Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6528 Nov 23, 2012
“An Atheist Says He Knows There Is No God “

by Matt Slick

“This atheist actually believed he knew for a fact that there was no God. I found that position to be interesting and, quite honestly, not possible.

Also, he and I discussed faith a bit towards the end.

Atheist: As to religious arguments I haven't found one that can stand up to the logic of atheism.
Matt: Are you a strong atheist or a weak one?
Atheist: Never heard of a weak atheist.
Matt: I’ll explain. A strong atheist states that there is no God. He knows there is no God. A weak atheist, basically,'lacks belief' in a god of any sort.
Atheist: Then I am a strong atheist.
Matt: Then you know there is no God?
Atheist: As much as knowledge can tell us yes..Maybe it's you who have to catch up on your atheism... Agnostic fits the description pretty well of a weak atheist...
Matt: That is what I said...which are you?
Atheist: I am a strong. Characteristic human thought, coupled with hope is what religion boils down to, the unexplained tried to be explained...
Matt: So, you know there is no god?
Atheist: Yes.”-----[REALLY? WHAT PROOF DOES HE HAVE?]
http://carm.org/atheist-says-he-knows-there-n...

[Looks like this atheist needs to read what Mr. Dawkins has to say, lmao.]

Location hidden

#6529 Nov 23, 2012
More on the illogic of atheism:

“While secularists style themselves as champions of logic, there are many aspects of secularist thought that rest on fallacious reasoning. A thorough reading of the Humanist Manifesto will yield several examples of illogic, most of which consist of espousing a certain principle while advocating a public policy that is directly opposed to that same principle.

For the moment I considering only one very specific idea, that of atheism. By that term I mean the certainty that there is no God. This is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which is the belief that the question, of whether this is a God, cannot be settled with the evidence at hand.

[Right – science has no evidence based position about God.]

So what would be the threshold of certainty for atheism?

Simply enough, the evidence for atheism would consist of any observation that is incompatible with the existence of God, thereby bringing into contradiction the person who claims that there is a God. While this appears easy on the surface, there are two problems with meeting this threshold.

First, there is no observation or combination of observations that is incompatible with the existence of an omnipotent being.

Second, and more severe, no such observations are even possible. This goes beyond the sloppy catch phrase "you can't prove a negative" (which phrase is easily rebutted, because there are innumerable negatives which are easily proven); it is impossible to even conceive of something that would disprove God's existence.”
http://enphilistor.50megs.com/illogic.htm

Location hidden

#6530 Nov 23, 2012
“Another illogical argument from atheists I've run into is the argument from silence. It is erroneous to use arguments from silence to establish a position, for making positive pronouncements on the basis of silence is logically invalid.

I have seen that atheists frequently use this method in their attacks on Christianity and on the reliability of the Bible. For example, they erroneously concluded that there was no writing in Moses' day because it had not yet been discovered! They should have learned to stop making such logical blunders when archeologists discredited this argument against the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch. Sorry to say, today's atheist literature is filled with numerous examples of this basic error in logic.”
http://brothershouse.yuku.com/topic/788/The-i...

Location hidden

#6531 Nov 23, 2012
This atheist claims to have:“Irrefutable proof there is no God”

THIS is his “proof”- he writes (from 2008):

“The immensely talented actor Heath Ledger was found dead in his apartment today of what appears to be a drug overdose.

In related news, Britney Spears is reportedly still alive.”
http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2008/01...

[Of course we know he's joking, but the joke is on himself, and his “logic” makes about as much sense as the lame brain atheists in this forum – LMAO.]

Location hidden

#6532 Nov 23, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
What gets me is that Derek and KJV never seem to talk about their beliefs. For supposed christians they never seem to talk about jesus, or stuff like that. I have no idea where they live, what denomination they in, what they believe, or anything, except their hatred of free thinking people. Strange.
"I have no idea where they live, what denomination they in, what they believe, or anything..."

(1) What difference does it make where we live? I'm in the Dallas, Texas area.

(2) What difference does our "denomination" make? We are Christians, but if you don't believe in God, the "denomination" - Baptist - Methodist - Presbyterian - whatever - doesn't matter. You would reject them all equally.

Besides, there are different "denominations" of atheists - there are agnostic atheists, new atheists, militant atheists, religious atheists, and many others - we don't know which you are, but it doesn't matter to us.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6533 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
.. we don't know which you are, but it doesn't matter to us.
I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. My belief at the present time is that we do not have enough evidence or knowledge to form an opinion on the existence of gods. It may be impossible to form an opinion on the exstence of an invisible and silent entity.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6534 Nov 23, 2012
Derek, I thought I'd share with you some thoughts on why I deconverted. It was partly caus when you look into it there is a lack of good evidence to justify christian beliefs. The life of jesus is recorded in the gospels. The four gospels and pauls letters all contradict each other. The gospels were written decades after the events they record by anonymous authors. What does this mean?

Well, when it says Jesus said "X", we cannot believe that this is case. It is not coming from a valid source. When in the gospel of Matthew it says the dead rose from their graves i.e. zombies walked the streets of jerusalem, without faith glasses, we know this claim is absurd.

At most you can claim jesus may of existed as a person, and perhaps argue for the existence of a god entity which does not interact with its creation, but christianity is not a reasonable proposition. It is basically a lie which no reasonable person could agree with.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6535 Nov 23, 2012
derek you were dead before u were born, think u will find come judgement day, u will be disapointed,
derek4 wrote:
“Another illogical argument from atheists I've run into is the argument from silence. It is erroneous to use arguments from silence to establish a position, for making positive pronouncements on the basis of silence is logically invalid.
I have seen that atheists frequently use this method in their attacks on Christianity and on the reliability of the Bible. For example, they erroneously concluded that there was no writing in Moses' day because it had not yet been discovered! They should have learned to stop making such logical blunders when archeologists discredited this argument against the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch. Sorry to say, today's atheist literature is filled with numerous examples of this basic error in logic.”
http://brothershouse.yuku.com/topic/788/The-i...
KJV

United States

#6536 Nov 23, 2012
oral roberts wrote:
<quoted text>Ever hear of a holy war waged by atheists? History is pretty chock full of religious murders a few hundred million in the past 3000 years. So if I dribble then so be it but I am not part of killing in the name of the invisible people team. Only the team that takes responsibility for their own actions and doesn't need some fool preaching about how they need money and how bad all the other religions are.
Well Oral first off atheist would never use the word holy on their wars names.
But there have been hundreds of war started by atheist killing many more then all the holy wars combined.

I can think of many wars that's prime purpose was to kill of certain Theist groups. I seem to recall Christians being feed to the lions while the pagans and atheist looked on laughing. Oh and then there was this war that took place where each country that was seized had all their Jewish believers were killed off.
KJV

United States

#6537 Nov 23, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
Because Atheist are afraid of using that word. They want to slide under another umbrella.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6538 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Atheist are afraid of using that word. They want to slide under another umbrella.
Silly post. Atheists appear confident of themselves, and not fearful, imo.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6539 Nov 23, 2012
I hope you bozos (KJV and Derek) appreciate me helping you out :) One for the road. Is the bible the word of God?

Every word of god is true (Pro 30:5)
God deceives prophets (1 ki 22:23)
The scribes falsify the word (Jer 8:8)
God deceives the wicked (2 Th 2:11-12)

See the problem here.. the bible cannot be trusted. Its not the word of any perfect deity or inspired in any way shape or form.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6540 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have no idea where they live, what denomination they in, what they believe, or anything..."
(2) What difference does our "denomination" make? We are Christians, but if you don't believe in God, the "denomination" - Baptist - Methodist - Presbyterian - whatever - doesn't matter. You would reject them all equally.
Besides, there are different "denominations" of atheists - there are agnostic atheists, new atheists, militant atheists, religious atheists, and many others - we don't know which you are, but it doesn't matter to us.
Ah, so you don't deny that the majority of killers, rapists, child molesters, and other such vile people are christian. Good. That also means you cannot deny that the vast majority of killings in history were done in the name of your religion, by people of your religion.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#6541 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes you win! You've single handily proven there is no God!
Up .14 did it!
LOL
Who said anything about proving/disproving a god?

The issue is that your Bible got it wrong. That's all, it's no big deal for me because I know it was written by men.

You however, have a much bigger problem if you believe the Bible is the error-free word of your god.

Watford, UK

#6542 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm you seem to have trouble reading again. I made that Post "KJV" not derek4.
Right you are, Dim.

Watford, UK

#6543 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.
Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.
The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious world views."
Let's see now. You said:

non-belief = belief = religion

I then said that when I go into a tall building, I believe that the stress-bearing calculations made by structural engineers are correct.

I asked you to explain how that belief is a religion.

You failed.

I'm not surprised.

Watford, UK

#6544 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Oh, I am sorry.
derek4 wrote:
You missed out the Catholics. That's mainstream Christianity to you.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6545 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a grasp on anything, and atheists don't have a monopoly on defining words.
But since you only accept atheist definitions, I'll post what atheist Richard Dawkins says about what an atheist is in a just a minute.
That's why I post links, not just my own opinions, so you can get it from your own “so called experts”, lol. My opinions or comments are often stated under the link I provide in my posts.
Ok, then I'll post how Pat Robertson defines christians. Goodness you're stupid. Why do you even care what the definition is? How does some quibble about a definition do anything to prove your god? Some atheists believe there is no god, some don't believe in a god. Why does it matter to you?

Location hidden

#6546 Nov 23, 2012
derek4 wrote:
From Richard Dawkins, atheist:
And this:“Atheists always attack theists for being inconsistent, but atheists are wildly inconsistent themselves.”
And this statement, very near the end:“they (atheists) should recognize that atheism is a belief just as firmly planted in irrationality, in ego and desire, as theism.”]
[This final comment: Mr. Dawkins affirms he is an atheist rather than an agnostic, so - by his own definition of an atheist - he has taken on a firm belief there is no God - but there is no proof, so his belief is a position of FAITH........a faith that is, in his own words,“firmly planted in irrationality.”]
You're not intelligent. You know nothing about my position on the matter. Did I ever once tell you that I can prove there is no god? No, I didn't. Did I ever tell you that lack of evidence for a god is proof that there is no god? No, I didn't. I don't think a god is likely to exist, but such a proposition is not proveable by definition. Stop making assumptions, stop being stupid.

Location hidden

#6547 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an atheist. Not afraid of using that word, what are you talking about? I do not believe in any gods. If proof is ever forthcoming, I will rethink my position. As of now, there is no proof at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 8 min Dogen 2,578
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Science 83,240
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu Dan78iel 3,989
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web