Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#6357 Nov 21, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist is a Religion.
Christian is a primate.

I love random thoughts put into words.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6358 Nov 21, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I do?
Or maybe I slap you or them with their own science claim. That goes against you or the others idiots claiming you're wrong.
I don't have say a thing. You atheist can't even get it straight.
See KK I don't have join your religion to quote it.
Can someone translate what he said to English please?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#6359 Nov 21, 2012
So an atheist says I don't know it means they have list the debate? Saying We don't know at this time sounds better than blindly chalking everything up to Santa in the sky. Shock of God Derek? The loser who never answers a straight question is your source? Are you that effing stupid? Apparently.

Sigh.
derek4 wrote:
Atheist Matt Dillahunty loses debate says “he doesn’t know” lol
http://www.yasradio.com/atheist-matt-dillahun...
[Dejected atheist caught on tape dreadfully losing the debate – how embarrassing for him, lol.]
[“There is no enduring truth in atheism.”]
[There's no truth of ANY kind in atheism.]

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6360 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So an atheist says I don't know it means they have list the debate? Saying We don't know at this time sounds better than blindly chalking everything up to Santa in the sky. Shock of God Derek? The loser who never answers a straight question is your source? Are you that effing stupid? Apparently.
Sigh.
<quoted text>
It would not surprise me if he was Shock of God, he's just as mindless.

Lexington, KY

#6362 Nov 21, 2012
All shock of dog does is mimic the stale old Hovind way of trying to prove God by asking deliberately confusing questions or questions that are unknown to some extent or berating and insulting a person and then jumping up and down screaming see God is real!

So we don't know what happened 1 second before the Big Bang? Haha! That proves Jesus was God and Hell is real!

Sigh
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It would not surprise me if he was Shock of God, he's just as mindless.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6363 Nov 21, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian is a primate.
I love random thoughts put into words.
Yes, we noticed you put random words together. LMAO

Location hidden

#6364 Nov 21, 2012
“Question: "What were the Christian crusades?"

Answer: The crusades have provided some of the most frequent arguments against the Christian faith. Some Islamic terrorists even claim that their terrorist attacks are revenge for what Christians did in the crusades. So, what were the crusades and why are they viewed as such a big problem for the Christian faith?

First of all, the crusades should not be referred to as the “Christian crusades.” Most of the people involved in the crusades were not truly Christians, even though they claimed to be. The name of Christ was abused, misused, and blasphemed by the actions of many of the crusaders. Second, the crusades took place from approximately A.D. 1095 to 1230. Should the unbiblical actions of supposed Christians hundreds of years ago still be held against Christians today?

Third, not that this is an adequate excuse, but Christianity is not the only religion with a violent past. In actuality, the crusades were responses to Muslim invasions on what was once land occupied primarily by Christians. From approximately A.D. 200 to 900, the land of Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Syria, and Turkey was inhabited primarily by Christians. Once Islam became powerful, Muslims invaded these lands and brutally oppressed, enslaved, deported, and even murdered the Christians living in those lands. In response, the Roman Catholic Church and “Christian” kings/emperors from Europe ordered the crusades to reclaim the land the Muslims had taken. The actions that many so-called Christians took in the crusades were still deplorable. There is no biblical justification for conquering lands, murdering civilians, and destroying cities in the name of Jesus Christ. At the same time, Islam is not a religion that can speak from a position of innocence in these matters.

To summarize briefly, the crusades were attempts in the 11th through 13th centuries A.D. to reclaim land in the Middle East that had been conquered by Muslims. The crusades were brutal and evil. Many people were forced to “convert” to Christianity. If they refused, they were put to death. The idea of conquering a land through war and violence in the name of Christ is completely unbiblical. Many of the actions that took place in the crusades were completely antithetical to everything the Christian faith stands for.

How can we respond when, as a result of the crusades, the Christian faith is attacked by atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and those of other religions? We can respond in the following ways: 1) Do you want to be held accountable for the actions of people who lived 900+ years ago? 2) Do you want to be held accountable for the actions of everyone who claims to represent your faith? Trying to blame all of Christianity for the crusades is analogous to blaming all Muslims for Islamic terrorism.”
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-crusade...

Location hidden

#6365 Nov 21, 2012
The Crusades

“First of all, what were the Crusades? I suppose you could refer to them as "Holy Wars". They took place from approximately 1095 - 1230 AD in lands such as Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Syria, and Turkey. People who claimed to be followers of Jesus Christ put to death people who wouldn't accept a forced conversion to Christianity. Basically, convert or die, an unbiblical concept. These Crusades were evil and brutally violent.

As a Christian, how would I respond to this criticism of proposed followers of Christ acting in such a way? Truth be told, the Crusades were actually a response to Islamic advancement. Muslims, to gain strength, influence and followers, would invade what were predominantly Christian countries and oppose, enslave or even murder Christians. I'm not justifying all of the responsive actions committed by the "Christians", but the Crusades began as a response to Islamic aggression. The fact is, there is no Biblical justification for the violent reclaiming of land.

Moreover, there is a Biblical concept that I will call "true and false conversion". In other words, not everyone who claims to be a Christian, is one. See "The Parable of the Sower" Matthew 13 "The Parable of the Net" also Matthew 13, and "The Parable of the 10 Virgins" Matthew 25. See also my page The Church Is Full Of Hypocrites.

continued:

More importantly, don't besmirch the name of Jesus Christ because some people who claim to follow Him act out unbiblically on their own. If you are an atheist, it would be similar to me making a judgment on your character based on the acts of Joseph Stalin. Even though he acted consistently with the worldview of true atheism.

The Crusades were inconsistent with the teachings of Christ.

Lastly, I find it interesting that critics of Christianity have to go back 800 years to point to the Crusades to make their objection. By contrast, we can see the horrific fruits of atheism in just the last 100 years. As bad as the Crusades were, they don't compare with the bloodshed of the 20th Century, the bloodiest century in all of history.”
http://bringingtruth.com/Objections/WhatAbout...

Location hidden

#6366 Nov 21, 2012
Is Christianity to be blamed for the crusades? The ‘New Atheists’ would have you believe that it did. But when you look at the historical facts about the brutal war you will find that Christianity had almost nothing to do with it.

For example Steven Runican the author of the largest medieval verdict on the crusades writes,‘the Holy War is a long act of intolerance in the name of God, which is the sin against the Holy Ghost.’

Christianity, according to Runican, was used as an ideology for war, material gain and social status, which has nothing to do with Christianity. This is no where more clear than in The Latin translation of the bible which makes a distinction between a private war and a public one, the former being adopted in the bible and the latter never used. What’s more the term ‘Just War’ never appears within the bible and was borrowed by Aristotle whom first coined the phrase ‘Just War’ in his work ‘Politics.’

The abuse of Christianity to promote unjust power hierarchy is most clearly illustrated when Christianity went to Rome after the conversion of Constantine. It became clear that their protector, Rome, was synonymous with Christian Peace. Henceforth there became a distinction between the Christian clergy being exempt from war and Christian laity being encouraged to fight for the Christian empire, again a sad misrepresentation of true Christianity.

Perhaps the strongest reason why the ‘New Atheists’ attribute Christianity to the Crusades is because Christianity’s figure heads at the time, Pope Leo IV (847-855) & Pope John VIII (872 -882) offered penitential indulgences for those who fought and died ‘for the truth of the Faith the salvation of souls and defence of Christendom against pagans and infidels.’[2] But figureheads sometimes misrepresent Christianity and have done so here. What was really happening at the time of the Crusades is that the reforming Popes sought to claim control over not just all the churches but also over states and laymen. This move invited opposition, which resulted in the direct physical violence with temporal weapons; this lead directly to the first Crusade. Accounts of pope Urban’s speech for the first Crusade reveals that he offered material gain if one went to war.

Pope Gregory the VII was one of the most militant Popes who furthered the cause of a Holy War. His favourite verse Jeremiah 48:10 gave a moral argument to war. A Holy and Just war was based on loyalty to a Lord, defence of the vulnerable and defence of the Church. But this verse can never be used to justify going to war in a brutal fashion.

War was not a fundamental part of the Christian faith, however with Islam it was. There are two types of Jihad, the spiritual and the military, but there is only the spiritual with Christianity.

So why do many aggressive Atheists want to blame Christianity for the Crusades? Who can say? But what is clear is that the facts do not support such a conclusion and therefore the Atheists needs to look at his/her own motivation for such misguided attacks, are they just a misguided as the Crusaders were?”
http://christianityversusatheism.blogspot.com...

[“So why do many aggressive Atheists want to blame Christianity for the Crusades?”--- They use the crusades falesly as an excuse to reject God.]

Location hidden

#6367 Nov 21, 2012
Why did Stalin close the churches in the U.S.S.R.?

Josef Stalin was an atheist who saw believers as a threat to his power.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_Stalin_clos... .

“... in 1934, a rival of Stalin’s – Kirov – was assassinated in Moscow. Although many historians believe that Stalin ordered the killing, he used it as the excuse to begin the ‘Great Purges’. Twenty million people were put to death. In 1937 the commander-in-chief of the army and 7 generals were shot. In 1938 all the admirals and half the Army officers were executed or sent to the gulag (the system of concentration camps). Political opponents were put in great ‘Show Trials’, where they admitted to impossible ‘crimes’ against Stalin. Church leaders were imprisoned and churches closed down, and the Muslim faith was persecuted. All areas of the USSR were ‘russified’ and national differences were forbidden. Ordinary people who were accused by a nasty neighbour were carried off to the gulag. Instead, apparatchiks (party members) got the new flats, jobs and holidays.”
http://www.johndclare.net/Basics_Russia.htm

Location hidden

#6368 Nov 21, 2012
The Black Book of Communism

Estimated number of victims

In the introduction, editor Stéphane Courtois states that "...Communist regimes... turned mass crime into a full-blown system of government". He claims that a death toll totals 94 million. The breakdown of the number of deaths given by Courtois is as follows:
65 million in the People's Republic of China
20 million in the Soviet Union
2 million in Cambodia
2 million in North Korea
1.7 million in Africa
1.5 million in Afghanistan
1 million in the Communist states of Eastern Europe
1 million in Vietnam
150,000 in Latin America (mainly Cuba)
10,000 deaths "resulting from actions of the international Communist movement and Communist parties not in power."[4]

“... Communist regimes are responsible for a greater number of deaths than any other political ideal or movement, including Nazism. The statistics of victims includes executions, famine, deaths resulting from deportations, physical confinement, or through forced labor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Book_o...

[Communism - the atheistic regimes - responsible for the deaths of 94 million people.]

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6369 Nov 21, 2012
Now Derek is posting a bunch of conspiracy nuttery. I'd wager he believes in reptile people too.

Lexington, KY

#6370 Nov 21, 2012
That's why it's best to ignore his copy and paste off topic spam. He is like the Christian Muq.

Pathetic.
KittenKoder wrote:
Now Derek is posting a bunch of conspiracy nuttery. I'd wager he believes in reptile people too.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6371 Nov 21, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>... and there are whole other congregations, who don't.
Look right past those two examples and you will find literally thousands more congregations who might agree with just a word here and a thought there, but they won't be the same words or the same thought that the very next congregations are going to ascribe to.
In fact somewhere in all that mess you will find that every single word and thought will have someone lauding it's veracity, but you won't find two who would espouse the same words and thoughts.
Yes, there are thousands of congregations that have different interpretations. But there are whole churches that espouse the same words and thoughts. That doesn't mean they are right, but it does help simplify the search for truth a bit.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6372 Nov 21, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
How is Derek's information related to a conspiracy?

Lexington, KY

#6373 Nov 21, 2012
Those congregations are dwindling as churches owe at an all time high rate. I have an idea! Pay people to go to your church and then charge smart people a fee to walk around and enjoy the backwards ancient thinking spectacle!

Us smart people can walk around with a tour guide taking pictures of you freaks and laughing at you as the tour guide explains, yes these people believe Yahweh created all and is the supreme being yet he didn't realize Adam might want some poon every once In a while! The tour laughs and looks forward to buying something at the gift shop on the way out.

Yes it may be a bit disturbing to your church services but it would provide desperately needed revenue!

Think about it this could be the answer to your prayers!
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are thousands of congregations that have different interpretations. But there are whole churches that espouse the same words and thoughts. That doesn't mean they are right, but it does help simplify the search for truth a bit.
KJV

United States

#6374 Nov 21, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>I forgot about that one, KJV – it goes back a ways, but I still have it saved somewhere. Thanks for bringing it back.
It was to good to let go. I had to save it.
KJV

United States

#6375 Nov 21, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Why do atheists lose debates?

“I've seen a few atheists on the internet discuss why their side typically loses debates against theists, and they offer some theories, including the lack time to clarify their positions, their presentation of a weak case, etc. I must say, as a theist, these sound like pretty lame excuses.”

continued:

“Atheists just have an inadequate worldview. That's the best explanation for why their arguments are so quickly and easily defeated. Since the demise of the logical argument from evil, atheism is an untenable case. Sure, some atheists try to show that the concept of God is incoherent, but they've never been able to construct a convincing argument, and the probabilistic problem of evil is too presumptuous. At best, if atheists were successful in tearing down all of the classical theistic arguments for God, the only rationally justifiable position to take would be soft agnosticism, as hard agnosticism is also very presumptuous. How do you know that no one can know about God? How can you say you can't know anything about God, because saying that is positing a knowledge claim about God!”
http://www.thinkinggodsthoughts.com/2010/09/w...

[Powerful – great author, great points!!!!- Glad to share it with you.]
Thanks for sharing it.
KJV

United States

#6376 Nov 21, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we noticed you put random words together. LMAO
Lol. Yes we do!

LMAO
KJV

United States

#6377 Nov 21, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>How is Derek's information related to a conspiracy?
She doesn't have a clue she just felt the need to say something meaningless. That's her/his style.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Thinking 227,426
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Thinking 20
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 22,140
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 7 hr Patrick 189
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Jaimie 71
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Patrick 42
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 18 hr Patrick n Angela 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••