Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#7438 Dec 2, 2012
IN THE BEGINNING ...

God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 1:1
“The opening statement of Scripture boldly and plainly declares the reality of a transcendant, intelligent, personal Creator who made the universe. As science probes into the mysteries of time, space, matter, energy, and life, we are getting a deeper glimpse of the intricacy and complexity of design in every aspect of the observable universe. The notion that random processes were responsible for the origin is being shown as laughably absurd. All the molecules in the "primeval soup" of Earth's oceans, randomly linking with each other in every possible combination, even hundreds of times per second, for all the time since even the oldest hypothetical age of the Earth, would not be sufficient to assemble the staggeringly complex genetic material carried in even the simplest of single-celled creatures. There had to be a Designer.

Furthermore, so many aspects of our universe appear to be "anthropocentric"; in other words, just right for the existence of mankind. For instance, if the Earth's orbit were slightly closer to the sun or slightly futher from it, the climate change would be disastrous to human life. If gravity or background radiation or sunlight or any of hundreds of other parameters were slightly different, the existence of man would be impossible. Coincidence? Hardly! There is a wise Creator who delicately balanced and set in motion the finely crafted mechanism of our universe with the intent of placing man in dominion over His creation.”
http://www.fillthevoid.org/Creation/Creation....

Location hidden

#7439 Dec 2, 2012
From WebMD:

Spirituality May Help People Live Longer
Discover why some believe that older people who regularly attend religious services appear to have better health.

Why do older people who regularly attend religious services appear to live longer and have better health? Is it something about the type of people they are? Or is it something related to their visits to churches or synagogues -- perhaps increased contact with other people?

A growing body of research is beginning to define the complex connections between religious and spiritual beliefs and practices and an individual's physical and psychological health. No one says it's as simple as going to services or "finding religion" later in life. It may be that people who are more involved in religious activities or are personally more spiritual are doing something that makes them feel better emotionally and helps them live longer and more healthily. The question, researchers say, is what exactly are they doing?

... continued:

Go to Church, Live Longer

Among the most recent findings in this area: People who attend religious services at least once a week are less likely to die in a given period of time than people who attend services less often.

continued:

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/spiritu...

[So Christians are wasting their Sundays in church???]

Location hidden

#7440 Dec 2, 2012
Re-posting this from sometime ago:

Atheists have shorter life span.[GREAT NEWS!!!]

“The oldest group of people in the country is a community of Seventh Day Adventists residing in Loma Linda, California. They have an average life expectancy of 88 years (a full ten years longer than the U.S. average). One reason may be that Adventists don't drink or smoke, and many follow the vegetarian diet the church advises. But not all members do, and even the meat-eaters live significantly longer than average. Dr. Gary Fraser, a researcher with the Loma Linda University School of Public Health who is researching the community, told the BBC. "At this moment we don't really know, but people who go to church regularly- whatever faith they have- live longer, and there's no question about that."
http://www.createdebate.com/debate/show/Athei...

[I wonder if going to an atheist church would help improve the life expectancy of an atheist? Probably not, since the services wouldn't have any meaning.]

[No wonder atheists are calling their belief a religion for (1) IT IS, lol, and (2) they think if they are atheist religionists, they will have a longer life span. Well, that's understandable, atheists, but sorry, I don't think it works that way – you're still just a garden variey atheist - SO: make your ride on the planet as long as you can,'cause when it's over, the worms are waiting fer 'ya, and hell is gettin' bigger – LMAO.]

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7441 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Re-posting this from sometime ago:
Atheists have shorter life span.[GREAT NEWS!!!]
Immoral judgemental creationist scumbag.

Location hidden

#7442 Dec 2, 2012
Just a note to the atheist judge or judges:

Please grade my new posts with bad marks this morning. It always makes my day to see them.

Put any kind of marks you like (as long as they're negative)- maybe some spam marks, disagree marks, nutty marks, clueless marks, okey dokey?

Any time I see your negative judgments,it reassures me I'm doing fine - love it, and my heartfelt thanks to you fine judges!!!

LMAO

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7443 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Just a note to the atheist judge or judges:
Please grade my new posts with bad marks this morning. It always makes my day to see them.
Put any kind of marks you like (as long as they're negative)- maybe some spam marks, disagree marks, nutty marks, clueless marks, okey dokey?
Any time I see your negative judgments,it reassures me I'm doing fine - love it, and my heartfelt thanks to you fine judges!!!
LMAO
Liar with no proof of god, lying about atheists and science to further his failed cult.

Location hidden

#7444 Dec 2, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Immoral judgemental scumbag.
Yep, that's what you are. LOL

Always love your comments.......thanks. Stay with us, what would we do without you?

