Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
6,041 - 6,060 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6419
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
If atheism brought inner peace, everyone would embrace it (except those who enjoy being conflicted.) Instead, the majority of people embrace religion.
Nobody claims that atheism brings inner peace, although abandoning the tyranny and terrorism of hell theology goes a long way toward restoring equanimity in those tormented by it.

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6420
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
please, feel free to vituperate, argue and belittle.
Thanks.
derek4 wrote:
But understand that the religious dialogue is not advanced by shaken fists and snide asides.
What dialog? Your church has been wagging its finger at us for millennia. We'd never had a voice until now.

Derek is an excellent example of Christian dialog:

Derek wrote: "if I'm not too busy once a week or so, I read some of their longer posts, but invariably, I see nothing worthwhile, and I wonder why I wasted my time – so I then go back to my usual skim & skip, lol"

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6421
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
Why are atheists so angry? Here are four reasons, none exclusive of the others:
So much for dialog, huh? You need to ASK "angry" atheists why they are angry, not TELL them.

Greta Christina is an angry atheist. She lists fifty reasons for that at http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_chris... . Here are a few:

[1] I'm angry that atheist conventions have to have extra security, including hand-held metal detectors and bag searches, because of fatwas and death threats.

[2] I'm angry that the 41st President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, said of atheists, in my lifetime, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." My President. No, I didn't vote for him, but he was still my President, and he still said that my lack of religious belief meant that I shouldn't be regarded as a citizen.

[3] I'm angry that it took until 1961 for atheists to be guaranteed the right to serve on juries, testify in court, or hold public office in every state in the country.

[4] I'm angry that women are dying of AIDS in Africa and South America because the Catholic Church has convinced them that using condoms makes baby Jesus cry.

[5] I'm angry that women are having septic abortions -- or are being forced to have unwanted children who they resent and mistreat -- because religious organizations have gotten laws passed making abortion illegal or inaccessible.

Pat Condell is also pretty pissed at your church. Here are several of his YouTubes : https://www.youtube.com/results...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6422
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
More atheists dictating their beliefs
We will when we can.

And why not? When did your church EVER not dictate its beliefs to others when it could? Are you not now trying as hard as you can to return your chicken on a stick to the schools even though it has been declared illegal and un-American?

When did your church EVER not dictate or try to dictate who people could marry, who could get an abortion, and what kind of scientific research was permissible?

Your time is almost over. When you have weakened sufficiently, you will simply be pushed aside and ignored,and humanists will redefine cultural mores.

I want your god off my money, out of my Pledge, and paying taxes for starters. And since you have no intention of compromising, we will simply "dictate" it when we can. Why shouldn't we?
derek4 wrote:
Why all this effort to protests something they say is “imaginary”?
Your church is VERY real. It needs to be shrunken down to a size where it can be "drowned in a bathtub." Who will weep for that?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6423
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
Professor William Lane Craig, currently on a "Reasonable Faith" tour of Britain.
Reasonable faith? Puh-leeeese!

Craig is openly contemptuous of reason:

"[I]f in some historically contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don't think that that contraverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." . William Lane Craig

That's an amazing admission by this professional philosopher. He just said that if reason presented a compelling argument against faith, reason would just have to be ignored. He would interpret a compelling argument against him as a misinterpretation of the evidence on his part.

He assumes that time would show him that the evidence actually supported his Jesus hypothesis instead. This is the very definition of a closed mind, and such a person is unreachable.

Yet he argues as if he has a powerful mind and logic on his side. He described the relationship of faith and reason quite well. Reason has no place in his world, although he is happy to imitate it with specious argumentation.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6424
Nov 22, 2012
 
derek4 wrote:
“Atheist philosophers and debaters in Britain are being accused of "running shy" of debate with a Christian Philosopher and debater from the United States, Professor William Lane Craig
Craig has been used as a chew toy repeatedly in debates. He has nothing to offer except the same debunked arguments such as the cosmological and ontological arguments for a god over and again.

Furthermore, his debating tactics are considered reprehensible. Here's what vlogger thunderf00t says about Craig's debating tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch...

And here's what RationalWiki says about his debating tactics:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/William_Lane_Cra...
oral roberts

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6425
Nov 22, 2012
 
I'll show them how my dictates if they really want try it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6426
Nov 22, 2012
 
KJV wrote:
Atheist is a Religion.
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith -(1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
Your logic sucks. All you argued is that atheism requires faith, not that it is a religion.

And you didn't demonstrate that atheism requires faith, or is a firm belief in anything. I am an atheist, I have no such firm belief in anything for which there is no proof, and thus I have neither faith nor a religion.

Faith, and therefore religion, are irrational. Atheism is rational. There is no such thing as a rational religion.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6427
Nov 22, 2012
 
Khatru wrote:
I looked at the scripture too. There's no mention of Russia in the whole chapter. Perhaps Derek has spent a little too much time dining out with Ezekiel.
Derek is gullible and incurious. He absorbs whatever comes from the church uncritically, and readily admits that he's not interested in anything else. His mind is useless except to his priests, who, with his permission, have parasitized it and rewired it to their liking. As a result, he's now lost the ability to rescind that permission, or to recover the lost function. He's locked in.

He ought to feel demeaned to be used as a shuttle to fetch and deliver their canned apologetics. But dignity is not a Christian value, else they wouldn't grovel in a begging posture muttering to nothing, or freely admit out loud that like medieval astrologers, they believe in angels more than science.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6428
Nov 22, 2012
 
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a rational religion.
I think deism is the closest thing they have to rational. And often you will see theists make deist arguments. Many of them dont like to talk about their real christian beliefs cause they are so absurd, they are embarrassed to talk about it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6429
Nov 22, 2012
 
Khatru wrote:
Lol Scary chicken on a stick! I love it.
Thanks. Feel free to repeat it ad lib.

You might like this as well : "Chicken arise! Arise chicken! Arise!" http://www.youtube.com/watch... [5 second video of Billy Witchdoctor DOT com giving his life a moral foundation by shaking the scary chicken on a stick]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6430
Nov 22, 2012
 
Khatru wrote:
ever the hypocrite, when it suits him, Derek will try and use science to explain away biblical errors and contradictions.
Detestable. I think he should volunteer to live without science and technology.

But he doesn't, which belies the sincerity of his claims that science is unreliable. He relies on it when he drive, when flies, or when he takes an antibiotic. His life is testimony to his trust and reliance on the philosophy and methods of science, the same ones that disprove his bible.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6431
Nov 22, 2012
 
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sick post. Lack of humanity and compassion, once again confirming that you fail as a christian.
As I mentioned to you once before, I'm glad you recognize your need for compassion. Atheists do indeed need compassion. Maybe someone will give it to you.

You should keep in tune with what is going on in the forum and you would understand why my comment was sent to a “sick” person [Khatru] who “out of respect” attends the funeral of his / her deceased relative, and on the very day of the funeral,[Khatru] joked about worms burrowing in and out of the eye sockets.

So if you are so concerned about what is “sick”, you should have addressed your comments to Khatru. I notice you did not – so apparently you're not concerned about his / her “illness”.

Also, you should be concerned about the sickness and repulsion of atheism.

Next time, be honest, or be silent.

LMAO

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6432
Nov 22, 2012
 
The atheist’s Thanksgiving dilemma

“Thankfulness is one of the distinguishing traits of the human spirit. We sense the need to say thanks, and we realize we ought to be more grateful than we are. We furthermore perceive that we are indebted to (and accountable to) a higher power than ourselves — the God who made us. According to Scripture, everyone has this knowledge, including those who refuse to honor God or thank Him.

Ingratitude is dishonorable by anyone’s reckoning, but to be willfully ungrateful toward the Creator is to deny an essential aspect of our own humanity. The shame of such ingratitude is inscribed on the human conscience, and even the most dogmatic atheists are not immune from the knowledge that they ought to give thanks to God. Try as they might to suppress or deny the impulse,“what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them,” according to Romans 1:19.

continued:

“...Richard Dawkins admitted that when he looks at the Milky Way or the Grand Canyon, he is overcome by a profound feeling of thankfulness.“It’s a feeling of sort of an abstract gratitude that I am alive to appreciate these wonders,” he said.“When I look down a microscope it’s the same feeling. I am grateful to be alive to appreciate these wonders.”

To whom does an atheist like Mr. Dawkins express such gratitude?

continued:

One atheist has practically made a hobby of writing articles to explain why atheists feel the need to be thankful and to answer the question of whom they might thank. His best answer? He says atheists can be grateful to farmers for the food we eat, to doctors for the health we enjoy, to engineers for the advantages of modern technology, to city workers for keeping our environment clean and orderly — and so on.

Here’s the problem with that: Tipping the waitress or tipping one’s hat to sanitation workers doesn’t even come close to resolving the problem of whom Mr. Dawkins should thank when he looks at the stars, stands at the edge of the Grand Canyon, or studies the world of countless wonders his microscope reveals in a single drop of pond water.

Of course, we ought to be thankful on a human level to people who help make our lives better. But if thanking people exhausts your sense of blessedness and satisfies that “sort of … abstract gratitude” you feel when pondering the vastness of the universe, you have already suppressed your own conscience to a frightening degree. Your worldview is spiritually bankrupt.”
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/...

[Thank the waitress and the garbage collectors for the Grand Canyon, lol.]

[gobble, gobble, gobble!!!]

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6433
Nov 22, 2012
 
Thanksgiving Day, 2012

“Perhaps it's passé to do a Thanksgiving Day post about thanksgiving. I mean, everyone does it, don't they? We know how it works. You're thankful. Yadda, yadda, yadda. And, being somewhat of a latent nonconformist, I might agree. However, coming here at the tail end of the election results with so many dark portends and rising fears and concerns, I thought that perhaps thanksgiving at Thanksgiving would be just what the doctor ordered. You know: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" (Phil 4:6). I've let my request be made known to God. I think some thanksgiving is in order.

First, in all the standard lines about giving thanks, it is so often unsaid to whom you are grateful. "I'm grateful for ..." is all well and good, but atheists celebrate Thanksgiving Day as well as believers. They're just not grateful to the same provider. So let me say up front and without equivocation that what I'm grateful for I'm grateful to God for. So while I'm grateful for the income, for instance, that comes from my job, I recognize that it ultimately is provided by God. While I'm thankful for my wife who is kind and loving and gives me so much and does so much for me, I recognize that it is all ultimately provided by God.

I am, then, grateful for lots of the "ordinary" things. You know. Enough to eat, a comfortable place to live, the clothes on my back, a job, a great family, a good church, all that stuff. I have a very pleasant life and I am very thankful for it. It is, in fact, so "ordinary" that sometimes it's easy to forget to be grateful, so I acknowledge that, repent of that error, and once again thank God for all that He has so graciously provided in those things. In, oh, so many ways, God has been very, very good to me. Mine is an extraordinarily pleasant life.

Beyond the ordinary, however, I'm grateful for the "unusual". I'm grateful for the blood condition that requires constant medication and monitoring. I cannot be complacent. I cannot fail to pay attention to what I eat or do. It's a good thing, a "weakness" that is a gift from God to remind me to be always and utterly dependent on Him. Thank you, God.

I'm thankful that God has put Barry Obama back in the White House. Not because I expect pleasant things. Indeed, I don't. Not because it reflects well on my nation. Indeed, it doesn't. But I am grateful because in all situations God is in charge, God works all things after the counsel of His will, and God will always does good. That may mean comfort or judgment. It will mean what's best.

I'm grateful primarily for my God Himself. Good times or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, blessings or problems, I can always be confident that He will do what's right. There is always purpose and always good in God's works and plans. When times don't look so good and circumstances look bleak, it's good to have a God I can trust. For that I am immensely grateful.”
http://birdsoftheair.blogspot.com/2012/11/tha...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6434
Nov 22, 2012
 
“They Did Not Honor Him as God, or Give Thanks”

“A haunting question is this: How do atheists observe Thanksgiving? I can easily understand that an atheist or agnostic would think of fellow human beings and feel led to express thankfulness and gratitude to all those who, both directly and indirectly, have contributed to their lives. But what about the blessings that cannot be ascribed to human agency? Those are both more numerous and more significant, ranging from the universe we experience to the gift of life itself.

