Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#6110 Nov 17, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Spiritual Atheists and Nonliteral Theists
“A gathering place for Spiritual Atheists and Nonliteral Theists around the world.”
“We don't believe in the existence of an entity external to the universe that supposedly created and rules the universe; but we are SPIRITUAL”
http://operationliberation.ning.com/
[LMAO]
You're too dumb to know that religion doesn't have a monopoly on the term "spiritual"

Here's what they say..

"A "Spiritual Atheist" is ANYONE who does not believe in the literal existence of mythical God, but still considers his/her self to be spiritual. Spiritual teacher and author Soren Sorensen has just published two riveting books that explore spirituality without mythical God."

All you're doing is taking a fuzzy word like "spiritual" and mistakenly assuming that it applies only to your superstitious mumbo jumbo.

In my case, for spiritual, read "awe":

I can be in awe of the universe, of people and of life's experiences and sometimes I look up at a might sky and feel very small indeed.

No god required.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#6111 Nov 17, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“A gathering place for Spiritual Atheists and Nonliteral Theists around the world.”
Why mix with Christians? How about some astrologers, too?
derek4 wrote:
“We don't believe in the existence of an entity external to the universe that supposedly created and rules the universe; but we are SPIRITUAL”
We intend to take that back from you, too.

You claimed to have truth, but we showed you what truth is. It's the Big Bang and biological evolution.

You claimed moral superiority, but we taught you that stoning people to death and burning witches was not only not holy, it is immoral. Moral behavior derives from rational compassion, not bibles.

And you claim to have some kind of spiritual superiority as well, but history has put that claim to the lie. Look at the Catholic church.

We will show how that too rightly belongs to the children who love THIS world, not your Matrix world of ghosts and spirits. Belief in magical spirits has nothing to do with spirituality.

You have nothing to offer this world except division, strife, crusades, holy wars, inquisitions, witch burnings, psychological terrorism beginning in childhood, scapegoating the defenseless, organized pedophilia, prudery, fear, guilt, shame, and blame.

It's time for your church to disappear. Shoo!

Nottingham, UK

#6112 Nov 17, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
tl;dr : but I'm pretty sure the whole copy paste thing boils down to your last three sentences any way.
Let's clear some stuff up, shall we?
Science =/= god
Spirituality =/= religion
And although some atheist may be scientists, not all atheists are scientists and not all scientists are atheists.
Am I going slowly enough for you to keep up? Cause I know you people seem to miraculously lose the ability to read English when people say these kinds of things...
Now, as strange as it may seem to christians, who pretty much all have to follow the same rules written in the same book (and are really pretty bad at that) atheists are a pretty diverse group of people. We really only have one thing in common: we don't believe in any gods.
That's it.
So it's perfectly possible there are atheists out there that believe their chakras are connected to the earth's magnetic core and get recharged by running around naked in a field of daisies every other full moon.
Here's a shocking fact for you: unless they start to broadcast it on television, teach it to kids at school or try to make me strip down and join them I honestly don't care.
Great post, Nikki!

Nice to see you back here!

You'll find that Derek backs down when challenged. Clearly those christian cojones are very small indeed.

Nottingham, UK

#6113 Nov 17, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably wouldn't like my posts very much. They're pretty anti-religionist, and they pretty consistently make a fool of you.
And godless is evolved. It's mo' bettah than being superstitious.
As for research, you just copy-and-paste. There is no evidence that you even understand those posts.
I don't think he does understand what he cuts and pastes.

His mind is primed for exploitation by others.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6114 Nov 17, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just a clueless, robotic spammer whose posts reflect your inablility to use science and reason, much less any kind of research. You are also reflective of the premise of the orignnal post of this thread: "Don't dictate beliefs....No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly." You like your other annoying, parasitic trolls have been epic failures in everything you've tried to accomplish here.
That's an insult to robots everywhere! Take that back.

Nottingham, UK

#6115 Nov 17, 2012
<quoted text>
Why mix with Christians? How about some astrologers, too?
<quoted text>
We intend to take that back from you, too.
You claimed to have truth, but we showed you what truth is. It's the Big Bang and biological evolution.
You claimed moral superiority, but we taught you that stoning people to death and burning witches was not only not holy, it is immoral. Moral behavior derives from rational compassion, not bibles.
And you claim to have some kind of spiritual superiority as well, but history has put that claim to the lie. Look at the Catholic church.
We will show how that too rightly belongs to the children who love THIS world, not your Matrix world of ghosts and spirits. Belief in magical spirits has nothing to do with spirituality.
You have nothing to offer this world except division, strife, crusades, holy wars, inquisitions, witch burnings, psychological terrorism beginning in childhood, scapegoating the defenseless, organized pedophilia, prudery, fear, guilt, shame, and blame.
It's time for your church to disappear. Shoo!
You're absolutely right.

By his own admission, Derek sees nothing wrong with genocide.

What kind of knots and contortions has Dereks mind been twisted to for him to have such a warped view?

Nottingham, UK

#6116 Nov 17, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an insult to robots everywhere! Take that back.
What would Derek think if I created millions of robots and instructed them to worship me, sing songs to me, pray to me, etc?

Fennario

#6117 Nov 17, 2012
derek4 wrote:
INVARIABLY, that word “science” or scientist” pops up into almost everything atheists write about their opinions, yet they try to say atheism and science are unrelated.
My atheism is older than my understanding of science, and as such is neither derived from science, nor dependent on it.

But my understanding of science fortifies my conviction that my instincts are correct. Science strongly implies atheism in at least four ways:

[1] Science and secular humanism, validate the principle of rational skepticism, which requires the rejection of unevidenced claims such as those of the existence of gods.

[2] Science has first shown that we don't need a god to run the universe, and now that we didn't need one to build it.

[3] Science shows us that every creation myth has been a fabrication, and that prayer is not answered.

[4] Scientists have been studying the universe closely and carefully at all scales for centuries never found a scintilla of evidence for a designer.
derek4 wrote:
So can an atheist be spritual? The answer is yes. Atheists are spiritual, religious people. They worship their science god.
Spirituality is completely unrelated to worship. And it's not dependent on science, although the scientific journey is a path to the mystical state. But so are some hallucinogens, as are fasting and meditating, and some activities like gardening and making music.

Spirituality is precisely this: a psychological state of connectivity with the universe associated with a sense of mystery, awe and gratitude. You don't get that with Christian misanthropy (self-loathing), nor from groveling in worship, which only creates a sense of inferiority and dependence. Worship is demeaning and infantilizing, and as such, constitutes an impediment to the spiritual state.

The question s whether it is possible for a theist to experience authentic spirituality given all of that baggage.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6118 Nov 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What would Derek think if I created millions of robots and instructed them to worship me, sing songs to me, pray to me, etc?
Well, soon robots will be more intelligent than him.

Fennario

#6119 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
Let's clear some stuff up, shall we?

Science =/= god

Spirituality =/= religion

And although some atheist may be scientists, not all atheists are scientists and not all scientists are atheists.

Am I going slowly enough for you to keep up? Cause I know you people seem to miraculously lose the ability to read English when people say these kinds of things...

Now, as strange as it may seem to christians, who pretty much all have to follow the same rules written in the same book (and are really pretty bad at that) atheists are a pretty diverse group of people. We really only have one thing in common: we don't believe in any gods.
That's it.

So it's perfectly possible there are atheists out there that believe their chakras are connected to the earth's magnetic core and get recharged by running around naked in a field of daisies every other full moon.

Here's a shocking fact for you: unless they start to broadcast it on television, teach it to kids at school or try to make me strip down and join them I honestly don't care.
Nice post. Welcome back.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/2012-presiden...

Fennario

#6120 Nov 18, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Good call! Totally needy emo sums her up pretty well. Maybe emogit :)
My entire exposure to the word "git" comes from one Beatles' song - I'm So Tired. Apparently "Sir Walter Raleigh was such a stupid git (or get)" for introducing tobacco to London, for which John Lennon was cursing him.

Fennario

#6121 Nov 18, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Here's a list of famous Christian hypocrites.
All were inspired by the Bible.

1.5 Neville Johnson, 1983
1.7 Peter Popoff, 1987
1.14 Bob Moorehead, 1998
1.21 Paul Crouch, 2004
1.40 Eddie L. Long, 2010
1.45 Allan Cundick, 2011
Cundick? I think that we could have predicted sex scandals for the people with those names.

Didn't Neville Johnson convert to Islam and change his name to Mustafa?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#6122 Nov 18, 2012
Nice :)

Never smoked myself so I can agree totally there.

I heard the spoony one call people emogit and it just stuck with me :)

Wanker, git sometimes those British insults sound so proper :)
<quoted text>
My entire exposure to the word "git" comes from one Beatles' song - I'm So Tired. Apparently "Sir Walter Raleigh was such a stupid git (or get)" for introducing tobacco to London, for which John Lennon was cursing him.