(oh, well, we may have to get used to your absence over time, since your life span will be shorter than most people.)

Location hidden

#7445 Dec 2, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar with no proof of god, lying about atheists and science to further his failed cult.
Hey, best friend - I just now judged your post "brilliant" "interesting" and "helpful", even though it isn't. LMAO

But what the heck - who cares, it was a cheap thrill, and I want you to have a great big bright spot in your godless day.

Hell is warming up fer 'ya.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7446 Dec 2, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And even though it was an honest mistake made in good faith, the leaders apparently felt that they had to fall on their swords:
"Faster-Than-Light' Neutrino Team Leaders Resign"
http://news.discovery.com/space/opera-leaders...
If only the religious had the same culture of truth.
That's why science beats religion on any day of the week.

Scientist: "The induced electromotive force in any closed circuit is equal to the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit."

Dim: "WTF do you know? You're just a scientist. Let's see what the Bible says".

Nottingham, UK

#7447 Dec 2, 2012
Edited from http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :
<quoted text>
Strongly disagree.
Religion is damaging to the religious. Look at the guilt and fear in them. Look at how scientifically illiterate many are. How do you compete in a technological society like that?
Look at how badly damaged Dim is. Did his religion not do that to him, or contribute significantly to that outcome?
And above a critical density, religiosity damages the culture and the rest of society as well. Look at the damage it does to America's scientific competitiveness. Look at the scapegoating of gays and atheists, both driven into closets, both having more difficult and dangerous lives because of it.
What does religion offer to offset that burden that can't be gotten without it? Nothing:
“There’s no good thing that a church or religion does that cannot be achieved by a purely secular means. And there is no positive benefit of churches and religions that necessarily demonstrates the truth of their supernatural claims.”– Matt Dillahunty.
According to Dim's religion, sickness and disease were caused by demons and medicines produced by men would not provide a cure.

If you fell sick, you didn't get to see a doctor, instead you got a priest with his ju-ju of bones and holy water.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7448 Dec 2, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they found their errors and admitted they found the goof. And went back to work.
Evolutionist need to take a page from this. Evolution has never been proven (macro evolution) that is.
On the contrary, it was the evidence that lead people to consider evolution in the first place. The alternatives in the early 1800's were what is now known as Creationism and another view called Catastrophism. Both were shown wrong by the fossil and geological evidence. Darwin came a bit later and proposed a *mechanism* for evolution. This was modified in the 1950's to take advantage of the knowledge of genetics that had grown since Darwin's time. Now, we are studying the detailed mechanisms of evolution at the gene level.

The point? The evidence showed 200 years ago that the Creationist view was wrong. The evidence since then has only grown to show that evolution happens and the details of how it happens. It is way, way past time for the Biblical literalists to admit they are wrong and adapt to the real world.

Nottingham, UK

#7449 Dec 2, 2012
<quoted text>
Here's another stealth Christian from Dim.
<quoted text>
What need? It's a service. Religion needs denigrating. And to you religious folks, denigrating means "putting down."
<quoted text>
Sorry, Dim, but what you have here is a stealth Christian. Hate is a Christian value. You people come by it honestly.
THE HATREDS OF JEHOVAH
[1] Deuteronomy 12:31 - "... they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates."
[2] Deuteronomy 16:22 - "and do not erect a sacred stone, for these the LORD your God hates."
[3] Psalm 11:5 - "The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion."
[4] Proverbs 6:16 - "There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him"
[5] Ecclesiastes 3:8 - "a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."
[6] Amos 5:21 -“I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me."
[7] Zechariah 8:17 - "do not plot evil against each other, and do not love to swear falsely. I hate all this,” declares the LORD."
[8] Luke 14:26 -“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.
[9] Romans 9:13 - "Just as it is written:“Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
Such seething hatred, which xtians will no doubt interpret as transcendent love. Of course, you're hardly scratching the surface here and the murderous hatred of Jehovah is found throughout the Bible.

I wonder what xtians would think if humanist manifestos contained instructions to hate and kill people.

Nottingham, UK

#7450 Dec 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, it was the evidence that lead people to consider evolution in the first place. The alternatives in the early 1800's were what is now known as Creationism and another view called Catastrophism. Both were shown wrong by the fossil and geological evidence. Darwin came a bit later and proposed a *mechanism* for evolution. This was modified in the 1950's to take advantage of the knowledge of genetics that had grown since Darwin's time. Now, we are studying the detailed mechanisms of evolution at the gene level.
The point? The evidence showed 200 years ago that the Creationist view was wrong. The evidence since then has only grown to show that evolution happens and the details of how it happens. It is way, way past time for the Biblical literalists to admit they are wrong and adapt to the real world.
The trouble that Dim, KJV, etc, have got is that their creationist doctrine only works for them when it's their god that's doing the creating.

Their belief falls apart if they start accepting that the creator was Brahma or perhaps the Great Dreamtime Snake of the Australian Aborigines.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#7451 Dec 2, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
All religions are cults and all cults thrive on misinformation and fear. If an honest believer were to look outside of their religious teachings and learn about the real world, they would become what they were born in the first place - atheist again.
We were all born atheists. Some were captured by the church and became Christians. Some of those managed to tunnel out of that cocoon and rescue themselves. They are the truly born again.

Fennario

#7452 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Just think, they spend all that time composing, and they're the only ones reading it.
And just think, Dim - you haven't spent even a minute composing an original thought yet, and you brag that you haven't read a thing that doesn't already agree with your biases.

Somehow, you are proud of these distinctions. So am I.

Fennario

#7453 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
how do we determine what actions are morally right and morally wrong? We discern this on the basis of a moral law: a universal sense that certain states of affairs are right and others are wrong.
Incorrect. We employ rational ethics, which combine reason and compassion to set goals and attempt to achieve them. Here's how we do it in more detail:

People decide how they would like to live. Most want to be happy as they understand it, which means that they want what it takes to achieve that state. They want to feel safe, to have enough, to feel loved, to express themselves, and to have the opportunity to pursue those things that make them happy, and to experience self-respect and the respect of others.

That means having leisure time, good health, sufficient means, the wisdom to pursue worthy the goals, and the skills to achieve them. We've learned from our own lives and from reading about the past that most of us want those things.

So how do we get it? By being rational and compassionate. No universal values exist to be plucked out the air, so we need to determine them ourselves. We decide which values embody those goals - kindness, tolerance, freedom, peace, integrity, etc - and we attempt to create rules that embody them. Some of these rules are laws, such as 'don't kill or steal' and some are customs and traditions, such as sharing and cheerfulness.

To the extent that we fail to achieve our goals, whether because of choosing wrong goal or method, we tweak our process and see if we have improved total happiness or not. This is the empirical aspect of the process. It provides the evidence that we are right here or wrong there.

Prohibition of alcohol is a good illustration. The intentions were good, but the goal of criminalizing alcohol turned out to be paradoxically counterproductive, and actually increased the misery in the world. So, using reason and compassion, prohibition was lifted. If only rationalists had access to the drug policy.

It's not surprising that you Christians cannot understand this. To those of us that have had to come to our moral positions over a lifetime of rational thought and compassion, it's quite clear how this is done.

But if someone has been involved in religion all of his life, he could no more understand this than a young boy could understand why his daddy kisses girls or would want to support one.

Fennario

#7454 Dec 2, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"For example, no one could seriously argue with the statement that it is better to love a child than to torture it. The point is that there is an innate, universal sense of right and wrong within all of us.
Actually, rational ethicists had to teach you to ignore your bibles and to stop stoning your sassy children to death, and to stop selling them into slavery as well:

[1] "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... then shall his father and his mother ... shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die" - Deuteronomy 21:18-21

[2] "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are" - Exodus 21:7

I guess these "universal truths" aren't as universal as you thought. Apparently Jehovah didn't know them.
KJV

United States

#7455 Dec 2, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>The next time you are ill make certain to use only treatment produced by creation "science" else you are a hypocrite.
"Tipped off by a Reuters wire story, Science magazine reported last week that OPERA spokesperson Antonio Ereditato and experimental coordinator Dario Autiero have announced their resignations, following a controversial vote of "no confidence" from the collaboration’s other leaders."

LOL

Honest mistake? When why the no confidence vote?
KJV

United States

#7456 Dec 2, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, stop quote mining, you skipped the rest of what was written by Darwin in a lazy lie, often repeated by creatards like you. Include the rest of it, if you don't, then you are just lying. So stop lying.
What lie is this?

Wikipedia

"Charles Darwin had a non-conformist background, but attended a Church of England school.[1] With the aim of becoming a clergyman he went to the University of Cambridge for the required BA degree, which included studies of Anglican theology. He took great interest in natural history and became filled with zeal for science as defined by John Herschel, based on the natural theology of William Paley which presented the argument from divine design in nature to explain adaptation as God acting through laws of nature"

Nottingham, UK

#7457 Dec 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
It is way, way past time for the Biblical literalists to admit they are wrong and adapt to the real world.
Wise words which I fear are lost on the Dim crowd.

They're in with the Dim crowd (da da da )
They go where the Dim crowd goes....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min I B Eagle 228,600
Is Religion Childish? 18 min nOgOd 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Eman 22,934
Heaven 3 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Patrick 5,938
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr _Bad Company 724
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr _Bad Company 1,023

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE