Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#7225 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>None of the dark matter is light. As to whether you want to call it matter or not is a question of definitions. What is your definition of matter?

[QUOTE]Dark matter attracts and works on an individual bases while Dark matter repels but only seems to work as a whole (entire universe all at once) entity"

Once again, this is wrong. Dark matter attracts, dark energy repels.

[QUOTE]Sudan does deal in some dark energy experiment. And I was told was expanding to run 2 or 3 labs for dark energy.
"

Most of the proposals I have seen for dark energy have been astronomical--attempting to map out distribution, etc. Since they don't have any proposals (that I have seen) for what dark energy is made from, it seems strange for Soudan to be doing dark energy. On the other hand, I know it has been doing dark *matter* probes for a while.
I heard they were in the running for those labs I don't know if the site has been picket yet. South Dakota was also in the running.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#7226 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are objecting to information I posted from Wikipedia.
Just a reminder to everyone in the forum: if you object to information found in internet sources, you may address your concerns to the web page publisher. I have no interest in your opinions on web content.
I have no idea who you are, your credentials, or rather, lack thereof, so I rely on Wikipedia and other sources I link to as being more authoritative, lol.
You are astoundingly stupid. Wikipedia does not support the argument you are trying to make. It says that *creationists* have asserted that there is a controversy, not that there actually is a controversy. As in, actual scientists have no problem with the TOE, but the idiots who have a vested interest in falsifying it, unsurprisingly, object to it.

Also, by linking to a site, you are implying that you agree with the information contained on the site. You're mistaken to think that you can absolve yourself of any blame for posting falsehoods and misrepresentations by pointing your finger, so to speak.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#7227 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are possibilities that some aspects of quantum gravity will show up at the LHC, but the main energy levels for QG are way beyond what we can do now with our technology. The LHC is operating at about 7000 GeV and quantum gravity kicks in at about 10^19 GeV.
Wow! We've got a long way to go before we can get anywhere near being able to measure QG.

And to think that it's all in the Bible.

Watford, UK

#7228 Nov 29, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do.
Lol

I knew you'd get it!

Watford, UK

#7229 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ramble On,
Now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song.
I'm goin''round the world, I got to find my girl, on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.
And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to Ramble On.
Rewind to Manila 1969 and I was just starting secondary school when Led Zeppelin II hit my world in a big way.
KJV

United States

#7230 Nov 29, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>To be honest, I dont have the answers. All I have figured out is Christianity has the wrong answers.

When you look at things rationally, we dont know a great deal. But the scientific models best fit the reality.
You don't know how but you do know how not? Is that correct?

You don't know how the universe started but you have done enough investigation to know how it could not have happened?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#7231 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know how but you do know how not? Is that correct?
You don't know how the universe started but you have done enough investigation to know how it could not have happened?
A magical *poof* by an invisible supernatural sky being isn't an answer for anything. In fact, it's the opposite of an answer.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#7232 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Rewind to Manila 1969 and I was just starting secondary school when Led Zeppelin II hit my world in a big way.
And I was starting 10th grade in South Carolina. My band throughout high school & college was Jethro Tull (from 'This Was' up to 'Songs from the Wood')... saw them live 4 times.

Watford, UK

#7233 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
""This (Angular Momentum) would have caused the Sun to spin very rapidly. Actually, our Sun spins very slowly, while the planets move very rapidly around the Sun. In fact, although the Sun has over 99% of the mass of the solar system, it has only 2% of the angular momentum. This pattern is directly opposite to the pattern predicted for the nebular hypothesis." Quoted from Dr. H. Reeves "The Origin of the Solar System", in "The Origin of the Solar System", Dermott, S.F. Ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York p. 9, 1978."
I have no doubt that whatever explanation science provides us with, it won't have anything to do with magic.
KJV

United States

#7234 Nov 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You have to be dishonest to make your religion look good, it's all you have, lies and half truths just to make people think you aren't as horrible as you really are.
Look who's talking about honesty.
You can't even be honest about your own body.

Watford, UK

#7235 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And I was starting 10th grade in South Carolina. My band throughout high school & college was Jethro Tull (from 'This Was' up to 'Songs from the Wood')... saw them live 4 times.
What a great band - they were a class act!

I think "Stand Up" is my personal favourite Tull album. I still have my vinyl copy with the pop-up interior.
KJV

United States

#7236 Nov 29, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>But you entered it anyway.

polymath257 wrote, " Both contributed. Planck was first, but Einstein did more substantial work. But it was really Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrodinger that made the quantum thoery."

I think that I've already acknowledged that.

I just don't know why we are still discussing the history of quantum physics. Did you notice that the phrase in dispute was "the father of modern physics," not the father of quantum theory?

I think of modern physics as being principally two great edifices, one subatomic, one cosmological. They overlap at times close to T=0.

It seems to me that you are discussing only quantum theory, in which case, yes, Planck, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Pauli, Dirac, de Broglie, and others share credit, and it might be difficult to pick just one out.

But if you widen the umbrella to include relativity, a major component of modern physics, there's little argument about who is the dominant figure - since you don't like the term "father."

In any event, my criticism was of the poor quality of scholarship in the material that Dim fetches for us. He wanted to praise Planck because of some theistic comments that he had made, and promoted him to the father of modern physics, at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :

"Max Planck is universally recognized as the father of modern physics"

I rejected that. I still do.
MAX PLANCK – NOBEL LAUREATE IN PHYSICS

Nobel Prize: Max Planck (1858–1947) won the 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics “for his work on the establishment and development of the theory of elementary quanta.” Max Planck is universally recognized as the father of modern physics; he formulated one of the most important physical theories of the 20th century – Quantum Theory. He also contributed to the progress of the Theory of Relativity and the study of electromagnetic radiation. Planck is a founder of quantum mechanics.
Nationality: German
Education: Ph.D. in physics, University of Munich, Germany, 1879 (at the age of 21)
Occupation: Professor of Physics at the Universities of Munich, Kiel, and Berlin

♦♦♦

http://2012daily.com/...
KJV

United States

#7237 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Ramble On,

Now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song.
I'm goin''round the world, I got to find my girl, on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.
And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to Ramble On.
You've been gone awhile. I hope you're ok.

"My hat don't hang on the same nail too long"
KJV

United States

#7238 Nov 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So, why do you assert this?
You don't need to know.
KJV

United States

#7239 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And it was *not* confirmed. One of the detectors had a loop in it that messed up the timings. CERN has retracted its claims.
Really? I never heard of that thanks for sharing.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#7240 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"My hat don't hang on the same nail too long"
Mine neither! I can't do the same thing for too many years. I've lived all over the U.S. and am currently beginning my 2nd retirement.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for noticing!

Sold the horse ranch and moved to the city. Been getting involved with city urban redesign planning. And my wife and I have been enjoying being able to walk to all the local dance clubs -- we like rumba, cha-cha, jitterbug, and stuff like that!

I've committed to some long term civic volunteer stuff, so I'll be in and out of Topix sporadically.
KJV

United States

#7241 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Ho hum

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Here's what he says about Noah's Ark...

Langoliers wrote, "
"The ark was not a mono-hull galleon, it was an array of small flat-bottom pontoons roped together. Large modern river barges are also assembled from dozens of small barges chained together."
http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/faq.htm" ;

Check out your buddy's link to read more about what he believes:

"Was there a global flood?

No. The flood of Noah was a Euphrates River flood in southern Sumer similar to the flood of 1954 in southern Iraq. The "earth" in Genesis 7:17-18 refers to the ground/land in the flooded region, not the entire planet."

"Did everybody drown in the flood except Noah and his family? Are all the people of of the world descended from Noah?

No. Everybody did not drown. Hundreds, possibly thousands of Sumerians drowned in the flooded area, but there were many thousands of survivors of Noah's river flood, even in his own city, and especially in distant lands not affected by the flood."

Looks like I know your buddy better than you do.

Don't you ever get fed up being wrong?

ROFLMAO!!!!
LMAO

He didn't post that part of the page he was quoting strictly the arks haul type.
Raising another possibility of how the ship was built. Quoting science views on a way the ark could have been made does not mean one agrees with all that was written by that same person. He did not even commit to backing that the haul type was the type stated we just raised it as a possibility.
KJV

United States

#7242 Nov 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Mine neither! I can't do the same thing for too many years. I've lived all over the U.S. and am currently beginning my 2nd retirement.

KJV wrote, "<quoted text>
"

Thanks for noticing!

Sold the horse ranch and moved to the city. Been getting involved with city urban redesign planning. And my wife and I have been enjoying being able to walk to all the local dance clubs -- we like rumba, cha-cha, jitterbug, and stuff like that!

I've committed to some long term civic volunteer stuff, so I'll be in and out of Topix sporadically.
Moved into town?
That's a big ouch!
Although living closer then I do right now would not be so bad. 30 miles to the closest gas station, going out to eat once in awhile doesn't happen.
But moving into town?

I hope you travel a lot then.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7243 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I never heard of that thanks for sharing.
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/scienceno...

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/11125516...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#7244 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Moved into town?
That's a big ouch!
Although living closer then I do right now would not be so bad. 30 miles to the closest gas station, going out to eat once in awhile doesn't happen.
But moving into town?
I hope you travel a lot then.
City living is definitely a major mind shift from working a small horse ranch out in the middle of nowhere, but I've lived in big cities before. Spent the last 12 years breeding and training Paso Finos, it was time for a change.

And city life is fun once you get your head in the right frame of reference!

Like I said, out dance options are excellent. Wednesday night salsa & bachata ... Friday & Saturday local live jazz at any number of venues with cha-cha, rumba, jitterbug, etc. All within our "stagger zone" (the zone where it's easy to stagger home without needing to drive).

We even walk to the grocery store and have a subway line less than a block away. Sold all my cars & trucks but 1 and hardly ever even need that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr marlboro man 77,144
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr The FACTory 941
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Aerobatty 258,484
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 8 hr The FACTory 4,334
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr The FACTory 32,301
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... Wed Roec 1
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web