Fennario

#6123 Nov 18, 2012
Khatru wrote:
What kind of knots and contortions has Dereks mind been twisted to for him to have such a warped view?
We see an awful lot of that type of extreme deformation of thought from theists here on Topix.

If you were testing mental status on these people, you'd either have to give their religious thinking a pass, or call them insane. Without a program of indoctrination to account for that degree of reality denial and tortured ethics, you'd have to call a person insane who defines love in terms of torture and crucifixion, who sees man as loathsome, who sees the world as deeply flawed and and of little value, who terrorizes children with tales of hellfire, and who speaks to unseen presences and expects them to help him.

So why aren't they considered insane anyway? Because it was done to them rather than it being an endogenous psychosis? Becuase it is an imposed nihilistic pessimism and not depression?

That may be relevant to prognosis. I don't believe that the Christian problem responds to antipsychotic medication, for example. But isn't the degree of impairment the same whatever its etiology?

If Derek weren't a Christian, and he still behaved like he does, wouldn't we be deeply concerned?

Fennario

#6124 Nov 18, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you hide from them after that?

And for the ones who couldn't find you, would you keep them alive forever just to torture them for that insult?

He'd worship you.

Nottingham, UK

#6125 Nov 18, 2012
<quoted text>
My atheism is older than my understanding of science, and as such is neither derived from science, nor dependent on it.
But my understanding of science fortifies my conviction that my instincts are correct. Science strongly implies atheism in at least four ways:
[1] Science and secular humanism, validate the principle of rational skepticism, which requires the rejection of unevidenced claims such as those of the existence of gods.
[2] Science has first shown that we don't need a god to run the universe, and now that we didn't need one to build it.
[3] Science shows us that every creation myth has been a fabrication, and that prayer is not answered.
[4] Scientists have been studying the universe closely and carefully at all scales for centuries never found a scintilla of evidence for a designer.
<quoted text>
Spirituality is completely unrelated to worship. And it's not dependent on science, although the scientific journey is a path to the mystical state. But so are some hallucinogens, as are fasting and meditating, and some activities like gardening and making music.
Spirituality is precisely this: a psychological state of connectivity with the universe associated with a sense of mystery, awe and gratitude. You don't get that with Christian misanthropy (self-loathing), nor from groveling in worship, which only creates a sense of inferiority and dependence. Worship is demeaning and infantilizing, and as such, constitutes an impediment to the spiritual state.
The question s whether it is possible for a theist to experience authentic spirituality given all of that baggage.
You're bang on the nail here.

Atheism and non-belief doesn't need science and as ideas, they have existed long before the scientific method was developed by free-thinking humans.

When we look at religion and science we're comparing the massive failure of superstitious mumbo jumbo to the spectacular success of methodical study.

Only yesterday we saw how a newly-developed vaccine for Meningitis B will reduce infant mortality rates.

That's the same Meningitis B that Derek firmly believes was magicked into existence by his invisible sky pixie, although for some reason, Christians always neglect to mention it when they rattle off a list of their god's creations.

What about smallpox? That's another dirty creation of their god that they won't praise their god for making when they sing "All Things Bright and Beautiful"

How many people have died from the smallpox virus? It's impossible to tell but it's probably millions. Of course, it's thanks to science that this terrible disease is all but eradicated.

I guess it's possible that the virus may yet evolve into a new strain, but of course Derek will take it as another of his god's creations and no doubt interpret the deaths of many more humans as further evidence of his deity's transcendent love for humanity.

Nottingham, UK

#6126 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, soon robots will be more intelligent than him.
We've already got them.

Here are some...

"small robotic cockroaches that scurry all over the place"

Nottingham, UK

#6127 Nov 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Ah, we use that word a lot over here.

Nottingham, UK

#6128 Nov 18, 2012
If Derek weren't a Christian, and he still behaved like he does, wouldn't we be deeply concerned?
He'd probably be close to being sectioned.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6129 Nov 18, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
We've already got them.
Here are some...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DhIiCEDwhocXX
"small robotic cockroaches that scurry all over the place"
lol Good one.

I want a NAO, those things look so cute, and I can install my own AI into one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Dave Nelson 230,003
Islam for peace, or violence? 2 hr Uncle Sam 32
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Uncle Sam 1,036
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 20 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 20 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE