Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#6480 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for staying in the forum, KJV. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Thanksgiving?

Is that when you pray to your imaginary god and thank him for putting the food on your table?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#6481 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Dogmatic atheism, for all its pretensions to scientific literacy, is in effect composed of people scientifically illiterate, illogical, and addicted to argumentum ad verecundiam (arguments from modesty).
Sorry, Dim. Look up argumentum ad verecundiam again.

Incidentally, yours was a fine example of argumentum ex culo (argument from out your ass), which is the formal version of PIDOOMA http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/PIDOOMA

See also BOHICA and FUBAR.

Nottingham, UK

#6482 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I failed at nothing. The scripture was in the link I provided which you didn't want to plough through, so you were dishonest and lazy.
There is no baby Jesus.
He grew up, was crucified, and resurrected, and when your short life has ended, he will see that you get the justice you deserve, even as the worms are burrowing in and out of your godless eye sockets. Enjoy your blasphemy while you can, it's all you've got.
And, as you know, your family is planning a big party on the day they finally get rid of you.
I rarely look at your links.

Suffice to say, there is not one single biblical scripture that says our world is a sphere.

And you talk to me about dishonesty?

LOL

Ps. Here's a Christian church that says Jesus isn't coming back. Perhaps you should have words with them....

Nottingham, UK

#6483 Nov 22, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Once you are an LDS I read you are always one even if you leave the cult they don't remove your name from their roster.
Mormons are such idiots! Jesus came to America and there were horses all over the place! Whoops!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha haha!
<quoted text>
I don't know whether you remember Joyce McKinney.

She was a Mormon and back in 1977 she was making headline news over here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_McKinney

She kidnapped this guy, chained him to a bed and had her way with him.

If all Mormon chicks were like that, I might give their church a try.

Fennario

#6484 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Richard Dawkins, the scientist, Darwinist and notorious atheist who helped pay for the advertisements, maintains that the universe somehow evolved out of nothing by natural selection or some other similar process.
This is submoronic. Natural section is a term from biology, not cosmology.
derek4 wrote:
Can anyone who is weighed down with guilt over abortion, adultery or some other sin now stop worrying and enjoy life
Probably not.

"Religion. It’s given hope in a world torn apart by religion.”– Jon Stewart
derek4 wrote:
“There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”
Not you. He's talking to people with flexible minds. Your lot in life is to keep worrying about hell.

Nottingham, UK

#6485 Nov 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic sucks. All you argued is that atheism requires faith, not that it is a religion.
And you didn't demonstrate that atheism requires faith, or is a firm belief in anything. I am an atheist, I have no such firm belief in anything for which there is no proof, and thus I have neither faith nor a religion.
Faith, and therefore religion, are irrational. Atheism is rational. There is no such thing as a rational religion.
Whatever way Dim/KJV look at it, belief in their imaginary god has nothing to do with the educated, questioning, methodical minds of modern times and everything to do with the barbaric, unquestioning, primitive minds of late Iron Age goat herders.

Nottingham, UK

#6486 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Should the sins of Adam, which ostensibly happened millennia before that, still be held against man today? Should th efailure of somebody to accept Christ that is consigned to hell still be relevant a billion years later?
If you don't require forgiveness of your god, why do you expect the rest of us to be more forgiving? Are we better creatures?
<quoted text>
We know.There is nothing special about Christianity.
<quoted text>
Did you steal that from the Jews? Then the Muslims took it from you? And that makes it rightfully yours? Humanist ethics are different.
<quoted text>
We know. That's why we cite the so often.
Once again Dim is torn to shreds - you do it so well and with some panache.

No wonder he never replies to you directly.

Fennario

#6487 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I can’t imagine what it must be like to sit down around a Thanksgiving meal and eat without thanking the Lord. How awkward. How strange.
Our experiences are forever beyond your ken.
derek4 wrote:
for those who don’t believe in God–why are they celebrating Thanksgiving?
Why not? Gratitude has nothing to do with god beliefs unless you are grateful to a god instead of to reality, which is misdirected gratitude.
derek4 wrote:
Who are they thanking?
Nobody. We are merely grateful, not thanking anybody.
derek4 wrote:
In the spirit of being thankful, what are they thankful for? If God didn’t bless them, then are they eating turkey and green bean casserole in honor of their bosses? Their friends? The bank? The economy? The government? Their own accomplishments?[Darwin, or the science god?]
You are completely out of touch with your nature. It is too late for you to learn what can only be learned living authentically.
derek4 wrote:
What exactly are they thankful for?
It's not for you to know.
derek4 wrote:
Whether you refer to him as God or just Divine Providence, the fact that you celebrate Thanksgiving at all implies that there is one to whom we owe a debt of gratitude.
Not in the least.
derek4 wrote:
If they are true to their belief, all atheists should be alone on Thursday, eating cold spaghetti.”
In about four hours, we're meeting friends for a feast at a restaurant because nobody wants to cook. Our menu will be, "Waldorf salad, turkey, stuffing, cranberry, yams, pumpkin pie, wine and Kahlua for 190 pesos." That's just under fifteen bucks a head - thirty five dollars with tip. Can you blame is for preferring to go out rather than cooking ?

There is no need to thank the chicken on the stick. It's ungrateful to do so.

