Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
KJV

United States

#7458 Dec 2, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I'll share this one of IANS with you:

You know how you whackjobs believe that Adam was made in the image of your god?

Well, I asked whether that meant your god had a foreskin.

IANS said that we can't be sure about that but we do know that Jesus had one because he told us so himself.

When he was nailed to that cross and pretending to die, he called out....

"My god! My god! Why hast thou foreskinned me?"

This was misheard by the author of Mark who added it to his error-strewn book.

ROFLMAO!
You make a good comedian standing in front of you mirror. Keep it up!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7459 Dec 2, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And just think, Dim - you haven't spent even a minute composing an original thought yet, and you brag that you haven't read a thing that doesn't already agree with your biases.
Somehow, you are proud of these distinctions. So am I.
Absolutely

When it comes to originality of thought, the non-believers are beating the Dim crowd hands down.
KJV

United States

#7460 Dec 2, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I'll share this one of IANS with you:

You know how you whackjobs believe that Adam was made in the image of your god?

Well, I asked whether that meant your god had a foreskin.

IANS said that we can't be sure about that but we do know that Jesus had one because he told us so himself.

When he was nailed to that cross and pretending to die, he called out....

"My god! My god! Why hast thou foreskinned me?"

This was misheard by the author of Mark who added it to his error-strewn book.

ROFLMAO!
"Question: "Does Satan still have access to Heaven? Why does God allow Satan to enter Heaven, as recorded in the Bible?"

Answer: Satan was originally one of God’s holy angels, but he rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven (Luke 10:18). That was only the first stage of his judgment. Satan’s kingdom was vanquished at the cross (John 12:31-32). Later, he will be bound in the abyss for one thousand years (Revelation 20:1-3) and then will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity (Revelation 20:10).

Until his final judgment, Satan is “the prince of this world”(John 14:30), but it seems that he still has restricted access to the heavenly realms. In Job 1:6, Satan stands in the presence of God.(See 2 Chronicles 18:18-21 for a similar situation involving a “lying spirit.”)

Since God is holy and absolutely without sin (Isaiah 6:3), and since He will not even look on evil (Habakkuk 1:13), how can Satan be in heaven? The answer involves God’s sovereign restraint of sin. In Job 1, Satan stood before God to give an account of himself. God initiated the meeting, led the proceedings, and remained in absolute control (verse 7). The result was that Satan’s power was limited (verse 12) and God was glorified.

Here are some other facts to note: 1) Satan does not have open access to God’s presence. He is summoned by God. 2) The visits are temporary. His time before God’s throne is limited. 3) In no way is the purity of heaven tainted by the brief, God-ordained presence of a sinful being,“quarantined,” as it were, by God’s regulatory power. And, 4) Satan’s access is only granted prior to the final judgment. After the judgment, God creates a new heaven and new earth (Revelation 21:1), wipes away all tears from our eyes (verse 4), reveals the New Jerusalem (verse 10), and promises the complete absence of sin (verse 27).

When we say,“God cannot allow sin into heaven,” we simply mean that God cannot allow human beings who are still in their sin to live in His presence. But it is possible for God to command a sinful being to stand (temporarily) in His presence in order to commission him (Isaiah 6), to exact an account from him (Job 1-2), or to judge him (Revelation 20:11-15) without compromising His holiness.

God’s holiness will eventually consume all sin. Until that day, His holiness regulates sin, and that means that Satan, on certain occasions, is briefly summoned before his Creator to give an account of his actions."
KJV

United States

#7461 Dec 2, 2012
<quoted text>Good point.

I recall that citation from Pat Condell that you brought us, which says essentially the same thing, namely that the Christians can thank conscience, reason and compassion - the elements of the rational ethics in secular humanism - for their civilized censoring of their bible:

YOUR MORAL GUIDE
http://dotsub.com/view/e88246dd-b45e-4eca-8e8...

"Religious people often say that atheists have no morals because they have no moral guide. If you believe this, let me ask you something. If you're a Christian, chances are the Bible is your moral guide, but is that all the Bible, or just some of it?

"It's just the good bits, isn't it? The bits you've cherry-picked because obviously if you wanted to live in a Leviticus-style society where people are stoned or mutilated for insane and trivial reasons you could simply move to Iran.

"But how do you decide which are the good bits and which are the bad in the Bible? What do you use as a moral guide? The Bible? Well, surely not. If so, you would simply accept the bad along with the good, which is clearly what the Bible wants you to do otherwise the bad wouldn't be in there in the first place, would it?

"But no, you don't do that. You defy the Bible. You sift out the bad and discard it for the ignorant primitive barbarism it is. In short, you edit the Bible to suit your own sensibilities. So where do you get the moral guidance to impose your authority on the word of the Bible? It has to come from a higher source, doesn't it?(These things usually do.)

"And it does, of course. It comes from you. You are a higher source than the Bible, a much higher source. The criminals who run religion don't want you to know or to act upon this because then their influence over you would be zero.

"Yet the evidence is clear. You sifted the good from the bad in the Bible without the Bible's help. You did it against the Bible's will, and you did it all on your own because, whether you like it or not, you have a conscience, which means that you are capable of distinguishing good from evil without the help of scripture, and you have just proven it beyond any shadow of doubt.

"So, in fact, the Bible is not your moral guide. You are. It doesn't provide you with a moral compass. You do. And the only faith you need is faith in yourself. O happy day.”
Explain how morals came about through evolution?

"Created or Evolved?
Two men were seated next to each other as on an airliner along with each of their sons. During the flight, they became acquainted and were discussing their respective occupations. One man was an evolutionary biologist at a major university. The other was the pastor of a Baptist church. Eventually, they began to talk on the subject of origins, about which they shared few, if any, areas of agreement. Toward the end of the flight, the biologist's son began acting up and embarrassing his father. The biologist complained to the pastor about his own son's behavior and asked why his own son was behaving so poorly, whereas the pastor's son was a model of adult behavior. The pastor replied, "My son is descended from Adam, the perfect creation of God, whereas your son is descended from a monkey!"

Rich Deem

Nottingham, UK

#7462 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Question: "Does Satan still have access to Heaven? Why does God allow Satan to enter Heaven, as recorded in the Bible?"
Answer: Satan was originally one of God’s holy angels, but he rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven (Luke 10:18). That was only the first stage of his judgment. Satan’s kingdom was vanquished at the cross (John 12:31-32). Later, he will be bound in the abyss for one thousand years (Revelation 20:1-3) and then will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity (Revelation 20:10).
Until his final judgment, Satan is “the prince of this world”(John 14:30), but it seems that he still has restricted access to the heavenly realms. In Job 1:6, Satan stands in the presence of God.(See 2 Chronicles 18:18-21 for a similar situation involving a “lying spirit.”)
Since God is holy and absolutely without sin (Isaiah 6:3), and since He will not even look on evil (Habakkuk 1:13), how can Satan be in heaven? The answer involves God’s sovereign restraint of sin. In Job 1, Satan stood before God to give an account of himself. God initiated the meeting, led the proceedings, and remained in absolute control (verse 7). The result was that Satan’s power was limited (verse 12) and God was glorified.
Here are some other facts to note: 1) Satan does not have open access to God’s presence. He is summoned by God. 2) The visits are temporary. His time before God’s throne is limited. 3) In no way is the purity of heaven tainted by the brief, God-ordained presence of a sinful being,“quarantined,” as it were, by God’s regulatory power. And, 4) Satan’s access is only granted prior to the final judgment. After the judgment, God creates a new heaven and new earth (Revelation 21:1), wipes away all tears from our eyes (verse 4), reveals the New Jerusalem (verse 10), and promises the complete absence of sin (verse 27).
When we say,“God cannot allow sin into heaven,” we simply mean that God cannot allow human beings who are still in their sin to live in His presence. But it is possible for God to command a sinful being to stand (temporarily) in His presence in order to commission him (Isaiah 6), to exact an account from him (Job 1-2), or to judge him (Revelation 20:11-15) without compromising His holiness.
God’s holiness will eventually consume all sin. Until that day, His holiness regulates sin, and that means that Satan, on certain occasions, is briefly summoned before his Creator to give an account of his actions."
Here's what I said.
Khatru wrote:
As for letting sin into heaven, the Bible itself tells us that God allowed sin in.
I was right - God allowed sin into heaven.
KJV

United States

#7463 Dec 2, 2012
<quoted text>I used to like that kid.
Ya you can't like him know that he's against the filth put out by that show.
KJV

United States

#7464 Dec 2, 2012
<quoted text>I don't need to go "out there" for the answer concerning Jehovah. Your bible refutes that hypothesis right here on earth.

