Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
6,741 - 6,760 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

“Louis Agassiz: A Life in Science”

“A giant of nineteenth-century natural history study, Louis Agassiz made major contributions to modern knowledge of geology, paleontology, and zoology. Agassiz's fame in America was largely as a popularizer of natural history and teacher of advanced students. Founding the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard was his lasting teaching and research achievement, and the Smithsonian Institution and National Academy of Sciences benefited from his impulse to professionalize science. A life-long opponent of the theory of evolution. Agassiz affirmed the magnificence of God's plan to all who would "study nature, not books".
http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Agassiz-A-Life-Sc...

[“teacher of advanced students.”]

[“Agassiz affirmed the magnificence of God's plan...”]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

“James Clerk Maxwell (1831 – 1879) was a Scottish physicist who formulated Electromagnetic Theory.”

“Almighty God, Who has created man in Thine own image, and made him a living soul that he might seek after Thee, and have dominion over Thy creatures, teach us to study the works of Thy hands, that we may subdue the earth to our use, and strengthen the reason for Thy service; so to receive Thy blessed Word, that we may believe on Him Who Thou has sent, to give us the knowledge of salvation and the remission of our sins. All of which we ask in the name of the same Jesus Christ, our Lord.”
... James Clerk Maxwell, a prayer of his found among his papers as cited by E.L. Williams and G. Mulfinger in their work, Physical Science for Christian Schools (1974)

“No theory of evolution can be formed to account for the similarity of molecules, for evolution necessarily implies continuous change … The exact equality of each molecule to all others of the same kind gives it … the essential character of a manufactured article, and precludes the idea of its being eternal and self-existent.”
... James Clerk Maxwell, Discourse on Molecules, a paper presented to the British Association at Bradford (1873)
http://www.christianevidences.org/relevant-pi...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

James Clerk Maxwell Quote:

“Through the creatures Thou hast made Show the brightness of Thy glory. Be eternal truth displayed In their substance transitory. Till green earth and ocean hoary, Massy rock and tender blade, Tell the same unending story: We are truth in form arrayed. Teach me thus Thy works to read, That my faith, new strength accruing “ May from world to world proceed, Wisdom's fruitful search pursuing Till, thy truth my mind imbuing, I proclaim the eternal Creed. Oft the glorious theme renewing, God our Lord is God indeed.”

James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879), Scottish physicist, widely considered by twentieth and twenty-first century physicists to have been one of the most significant figures of the nineteenth century. His work fundamentally changed conceptions of electromagnetism and introduced the basis of field theory. He is also known for his work on thermodynamics and the kinetic theory of gases.
http://www.blogorithm.com/archives/2004/04/ja...

[Maxwell:“God our Lord is God indeed.” Thank you James Maxwell.]

[Maxwell: brilliant scientist]
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Langloiers has nothing to do with what YOU posted, so the only lie here is all yours, since you're trying to deny your own post. This is exactly what you wrote,““You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?”
Khatru:

Langoliers does not believe anyone survived the flood other then those on the ark. And when he gets back from New York cleaning up fiber networks after the hurricane he'll be happy to straighten you out on that

Derek can you believe these idiots?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru:
Langoliers does not believe anyone survived the flood other then those on the ark. And when he gets back from New York cleaning up fiber networks after the hurricane he'll be happy to straighten you out on that
Derek can you believe these idiots?
Right. And they intentionally have short term memories when it suits them, and like Khatru, try to deny their OWN posts, lol. That's how they think they "win", but that's how they prove to us they're true losers and liars. So that's why I don't bother answering 90% of what they post.

There is not one credible atheist in the forum.

Keep up your great work, KJV.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
"Atheists, let me ask you - do you tithe?"
No. That's for the superstitious.
derek4 wrote:
"No? Why not?“Daylight Atheism” says you should tithe"
I decided to keep my income, retire early with it instead, and to leave some to my children. Let the parasitic priests find gainful employment of their own and feed their own children.
derek4 wrote:
“How much money do you give away each year?"
That's my business. How often do you fcuk your wife?

Besides, adding up how much you gave away is not a measure of your charity for two reasons. You don't know how the money was spent and on what, and it neglects charitable service.

For example, I give bridge lessons every Sunday at no charge. And I'm taking a man to the pharmacy later today to help him select an antidepressant. Service is a better gift, especially medical service in my case, and web sites in the case of my wife, who designs and maintains websites, a gift she gives for free to a few local charities.

Even when we give money, it's seldom just handing it to somebody except in the case of overtipping, which we do just to spread it around a little, and the 200 pesos a month that goes to one of the animal shelter. But we know and trust both women that do this not to do what your priests do with it - pocket it.

Right now, Mrs. Aint and I are discussing my idea to put up four more solar panels and give more clean power to the city. Presently, we generate just slightly more than we consume with eight panels. Four more would cost us about $1800 (installed) and would generate another 4 KWHs of power a day, which would all go to the power company for free. I think it would be a great gift, but she's a little reluctant yet. She'll come over eventually.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
I've come to realize that, if we really want to build a secular and enlightened society, speech is not enough. It's even more important that we offer material support - our money and our time - to organizations that do good by advancing the values that atheists hold dear.
Nonsense. I don't do charity to advance atheism. And speech is indeed enough to accomplish that goal, which is what I offer here, in my local freethinkers club meetings, in local publications, and in conversation.
derek4 wrote:
We don't have to copy the example of the churches that demand an astonishing 10% of their members' income, but I think every atheist who can afford it should donate at least a few percent to groups working to uphold the causes that make this world better. Call it a secular tithe."
What does that have to do with atheism?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There are black holes through out our galaxy yet alone the universe. And everything known about them to science and the law of our universe prohibits them from just one day start to slowly expand and recreate everything sucked into them.
That's incorrect. Black holes evaporate. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiatio... :

"Hawking radiation reduces the mass and the energy of the black hole and is therefore also known as black hole evaporation. Because of this, black holes that lose more mass than they gain through other means are expected to shrink and ultimately vanish"

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
Well if he was hiding he would. Lots of Medicare fraud you know.
And we were doing so well until now. You had to make it personal, didn't you? You had to take a cheap shot. You realize that that opens the door both ways, don't you?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see Merriam - Webster is now my private definition book? LOL
No, fool, it isn't.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
God gave you a brain to use. Use all of if.
Your god is a mythological creature. Grow up.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck, ForMemRS[1](April 23, 1858 – October 4, 1947) was a German theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.[2]
Planck made many contributions to theoretical physics, but his fame rests primarily on his role as originator of the quantum theory. This theory revolutionized human understanding of atomic and subatomic processes, just as Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity revolutionized the understanding of space and time. Together they constitute the fundamental theories of 20th-century physics. Both have led humanity to revise some of its most cherished philosophical beliefs, and have brought about industrial and military applications that affect many aspects of modern life.
Why bore me with this? Did you have a point?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
"Max Planck is universally recognized as the father of modern physics"
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Nonsense. That's Einstein:

[1] From "The father of modern physics" at http://www.mathscareers.org.uk/viewItem.cfm... "Today Einstein is considered the father of modern physics."
[2] From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein "Einstein is often regarded as the father of modern physics and the most influential physicist of the 20th century."
[3] "Why is Einstein considered the father of modern physics?" curiosity.discovery.com/question/why-einstein...
[4] "Albert Einstein is called the father of modern physics. He was the one who came up with most of the concepts of modern physics"
http://physics.tutorvista.com/modern-physics....
polymath257 wrote:
Planck certainly has an honorable role as the inventor of the idea of the quantum.
Yes, I know. I already acknowledged that.
polymath257 wrote:
That it was developed fully by others doesn't change the fact that he originated it.
Yes, thank you. I am aware of that as well. I'm not sure what your point is.
polymath257 wrote:
Of course, it was Einstein, Bohr, Schrodinger, and others that really brought it to fruition (and modified it greatly from what Planck proposed).
Yes, I also know that, and noted as much.

I'm not sure why you're telling me, though. Is your comment related to Dim's claim that Planck was the father of modern physics, or to my rebuttal to it naming Einstein instead?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
cdms.berkeley.edu/Jan 5, 2009 – Dark matter constitutes approximately a quarter of all matter ... matter and energy in the universe is referred to as dark energy.... at the Soudan Underground Laboratory in Minnesota where in it ...
Dark matter some of which is light is not matter at all.
Dark matter attracts and works on an individual bases while Dark matter repels but only seems to work as a whole (entire universe all at once) entity
Sudan does deal in some dark energy experiment. And I was told was expanding to run 2 or 3 labs for dark energy.
This is incoherent. You really need to stifle about science.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
The free will God gave you was to accept him and go to heaven or choose Satan and go to hell, which is reserved for the Devil and his followers. Only a fool would choose the latter
Only a fool would believe either, Dim.
derek4 wrote:
God is perfection and will not allow sin into heaven. He is the Creator, and that is his right. Your opinion of his plan is irrelevant to God.
Your fables about sky pixies are irrelevant.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
" What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?”
None. Noah was a mythological character as well.

And what a hare-brained myth it is. Your god allegedly drowned nearly the earth in order to start his project over. Hardly a surgical strike, he managed to nearly kill all of the vegetation, fish, birds, and terrestrial animals as well. That's pretty bad work, but not the worst part of it.

Unfortunately, instead of completely sterilizing the earth, starting fresh, and creating a race of sinless creatures that knew him intuitively, your god is said to have used the same breeding stock!

Worse, his exemplar of perfection was the drunk Noah. Not surprisingly, your god wound up with more of the same kind of people that he had just murdered.

Why don't you worship that for both of us. I have better things to do with my life.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Opposition to evolution
Irrelevant. The issue is decided. The theory is confirmed. Move on if you can.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO
LOL
I see you still have problems accepting that according to the Bible, the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter is three.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know The theory of angular momentum?
If you did you would not need to post this dribble.
Actually, I'm not familiar with it.

Why don't you explain it to me and then tell me why planets are spinning the "wrong way"?

Once you've done that, please explain what the "right way" for a planet to spin is.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there are. But the fact is a black hole has never started to expand slowly
As your Big Bang singularity theory states. And the claim that the laws of physics did not take affect until science says is bull. Science cannot turn on and off the laws of the universe.
Ramble on

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••