Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#7205 Nov 29, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>No, fool, it isn't.
Then why did you claim I was using my own personal definitions.
KJV

United States

#7206 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>Your god is a mythological creature. Grow up.
Getting a bit PO'ed?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#7207 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Ramble on
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do.
Adam wrote:
?..what's that?
Song lyrics.

Khatru is a rock expert. Ramble On is a Led Zeppelin tune containing those lyrics - see 00:56 at
KJV

United States

#7208 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>Why bore me with this? Did you have a point?
Why of course there was a point to this.
It was a direct response to your comment. Sorry if you can't put 2 and 2 together.
KJV

United States

#7209 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>This is incoherent. You really need to stifle about science.
Hate to break it to you but Mexico is not a very safe place to hide if you committed Medicare fraud.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7210 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to break it to you but Mexico is not a very safe place to hide if you committed Medicare fraud.
So, why do you assert this?
KJV

United States

#7211 Nov 29, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I'm not familiar with it.

Why don't you explain it to me and then tell me why planets are spinning the "wrong way"?

Once you've done that, please explain what the "right way" for a planet to spin is.
""This (Angular Momentum) would have caused the Sun to spin very rapidly. Actually, our Sun spins very slowly, while the planets move very rapidly around the Sun. In fact, although the Sun has over 99% of the mass of the solar system, it has only 2% of the angular momentum. This pattern is directly opposite to the pattern predicted for the nebular hypothesis." Quoted from Dr. H. Reeves "The Origin of the Solar System", in "The Origin of the Solar System", Dermott, S.F. Ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York p. 9, 1978."

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#7212 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Who's on first?
What an idiot.
You and Dim are ever the easiest posters to refute. You also make it easy to tell when I've really hit home because you resort to name-calling.

Let's see now. Here's what you said:
KJV wrote:
trying to understand why God did something you can just forget about it.
That's right, by your own admission you can forget about trying to understand why your god does something.

This means that you don't understand why your god had his son killed and any Christian who tries to explain it is wasting his time.

LOL
KJV

United States

#7213 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Why would you say that? I would consider them to be matter. In fact, they have some of the characteristics of dark matter: they don't interact strongly with ordinary matter or light, for example. For a while, it was thought that neutrinos could *be* dark matter, but it turns out they don't have enough mass.

[QUOTE]Last I heard light was energy although its not the dark energy we are talking about. they do deal with dark energy as part of dark matter.
Last I head they were expanding to dark energy also."

OK, I was not aware they had started dark energy probes yet. No, light is not the same as dark energy. Once again, dark energy keeps its density upon expansion (one reason it is called the energy of a vacuum). Light actually decreases density faster than matter does.

<nice description of the parts of Soudan omitted>

And none of those are about dark energy. WIMPS, for example, are a good candidate for dark matter.
"This is extremely shocking: CERN scientists using a 1300-ton particle detector have measured particles travelling faster than the speed of light. If confirmed, this discovery could invalidate Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity and revolutionize physics.
Einstein's theory says that there's nothing in the universe that could travel faster than light. Now, CERN scientists believe this may be wrong according to their latest experiment.

The 3-year experiment timed about 16,000 neutrino packets launched from CERN facilities in Geneva, travelling through Earth and arriving 2.43 milliseconds later to the subterranean facilities of Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory. There, the Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (the OPERA particle detector) recorded the hits."

Watford, UK

#7214 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
12 year old leads atheist mother to Christ.
THIS BINARY CHILD PRODIGY PAINTED HER VISIONS OF HEAVEN AND BROUGHT HER ATHEIST MOTHER TO CHRIST
http://www.shangralafamilyfun.com/prodigy.htm...
God inspires elderly Christian lady to paint the true likeness of Jesus....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/08/...

Watford, UK

#7215 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
The free will God gave you was to accept him and go to heaven or choose Satan and go to hell, which is reserved for the Devil and his followers. Only a fool would choose the latter, but those are the only choices, since God is perfection and will not allow sin into heaven. He is the Creator, and that is his right. Your opinion of his plan is irrelevant to God.
Why do you lie so much, Dim?

You know how it makes the baby Jesus weep.

The Bible says that God does allow sin into heaven. Do I have to demonstrate yet again my superior knowledge of your myth book?
KJV

United States

#7216 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>None of the dark matter is light. As to whether you want to call it matter or not is a question of definitions. What is your definition of matter?

[QUOTE]Dark matter attracts and works on an individual bases while Dark matter repels but only seems to work as a whole (entire universe all at once) entity"

Once again, this is wrong. Dark matter attracts, dark energy repels.

[QUOTE]Sudan does deal in some dark energy experiment. And I was told was expanding to run 2 or 3 labs for dark energy.
"

Most of the proposals I have seen for dark energy have been astronomical--attempting to map out distribution, etc. Since they don't have any proposals (that I have seen) for what dark energy is made from, it seems strange for Soudan to be doing dark energy. On the other hand, I know it has been doing dark *matter* probes for a while.
That was a typo it was should have said dark energy repels. Not matter.

Watford, UK

#7217 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Langloiers has nothing to do with what YOU posted, so the only lie here is all yours, since you're trying to deny your own post. This is exactly what you wrote,““You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?”
It's got everything to do with it, Dim.

But then I don't expect you to admit it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7218 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're presenting a misleading half truth. Cuvier and Darwin were contemporaries, therefore Cuvier aware of the development of Darwin's projects and findings, even though the official “theory of evolution” wasn't published until 1859, I think it was. Also, there was the theory of Lamarck, widely accepted at the time; since disproved. Cuvier was aware of past theories of evolution and the theory being developed in his own time as well.
No, Cuvier was not aware of Darwin's findings. Cuvier died in 1832. Darwin's voyage on the Beagle didn't start until the last part of 1831. Also, as you point out, Darwin did not publish his ideas until 1859, and that was because someone else had proposed very similar ideas and Darwin wanted credit for the (larger) amount of work he did on the process of natural selection.

yes, Lamarck's ideas were shown to be wrong, but that is a matter of mechanism for evolution, not a question of whether it occurred. Do you have *anyone* with a biology background from after 1900 that does not support evolution?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7219 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"This is extremely shocking: CERN scientists using a 1300-ton particle detector have measured particles travelling faster than the speed of light. If confirmed, this discovery could invalidate Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity and revolutionize physics.
Einstein's theory says that there's nothing in the universe that could travel faster than light. Now, CERN scientists believe this may be wrong according to their latest experiment.
The 3-year experiment timed about 16,000 neutrino packets launched from CERN facilities in Geneva, travelling through Earth and arriving 2.43 milliseconds later to the subterranean facilities of Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory. There, the Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (the OPERA particle detector) recorded the hits."
And it was *not* confirmed. One of the detectors had a loop in it that messed up the timings. CERN has retracted its claims.

Watford, UK

#7220 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do I know about education? I know that I have it, and you don't, lol.
Dim, your education is false: it's based on dishonesty and credulity. You detest reason and scepticism and you can't handle being challenged.

The only learning you got was in how to fear your invisible sky pixie.

Oh yes, how to proselytise. No doubt you were taught that as well.

Watford, UK

#7221 Nov 29, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru:
Langoliers does not believe anyone survived the flood other then those on the ark. And when he gets back from New York cleaning up fiber networks after the hurricane he'll be happy to straighten you out on that
Derek can you believe these idiots?
Ho hum

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Here's what he says about Noah's Ark...
Langoliers wrote:
"The ark was not a mono-hull galleon, it was an array of small flat-bottom pontoons roped together. Large modern river barges are also assembled from dozens of small barges chained together."
http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/faq.htm
Check out your buddy's link to read more about what he believes:

"Was there a global flood?

No. The flood of Noah was a Euphrates River flood in southern Sumer similar to the flood of 1954 in southern Iraq. The "earth" in Genesis 7:17-18 refers to the ground/land in the flooded region, not the entire planet."

"Did everybody drown in the flood except Noah and his family? Are all the people of of the world descended from Noah?

No. Everybody did not drown. Hundreds, possibly thousands of Sumerians drowned in the flooded area, but there were many thousands of survivors of Noah's river flood, even in his own city, and especially in distant lands not affected by the flood."

Looks like I know your buddy better than you do.

Don't you ever get fed up being wrong?

ROFLMAO!!!!

Watford, UK

#7222 Nov 29, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. And they intentionally have short term memories when it suits them, and like Khatru, try to deny their OWN posts, lol. That's how they think they "win", but that's how they prove to us they're true losers and liars. So that's why I don't bother answering 90% of what they post.
There is not one credible atheist in the forum.
Keep up your great work, KJV.
From Langoliers own link:

"How did Noah prevent all the other people in his city from boarding the ark?

He didn't have to. The other people climbed high hills far from the river. These hills are not mentioned in Genesis 7:19-20 because they were too far from the river for Noah to see."

----------

"Did everybody drown in the flood except Noah and his family? Are all the people of of the world descended from Noah?

No. Everybody did not drown. Hundreds, possibly thousands of Sumerians drowned in the flooded area, but there were many thousands of survivors of Noah's river flood, even in his own city, and especially in distant lands not affected by the flood."

See, I told you he was lying when he said that Noah and his family made up 100% of humanity.

Why do you Christians lie so much?

I guess you don't believe the Bible after all.

Watford, UK

#7223 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>
And we were doing so well until now. You had to make it personal, didn't you? You had to take a cheap shot. You realize that that opens the door both ways, don't you?
I was also being polite with him but respect is so alien to him he couldn't handle it and he snapped.

I guess the Christian in him found civility just too hard a concept to grasp.

Watford, UK

#7224 Nov 29, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maxwell was a physicist, not a biologist. Evolution is a theory about biology. And no, molecules do not evolve in the sense of biological evolution.
It's a safe bet that any posts Dim makes that come from a Christian website are invariably, lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min Into The Night 94,129
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 5 hr blacklagoon 3 134
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 15 dollarsbill 5
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971