KJV wrote, "We know so little and we don't know so much only true arrogance would allow anyone to cement in on one possibility of how life or the universe started well know knowing 99.9% of what's out there. "

That's odd coming from somebody who makes decisions based on faith.
One can only rule things out if one has ALL the fact. You don't.
KJV

United States

#7465 Dec 2, 2012
<quoted text>Why are you still posting this misinformation? Polymath debunked it for you.
I'm quite aware that the European have had set back. The American team has not had those set backs, the American team has proven Neutrino do exist and they have detected man made Neutrino from Chicago. If all theory's of Neutrino s hold up then you would have Neutrino (matter) moving faster then light.

If all of the Neutrino theory is true.

Nottingham, UK

#7466 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya you can't like him know that he's against the filth put out by that show.
Never heard of the show.

However, what he needs to do now is to show that he's against all the filth in the Bible.

You know the stuff....

Genocide, killings, homophobia, slavery, infanticide, misogyny, incest, coprophilia, etc.

The sort of things that you'd never find in a handbook of humanist values.
KJV

United States

#7467 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>No wonder they make up such a small percent – what do they offer the world? Every time they open their mouth, all that erupts is halitosis and intestinal gasses.
LOL
KJV

United States

#7468 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Re-posting this from sometime ago:

Atheists have shorter life span.[GREAT NEWS!!!]

“The oldest group of people in the country is a community of Seventh Day Adventists residing in Loma Linda, California. They have an average life expectancy of 88 years (a full ten years longer than the U.S. average). One reason may be that Adventists don't drink or smoke, and many follow the vegetarian diet the church advises. But not all members do, and even the meat-eaters live significantly longer than average. Dr. Gary Fraser, a researcher with the Loma Linda University School of Public Health who is researching the community, told the BBC. "At this moment we don't really know, but people who go to church regularly- whatever faith they have- live longer, and there's no question about that."
http://www.createdebate.com/debate/show/Athei...

[I wonder if going to an atheist church would help improve the life expectancy of an atheist? Probably not, since the services wouldn't have any meaning.]

[No wonder atheists are calling their belief a religion for (1) IT IS, lol, and (2) they think if they are atheist religionists, they will have a longer life span. Well, that's understandable, atheists, but sorry, I don't think it works that way – you're still just a garden variey atheist - SO: make your ride on the planet as long as you can,'cause when it's over, the worms are waiting fer 'ya, and hell is gettin' bigger – LMAO.]
GREAT NEWS!!!
KJV

United States

#7469 Dec 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, it was the evidence that lead people to consider evolution in the first place. The alternatives in the early 1800's were what is now known as Creationism and another view called Catastrophism. Both were shown wrong by the fossil and geological evidence. Darwin came a bit later and proposed a *mechanism* for evolution. This was modified in the 1950's to take advantage of the knowledge of genetics that had grown since Darwin's time. Now, we are studying the detailed mechanisms of evolution at the gene level.

The point? The evidence showed 200 years ago that the Creationist view was wrong. The evidence since then has only grown to show that evolution happens and the details of how it happens. It is way, way past time for the Biblical literalists to admit they are wrong and adapt to the real world.
"The evidence showed 200 years ago that the Creationist view was wrong"

Why do you feel the need to lie?
Creationist has never been proven wrong.

Nottingham, UK

#7470 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
I suppose you're right.

Those that believe Odin created everything from the body of a giant haven't been proven wrong.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#7471 Dec 2, 2012
Yes the spambot troll who just reposts the exact same off topic unread spam needs to be reported often and timely for this and all trolling posts.

Time to flush people time to flush.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7472 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
It is no lie. The *scientific* debate about Creationism happened 200 years ago and the Creationist last because of the evidence. The *political* debate is still going on because the preachers can hoodwink a scientifically illiterate audience and make it seem that their view should be taught in schools.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#7474 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT NEWS!!!
Can you imagine how high the blood pressure is for the average atheist? All that anger and hate raises it. Ages them too, lol. Great news.

Churchgoers Have Lower Blood Pressure, Study Says

A new study is saying that people who attend and participate in church frequently are also more likely to have lower blood pressure than those who do not.

The study, "The Relationship Between Religious Attendance and Blood Pressure: The Hunt Study, was conducted by researchers from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.

It is a lot more complex of a relationship than simply going to church and your blood pressure decreasing, insists co-author Dr. Harold G. Koenig.If going to church leads you to a deeper relationship with God, as a result a deeper sense of peace and a more loving relationship with your neighbor, then it could indeed affect blood pressure.

Critics (and atheists) however aren't buying it.[They think denying it will stop it.....lol. Anger and hostility are killers.]]

http://loop21.com/life/churchgoers-have-lower...

[Repeat:If going to church leads you to a deeper relationship with God, as a result a deeper sense of peace and a more loving relationship with your neighbor, then it could indeed affect blood pressure.]

Location hidden

#7475 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
His statement isn't backed anywhere, unless he means evidence supporting the false theory of evolution, which is worthless since it was fraudulent.

Location hidden

#7476 Dec 2, 2012
Atheists, how would you like to help the British Humanist Association?

[their motto:for the one life we have]

Are you interested in getting involved? Could you spare a few hours to help the BHA?

BHA is looking for a pool of volunteers to call upon on an ad-hoc basis to help with a range of tasks in our busy office. This could include:
Putting together information packs
Photocopying
Envelope stuffing and mailings
[conducting fraudulent evolution experimentation]
[helping the staff dictate our beliefs]

Technically competent volunteers could:
Check our website and ensure that it functions well
Input data

We are looking for people who are available for a few hours or perhaps a morning or afternoon, during office hours (Monday Friday, 9.30am-5pm).
http://www.humanism.org.uk/about/vacancies

[Just this reminder: They need you to help spread the word. Just think, if you would get off your fat rumps, you could be a valuable part of this fine organization and win converts for your atheist religion.]

Location hidden

#7477 Dec 2, 2012
Atheists of Florida

Volunteer

Help Organize
Contact us to learn how to start a chapter in your community.
Monitor

Help us keep track of state/church separation issues by monitoring your own local governments. Please contact us if you become aware of religion being promoted or privileged by government entities.
http://atheistsofflorida.org/volunteer.html

[Atheists go to WORK for your cause, help the Atheists of Florida spread their meaningless message.]

[HELP THEM DICTATE YOUR BELIEFS TODAY, LIKE IN THE GREAT DAYS OF COMMUNIST RUSSIA BY:contacting us if you become aware of religion being promoted.]

Location hidden

#7478 Dec 2, 2012
Thinking of starting an Atheist "church"
Author: Bio-logical
Posted: 12/11/2009 03:55 PM

So I am unemployed right now, giving me a lot of time to ponder and to use it basically whatever way I see fit. This has given me an idea that I would like to put into action, and I was hoping for help if anybody has any ideas or possibly to just spread the idea abroad.

I want to start an atheist "church". Not a church in the idea of getting together and praying, but instead focusing on the good things that churches accomplish:

volunteer work
helping the poor
mission work (spreading education without a religious subtext)
gathering and maintaining resources and information to help people
counseling for the community
Sunday school (or something similar that teaches children logic and encourages free inquiry)
Social events
Potentially a private school someday

So... What do you think?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/pda/thr...

[Is this really a new idea -starting an atheist church? NO (duh)- this guy is way behind the times......atheist churches certainly aren't NEW.......I've already posted links for a bunch of atheist churches they're everywhere.]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Dave Nelson 229,906
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Reason Personified 1,007
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr I can read 22,981
Islam for peace, or violence? 10 hr Thinking 26
Man center of the universe. 13 hr Thinking 85
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE