Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

oral roberts

Tiverton, RI

#6507 Nov 22, 2012
Yes the invisible unheard from deities ate the way to go. Whatever you do in life that's bad or if you are having a rough patch, simply blame it on the devil. Whatever you do never ever take control of your own life just simply follow one of the 50000 religions in the world. Listen to these people and pray you have the one right religion. Also they may all be wrong. I bet something might find the Harry potter series after humans are extinct then they might just base a new religion on good ole Harry. Just believe and that broom will fly.
KJV

United States

#6508 Nov 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Um, yeah, I am. 0.14159 - or 4.72%- is the difference between a god and a goatherd. Everybody reading this outperforms the ancient goatherds.Why didn't your god?
Well you go ahead and believe that. not that you need my permission I'm just stating you've chosen a ridicules item to hang you hat on so have at it.

A cubit is not a fixed length. It can vary by inches and you think it's important that the .14 had to be included. Ridicules! The human culture only known fraction at the time was one half.

I have to admit it, God sure knows how to filter the slime out of the human population.

Thanks God for leaving that .14 out of the bible. LOL You sure nailed a mess of them with that one. LOL
KJV

United States

#6509 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't really matter how much you want to avoid it, the Bible (which you earnestly believe to be the word of your imaginary god) gives a ratio of three for Pi.

The temple was built around 1000 BCE by which time those in the know (apparently not your god) were familiar with Pi and their value was more accurate than the Bible's.

Babylonian clay tablets from nearly 1000 years earlier provide a value of 3.1250 for Pi. An Egyptian papyrus from about 800 years before Solomon shows a value of 3.1605 for Pi.

Both are more accurate than your Bible.

I guess your god's scriptures just aren't as divine as you think they are.

LOL
Oh yes you win! You've single handily proven there is no God!

Up .14 did it!

LOL
KJV

United States

#6510 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>No, Derek.

It's you.
Hmm you seem to have trouble reading again. I made that Post "KJV" not derek4.
KJV

United States

#6511 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>Hey, Dim! I have a couple of Thanksgiving haikus for you:

Fam’ly feasts are gross!
"Ever hear of a napkin?!!"
belches Auntie Esther.

With stuffing in hand,
And arm elbow deep in bird,
Her memory haunts.
Tsk Tsk Tsk
KJV

United States

#6512 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Notwithstanding mathematics; nothing can be proven.

When I go into a tall building, I believe that the stress-bearing calculations made by structural engineers are correct.

Tell me how that belief is a religion.
"Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.

Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.

The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious world views."
KJV

United States

#6513 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>Perhaps we are stupid and clueless. But we still outmaneuver you at every turn, as Dim just noted with his whine about our "religion" being permitted in school while yours is illegal.

We win every important court battle, and your church is hemorrhaging congregants, tithes, and social clout. Why is your god so weak? Do you have a theory?
Oh yes you sure have! NOT.
KJV

United States

#6514 Nov 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what is an atheist?

What makes you think you know what an atheist is? Do you think that reading a definition from an apologist website gives you a deeper understanding of atheism than actual atheists?
There is an English word and you look it up in a English dictionary you then read a list of acceptable meaning for that word.

And if a bunch of people use that word in an inappropriate way that's called slang. I'm not dealing with your slang definition.
KJV

United States

#6515 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Talk about dribble, that's all these atheists know how to post. Blah, blah, blah.

They “say” they don't bother to read the news stories and articles I post, but then they turn right around and try to dispute it, showing their transparent dishonesty.

Just ignore 95% of what they write – I do that all the time. Who are they anyway? They have no credentials.

Soooo -- I let them spend hours typing replies I never read – some of their crap goes on so long, it almost uses up all the allotted characters – and like little scientists, they even dissect and split up posts into little segments – those I skip for sure – never read one yet, lol –

They're wasting their own time, not mine.

When I read something long, it will be something I choose from sources I research. But atheist dribble --- naaahhhhh - it gets tossed out with the dirty bath water, lmao.
Wasting what little time they have left!

