Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 304)

Showing posts 6,061 - 6,080 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Even Mormon churches are closing.

http://www.citysearch.com/profile/44643294/gr...

Sorry.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Church has no debt." Of Missions, Temples, and Stewardship.
President Gordon B. Hinckley

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are thousands of congregations that have different interpretations. But there are whole churches that espouse the same words and thoughts. That doesn't mean they are right, but it does help simplify the search for truth a bit.
That there is more than one, nullifies the entire concept of one all powerful god. There are clearly thousands of gods, none who has any more validity than the next one. All are the farcical tools of the spell caster, who is your only liaisons to the gods.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Once you are an LDS I read you are always one even if you leave the cult they don't remove your name from their roster.
Mormons are such idiots! Jesus came to America and there were horses all over the place! Whoops!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha haha!
<quoted text>
There is evidence that there were horses in America before Christ.
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/...

Why can't Christ have visited the Americas as the Book of Mormon claims? Christ said in the bible that he had other sheep that he needed to bring into his fold.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of hung up on that Pi thing aren't ya buddy?
People are building things using their forearms as a measuring stick and you're all hung up on the .1415....
You know you're insane right?
Nut case!
Its such a beautiful thing when you fundies admit you've lost....

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct! Non belief.
Atheist BELIEVE there is no God or Gods.
Believing in something that cannot be proven is faith. Another interchangeable word for faith is RELIGION.
Yawn....in other words, the largest religion on earth is made up of the billions of people who believe there is no Tooth Fairy.

Just stop, KJV, you're embarrassing yourself...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
..Deism is the only religion which is science friendly. The naturalistic approach to science should be encouraged because eventually by the process of elimination, it can indirectly provide evidence for a Creator and with time maybe find not only evidence of a Creator, but the Creator itself.
So what are you arguing deism now or the christian god. Which one? Cause there is a world of difference between the two.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
And, as you know, your family is planning a big party on the day they finally get rid of you.
Sick post. Lack of humanity and compassion, once again confirming that you fail as a christian.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
He grew up, was crucified, and resurrected, and when your short life has ended, he will see that you get the justice you deserve
And there is a celestial teapot orbiting between earth and mars in a celestial orbit.

Just as likely. Think about it.
oral roberts

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>And there is a celestial teapot orbiting between earth and mars in a celestial orbit.

Just as likely. Think about it.
Hail the teapot!!! Praise the holy steam and it's wisdom!!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Atheists are often people who have been wronged by religious people
Who hasn't been wronged by your church? Christians like you are the most wronged by it. You've been very badly damaged by the Christian religion.
derek4 wrote:
Atheists ... rage against people for being so stupid as to believe in a god.
Nobody cares if you believe in a god enough to rage. We chuckle.

Please feel free to keep shaking your scary chicken on the stick in the privacy of your home or church if that is what gives your life meaning. Just keep the chicken out of our lives. Nobody but you cares what the chicken thinks about gay marriage, stem cell research, school prayer, sex between consenting adults, abortion, or anything else.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
I have never read or heard an atheist argument that relied solely on logic.
Then you have never read any atheist's words. Try these:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan

“What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." – Christopher Hitchens

"Those who cavalierly reject the Theory of Evolution, as not adequately supported by facts, seem quite to forget that their own theory is supported by no facts at all." - Herbert Spencer

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Atheists have a bleak view of the universe: there is no purpose to life, no code of ethics to guide us, no comfort in tragedy and death.
I consider the universe mysterious, awesome, and worthy of reverence. Its study is a spiritual experience, filled with a sense of awe and gratitude. To you, it is "the world," a phrase that you utter sneeringly, contemptuously. You have no interest in our common world or this lives in it, just some imagined other-world and a promised afterlife. In fact, you anxiously await the destruction of the world like its a good thing.

Most atheists are secular humanists, who take ethics very seriously. From "The Affirmations of Humanism"

• We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

• We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

• We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

• We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

• We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

• We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

• We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

• We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
[Atheists] seemingly cannot present a logical point of view on the subject of religion that does not rely on distortions or attacks.
Here's one: You can't refute atheism without producing a god. Atheism is simply the refusal to accept claims about gods based on unevidenced claims about them.
derek4 wrote:
There is simply cold, brutal Darwinism, a short, meaningless existence, and then utter nothingness.
Your Christianity has deformed your thinking. There is so much more to life than you seem to be aware of. My life is rich and full, and is imbued with meaning and purpose.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
If atheism brought inner peace, everyone would embrace it (except those who enjoy being conflicted.) Instead, the majority of people embrace religion.
Nobody claims that atheism brings inner peace, although abandoning the tyranny and terrorism of hell theology goes a long way toward restoring equanimity in those tormented by it.

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
please, feel free to vituperate, argue and belittle.
Thanks.
derek4 wrote:
But understand that the religious dialogue is not advanced by shaken fists and snide asides.
What dialog? Your church has been wagging its finger at us for millennia. We'd never had a voice until now.

Derek is an excellent example of Christian dialog:

Derek wrote: "if I'm not too busy once a week or so, I read some of their longer posts, but invariably, I see nothing worthwhile, and I wonder why I wasted my time – so I then go back to my usual skim & skip, lol"

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Why are atheists so angry? Here are four reasons, none exclusive of the others:
So much for dialog, huh? You need to ASK "angry" atheists why they are angry, not TELL them.

Greta Christina is an angry atheist. She lists fifty reasons for that at http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_chris... . Here are a few:

[1] I'm angry that atheist conventions have to have extra security, including hand-held metal detectors and bag searches, because of fatwas and death threats.

[2] I'm angry that the 41st President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, said of atheists, in my lifetime, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." My President. No, I didn't vote for him, but he was still my President, and he still said that my lack of religious belief meant that I shouldn't be regarded as a citizen.

[3] I'm angry that it took until 1961 for atheists to be guaranteed the right to serve on juries, testify in court, or hold public office in every state in the country.

[4] I'm angry that women are dying of AIDS in Africa and South America because the Catholic Church has convinced them that using condoms makes baby Jesus cry.

[5] I'm angry that women are having septic abortions -- or are being forced to have unwanted children who they resent and mistreat -- because religious organizations have gotten laws passed making abortion illegal or inaccessible.

Pat Condell is also pretty pissed at your church. Here are several of his YouTubes : https://www.youtube.com/results...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
More atheists dictating their beliefs
We will when we can.

And why not? When did your church EVER not dictate its beliefs to others when it could? Are you not now trying as hard as you can to return your chicken on a stick to the schools even though it has been declared illegal and un-American?

When did your church EVER not dictate or try to dictate who people could marry, who could get an abortion, and what kind of scientific research was permissible?

Your time is almost over. When you have weakened sufficiently, you will simply be pushed aside and ignored,and humanists will redefine cultural mores.

I want your god off my money, out of my Pledge, and paying taxes for starters. And since you have no intention of compromising, we will simply "dictate" it when we can. Why shouldn't we?
derek4 wrote:
Why all this effort to protests something they say is “imaginary”?
Your church is VERY real. It needs to be shrunken down to a size where it can be "drowned in a bathtub." Who will weep for that?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Professor William Lane Craig, currently on a "Reasonable Faith" tour of Britain.
Reasonable faith? Puh-leeeese!

Craig is openly contemptuous of reason:

"[I]f in some historically contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don't think that that contraverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." . William Lane Craig

That's an amazing admission by this professional philosopher. He just said that if reason presented a compelling argument against faith, reason would just have to be ignored. He would interpret a compelling argument against him as a misinterpretation of the evidence on his part.

He assumes that time would show him that the evidence actually supported his Jesus hypothesis instead. This is the very definition of a closed mind, and such a person is unreachable.

Yet he argues as if he has a powerful mind and logic on his side. He described the relationship of faith and reason quite well. Reason has no place in his world, although he is happy to imitate it with specious argumentation.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

derek4 wrote:
“Atheist philosophers and debaters in Britain are being accused of "running shy" of debate with a Christian Philosopher and debater from the United States, Professor William Lane Craig
Craig has been used as a chew toy repeatedly in debates. He has nothing to offer except the same debunked arguments such as the cosmological and ontological arguments for a god over and again.

Furthermore, his debating tactics are considered reprehensible. Here's what vlogger thunderf00t says about Craig's debating tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch...

And here's what RationalWiki says about his debating tactics:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/William_Lane_Cra...
oral roberts

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

I'll show them how my dictates if they really want try it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,061 - 6,080 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••