Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7243 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I never heard of that thanks for sharing.
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/scienceno...

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/11125516...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7244 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Moved into town?
That's a big ouch!
Although living closer then I do right now would not be so bad. 30 miles to the closest gas station, going out to eat once in awhile doesn't happen.
But moving into town?
I hope you travel a lot then.
City living is definitely a major mind shift from working a small horse ranch out in the middle of nowhere, but I've lived in big cities before. Spent the last 12 years breeding and training Paso Finos, it was time for a change.

And city life is fun once you get your head in the right frame of reference!

Like I said, out dance options are excellent. Wednesday night salsa & bachata ... Friday & Saturday local live jazz at any number of venues with cha-cha, rumba, jitterbug, etc. All within our "stagger zone" (the zone where it's easy to stagger home without needing to drive).

We even walk to the grocery store and have a subway line less than a block away. Sold all my cars & trucks but 1 and hardly ever even need that.
KJV

United States

#7245 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
I wasn't trying to claim you wrong I was just stating I hadn't heard it. Just making sure you didn't miss understand me.
Thanks for sharing the links.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#7246 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
Getting a bit PO'ed?
No, just very disappointed. I had hoped for a better relationship with you.

Fennario

#7247 Nov 29, 2012
Adam wrote:
Thinkiong out loud. But the other day, perhaps I was a bit hard with a comment here. But then again, are these fundies real Christians TM. I tend to think some of them, Christians and Muslims on topix, spread a hate agenda, so should I feel guilty. I guess not.
Guilty? For what? A reality check?
KJV

United States

#7248 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
Those are the European set. the Chicago, Sudan Minnesota has detected neutrino sent from Chicago and detected in Minnesota. And as theorized the neutrino did so called changed flavors some where between Chicago and Minnesota.

I never heard of any errors on the Minnesota's detector.

Fennario

#7249 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ramble On,
Now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song.
I'm goin''round the world, I got to find my girl, on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.
And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to Ramble On.
A good old song.
KJV

United States

#7250 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>City living is definitely a major mind shift from working a small horse ranch out in the middle of nowhere, but I've lived in big cities before. Spent the last 12 years breeding and training Paso Finos, it was time for a change.

And city life is fun once you get your head in the right frame of reference!

Like I said, out dance options are excellent. Wednesday night salsa & bachata ... Friday & Saturday local live jazz at any number of venues with cha-cha, rumba, jitterbug, etc. All within our "stagger zone" (the zone where it's easy to stagger home without needing to drive).

We even walk to the grocery store and have a subway line less than a block away. Sold all my cars & trucks but 1 and hardly ever even need that.
So your not just in a big city you're now in a really big city. Yes lots to do and lots to see. I could spend months in New York tons to see and do.

Fennario

#7251 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
Ah come on you've said far worse.
No, I haven't. I don't launch gratuitous character attacks. Twice now you've alluded to fraud and hiding from the law. Mission accomplished.
KJV wrote:
The door was left wide open on the post before I couldn't help myself.
Twice?

Don't worry about it. It sounds like it was inevitable.

Fennario

#7252 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"This is extremely shocking: CERN scientists using a 1300-ton particle detector have measured particles travelling faster than the speed of light. If confirmed, this discovery could invalidate Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity and revolutionize physics.
Einstein's theory says that there's nothing in the universe that could travel faster than light. Now, CERN scientists believe this may be wrong according to their latest experiment.
The 3-year experiment timed about 16,000 neutrino packets launched from CERN facilities in Geneva, travelling through Earth and arriving 2.43 milliseconds later to the subterranean facilities of Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory. There, the Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (the OPERA particle detector) recorded the hits."
You're out of date on this one. You might try a little fact checking some time.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#7253 Nov 29, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent several years as a Christian, so know do know first hand how delusional and silly THAT religion is.
Its very rare that people will not think OTHER religions, except their own, are crazy. Its easy to see other religions as false.
The only rational position is to say that ALL religions are man made and false. Because that is where the evidence leads us. i.e. to either Atheism or Agnosticism.
Haven't we had this same exchange before?

You are disillusioned with Christianity for whatever reason, so you think that serves as evidence against it? LMAO - nope........where did you get that idea?

And there is nothing carved in stone proving evolution – it's just a theory, surrounded by much objection and questionable science.

Fennario

#7254 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
God inspires elderly Christian lady to paint the true likeness of Jesus....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/08/...
Pretty friggin' funny. The Lord was surely guiding her hand.

O holy!

Location hidden

#7255 Nov 29, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats actually for once quite an interesting post. Hardcore christians are nauseating. Just look at topix!!!
When I look at topix, I see nauseating atheists. Guess it depends on your perspective.

Location hidden

#7256 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It's got everything to do with it, Dim.
But then I don't expect you to admit it.
You're whining again because you got caught, lol. And your mistake upset you so much that you even posted more later on about it, to try to cover yourself. I'll just reply to this one.

You're so predictable – there's nothing original about you. And I could have almost guessed the exact words you would use, and I knew for sure you would respond to that post. You fool no one, but you are indeed a fool, with egg all over your horrid face.

“You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?”

LMAO

Location hidden

#7257 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Cuvier was not aware of Darwin's findings. Cuvier died in 1832. Darwin's voyage on the Beagle didn't start until the last part of 1831. Also, as you point out, Darwin did not publish his ideas until 1859, and that was because someone else had proposed very similar ideas and Darwin wanted credit for the (larger) amount of work he did on the process of natural selection.
yes, Lamarck's ideas were shown to be wrong, but that is a matter of mechanism for evolution, not a question of whether it occurred. Do you have *anyone* with a biology background from after 1900 that does not support evolution?
As to the first part you wrote, I already addressed it correctly, so this will not be readdressed.

As to the last part you wrote: So only those with biology backgrounds can deny evolution? Then all atheists have biology backgrounds?

All scientists who dispute evolution must be biologists?

Are you a biological scientist? If not, then you're not qualified to have an opinion.

So you're saying every biological scientist on the planet supports the theory of evolution. I didn't see your link supporting that.

Besides - scientists in other specialties aren't qualified to accept evolution or deny it?

All doctors who prescribe medications for skin diseases must be dermatologists?

All people who know math must be algebra teachers?

LMAO

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~do_while/sage/v5...

[Do you know how to google your questions? Spend time, do your research; don't be the typical lazy atheist or agnostic.]

Location hidden

#7258 Nov 29, 2012
“Louis Pasteur (1822 - 1895), the father of antibiotics was a godly Catholic; Gregor Mendel (1822-!884), the discoverer of genes was a Catholic creationist; Joseph Lister (1827 - 1912), the father of antiseptics was a devout Quaker; Michael Faraday (1791 - 1857), discoverer of electromagnetic induction was a Sandemanian Presbyterian; George Washington Carver (1864 - 1963), a famous black scientist, and one of the greatest botanists and inventors to ever live was a god-worshipping Christian; Wernher von Braun (1912 - 1977), the father of rocket science was a Christian and a Creationist; Max Planck (1858 - 1947), a great physicist, was a Christian who firmly believed that God permeated everything; Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) was a God- believing Jew who also loved the New Testament; Antoine Henri Becquerel (1852 – 1908), the discoverer of radioactivity was a Catholic; and tens of thousands of other contributors to science and technology believed in God. Where would technology be today if it were not for Louis Pasteur, Gregor Mendel, Joseph Lister, George Washington Carver, Werner von Braun, Max Planck, Albert Einstein and thousands of other famous Intelligent Design - believing scientists and their religious beliefs? If these scientists had been taught evolution and atheism in our public schools, what would have happened to their intense belief in an Intelligent Designer that caused them to inquire how things work?”
http://www.intelligentdesigntheory.info/famou...

Location hidden

#7259 Nov 29, 2012
Arthur Holly Compton quote:

“It is not difficult for me to have this faith, for it is incontrovertible that where there is a plan there is intelligence - an orderly, unfolding universe testifies to the truth of the most majestic statement ever uttered -'In the beginning, God.'”

http://www.famousquotes.com/author/arthur-hol...

[Wikipedia: Compton (September 10, 1892 – March 15, 1962) was an American physicist and Nobel laureate in physics for his discovery of the Compton effect.]

[Arthur Holly Compton was born at Wooster, Ohio, on September 10th, 1892, the son of Elias Compton, Professor of Philosophy and Dean of the College of Wooster. He was educated at the College, graduating Bachelor of Science in 1913, and he spent three years in postgraduate study at Princeton University receiving his M.A. degree in 1914 and his Ph.D. in 1916. After spending a year as instructor of physics at the University of Minnesota, he took a position as a research engineer with the Westinghouse Lamp Company at Pittsburgh until 1919 when he studied at Cambridge University as a National Research Council Fellow. In 1920, he was appointed Wayman Crow Professor of Physics, and Head of the Department of Physics at the Washington University, St. Louis; and in 1923 he moved to the University of Chicago as Professor of Physics. Compton returned to St. Louis as Chancellor in 1945 and from 1954 until his retirement in 1961 he was Distinguished Service Professor of Natural Philosophy at the Washington University.]

[Poor, uneducated, ignorant believer in myths? Nope, not hardly!!!]

[“... the most majestic statement ever uttered -'In the beginning, God.'”]

Location hidden

#7260 Nov 29, 2012
Great scientists from the past

C.S. Lewis showed the very strong connection between the development of modern scientific thought and the belief the scientists held in a Creator (Lawgiver).“Men become scientific because they expected law in nature and they expected law in nature because they believed in a lawgiver.”1

"Overwhelming strong proofs of intelligent and benevolent design lie around us ... the atheistic idea is so non-sensical that I cannot put it into words." (Lord Kelvin)

"I am a Christian ... I believe only and alone ... in the service of Jesus Christ ... In Him is all refuge, all solace." (Johannes Kepler)

"The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Science brings men nearer to God." (Louis Pasteur). Pasteur strongly opposed Darwin's theory of evolution because he felt it did not conform to the scientific evidence.

Robert Boyle believed in Jesus Christ's "Passion, His death, His resurrection and ascension, and all of those wonderful works which He did during His stay upon earth, in order to confirm the belief of His being God as well as man."

"Order is manifestly maintained in the universe … the whole being governed by the sovereign will of God." (James Prescott Joule)

"There are those who argue that the universe evolved out a random process, but what random process could produce the brain of man or the system of the human eye?" (Werhner Von Braun)

"Almighty Creator and Preserver of all things, praised be all Thou has created." (Carl Linnaeus)

"I am a believer in the fundamental doctrines of Christianity." (Sir Joseph Lister)

"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance." "The true God is a living, intelligent and powerful being." (Sir Isaac Newton)

Michael Faraday was careful to "Thank God, first, for all His gifts."

... continued -- includes present day scientists here:
http://www.changinglivesonline.org/component/...

Location hidden

#7261 Nov 29, 2012
Biblical Theory Of Evolution

Isaac Newton, Johann Kepler, Blasie Pascal, Galileo, Michael Faraday, Samuel Morse, George Washington Carver, Gregor Mendel and Louis Pasteur were all scientists who believed in the Biblical Theory of Evolution. I am writing about the Biblical Theory of Evolution because I grew up hearing this theory and I have always wondered exactly what it was and what it all meant. This paper is meant to explain the Biblical Theory of Evolution. The Biblical Theory of Evolution begins with the first book of the bible. The following is what the bible says about creation according to Genesis 1.

"(1) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

continued, and gets very interesting here:
http://promptpapers.com/research-paper-topics...

[“Isaac Newton, Johann Kepler, Blasie Pascal, Galileo, Michael Faraday, Samuel Morse, George Washington Carver, Gregor Mendel and Louis Pasteur were all scientists who believed in the Biblical Theory of Evolution.” And there are many other scientists, as well, who do not accept the godless theory of Darwin.]

Location hidden

#7262 Nov 29, 2012
Science's Rejection of Evolution

To say that evolution is the easiest thing to prove is a statement beyond reason and a product of blind faith.

Many will say that “all major scientists support evolution.” The fact is there are many scientists who believe in the biblical account. Here is just a small sample: Joseph Lister, antiseptic surgery; Louis Pasteur, bacteriology; Sir Isaac Newton, dynamics (discovered the laws of gravity, mathematics, co-discovered calculus); Johann Kepler, celestial mechanics, physical astronomy; Robert Boyle, chemistry; Georges Cuvier, comparative anatomy, vertebrate paleontology; Charles Babbage, computer science; James Clerk Maxwell, electrodynamics, statistical thermodynamics; Michael Faraday, electromagnetics, field theory; Ambrose Fleming, electronics; Lord William Kelvin, energetics, thermodynamics; Henri Fabre, entomology; George Stokes, fluid mechanics; William Herschel, galactic astronomy; Robert Boyle, gas dynamics; Gregor Mendel, genetics; Louis Agassiz, glacial geology, ichthyology; James Simpson, gynecology; Leonardo da Vinci, hydraulics; Blaise Pascal, hydrostatics; William Ramsay, isotopic chemistry; Matthew Maury, oceanography; David Brewster, optical mineralogy; John Woodward, paleontology; Rudolph Virchow, pathology; James Joule, reversible thermodynamics; Sir Francis Bacon, scientific method; Nicholas Steno, stratigraphy; Carolus Linnaeus, systematic biology; and Humphrey Davy, thermokinetics.”

continued:

“P. Lemoine, president of the Geological Society of France, editor of the Encyclopedie Francaise and director of the Natural History Museum in Paris, concluded:

“The theories of evolution, with which our studious youth have been deceived, constitute actually a dogma that all the world continues to teach: but each, in his specialty, the zoologist or the botanist, ascertains that none of the explanations furnished is adequate.... It results from the summary, that the theory of evolution, is impossible.”

Dr. Wernher von Braun, father of America's space program, in a Sept. 14, 1972, letter to the California Board of Education, said,“For me, the idea of a creation is not conceivable without invoking the necessity of design. One cannot be exposed to the law and order of the universe without concluding that there must be design and purpose behind it all. In the world around us, we can behold the obvious manifestations of an ordered, structured plan or design. We can see the will of the species to live and propagate. And we are humbled by the powerful forces at work on a galactic scale, and the purposeful orderliness of nature that endows a tiny and ungainly seed with the ability to develop into a beautiful flower. The better we understand the intricacies of the universe and all it harbors, the more reason we have found to marvel at the inherent design upon which it is based.”

continued:

“Newsweek magazine, in a 1998 cover story entitled “Science Finds God,” noted:“According to a study released last year, 40 percent of American scientists believe in a personal God - not merely an ineffable power and presence in the world, but a deity to whom they can pray.”

In 1959, Dr. T.N. Tahmisian, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, was even more blunt:“Scientists who go about teaching that evolution is a fact of life are great con-men, and the story they are telling may be the greatest hoax ever. In explaining evolution, we do not have one iota of fact.”

... Darwinian evolution is not science; it is the only tax-supported religion in the USA.”
http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/S...

[“... the theory of evolution, is impossible.”]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist group in Kenya tests boundaries of reli... 2 min thetruth 22
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 3 min superwilly 164
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 min thetruth 3,676
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 min thetruth 4,461
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 7 min thetruth 133
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Ronnie 33,945
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 8 min thetruth 51
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 34 min DanFromSmithville 14,813
More from around the web