Ruler of the Universe has been answered in the affirmative by some of the highest intellects that have ever existed.”
Charles Darwin

“Often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may have not devoted myself to a fantasy.”
Charles Darwin

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me one atom in your body that is alive. Show me one molecule in your body that would be different if it was in a non-living body. The point? ALL living things are actually made of non-living matter. None of the atoms or molecules in your body are alive. So you are not made of 'living matter'. Instead, the *organization* of this non-living matter is what makes something alive. The fact that the chemical reactions in your body are far from equilibrium and are driven by the food you eat and the oxygen you breath is a scientific fact. But the laws of chemistry do not change simply because the chemicals are inside of a living body. On the contrary, it is those constant laws of chemistry that *make* that body alive.
You are attempting to dispute a portion of web content previously posted.

Just a reminder to everyone in the forum: If you wish to dispute the contents of a web page, you should refer to the publisher at the link provided, since I have no interest in your unsubstantiated objections to web content.

Also, please refrain from going into lengthy unprofessional scientific dialogue which you've copied somewhere but failed to link to the unknown author. When you do that, it's not credit worthy - therefore is a waste of my time and your time.

Thanks for your usual fine cooperation. LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Who in your opinion has been the most influential scientist in history.
You.

LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

The Atheist That Hates

“I am hateful, hateful of religion. I hate what religion does to people and that people use it as an excuse to not think. I have spent many years of my life as an Atheist and have learned to handle my emotions, but no other word quite describes how I feel towards religion short of hate. I am outspoken, open minded, and will share my opinion. If you're looking for someone who will always agree with you, that won't be me.”
http://hatefulatheist.tumblr.com/

[So what distinguishes you from any other atheist? You sound like most all atheists to me. But when you hate, you only hurt yourself. So go ahead and hate – nobody cares, lol.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Question:
“My parents are atheist and they are forcing me into atheism but I want to be a christian...what do i do?”

Answer:
“I am proud that you want to take a stand and make your own choices. Most children blindly accept the religion of their parents. I always said religion is like a disease in that the only two ways most people contract (adopt) it is either by genetic or hereditary means (family) or by being effected by a contagious person (missionary). It is rare that a person comes to a religious understanding at a young age on their own. Just let your family know that it is a personal choice that you have made and what they believe will not effect it.”
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...

[Atheist parents dictating their religious beliefs]

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

“I grew up without any religious education, and was agnostic. I never went to church growing up, and only knew as much about Christianity as I was able to pick up from culture and the media … ie, not much! When I was younger, I had some sort of vague belief in God, but I knew nothing of Christianity or any other faiths. As I got older,I started to adopt an atheistic attitude, mostly because my friends at the time were atheists, not due to any particular reason or life circumstance.

Halfway through earning my degree in Information Systems at university, I started to feel that something was missing in my life. By all accounts I had things pretty good. I generally didn’t have to worry about money, I was doing well in school, and had a loving family. Yet, I felt depressed. I decided to make a list of things I wanted to try, in order to find out what that “missing part” of my life was. One of the items on the list was to investigate religion (and God) for the first time. I figured it was worth a shot and wouldn’t cost me anything. It’d be at least a good learning opportunity.

So I decided to investigate various religions to see whether any of them were credible. I can’t recall all of the faiths that I looked at, but I definitely spent some time with Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism and Christianity. I wanted a faith that was true: Something that made me feel good but was not grounded in reality was not worth considering.

As far as I can recall, the first religion I looked at was Buddhism. I had a positive impression of Buddhism, probably from the positive way Buddhism is usually portrayed in the media. I never heard Buddhism being criticized. It seemed to be the most “socially acceptable” religion.(Social acceptance is hardly the best test for truth! But such was my thinking at the time.)

Buddhism is atheistic; at least, the question of God’s existence is said to be peripheral to Buddhist faith. Some Buddhists believe God exists, but many don’t. To me, any religion that is atheistic is not a religion at all, it is merely a philosophy, invented by humankind and therefore no better or worse than any other philosophy (at least in terms of potential for error). If a religion differs within itself so widely on the most central topic of faith (whether or not God exists) it’s difficult to even call it one faith at all. How could Buddha have been so misunderstood that his followers could not agree on the most basic question of whether God exists or not, and whether that matters?(I would say yes God does exist, and yes it does matter … but we haven’t quite come to that point yet!)

I read about the various leaders of religions; for example, Muhammad of Islam, Joseph Smith of Mormonism and Jesus of Christianity. I was somewhat surprised by what I discovered. All claimed to have the right answer, the “only way”, but Jesus was the only one who claimed to BE the only way: he claimed to BE God! Why follow mere men, who would be filled with error, instead of God himself, in whom there would be no error?”

Continued:
http://www.whyfaith.com/mystory/

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I would imagine it effects you as much as you post effect me. Zippo
Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Isn't it neat that we have more historical proof for Hercules than we have for Jesus?:)
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Isn't it neat that we have more historical proof for Hercules than we have for Jesus?:)
Even if a Jesus character did exist, and I think its possible, he was an ordinary person and not God. In the light of reason his magic tricks are nothing special and the things he said unimpressive and his quotations not original.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin was a well-respected naturalist. His colleagues were other scientists. But there were no degrees in naturalism at the time, so he did not have such a degree. But that is not the same as saying he was unqualified.
Also funny that those 'naive' followers were the respected scientists of the time. It is funny that those who actually do research in biology uniformly agree with evolution.
<quoted text>
Not at all what evolution would expect. Your lack of understanding of the theory does not make the theory wrong.
<quoted text>
Many intermediates have been found. But each intermediate gives two 'gaps' for the idiots to complain about. The evolution of birds from feathered dinosaurs is one of the better series of intermediates we have, by the way.
<quoted text>
First, the cockroach is NOT the same species today as it was 320 million years ago. They are recognizably similar, but no ancient species is the same as any modern species. The species have, indeed, changed over time.
Second, evolution does not *require* change when a species is well-adapted to the environment it is in. It is changes in the environment and the changing adaptedness that changes species over time. Cockroaches are very well adapted to the environments they inhabit.
Similar comments apply to ants, for example. No modern species of ant is the same as any fossil species. They have a family resemblance, but they are not identical. Furthermore, we can trace some of the changes to ant species over time from the specimens captured in amber.
Darwin was a flaming racist and stole work from others.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there anything unique or new about your observation that we haven't already seen a thousand times from other atheists? In what way do you feel you've contributed to the forum?
I dont claim here to be an original thinker and bring breathtaking revelations. I am just debating issues of interest to me. Anyhow, why should I defend myself. Looks to me, like *you* are trolling an Atheism forum. I guess you dont like being told some home truths. i.e. like christianity is nonsense.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Fixed.:)
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Mitt Romney is a flaming racist and stole work from others.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Why is that 'neat'; notwithstanding the fact it is a lie?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Fixed.:)
<quoted text>
You're out of your league. Buzz off.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are attempting to dispute a portion of web content previously posted.
I am attempting to dispute *your* assertions.
Just a reminder to everyone in the forum: If you wish to dispute the contents of a web page, you should refer to the publisher at the link provided, since I have no interest in your unsubstantiated objections to web content.
The link is available above.
Also, please refrain from going into lengthy unprofessional scientific dialogue which you've copied somewhere but failed to link to the unknown author. When you do that, it's not credit worthy - therefore is a waste of my time and your time.
Thanks for your usual fine cooperation. LMAO
I did not copy from any other website. My contribution is from my own brain and in my own style. If you do not want to comment on the *content* of my post, you are agreeing that your previous argument is faulty.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
There have always been heretics in all denominations. I mean, you're a great example of one. According to yourself, you were once a fake christian, then you switched to being a fake atheist, lol. You're basically just a fake.
If IANS ever describes your posts as purulent, you know you're in trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 min Buck Crick 224,120
Our world came from nothing? 39 min Buck Crick 203
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Buck Crick 21,387
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 3 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 5 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr religionisillness 834
•••
•••