Ever hear of a basketball team called the atheist? They never have won a game but they sure can dribble. LOL

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#6517 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
godless trash
Unlike the trolling trash that you are.
oral roberts

Tiverton, RI

#6518 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Wasting what little time they have left!

Ever hear of a basketball team called the atheist? They never have won a game but they sure can dribble. LOL
Ever hear of a holy war waged by atheists? History is pretty chock full of religious murders a few hundred million in the past 3000 years. So if I dribble then so be it but I am not part of killing in the name of the invisible people team. Only the team that takes responsibility for their own actions and doesn't need some fool preaching about how they need money and how bad all the other religions are.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6519 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an English word and you look it up in a English dictionary you then read a list of acceptable meaning for that word.
And if a bunch of people use that word in an inappropriate way that's called slang. I'm not dealing with your slang definition.
I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
oral roberts

Tiverton, RI

#6520 Nov 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
Well said

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6521 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasting what little time they have left!
Do you know how long believers have been claiming that the apocalypse was nigh?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#6522 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes with out an almighty God you can be god!
I wonder how far out in the Galaxy your cry that there is no God can be heard?
Halfway down a spiral arm?
Maybe not, how about to the closest Star? Maybe not, how about at least getting out of our solar system? Nan probably not. Neptune or Saturn?
Maybe just maybe!
Of course there is the rest of the universe that's a bit bigger but hey it all just appeared for nothingness right?
Real slow aren't you?
Here we will try it again >>> That there is more than one, nullifies the entire concept of one all powerful god. There are clearly thousands of gods, none who has any more validity than the next one. All are the farcical tools of the spell caster, who is your only liaisons to the gods.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6523 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.
Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.
The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious world views."
It is amazing how insecure religious folks are in their beliefs - it is so inconceivable to religious types that someone doesn't believe in a god that they have to turn that lack of belief into its own religion just so they have a box to put atheists in to understand them.

Its weird and creepy...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6524 Nov 23, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing how insecure religious folks are in their beliefs..
What gets me is that Derek and KJV never seem to talk about their beliefs. For supposed christians they never seem to talk about jesus, or stuff like that. I have no idea where they live, what denomination they in, what they believe, or anything, except their hatred of free thinking people. Strange.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#6525 Nov 23, 2012
KJV wrote:
My creationist senses are tingling.
Oh please.

1. The experiential dimension

While we do experience a sense of awe when looking at the universe, this is in no way linked to us not believing in god.
But in my case I'll give you nature mysticism, I have experienced that.

2. The mythic dimension
Sorry, no myths here, just logic, common sense and falsifiable theories.

3. Ritual dimension

If atheist are expected to perform any rituals I haven't gotten the memo.

4. The doctrinl dimension

Doctrines are belief systems; they provide specific answers to boundary/identity questions.They give the institutionalized answers to the unexplainable (boundary questions).

Nope, don't have those either, just scientific theories we use to explain the world around us to the best of our abilities.

5. The ethical dimension

You're going to have to pick a side with this issue: either we are immoral, evil people since we have nog god and therefore no morality, or our morality comes from our atheism. You can't have it both ways.

We have an ethical system of course, a secular humanist one, but it is in no way derived from our abscence of belief in god, obviously.

6. The social dimension

There is a social dimension to atheism, like there is a social dimension to nearly anything humans do, like say, going to a golf club. But, and this is key, atheists belong to different groups and there certainly isn't any kind of social convention we're supposed to follow.

Out of curiosity, if Ninian Smart thought atheism was just another religion, and I'm assuming you'll agree with me that the man has a better understanding of his own theory than you do, why did he mention religious education should engage with modern atheistic thought and with other religious traditions.

If atheism is just another religious tradition, shouldn't Smart have included it into "other religious traditions"?
Oh yeah, definitely a creationist.

Listen buddy, the theory of evolution is not a religious interpretation of science and ID is not science full stop.

I can't be bothered to explain all the evidence for evolution,again , but here's a song that accurately describes the "debate":

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6526 Nov 23, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you have a very firm grasp of what slang is. Why do you guys always get so wrapped up in stupid arguments over the definition of the word atheist?
You don't have a grasp on anything, and atheists don't have a monopoly on defining words.

But since you only accept atheist definitions, I'll post what atheist Richard Dawkins says about what an atheist is in a just a minute.

That's why I post links, not just my own opinions, so you can get it from your own “so called experts”, lol. My opinions or comments are often stated under the link I provide in my posts.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6527 Nov 23, 2012
From Richard Dawkins, atheist:

THE ILLOGIC OF ATHEISM

“Most people arriving here will assume I am a Christian or at least a theist. I am not. I am also not an agnostic. To be an agnostic is to be a doubter. But to doubt you must have a certain amount of information.”

continued:

“I do not even call myself a skeptic, since the word has been polluted by modern use. A modern skeptic is like an agnostic, and he or she is likely to lean to a “no” answer every time. Are there gods? Probably not. Are there unicorns? Probably not. Is there a Bigfoot? Probably not. And so on. I resist this “skeptic” tag because leaning toward a “no” answer is a prejudice itself. It is unscientific. Beyond that, the so-called skeptic societies are stiff with atheists and agnostics and cynics and other faux-scientists, and I prefer to remain as far away from all that as possible.

Of course, with the existence of Bigfoot and unicorns and so on we do have a great deal of information. We have made searches. The Earth is a limited environment and we have populated it widely and heavily and long. Even so, the mountain gorilla was not discovered until 1902, and huge populations of lowland gorillas were only recently discovered in the Congo (this very decade). Which is to say that we may lean a bit to a “no” answer for existence of larger beings in smaller areas we have scoured quite thoroughly, but even then we may be wrong.

But in looking for proof of gods, our search is pathetically limited. By definition, a god is a being whose powers are far greater than ours, who we cannot comprehend, and whose form we cannot predict. This would make our failure to locate a god quite understandable. A very large or small god would be above or below our notice, and a distant god would also evade our sensors. Not to mention we only have five senses. If we are manipulated by gods, as the hypothesis goes, then it would be quite easy for them to deny us the eyes to see them. Only a god of near-human size in the near environs would be possible to detect.

Again, this does not mean I believe in gods, any more than I believe in aliens or unicorns. I only point out that, as a matter of logic and science, a hypothesis that has not been proved is not the same as a hypothesis that has been disproved. I agree with the atheists and agnostics that the existence of gods has not been proved, but I do not agree that the existence of gods has been disproved. It would require a much more thorough search of the universe than has so far been completed to even begin to lean. As it is, our data is near-zero.

For this reason, I find atheists to be just as sanctimonious, illogical, and tiresome as the deists and theists, if not moreso. Because the atheists are often more highly educated [highly debatable, lol] and often better able to argue (in limited ways), they use this education and argument to prop themselves up in the ugliest ways. They blow apart the beliefs of religious people and imagine this solidifies their own beliefs in some way. But it never does.”[continued here:]
http://mileswmathis.com/atheism.html

[Also included in Mr. Dawkins text, further down, is this statement:“Atheists always take negative proof against a religion as positive proof for themselves, but this is both lazy and false.”---(thank you, Mr. Dawkins.)

And this:“Atheists always attack theists for being inconsistent, but atheists are wildly inconsistent themselves.”

And this statement, very near the end:“they (atheists) should recognize that atheism is a belief just as firmly planted in irrationality, in ego and desire, as theism.”]

[This final comment: Mr. Dawkins affirms he is an atheist rather than an agnostic, so - by his own definition of an atheist - he has taken on a firm belief there is no God - but there is no proof, so his belief is a position of FAITH........a faith that is, in his own words,“firmly planted in irrationality.”]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Eagle 12 - 81,838
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 35 min Eagle 12 - 33,069
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Thu Eagle 12 - 2,191
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 18 Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web