Can one really be thankful without being thankful to someone? It makes no sense to express thankfulness to a purely naturalistic system. The late Stephen Jay Gould, an atheist and one of the foremost paleontologists and evolutionists of his day, described human life as “but a tiny, late-arising twig on life’s enormously arborescent bush.” Gould was a clear-headed evolutionist who took the theory of evolution to its ultimate conclusion — human life is merely an accident, though a very happy accident for us. Within that worldview, how does thankfulness work?

[Mr. Gould was probably an accident, lol.....]

So have a very Happy Thanksgiving — and remember that giving thanks is one of the most explicitly theological acts any human can contemplate. O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting [1 Chronicles 16:34]. Give thanks.
http://www.albertmohler.com/2009/11/25/they-d...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6435
Nov 22, 2012
 
Re-posting the below regarding the atheist religion. This is a closed topic, already addressed numerous times. Atheist prayers, atheist churches, an atheist bible, and so on.

Atheism: A religion

Atheism is the belief that there is no god. According to the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

“Atheism is the position that affirms the non-existence of God. It proposes positive disbelief rather than mere suspension of belief.”

continue to conclusion:

Conclusion

“Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.

Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.

The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.

Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government.”
http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6436
Nov 22, 2012
 
George Washington's Thanksgiving Day Message To Atheists, Humanists, and Other Americans

(Issued by President George Washington in 1789)

“Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor; and whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint Committee, requested me to recommend to the people of the United States a day of Public Thanksgiving and Prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday, the twenty-sixth of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the Beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks for his kind care and protection of the people of this country, previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union and plenty which we
have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish Constitutions of Government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors, which he has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also, that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private institutions, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good
governments, peace and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science, among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.”

(Taken from Linton, Ralph and Adelin. We Gather Together: The Story of
Thanksgiving [New York: Henry Schuman, 1949] 84-86.)
http://www.eternalsalvation.org/George%20Wash... 's%20Thanksgiving%20Day%20Mess age%20To%20Atheists,%20Humanis ts,%20and%20Other%20Americans. html

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6437
Nov 22, 2012
 
Khatru wrote:
Will the baby Jesus weep again?
No.

The little tyke is missing, and I'm afraid he's met with foul play. The the Viking Ice Giants got him. I think this one did it: http://www.galesgifts.com/images/_products/ga...

Everywhere you look, creches are being replaced by scenes of the North Pole. Camels have been replaced by reindeer. The sand is now snow, flocking and tinsel.

The Magi have been supplanted by elves. Joseph and Mary are now Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And Satan became the Grinch. Jehovah has been replaced by Santa and his list of naughty.

Solemn hymns like "Silent Night" and "The First Noel" have been replaced by the more popular "Jingle Bells" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

Yes, Jesus is completely missing from Xmas now.

Pat Robertson and Bill O'Reilly are tantruming at humanists about waging war on their holiday, but that sleigh has sailed. It's no longer their holiday. The pagans have already reclaimed it and turned into a secular holiday.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule#Germanic_Pa... , in the section entitled "German paganism," it states that "Yule was an indigenous midwinter festival celebrated by the Germanic peoples, absorbed into celebrations surrounding Christmas over time with Christianization."

I disagree. Xmas was absorbed into Yule.

Amazingly, most Christians don't seem to have noticed, or don't care. They just join us in putting up holly wreaths, hanging mistletoe, decorating trees and homes in lights, and exchanging gift before a burning yule log in honor of the winter solstice.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6438
Nov 22, 2012
 
REF: Post 6436 [George Washington]

Correction to link:

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/documents/thanks...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 224,606
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 2 hr CunningLinguist 29
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr NightSerf 258
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 4 hr CunningLinguist 229
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 5 hr CunningLinguist 70,963
Introducing The Universal Religion 11 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 11 hr Patrick 397
•••
•••