Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#6562 Nov 23, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. My belief at the present time is that we do not have enough evidence or knowledge to form an opinion on the existence of gods. It may be impossible to form an opinion on the exstence of an invisible and silent entity.
Well at least you know the difference between atheist and agnostic.
Unfortunately there will never be enough evidence to prove Gods existence. God requires his followers to make a leap of faith.

"invisible and silent entity"

Invisible? No just not revealing himself in a physical manifestation.

Silent? No he gave us his word. It's called the bible.
KJV

United States

#6563 Nov 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, so you don't deny that the majority of killers, rapists, child molesters, and other such vile people are christian. Good. That also means you cannot deny that the vast majority of killings in history were done in the name of your religion, by people of your religion.
Looks like KK has taken another hit off her torpedo! LOL

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6564 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well at least you know the difference between atheist and agnostic.
Unfortunately there will never be enough evidence to prove Gods existence. God requires his followers to make a leap of faith.
"invisible and silent entity"
Invisible? No just not revealing himself in a physical manifestation.
Silent? No he gave us his word. It's called the bible.
Lemmings, that's who takes leaps of faith, jumps without looking. Do you really like to be lemmings? Or mindless sheep?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6565 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like KK has taken another hit off her torpedo! LOL
Spin all you want, you pull the Scotsman fallacy only when it suits you, that's all I need to point out.
KJV

United States

#6566 Nov 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Who said anything about proving/disproving a god?

The issue is that your Bible got it wrong. That's all, it's no big deal for me because I know it was written by men.

You however, have a much bigger problem if you believe the Bible is the error-free word of your god.
"The issue is that your Bible got it wrong. That's all, it's no big deal for me because I know it was written by men."

Yes it was written by men! Well there may have been some women involved also. Regardless they were inspired by God to write the Bible.

The bible did not get the number for Pi wrong. You seem to think that you can set the rules as to how many decimal places must be listed. Pi is infinite so your quote of what Pi is was wrong also because I claim you need to go 300 decimal places. The bible used 3 with no decimal places. It not wrong!
Pi is 3 if you are rounding off.

.1 is easily rounded to 0
.141 is also easily round off to 0
.14159265359 is also easily rounded off to 0.
KJV

United States

#6567 Nov 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Right you are, Dim.
Yes I know I'm right.
KJV

United States

#6568 Nov 23, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see now. You said:

non-belief = belief = religion

I then said that when I go into a tall building, I believe that the stress-bearing calculations made by structural engineers are correct.

I asked you to explain how that belief is a religion.

You failed.

I'm not surprised.
Your nuts!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6569 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Here's another atheist “hater”:
“I'm an Atheist But I Hate Atheists”
Let me explain, I am technically an atheist. I don't believe in God and I resent all religions. However, I hate the very essence of atheism. I hate how self-righteous atheists are, I hate how they see every religious person below them just because they don't believe in fairy tales, I hate how they spend their time on Reddit's atheism board thinking that they are "something". So I'm an atheist but I loathe atheists, especially the loudmouth kind.”
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/new-members...
[Wow – that one even hates his own kind, lol. Lots of HATE involved in being an atheist......who need that kind of life?]
You really are a sentient spam bot. Do you ever have an original thought?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6570 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Your nuts!
You love projecting.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6571 Nov 23, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You really are a sentient spam bot. Do you ever have an original thought?
Original thoughts cause AIs to malfunction, we can't quite make them capable of that yet.
KJV

United States

#6572 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Apparent biblical discrepancies can be and are reconciled. However, I am not here to debate alleged discrepancies. I leave that to theologians and I often refer to them (and my study Bible) whenever I have Bible questions. If you and I don't even agree on the existence of God, what would be the point to debating the fine points of the Bible?

Note that I do NOT agree with you there are any discrepancies in the Bible. However, just reading in this forum should show you there are many discrepancies in atheism. So if you're looking for a position where there are no discrepancies, you better deconvert from atheism, lol.

Just this other note: I do not fail to capitalize Richard Dawkins or Jesus and Paul since improper spelling of proper names and intentionally disrespectful grammar does not serve anyone well or make any points for you. It simply shows crudeness / ignorance.
Well put.
KJV

United States

#6573 Nov 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Lemmings, that's who takes leaps of faith, jumps without looking. Do you really like to be lemmings? Or mindless sheep?
You sure like tying mankind to animals.

No I'm no Lemming or Sheep or Ape.

Do you ever add anything or are you just that bratty little kid next door that you can't turn your back on for one second?
KJV

United States

#6574 Nov 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You love projecting.
And you're sick!

LOL

Is that better? LOL

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6575 Nov 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Original thoughts cause AIs to malfunction, we can't quite make them capable of that yet.
Darn.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6576 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
"atheism is a religion/belief system.
if i tell someone that i have a million dollars beneath my desk, they would have to know what a million dollars is to be able to confirm or deny its existence. if someone denies that i have a million dollars under my desk, then they are first confirming that they know what a million dollars is.
likewise, if an atheist denies that i have 'God' in a little box under my desk, the atheist is confirming the existence of God because he would have to know what God is to be able to deny its existence.
There is a more insidious type of atheist not mentioned in the OP, the Fundamentalist Atheist. Fundamentalist Atheists, have a need to go around websites and street corners proclaiming their 'beliefs' in God's non-existence, the same way christians proclaim their 'beliefs.' Both are religionists."
I'm sure the first thing the person would say is "show me the million dollars"

You would then be able to prove or not prove you had a million dollars.

So, show me your god.

Oops...you lose.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6577 Nov 24, 2012
KJV wrote:
"atheism is a religion/belief system.
if i tell someone that i have a million dollars beneath my desk, they would have to know what a million dollars is to be able to confirm or deny its existence. if someone denies that i have a million dollars under my desk, then they are first confirming that they know what a million dollars is.
likewise, if an atheist denies that i have 'God' in a little box under my desk, the atheist is confirming the existence of God because he would have to know what God is to be able to deny its existence.
There is a more insidious type of atheist not mentioned in the OP, the Fundamentalist Atheist. Fundamentalist Atheists, have a need to go around websites and street corners proclaiming their 'beliefs' in God's non-existence, the same way christians proclaim their 'beliefs.' Both are religionists."
Does the fact that I know who Harry Potter, Han Solo and Scarlett O'Hara are confirm their existence?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6578 Nov 24, 2012
In the Inquisition, pain inflicted on sexual organs was very prevalent, another clear sign of the sexual obsession brought on by the perversions of celibacy. This type of sexual perversion has occurred in every Mysteries Religions in all of history: the Babylonian Satanic Mysteries, Egyptian Mysteries, the Greek Mysteries, and the Mysteries of Imperial Rome. Celibate Catholic priests were just the latest to feel the scourge of sexual perversion brought on by celibacy.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Chico, CA

#6579 Nov 24, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure the first thing the person would say is "show me the million dollars"

You would then be able to prove or not prove you had a million dollars.

So, show me your god.

Oops...you lose.
So then you could never prove anything to a person that is blind!

Found another one, Idiot!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6580 Nov 24, 2012
God Commands Burning Humans

[The Lord speaking] "The one who has stolen what was set apart for destruction will himself be burned with fire, along with everything he has, for he has broken the covenant of the LORD and has done a horrible thing in Israel." (Joshua 7:15 NLT)
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6581 Nov 24, 2012
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you could never prove anything to a person that is blind!
Found another one, Idiot!
So your keyboard is braille.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 34 min Eagle 12 247,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 48 min Eagle 12 2,369
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 59 min Eagle 12 40
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Knowledge- 12,963
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr Eagle 12 47,920
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr ORIGINAL WILLARD 91
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr Eagle 12 20,901
More from around the web