Fennario

#6488 Nov 22, 2012
There is no such thing as a rational religion.
Adam wrote:
I think deism is the closest thing they have to rational.
Agreed. It's also the closest thing they have to atheism.

Fennario

#6489 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
As I mentioned to you once before, I'm glad you recognize your need for compassion. Atheists do indeed need compassion. Maybe someone will give it to you.
Yes. Other humanists. Not you, nor most of your kind.

That's why you won't be missed.

Fennario

#6490 Nov 22, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned
You lose.

Fennario

#6491 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
Unreal! Are they really that stupid? LOL. Totally Clueless aren't they?!
Perhaps we are stupid and clueless. But we still outmaneuver you at every turn, as Dim just noted with his whine about our "religion" being permitted in school while yours is illegal.

We win every important court battle, and your church is hemorrhaging congregants, tithes, and social clout. Why is your god so weak? Do you have a theory?

Fennario

#6492 Nov 22, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you were making generalisations. But in China and Japan, they have a high proportion of Atheism and Agnosticism.
Yes, I was. Not all Asians and Africans are unsophisiticated or religious. But those continents are more fertile grounds for passing the collection plate than the West.

Fennario

#6493 Nov 22, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again Dim is torn to shreds - you do it so well and with some panache.
No wonder he never replies to you directly.
Thanks.

I think Dim is a great name for Derek. Dime was the bovine member of Alex's gang in A Clockwork Orange, later a brutal cop: http://www.quotefully.com/movie/A%20Clockwork...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6494 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
It also lays down the difference between Atheism and Agnostic's.
Something atheist can't figure out.
So, what is an atheist?

What makes you think you know what an atheist is? Do you think that reading a definition from an apologist website gives you a deeper understanding of atheism than actual atheists?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6495 Nov 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what is an atheist?
godless trash

Location hidden

#6496 Nov 22, 2012
Helllllloooo, atheists!

Did you enjoy your plate of cold spaghetti today that you ate in silence, since you had no one to thank for anything?

Or did you thank Darwin and the science god for fraudulent evolution, lol?

Or maybe you attended worship services at the "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster"?

LMAO

"The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, while having existed in secrecy for hundreds of years, only recently came into the mainstream when this letter was published in May 2005.

With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshipers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion ...
http://www.venganza.org/about/

Location hidden

#6497 Nov 22, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed his post. But I guess you may have taken his comment out of context.
You miss everything.

Location hidden

#6498 Nov 22, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like he's been reading KK's and Pinocchio's dribble. LOL
Talk about dribble, that's all these atheists know how to post. Blah, blah, blah.

They “say” they don't bother to read the news stories and articles I post, but then they turn right around and try to dispute it, showing their transparent dishonesty.

Just ignore 95% of what they write – I do that all the time. Who are they anyway? They have no credentials.

Soooo -- I let them spend hours typing replies I never read – some of their crap goes on so long, it almost uses up all the allotted characters – and like little scientists, they even dissect and split up posts into little segments – those I skip for sure – never read one yet, lol –

They're wasting their own time, not mine.

When I read something long, it will be something I choose from sources I research. But atheist dribble --- naaahhhhh - it gets tossed out with the dirty bath water, lmao.

Location hidden

#6499 Nov 22, 2012
Has Atheism Become a Religion?

Before you dismiss the question out of hand, consider these four inter-related bits of evidence:

1) As recently reported in the New York Times, military personnel who identify themselves as "Atheists" have requested chaplains to tend to their spiritual needs.

2) The U.S. Government reports that in 2008 those identifying themselves specifically as "Atheist" composed the 18th largest group of 43 possible categories of "self-described religious identification."

3) Similarly, it's worth noting the degree to which Atheists routinely, strategically, and often vociferously position what is often described as their "secular-humanist" views against religious traditions. Read or listen to any of the celebrity Atheists of the past decade like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris and you realize that they fashion many of their arguments not against some alternative economic, political, or philosophical position but against organized religion. Religious faith is clearly their primary opponent in the contest for the intellectual allegiance of the population, which makes it hard not to conclude that they offer their views and beliefs as a viable alternative to traditional religious systems.

4) Finally -- and you probably knew this was coming -- consider all the comments made by self-identified Atheists on articles published in the Religion section of the Huffington Post. Seriously. Either Atheists have way more time on their hands than the rest of the population or they've got something to prove. This assertive, us-against-them tone (in this case, against established religion) is characteristic of new religions.(Think of the Christian gospels', especially Matthew and John, stance toward first-century Judaism, for example.) As Rabbi David Wolpe observed a few months ago, there is an astonishing garrulousness to the comments made by Atheists to posts about religion that suggest not simply a lack of interest in, or even disdain for, religion but a competitive anger directed against persons of traditional religious faith.

Taken together, these four elements suggest that Atheists regularly demonstrate attributes -- desire for spiritual sustenance, the importance of self-identification, offering their worldview as an alternative to other religious systems, and an assertive if not competitive style of engagement with other religious points of view -- usually exhibited by religious folk of all persuasions.

While Atheism as a movement doesn't have the formal structure, celebrations, or creedal dogmas of organized religions, we might at least identify Atheism as it exists today as an increasingly vibrant faith tradition.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-lose/athe...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 55 min James 231,907
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr thetruth 14,445
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 hr thetruth 25
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 hr tha Professor 1,012
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 10 hr Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 20 hr Dally Mama 3
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 20 hr Carchar king 4

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE