Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#6273 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The earth's shape is a spheroid
Although the earth's shape is technically an ellipsoid, its major and minor axes do not vary greatly. In fact, its shape is so close to a sphere that it is often called a spheroid rather than an ellipsoid.
This is a horrible mess of misinformation. For starters, a spheroid is an ellipsoid.

"To simplify the model, various spheroids or ellipsoids have been devised. These terms are used interchangeably. For the remainder of this article, the term spheroid will be used."
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/tech...

"A spheroid, or ellipsoid of revolution is a quadric surface obtained by rotating an ellipse about one of its principal axes; in other words, an ellipsoid with two equal semi-diameters. If the ellipse is rotated about its major axis, the result is a prolate (elongated) spheroid, like an American football or rugby ball. If the ellipse is rotated about its minor axis, the result is an oblate (flattened) spheroid, like a lentil. If the generating ellipse is a circle, the result is a sphere."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheroid

Next, as you can see from the above, as the lengths of major and minor axes of the ellipse of revolution defining the resulting spheroid converge toward equal lengths, and the foci approach one another and overlap, the ellipse degenerates into a circle. The resulting three dimensional spheroid generated becomes more spherical, the limit of which is a perfect sphere. Now, let's look at your comment again:

"In fact, its shape is so close to a sphere that it is often called a spheroid rather than an ellipsoid."

Even an extremely elongated, cigar-shaped ellipse generates a spheroid, which as noted, is a synonym for ellipsoid.

You Christians should read a book besides your bibles.

Fennario

#6274 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
[The Bible teaches the earth is a sphere too, but the Bible doesn't waste as much time babbling on and on about it as scientists do. The Bible keeps things direct and to the point, not wasting time with endless chatter about these small matters.]
Your bible had to exclude technical data. It's authors had none. Their few stabs at the technical are absurd. Bats are not birds, insects do not have four legs, hares don't chew cud, and pi is not three. Your god is as unsophisticated as ancient goatherds.

And oh but no! Your bible teaches that the earth is flat, not a sphere. It is replete with references to a flat earth with edges immovably fixed by pillars below, alternately described as circular and as having four corners. The single reference to the earth not being fixed from below has it dangling. The Hebrew word for sphere, globe, or ball - "dur" - is never used in your bible to describe the earth.

Fennario

#6276 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Being as they don't like my posts, why do they read them and spend hours typing all kinds of comments about them?
I love what you post. I wouldn't call them yours, however. You just copy-and-paste them. You're merely the vector used by the authors of the canned apologetics you fetch here for them.

But I love them. Each one is another opportunity to deconstruct Christianity. By parsing them, we can emphasize how dishonest and hypocritical Christianity is.

What people don't like is you and your church, not your cut-and-pastes.
derek4 wrote:
Do they think I care? Apparently they think I read all that crap they post, lol.
I don't. I assume that you read at most 10% of what I write, and understand even less. You only read that either because your eye falls on some of my words - maybe these - and you have read them before you realize it, not out of choice. Maybe every now and again, a little curiosity returns to you and you read a large part of a post. But when you do, you curse yourself for it, and don't do so again for quite a while.

That's how it should be. If you read what I wrote about you, faith, your godlet, your bible, your religion, and your church, you'd be horrified at the parts that you could understand.

Fennario

#6277 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I pick 2 or 3 of their short posts, reply to them, and ignore the others.
I doubt that anybody cares about your replies. They're always the same, and always free of content, like the one above. Your words are useless. Go fetch another cut-and-paste.

How do you suppose other posters would feel if you promised them what you promised me - carte blanche to verbally kick you in the nuts without any blow back? Ask them.
derek4 wrote:
I don't plan to waste my time "ploughing through"
You would get as little out of it if you did as you would plowing through Chinese posts.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6278 Nov 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You atheist do this all the time it's expected! Nothing new. You're all to dense to try and come up with a be ploy
So you just use the same old tired one!
I wonder do you actually retype these messages or cut and past from old post?
I cut and past the same responses to your same stupid questions. I have them all set aside because you're all so predictable and have nothing new!
That's the best way atheists present nothing new to the forum. Funny how much work they spend on posts that go nowhere if I'm not too busy once a week or so, I read some of their longer posts, but invariably, I see nothing worthwhile, and I wonder why I wasted my time so I then go back to my usual skim & skip, lol.--- I sometimes just click go to last page, but I really don't like to do that unless I'm in a big hurry, because I don't want to miss your posts or posts of other Christians. Keep up your good work against the atheist minorities.

Location hidden

#6279 Nov 20, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I just love it when you idiots haul out the poster board, colored streamers and spotlights, and start making up signs to point out, that there is a big empty spot between your ears.
Ladies and gentlemen, KJV would like you to all acknowledge his total absence of a point. Please join me in applauding his attempt to construct a religion out of nothing. Damn what a fail. Hey KJV, at least start with a concept. You know like Christainity did, copy some Pagan stuff. But be warned we may not be as easy bent as you lot were.
Well hellllloooooo you've been away awhile I thought we lost you to the worms...... lol.

Even though you never post anything worthwhile, I always enjoy seeing those beautiful flowers in your avatar.

Oh, I've been wondering - have you learned who Darwin is yet?

(Hint: A fraudulent scientist who died in 1882)

Location hidden

#6280 Nov 20, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont see the reason why anyone would pray. Reflective meditation I guess may give some people comfort. But praying in the usual sense of the word is nonsensical.
The fact that God fails to answer prayers is proof that God is imaginary.
Praying usually takes two forms.
1) to grovel before God, heaping endless thanks and praises on him. God must surely have a weak ego to need such self indulgent toadying.
2) people asking God for stuff, blessing, healing, miracles, etc. This is basically saying God is wrong. And God should be doing something he currently is not doing. It basically saying that god is not loving or perfect. And the petitioner wants god to act in a way contrary to his supposed perfect will.
Your post is so ignorant that it's actually funny. Thanks for trying.

Matthew 7:7-11

Location hidden

#6281 Nov 20, 2012
The Unhappy Atheist

Ive never met a happy atheist.
Atheists are angry, often full of hatred. They are angry at religion and religious people, and since most people on the planet are religious, this means they are pretty much misanthropes. Atheists are often people who have been wronged by religious people, and their anger taints everything they do.
Atheists are usually intelligent; so intelligent in fact, that they think they are smarter than everyone else. Therefore they are full of arrogance, contempt and even rage against people for being so stupid as to believe in a god. They are condescending and patronizing, and their supposedly objective and intellectual criticism of religion is always laced with insults and negative emotion.
I have never read or heard an atheist argument that relied solely on logic. They use every propaganda trick in the book: straw men, exaggeration, reframing the argument, etc. They seemingly cannot present a logical point of view on the subject of religion that does not rely on distortions or attacks.
Atheists have a bleak view of the universe: there is no purpose to life, no code of ethics to guide us, no comfort in tragedy and death. There is simply cold, brutal Darwinism, a short, meaningless existence, and then utter nothingness.
If atheism brought inner peace, everyone would embrace it (except those who enjoy being conflicted.) Instead, the majority of people embrace religion.
Atheists are now attempting love and kindness, but they will tire of it. Atheists inherent sense of superiority will fill them with disgust for the weak. Atheists will burn out with no source of compassion to plug into and no well of joy from which to draw.
Atheism has nothing to offer you. Let go of your anger and your arrogance. They arent helping you.
http://thelankyprophet.wordpress.com/2012/07/...

[This is SO TRUE, lol.......love it.]

Location hidden

#6283 Nov 20, 2012
Angry Atheists [LOL]

How harmless is it to post an article about why people should read the bible on a site devoted to religion? I did on this very page, and it evoked more than 2,000 responses, most of them angry. I had previously written a similarly gentle article about how God should be taught to children that evoked more than 1,000 responses, almost all negative and many downright nasty.

It is curious that a religion site draws responses mostly from atheists, and that the atheists are very unhappy. They are unhappy with the bible ("foolish fairy tales" is one of the more generous descriptions), unhappy with the idea of God (the "imaginary dictator" whose task in human history, apparently, is to ensure that oppression and evil triumph) and very unhappy with anyone (read: me) who presumes to offer religious advice to the religious. Only the untutored assume that religious people predominate on websites (Huffington Post Religion page, On Faith in the Washington Post, Beliefnet.com ) devoted to religion.

In the past when I have debated noted atheists -- Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and others -- the audience was heavily weighted toward my opponents. That makes sense. Each of these men -- like Dawkins, Dennett and others -- brings with them a large following. But why seek out a religious site solely to insult religion? I wondered: Why are atheists so angry?

Here are four reasons, none exclusive of the others:

1 - Atheists genuinely resent the evil that religion has done. No one can seriously deny that religion has been guilty of wickedness in this world and has provided cover for wickedness. I refer not only to abusers who hide under the cloak of clergy, but religious persecutions, the stifling of speech and dissent, the mistreatment of women -- the crimes are legion. While as a believer I think there is much more to be said about this topic, it is certainly reasonable for people to be angry at religion for its abuses, particularly people who have themselves been victims.

2 - They are convinced that religion is a fairy tale made up of whole cloth that impedes science/progress/rational thought. No avalanche of counterexamples, from noted scientists who are believers to the way in which the scientific method has flourished in the monotheistic west (as opposed to say, the non-monotheistic eastern societies) will serve to dissuade. That which is understood to have happened to Galileo is all, apparently, one needs to know.

continued:

So please, feel free to vituperate, argue and belittle. But understand that the religious dialogue is not advanced by shaken fists and snide asides.....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-david-wol...

[Nasty little nit-picking atheists, lol. Angry little atheists hating themselves, hating others; just full of hate. Funny how much hate they can muster up over what they call a myth; LMAO]

Location hidden

#6284 Nov 20, 2012
The unhappy godless at work defacing property:

Utah highway crosses get a makeover

Standard-Examiner (AP): Over the past week, the 12-foot-high Roman crosses have been stripped of the brown and gold beehive-shaped logo of the Utah Highway Patrol, association attorney Frank Mylar said ...Were hoping we can keep the memorials as much intact as possible but change them so that it complies with the (court), Mylar said.They really feel strongly that that without the cross theres no memorial.
http://www.alliancealert.org/2011/11/21/utah-...

[Maybe communities should erect a giant statue of a flesh eating worm to commemorate atheists, lol.]

[Or construct a statue of Madalyn O'Hair. The atheists could congregate under her adulterous stone shadow to sing carols, lmao.]

Location hidden

#6285 Nov 20, 2012
More atheists dictating their beliefs:

A protest formed outside of the Historic Chester County Courthouse in West Chester on Dec. 3; held by members of the Freethinking Society. They gathered to express their disapproval of the county governments decision to prohibit the placement of their Tree of Knowledge next to Christmas symbols that encourage religion.

The Freethinking Society has been denied a display for the second year in a row. Lead by Margaret Downey, the founder and president of the Society, the groups formed a human Tree of Knowledge by crowding together and holding atheistic literature as decoration. Books such as Jesus Interrupted and Does God Exist? were among the cluster, as well as the Bible and The Book of Mormon.

Members shared how they found these religious texts to be flawed and how it actually served to enhance their atheistic views.
http://global.christianpost.com/news/atheists...

[Why all this effort to protests something they say is imaginary? The tooth fairy is imaginary, but I wouldn't bother protesting if a city erected a statue of a tooth fairy why should I care, lol? But God is seen by atheists as a threat to them. It's amazing how terrified atheists are of God.]

Location hidden

#6286 Nov 20, 2012
American Christian Philosopher and Debater 'Puts the Fear of God' in British Atheists

Atheist philosophers and debaters in Britain are being accused of "running shy" of debate with a Christian Philosopher and debater from the United States, Professor William Lane Craig, currently on a "Reasonable Faith" tour of Britain.

The latest British atheistic philosopher to be so accused is Polly Toynbee, Guardian Columnist and president of the British Humanist Association. According to reports, Toynbee had earlier accepted to debate the American Research Professor of Philosophy at the Talbot School of Theology, California on the existence of God and the debate had been scheduled to hold at the Westminster Central Hall in October. But early in the month Ms. Toynbee announced that she had changed her mind about her decision. According to Ms. Toynbee:

'I hadnt realised the nature of Mr Lane Craigs debating style, and, having now looked at his previous performances, this is not my kind of forum.'

And in response to Toynbee's apparent "chickening out," Professor William Craig commented:

'These are academic forums, where one concentrates on the arguments and counter-arguments, the truth of the premises in those arguments and objections to them, and not on personality or ad hominem attacks.'

Professor Craig, who has gained reputation as a formidable debater, has debated Atheists such as Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris ;and Sam Harris is reported to have said of Craig:

'The one Christian apologist who has put the fear of God into many of my fellow atheists.'

continued:

Craig has, however, found an atheist willing to debate him in the person of Dr. Peter Atkins, former Professor of Chemistry at Oxford. Craig will also be debating Professor Peter Millican, an atheist and Professor of Philosophy at Hertford College, Oxford University. Professor Richard Dawkins has also been invited to debate Craig in Oxford on 25 October, and the organizers have said that if Dawkins declines the invitation Craig will lecture on the weaknesses in the arguments Dawkins presented in his bestseller The God Delusion.
http://www.goddiscussion.com/73592/american-c...
KJV

United States

#6287 Nov 20, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I just love it when you idiots haul out the poster board, colored streamers and spotlights, and start making up signs to point out, that there is a big empty spot between your ears.

Ladies and gentlemen, KJV would like you to all acknowledge his total absence of a point. Please join me in applauding his attempt to construct a religion out of nothing. Damn what a fail. Hey KJV, at least start with a concept. You know like Christainity did, copy some Pagan stuff. But be warned we may not be as easy bent as you lot were.
Atheist is a Religion.

Religion

Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion

faith\ˈfāth\
noun

b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Atheism

Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.

Hence - Atheism = Religion
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6288 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is so ignorant that it's actually funny. Thanks for trying.
Matthew 7:7-11
No its true, God does not answer prayer. Why should he? After all. All Christians are doing by praying is saying "God, you are wrong. DOnt do what you are doing. Do what I want instead." Cant you see how blasphemous that is? Think about it.
KJV

United States

#6289 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>That's the best way – atheists present nothing new to the forum. Funny how much work they spend on posts that go nowhere – if I'm not too busy once a week or so, I read some of their longer posts, but invariably, I see nothing worthwhile, and I wonder why I wasted my time – so I then go back to my usual skim & skip, lol.--- I sometimes just click “go to last page”, but I really don't like to do that unless I'm in a big hurry, because I don't want to miss your posts or posts of other Christians. Keep up your good work against the atheist minorities.
Thank you and I enjoy you posts of facts. Keep it up buddy!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6290 Nov 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
That describes Christians perfectly. They believe stuff without evidence, and ignore evidence which contradicts their beliefs.

Where we differ is the free thinkers here are critical of supernatural claims, and question bizarre claims and magical thinking. That is how to think rationally.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6291 Nov 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist is a Religion.
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
Does that mean I also belong to the Church of AntiUnicornians?

Because, even though I can't prove it, I don't believe unicorns are real.

We'll wait.
KJV

United States

#6292 Nov 20, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Does that mean I also belong to the Church of AntiUnicornians?

Because, even though I can't prove it, I don't believe unicorns are real.

We'll wait.
http://www.livescience.com/3980-mystery-unico...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6293 Nov 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
I don't click on random links. Answer the question or concede.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6294 Nov 20, 2012
KJV wrote:
Oh, now you accept evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 26 min Igor Trip 510
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 30 min NightSerf 29
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 52 min Chimney1 358
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 227,993
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Eman 22,519
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 11 hr cancer suxs 5
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Thinking 140
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE