Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
KJV

United States

#6500 Nov 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, the concept of god is too vague to even be tested. All that can be tested are specific claims, such as that prayer works. It doesn't. Or that life was created. It wasn't. It evolved.

Speaking of probability, the god hypothesis is the least probable for the competing explanations for the existence of anything. If anything at all exists, something has to be eternal or to have come into existence uncaused.

[1] One hypothesis has the singularity coming into existence uncaused, and expanding.

[2] Another has our universe existing eternally, uncaused, and cycling through alternating epochs of expansion and contraction.

[3] Another posits the existence of a multiverse from which infinite numbers of universes including our bud off. The multiverse need be no more than an amorphous, unconscious blob.

[4] And then there is the hypothesis that an eternal, infinite, uncaused omnscient, omnipotent, immortal, and perfectly moral sentient life form has always existed.

The last is infinitely more complex than any of the others,complexity that is not needed. A multiverse could be the source of our universe, and at this time, is the leading candidate, since that hypothesis also answers the fine tuning objection.

A multiverse is infinitely more likely to exist than a god. And it's a Christian argument that defeats the god hypothesis, namely, Hoyle's fallacy - the one about 747's being assembled by tornadoes in junkyards being so unlikely as to be considered impossible, and therefore living cells self-assembling (abiogenesis) would be similarly unlikely. But what is a weak, unconscious, impotent and mortal cell compared to a god? Nothing. So how could a god exist uncaused?

Occam's Razor compels us not just to merely drop this hypothesis, but to hurl it with great force and dispatch.
"more likely to exist than a god"

This of course is just your opinion that obviously carriers no weight with us.

Question for you, do you believe in anything that cannot or does not exist in the universes?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6501 Nov 22, 2012
Let's hear about an atheist's view of religion:

I’m a Religious Atheist

I’m an atheist because I believe religious ideas have great value, not because I reject all religious ideas. I’m also an atheist because I still accept many of the values of my earlier religion.

Because I agree to love others, I accept that the devotion of members of other faiths is just as genuine as mine was, and cannot be chalked up to delusion or insincerity.

Because I agree to pursue truth – if God creates all truth – I accept similarities between Christian narratives and other religious traditions, and realize that how I approach the world is influenced by similar reasons which cause others to approach the world differently.

Because I agree to seek what’s right, I accept the existence of common moral demands between all great religions, pointing to moral demands higher than any creed.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefait...

Location hidden

#6502 Nov 22, 2012
Why Atheists Make the Worst Scientists

“I am offended. Not as a Christian, but as a scientist and mathematician. Probability & Statistics are my closest friends. Science is my lens to God. In my own intellectual quest to find God in this world, my emotions play only the role of admirer. They do not rule me, nor my approach to religion or science. The two, to me, are one. I fear no scientific discovery and welcome Solomon’s encouragement to seek knowledge and wisdom in this human life of mine. Science merely uncovers the greatest Scientist’s fascinating methods- just as humor reflects the greatest Comedian and poetry, the greatest Poet. Nothing more. All human discovery is, to me, a further reason to worship.

That being said, I am offended by the lack of good science and logic in today’s overwhelmingly atheistic science community. In all ways but one, this unique community follows good, basic, sound scientific process & thought to learn more about the universe in which humans live. They are naturally, and rightfully, a skeptical bunch. A claim must be proven to be taken seriously. That one exception is their approach to God. This is where Hubris, their true god, stands directly in their way. It stunts their minds and their science. It makes fools of them and their ideas. The only barrier against exposure to mockery is the success of the myth that Science, somehow, is always ‘right’. That scientists are somehow smarter or more logical than any other human. That they, somehow, are immune to human frailties like selfishness, power hunger or arrogance. And lastly, that science today is somehow ‘much more advanced’ than in the days when scientists claimed the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the earth.”

continued:

“The lack of logic lies in the evil hearts of bad scientists. Atheist scientists. Logic, good science & all real knowledge will forever reside in those unafraid of the Truth. And those unafraid to bend the knee to It when they find It.”
http://shortlittlerebel.wordpress.com/2011/09...

[My posts have contained many references to the science god. Atheist scientists worship the science god.]

Location hidden

#6503 Nov 22, 2012
[Time to re-post this one about the atheist religion from an atheist expert:]

“First Atheist Church of True Science explains why atheism is a religion.”

Video in attached link is excerpt from an atheist sermon:

http://yourhappyplace.yuku.com/topic/54211/At...

[So, atheists - don't take my word that atheism is a religion – take it from your fellow atheist, lol.]

[STICK TOGETHER: STOP BETRAYING YOUR FELLOW ATHEIST RELIGIONISTS.]

Location hidden

#6504 Nov 22, 2012
Oh, and since it's been awhile, let's take another look at the atheist BIBLE – you atheists really need to get you a copy, lol:

From CNN:

Leading atheist publishes secular Bible

“The question arose early in British academic A.C. Grayling’s career: What if those ancient compilers who’d made Bibles, the collected religious texts that were translated, edited, arranged and published en masse, had focused instead on assembling the non-religious teachings of civilization’s greatest thinkers?

What if the book that billions have turned to for ethical guidance wasn’t tied to commandments from God or any one particular tradition but instead included the writings of Aristotle, the reflections of Confucius, the poetry of Baudelaire? What would that book look like, and what would it mean?

Decades after he started asking such questions, what Grayling calls “a lifetime’s work” has hit bookshelves.“The Good Book: A Humanist Bible,” subtitled “A Secular Bible” in the United Kingdom, was published this month. Grayling crafted it by using more than a thousand texts representing several hundred authors, collections and traditions.

The Bible would have been “a very different book and may have produced a very different history for mankind,” had it drawn on the work of philosophers and writers as opposed to prophets and apostles, says Grayling, a philosopher and professor at Birkbeck College, University of London, who is an atheist.

continued:

Determined to make his material accessible, Grayling arranged his nearly 600-page "Good Book" much like the Bible, with double columns, chapters (the first is even called Genesis) and short verses. And much like the best-selling King James Bible, which is celebrating its 400th year, his book is written in a type of English that transcends time.

Like the Bible, "The Good Book," opens with a garden scene. But instead of Adam and Eve, Grayling's Genesis invokes Isaac Newton, the British scientist who pioneered the study of gravity.

While many intellectual traditions – religious and otherwise – teach that there’s “one right way to live,” Grayling says he hopes “The Good Book” will encourage people to “go beyond your teachers, your text” to understand that “we have to respect and relate to one another.”
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/11/lead...

[THIS “bible” IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!!! PLOUGH THROUGH, BE A FAITHFUL ATHEIST!!!]

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6505 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
godless trash
Lol. Aren't you an intelligent person.

Location hidden

#6506 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about dribble, that's all these atheists know how to post. Blah, blah, blah.
They “say” they don't bother to read the news stories and articles I post, but then they turn right around and try to dispute it, showing their transparent dishonesty.
Just ignore 95% of what they write – I do that all the time. Who are they anyway? They have no credentials.
Soooo -- I let them spend hours typing replies I never read – some of their crap goes on so long, it almost uses up all the allotted characters – and like little scientists, they even dissect and split up posts into little segments – those I skip for sure – never read one yet, lol –
They're wasting their own time, not mine.
When I read something long, it will be something I choose from sources I research. But atheist dribble --- naaahhhhh - it gets tossed out with the dirty bath water, lmao.
So, you spam stuff you find on other websites, post no original thoughts, and then don't even read the posts directed back at you? Then you are you here? You are literally a sentient spam bot if all you do is copy/paste.
oral roberts

Warwick, RI

#6507 Nov 22, 2012
Yes the invisible unheard from deities ate the way to go. Whatever you do in life that's bad or if you are having a rough patch, simply blame it on the devil. Whatever you do never ever take control of your own life just simply follow one of the 50000 religions in the world. Listen to these people and pray you have the one right religion. Also they may all be wrong. I bet something might find the Harry potter series after humans are extinct then they might just base a new religion on good ole Harry. Just believe and that broom will fly.
KJV

United States

#6508 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>Um, yeah, I am. 0.14159 - or 4.72%- is the difference between a god and a goatherd. Everybody reading this outperforms the ancient goatherds.Why didn't your god?
Well you go ahead and believe that. not that you need my permission I'm just stating you've chosen a ridicules item to hang you hat on so have at it.

A cubit is not a fixed length. It can vary by inches and you think it's important that the .14 had to be included. Ridicules! The human culture only known fraction at the time was one half.

I have to admit it, God sure knows how to filter the slime out of the human population.

Thanks God for leaving that .14 out of the bible. LOL You sure nailed a mess of them with that one. LOL
KJV

United States

#6509 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't really matter how much you want to avoid it, the Bible (which you earnestly believe to be the word of your imaginary god) gives a ratio of three for Pi.

The temple was built around 1000 BCE by which time those in the know (apparently not your god) were familiar with Pi and their value was more accurate than the Bible's.

Babylonian clay tablets from nearly 1000 years earlier provide a value of 3.1250 for Pi. An Egyptian papyrus from about 800 years before Solomon shows a value of 3.1605 for Pi.

Both are more accurate than your Bible.

I guess your god's scriptures just aren't as divine as you think they are.

LOL
Oh yes you win! You've single handily proven there is no God!

Up .14 did it!

LOL
KJV

United States

#6510 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>No, Derek.

It's you.
Hmm you seem to have trouble reading again. I made that Post "KJV" not derek4.
KJV

United States

#6511 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>Hey, Dim! I have a couple of Thanksgiving haikus for you:

FamÂ’ly feasts are gross!
"Ever hear of a napkin?!!"
belches Auntie Esther.

With stuffing in hand,
And arm elbow deep in bird,
Her memory haunts.
Tsk Tsk Tsk
KJV

United States

#6512 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Notwithstanding mathematics; nothing can be proven.

When I go into a tall building, I believe that the stress-bearing calculations made by structural engineers are correct.

Tell me how that belief is a religion.
"Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.

Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.

The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious world views."
KJV

United States

#6513 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>Perhaps we are stupid and clueless. But we still outmaneuver you at every turn, as Dim just noted with his whine about our "religion" being permitted in school while yours is illegal.

We win every important court battle, and your church is hemorrhaging congregants, tithes, and social clout. Why is your god so weak? Do you have a theory?
Oh yes you sure have! NOT.
KJV

United States

#6514 Nov 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what is an atheist?

What makes you think you know what an atheist is? Do you think that reading a definition from an apologist website gives you a deeper understanding of atheism than actual atheists?
There is an English word and you look it up in a English dictionary you then read a list of acceptable meaning for that word.

And if a bunch of people use that word in an inappropriate way that's called slang. I'm not dealing with your slang definition.
KJV

United States

#6515 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Talk about dribble, that's all these atheists know how to post. Blah, blah, blah.

They “say” they don't bother to read the news stories and articles I post, but then they turn right around and try to dispute it, showing their transparent dishonesty.

Just ignore 95% of what they write – I do that all the time. Who are they anyway? They have no credentials.

Soooo -- I let them spend hours typing replies I never read – some of their crap goes on so long, it almost uses up all the allotted characters – and like little scientists, they even dissect and split up posts into little segments – those I skip for sure – never read one yet, lol –

They're wasting their own time, not mine.

When I read something long, it will be something I choose from sources I research. But atheist dribble --- naaahhhhh - it gets tossed out with the dirty bath water, lmao.
Wasting what little time they have left!

Ever hear of a basketball team called the atheist? They never have won a game but they sure can dribble. LOL

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#6517 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
godless trash
Unlike the trolling trash that you are.
oral roberts

Warwick, RI

#6518 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Wasting what little time they have left!

Ever hear of a basketball team called the atheist? They never have won a game but they sure can dribble. LOL
Ever hear of a holy war waged by atheists? History is pretty chock full of religious murders a few hundred million in the past 3000 years. So if I dribble then so be it but I am not part of killing in the name of the invisible people team. Only the team that takes responsibility for their own actions and doesn't need some fool preaching about how they need money and how bad all the other religions are.

Location hidden

#6519 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an English word and you look it up in a English dictionary you then read a list of acceptable meaning for that word.
And if a bunch of people use that word in an inappropriate way that's called slang. I'm not dealing with your slang definition.
I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
oral roberts

Warwick, RI

#6520 Nov 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
Well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min ChristINSANITY is... 227,709
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 min Eman 22,315
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 4 min dirtclod 131
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 32 min Patrick 931
Respecting belief: why should you? And why shou... 2 hr True Christian wi... 20
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr religionislies 421
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr TheHeadlines 482
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••