Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
KJV

United States

#6252 Nov 19, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist minorities always have to help one another, lol.

Being as they don't like my posts, why do they read them and spend hours typing all kinds of comments about them? Do they think I care? Apparently they think I read all that crap they post, lol.

I pick 2 or 3 of their short posts, reply to them, and ignore the others. It works best that way. I don't plan to waste my time "ploughing through" (as my dear friend Khatru would say) their long whining posts. I don't know them, and I've already learned long ago they have no credibility.

LMAO
LMAO!
KJV

United States

#6253 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Someone wake me up when Derek starts thinking.
No the suns not down yet! You might burn up!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#6254 Nov 19, 2012
We would have to medically induce you into a coma for that to be a viable option dear.
KittenKoder wrote:
Someone wake me up when Derek starts thinking.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#6255 Nov 19, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So being grown up one should not believe in or celebrate Christmas?
Let me remind you if some numbers dealing with grown ups!
2.3% what a joke your religion is!
You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population is at 2.3%.
That means that 97.7% of your congregation has left your faith!!
WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.7%!!!!!!!
Do you realize how many people that is?
Man your not just losing them at that rate there running from you! LMFAO
I just love it when you idiots haul out the poster board, colored streamers and spotlights, and start making up signs to point out, that there is a big empty spot between your ears.

Ladies and gentlemen, KJV would like you to all acknowledge his total absence of a point. Please join me in applauding his attempt to construct a religion out of nothing. Damn what a fail. Hey KJV, at least start with a concept. You know like Christainity did, copy some Pagan stuff. But be warned we may not be as easy bent as you lot were.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#6256 Nov 19, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm look at these numbers!
2.3% of all atheist retrain their believes
The rest wake up.
retrain their believes? Tell me you meant something by that.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#6257 Nov 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude. Your commandment to not steal? You stole it from the Jews.
Christian ethics are inadequate. The first forty percent of your Ten Commandments is dedicated to feeding your god's enormous ego. They're all about him and his endless need.
And ours make your look even more ridiculous. Your Ten Commandments don't even mention such ethical ideals as justice, compassion, tolerance, helping the weak and disadvantaged, egalitarianism, democracy, freedom, integrity, or courage. Instead, one is dedicated to honoring your parents.
GTFOOH with your shabby "ethics." Obedience under threat of eternal torture isn't ethical behavior anyway.
Great post! A perfect demonstration of how just one atheist can make more sense than a thousand Christians.

The Ten Commandments are indeed, a joke.

"Honour thy father and mother" Jehovah says.

Man, what a dumb deity he is.

What if you father is Josef Fritzl? I'm sure you remember him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

Do Christians honestly believe that Fritzl's daughters should still honour that man? If they do then that proves just how degenerate their sense of morality actually is.

If, however, they admit that it doesn't apply in this particular case then it's hardly an absolute rule.

Which makes a mockery of their deity.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#6258 Nov 19, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"We find God to be sadistic, brutal and a representation of hatred."
Your god is a mythological creature, like a Cyclops. People that choose to express their hatred through that avatar are the problem.

Fennario

#6259 Nov 19, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists have shorter life span.
“The oldest group of people in the country is a community of Seventh Day Adventists residing in Loma Linda, California.
This community of Christians - the Branch Davidians - didn't live very long. Here's an interview with Davis Koresh just before he, his minions, and their children went up in flames:

Fennario

#6260 Nov 20, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Sometimes I read a scripture that describes Jehovah's murderous actions. The myth of the flood is a classic example. Satan himself wouldn't commit such an evil act.
Satan is a piker compared to Jehovah.

Have you seen this one?:

“According to Samuel, David took a census of the people. This excited the wrath of Jehovah, and as a punishment he allowed David to choose seven years of famine, a flight of three months from pursuing enemies, or three days of pestilence. David, having confidence in God, chose the three days of pestilence; and thereupon, God, the compassionate, on account of the sin of David, killed seventy thousand innocent men. Under the same circumstances, what would a devil have done?”- Robert Green Ingersoll

Jehovah is the most monstrous creature in all of fiction. As far as I know, no other character sterilized the earth twice and then destroyed the planet.

According to legend, how many of us has Jehovah killed by his own hand? It's in the millions - two-and-a-half million that are enumerated, plus untold numbers of others in the flood and other disasters without death counts. And he ordered dozens of genocides. Just ask the Hittites, the Hivites, the Perizzites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Girgashites, the Canaanites, and the Jebusites.

Satan's death count is ten. Not ten thousand. Ten.
Reference: "Who has killed more, Satan or God?" http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.mx/2009/0...

And Lord Jehovah has promised to kill billions more in a fiery apocalypse. And that's just human beings. How many puppies and kittens died slow, agonizing, terrifying deaths during that flood, as the water levels crept up, stealing their breath? What kind of a monster does that to innocents that he could have magically poofed away instead?

That by itself would qualify Jehovah for that title - worst monster in all of fiction. But wait - there's more, much more. Throw this in: this creature also built a torture chamber, and will preserve the souls of those humans beings that didn't grovel before it and praise its massive ego so that they can suffer agonizingly forever, and to no apparent benefit to anybody. This creature is way over the top as the worst monster in all of fiction, wouldn't you agree?

But I'm not done. Throw in that he created another god - an evil god - and set it loose on mankind beginning with the very first pair - innocent babes, to whom he gave a sin nature, free will, and desire. This lieutenant of Jehovah's, who was allowed to deceive man and steal his paradise has allegedly been stealing souls ever since, blinding people to their salvation, which increases the hell-bound fraction considerably. Satan is nothing without Jehovah.

There's more. To help Satan and his deception, Jehovah apparently filled the earth with deceptions like fossils and ERVs to trip man up, and reason, and left behind an utterly unbelievable book.

This god is the most sadistic, ferocious, and unjust creature in all of fiction by several orders of magnitude. And Christians describe him as perfect love.

Fennario

#6261 Nov 20, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians lie when they say they get their morals from the their god or the Bible.
Ask a Christian to share some biblical ethics and they will always opt for what they think are nice ethics while ignoring the less savoury ones.
Pat Condell says it best:
"Religious people often say that atheists have no morals because they have no moral guide. If you believe this, let me ask you something.
If you're a Christian, chances are the Bible is your moral guide, but is that all the Bible, or just some of it? It's just the good bits, isn't it? The bits you've cherrypicked because obviously if you wanted to live in a Leviticus-style society where people are stoned or mutilated for insane and trivial reasons, you could simply move to Iran.
But how do you decide which are the good bits and which are the bad in the Bible? What do you use as a moral guide? The Bible? Well, surely not. If so, you would simply accept the bad along with the good, which is clearly what the Bible wants you to do, otherwise the bad wouldn't be in there in the first place, would it? But no, you don't do that. You defy the Bible. You sift out the bad and discard it for the ignorant primitive barbarism it is. In short, you edit the Bible to suit your own sensibilities.
So where do you get the moral guidance to impose your authority on the word of the Bible? It has to come from a higher source, doesn't it?(These things usually do.) And it does, of course. It comes from you. You are a higher source than the Bible, a much higher source. The criminals who run religion don't want you to know or to act upon this because then their influence over you would be zero. Yet the evidence is clear. You sifted the good from the bad in the Bible without the Bible's help. You did it against the Bible's will, and you did it all on your own because, whether you like it or not, you have a conscience, which means that you are capable of distinguishing good from evil without the help of scripture, and you have just proven it beyond any shadow of doubt. So, in fact, the Bible is not your moral guide. You are. It doesn't provide you with a moral compass. You do. And the only faith you need is faith in yourself.
O happy day."
That's a very helpful passage. Thanks. Saved.

Fennario

#6262 Nov 20, 2012
Nikki wrote:
I'd rather forgotten how angry and spiteful these christians are. I don't get why though, I mean they believe they are the special, chosen people, shouldn't that make them happy?
Derek is not happy. His posting reflects his frustration at his impotence to help save his church, which influence is melting away before his eyes despite his tireless effort to spam message boards in its defense.

Derek himself appears to no longer be one of us. He has been skillfully hollowed out and refitted to serve as their vector. Now he serves his priests and their agenda, railing against whomever might disagree. There doesn't appear to be a whole person in there any more.

I should feel empathy for him,but I don't. I don't know why I can't. He's a victim, isn't he? Despising him is like despising a dog that has become vicious from beatings. Dogs like that get my pity. Shouldn't Derek, too?

Fennario

#6263 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Are biblical prophecies intended to give clues to future events?
No biblical prophecy has ever allowed man to anticipate any event in history in any useful way. None of it qualifies as quality prophecy, which must meet the following criteria :

[1] It needs to be specific - that is, detailed and unambiguous. The highest quality prophecy specifies the time and place.

[2] It needs to prophesy something surprising, something unlikely or unique, something that could not have been contrived, and that was not self-fulfilling.

[3] The prophecies need to be verified, fulfilled completely, predict something that definitely occurred subsequently, and waere unaccompanied by failed prophecies.

[4] As is true for the scientists, high quality scientific knowledge in holy books that was not available at the time the books were written would count as prophecy. The knowledge must be detailed and be about something counterintuitive like relativity or quantum mechanics - not merely mentioning in the broad, vague strokes things that can in retrospect be imagined to hint at atoms, a big bang, heliocentrism or evolution. And example would be,“My disciples, I say unto thee that energy is mass times the speed of light multiplied unto itself.”

You have nothing like that.
derek4 wrote:
An Iranian nuclear attack on Israel would set the world on a course closely related to biblical descriptions of the events of the end times.
Nonsense.

Fennario

#6264 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The Hebrew Prophet Ezekiel describes a dictator called Gog (often associated with Russia) who will form a military coalition with Iran, Sudan, Libya, Middle Eastern, and Central Asian countries in “the last days”(Ezekiel 38:16).
I looked at that scripture. You're lying. There is no mention of those countries there:

"You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, O Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I show myself holy through you before their eyes."
derek4 wrote:
Could this be a reference to modern day events in the Middle East?
It could be a reference to the World Cup games.

Scientific prophecy is quality prophecy. This was written before the Higgs boson was found:

"Several physicists, including Peter Higgs, discovered a mechanism that, if added to the equations, would allow particles to have masses. This is now known as the Higgs mechanism. Integrating it into the Standard Model allowed scientists to make predictions of various quantities, including the mass of the heaviest known particle, the top quark. Experimentalists found this particle just where equations using the Higgs mechanism predicted it should be."

You have nothing to compete with that.

"According to theory, the Higgs mechanism works as a medium that exists everywhere in space. Particles gain mass by interacting with this medium. Peter Higgs pointed out that the mechanism required the existence of an unseen particle, which we now call the Higgs boson. The Higgs boson is the fundamental component of the Higgs medium, much as the photon is the fundamental component of light. The Higgs boson is the only particle predicted by the Standard Model that has not yet been seen by experiments." http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/higgs-...

You know how this story ends. The scientists' prophecies were confirmed. Again.

Fennario

#6265 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Faith is a kind of cognitive disease.
Faith is to reason what intentionally blinding yourself is to vision. You heir to various gifts that helped your forbears outcompete those without them, like your vision and your reason. Faith is a logical error. It effectively gives any idea the status of truth. That can't be smart.

Is that a disease? I don't think so. But it's a terrible mistake.
derek4 wrote:
believers are delusional.

Does that sound exaggerated to you? Through faith, you've taken an unproven idea - and an extreme one at that - and elevated it to the status of an axiom, an atomic, self-evident truth.

One dictionary defined delusion as, "An idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality."

Most people in the world consider your doctrine of sin and of salvation through Christ, for example, nonsense. And they are correct. Your bible refutes itself. But your belief in it is firmly maintained in the face of contradictory evidence such as bible errors and contradictions. So, you've got all that going.

But you are spared total inclusion by virtue of the fact that your belief is not idiosyncratic - billions of you have been inculcated with it. And that makes it a social illness, not a mental illness.

And I don't know if reality contradicts you, but it certainly doesn't support you, which is a big factor when it comes to deciding about mental illness: what good evidence justifies a belief, especially an extraordinary belief, without which it may be a delusion?

Fennario

#6266 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
they are doing all they can to rid the world of all religious belief and practice.
Very few of us consider that important or possible. Personally, I want your church out of my life completely. I don't care what Jesus thinks about anything - not gay marriage, not abortion, not sex, not evolution - nothing.

And I don't want any comments about smurfs, gods, or any other nonsense on the money, or in the Pledge.

Once we have that, I doubt we'll ever think about you again. Please feel free to shake your scary chicken on a stick at the sky every Sunday morning if you believe that the chicken centers you and provides you with a moral basis for living.

Just don't bother me with what the chicken wants.
derek4 wrote:
the evidence for God is overwhelming, confirming the Apostle Paul’s point in Romans 1 that the reality of God is “clearly seen, being understood from what has been made so that men are without excuse”(Rom. 1:20, NIV).
We're back to delusion now, aren't we?

Science does not support your religion. It debunks much of it - one of several ways science implies atheism. Cosmologists, geologists, biologists, and archeologists in particular have disproven most of Genesis and Exodus. And you have as much access to that information as the rest of us.

Yet you cling resolutely to an extraordinary belief against evidence.

That's delusion, dude, even if its on a mass scale.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6267 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
No biblical prophecy has ever allowed man to anticipate any event in history in any useful way. None of it qualifies as quality prophecy, which must meet the following criteria :
[1] It needs to be specific - that is, detailed and unambiguous. The highest quality prophecy specifies the time and place.
[2] It needs to prophesy something surprising, something unlikely or unique, something that could not have been contrived, and that was not self-fulfilling.
[3] The prophecies need to be verified, fulfilled completely, predict something that definitely occurred subsequently, and waere unaccompanied by failed prophecies.
[4] As is true for the scientists, high quality scientific knowledge in holy books that was not available at the time the books were written would count as prophecy. The knowledge must be detailed and be about something counterintuitive like relativity or quantum mechanics - not merely mentioning in the broad, vague strokes things that can in retrospect be imagined to hint at atoms, a big bang, heliocentrism or evolution. And example would be,“My disciples, I say unto thee that energy is mass times the speed of light multiplied unto itself.”
<quoted text>
Yes prophecies in the bible are very vague, and notably do not deal with the world of the very small (atoms) or the very big (universe). As they are limited to the understanding of science and the world of when they were written.

Fennario

#6268 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Category Archives: Fake Science Century of Slander
You have no vote in the scientific conversation. Only the scientists do, and they tell us that you and your bible are wrong. It's settled science. Move on.

And the slander has been ongoing for over a century and a half already, but I am encouraged to be able to report to you that your voices get a few percent fainter every year.

Toodle-oo.

Fennario

#6270 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Judging by analyses showing that the number of retractions during the past ten years has skyrocketed, it is reasonable to conclude that the self-regulating peer review system suffers from serious underlying defects.
http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/846/94/
That makes no sense at all. It is reasonable to conclude from that data that the process of peer review is more effective than ever.

The scientific vetting process is 100% impartial and 100% effective. No false or erroneous claim survives the test of time. How is it possible that any meaningful statement that is wrong won't eventually be shown to be wrong? It's not.

Science says your bible is wrong, and that is the final word on that matter. Man is but a naked, bipedal ape that evolved from now extinct ancestral apes. Life evolved on earth over deep time without the help of gods.

Your bible got that wrong. Errors in an allegedly divinely authored holy book certify it as inauthentic, its contents mythology, the god it describes as much a mythological creature as a Griffin, the religion based on it false, and the church and clergy that exploits it all fraudulent.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6271 Nov 20, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Sometimes, at the end of the day, in irreverance to atheists, I feel it only fitting to re-post the "Atheist Prayer"
I dont see the reason why anyone would pray. Reflective meditation I guess may give some people comfort. But praying in the usual sense of the word is nonsensical.

The fact that God fails to answer prayers is proof that God is imaginary.

Praying usually takes two forms.

1) to grovel before God, heaping endless thanks and praises on him. God must surely have a weak ego to need such self indulgent toadying.

2) people asking God for stuff, blessing, healing, miracles, etc. This is basically saying God is wrong. And God should be doing something he currently is not doing. It basically saying that god is not loving or perfect. And the petitioner wants god to act in a way contrary to his supposed perfect will.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6272 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
Errors in an allegedly divinely authored holy book certify it as inauthentic, its contents mythology, the god it describes as much a mythological creature as a Griffin, the religion based on it false, and the church and clergy that exploits it all fraudulent.
I think many of the clergy today know that a fraud is being perpetrated. But that they stay within the church because they have invested too much emotionally in it, and are reliant on it financially. They may try to justify this by saying that they act in a caring way in the community, gicing people counselling and so on. But to live a lie.. not worth it, imo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Hooogle It 2,185
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Joe fortuna 232,699
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr MUQ2 23,170
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 11 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 12 hr Geezerjock 1
Evidence for God! 14 hr ChristineM 366
More from around the web