Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Read more: The Star Press 11,179

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Read more

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5965 Nov 15, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider myself a Christian, but I don't think there is any biblical evidence that ...
Biblical evidence? The bible is not evidence of anything to an unbeliever except for which words the religion says their god gave them. The book is not evidence for the truth of any of the claims in it. The book is actually evidence that the claims in it cannot all be correct, as they contradict one another.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
I consider myself a Christian, but I don't think there is any biblical evidence that Jehovah had a son. Aleast I haven't seen any. Jehovah is Jesus Christ. Jehovah who is Jesus Christ is the mediator between God and the Jews in the Old Testament. In other words: Jesus Christ speaks in the place of God to the Jews in the Old Testament.
Is that significant to an unbeliever? Why tell me? You each seem to have a personal version of what your bible means.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
The Jews tried to stone Jesus Christ because Christ proclaimed that he was the Jehovah of the old testament on several occasions.
What a proud tradition! Have you seen The Life Of Brian from Monty Python, set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
[A humorous stoning for blasphemy ... was the reality less ridiculous than this?]

Fennario

#5967 Nov 15, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
OR there could be dual meaning
OR it speaks differently to different people
OR experts respectfully disagree
That doesn't mean its a work of fiction. Some people have different understandings of the codification issued by the FASB, that doesn't mean it is a work of fiction or that the principles don't apply to the real world.
That ambiguity does mean, however, that the codification, like the bible, was not written by a god. It also means that its contents will be frequently misunderstood and misapplied.

I hold a book said to be divinely authored to a higher standard than any existing book, even a government publication. The bible doesn't come close to meeting that standard, and so is easily rejected as inauthentic. It's undoubtedly less exact than your manual. Frankly, you probably couldn't get your bible published except at your own expense if it came out today.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#5968 Nov 15, 2012
Well Christians aren't flying planes into buildings or strapping bombs to their chest to blow up daycares.....

Yet.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a playpen Christian.
Christians and Muslims are just a camel and a prayer cloth apart.

Fennario

#5969 Nov 15, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
It may already be starting. Hopefully! An 'Evangelical Disaster': What Happened to the Religious Vote?
http://news.yahoo.com/evangelical-disaster-ha...
Excellent. Thank you kindly for that, now bookmarked.

Too bad, Derek. It looks like your church isn't just bleeding, it's bleeding out. I couldn't be more encouraged.

And it's no great feat to extrapolate the arc of that trajectory from Reagan through Obama to a future where the church is irrelevant in the public arena. That would mean more than just politically irrelevant. It includes them having no say over what people are decent or how anybody ought to behave. I'm tired of being successfully defined as untrustworthy and morally unfit because Jesus says so.

Fennario

#5970 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
But what is the biggest rock? The video that may just change your life.:)
https://www.google.com/search...
<quoted text>
Pretty funny!

But we must translate the ancient Hebrew and Aramaic for "rock" and "biggest" properly in order to fully understand the question. To God, a rock is like a thousand rocks - a stoning. Also, in the Kingdom of Heaven, the biggest will be the smallest, and the smallest the biggest.

Did you hear about the Zen master who asked the hot dog vendor to make him one with everything?

When he asked for his change, the hot dog vendor told the Zen master that change must come from within.

Fennario

#5971 Nov 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
We are waiting for little Kitten to drop us some gems of wisdom.
Try the cat box. Once encrusted with kitty litter, they look like Almond Rocas. Go for it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_Roca

Fennario

#5972 Nov 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
[This is atheists dictating their beliefs in action.]
Are you whining about being pushed around by an atheist minority again? What are you going to do when YOU are the minority. And just how weak is your god, really? Why does he let this happen to you? What use is such a weak god?

Fennario

#5973 Nov 15, 2012
derek4 wrote:
From FOX News: Church-Burning Video Used to Promote Atheist Event at Ft. Bragg
They should use a re-enactment of a witch burning or a KKK cross burning.

We're letting you off light.

Fennario

#5974 Nov 15, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi IANS, you were writing the other day about global warming and how you have made some lifestyle changes to reduce your carbon footprint. I was wondering how do you think climate change could pan out? And will rapid development in China and India, make efforts to combat CC futile. I heard off someone China is opening a coal powered fire station every week.
Good questions, but my opinions there would be uniformed. I'm not very informed on the topic at that level. We're just trying to do our part, and it's been easy. Like I said, it required only a willingness to relocate, to change bulbs, and spring for the solar technology, and we profited from every change as much as the environment.

I am pessimistic about the climate situation. I expect disaster before the problem is taken seriously.

These are the things that I can contribute to this discussion, which are actually pretty interesting even if not answers to your questions:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

The second one ends with, "Why do you suppose that the Pentagon, the CEO of Exxon-Mobil, and USCAP all say that global warming is a real threat?"

That's an excellent question. If they - the DOD and the energy industry - are not the ones funding and promoting the Manufactured Doubt in this arena, who is, and why? I believe those are key questions regarding understanding this entire situation. My answer sounds conspiratorial, so I seldom share it given the way people respond to such things.

I'm interested in any serious opinion. Why do we have these statements from these people? Is it a deception, or are they not the problem?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5975 Nov 15, 2012
<quoted text>
Normally, I would feel sympathy for a person in such a position. But not Derek - not a person who posts, "I imagine your family looks forward to your funeral. They will send each other party invitations."
Such a "person" only gets my sincerest contempt. I lack even the least interest in mitigating the insecurity, confusion, and sense of hopelessness that surely must result from beholding the spectacle of his church wasting away as his dickless and anemic god sits idly by while being profaned.
That must be rough to watch.
Derek demonstrates the monumental hatred and ignorance which appears to be prerequisite if you're going to become one of the many self-appointed ambassadors for his divinity of doubt.

While we value science and learning, Derek eschews it in favour of superstitious mumbo jumbo.

Poor Derek, a life destroyed by ju-ju.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5976 Nov 15, 2012
<quoted text>
He's a playpen Christian. The decision was made for him before he could walk or speak, and he never possessed the intellectual integrity, strength, or courage necessary to escape. So, he is relegating to sucking his thumb and wondering by the banks of his own lagoon. Poor Derek. Nobody told him. Nobody saw.
<quoted text>
What's the difference, Muslim or Christian? They both embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, and ritual. They both grovel before an imagined angry, capricious, petty, sadistic, murderous, judgmental, Semitic desert god complete with a pantheon of demons and angels, as well as an afterlife. Mosques are churches, imams are priests, and you are to submit to both.
Christians and Muslims are just a camel and a prayer cloth apart.
It's also safe to say that in Islam it's the least educated that veer towards fundamentalism.

The same is true in Christianity and we can see that Derek was educated to a pretty low standard.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5977 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Well Christians aren't flying planes into buildings or strapping bombs to their chest to blow up daycares.....

Yet.
They've blown up a few abortion clinics.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#5978 Nov 15, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention a few Black Churches during their biblically justified segregation years of the 50's and 60's.

Fennario

#5979 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well Christians aren't flying planes into buildings or strapping bombs to their chest to blow up daycares.....
Yet.
No. They murder physicians, and bomb clinics.

Fennario

#5980 Nov 15, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go. Christians are famous for terrorism. How about dressing up in sheets and burning crosses on lawns? How about terrifying children into believing that there is a hell - psychological terrorism. Several of them threaten us right here on Topix.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5981 Nov 15, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
ok. Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
I didnt read your spam :)
Just a quick reminder to all atheist and atheist supporters:

I have no interest in what you read or don't read since I'm already accustomed to seeing most of your one liner brainless posts – I skim them and move along, throwing them out with the dirty bath water because you don't bother to get informed on the issues.

That means you post nothing of substance. You're airheads, lol.

So, in other words, nothing has changed.

Thanks, and have a great day, even though I think that will be difficult for you, since your posts constantly remind me how unhappy and miserable you are, lol.

Your idea of a good time is to think of worms crawling in and out of your dead relatives' eye-sockets, LMAO.

Location hidden

#5982 Nov 15, 2012
The Hypocrisy of an Atheist's Morality

Richard Dawkins, the world's most infamous atheist, is once again making headlines.

The author of "The God Delusion," Dawkins has earned an international reputation as a polemicist, the religious receiving the brunt of his attacks. Now Dawkins has set his sights on the pope. Joining the wave of anti-Catholic fervor, Dawkins' legal team is preparing a case to arrest Pope Benedict XVI during his state visit to Britain later this year.(Apparently, God, Dawkins' preferred target, has no such plans to visit that country.)

The pope's guilt or innocence in the matter of child-abusing priests is a question that I shall leave to others. Nevertheless, that Dawkins should call for his arrest for, of all things, "crimes against humanity," is rich with contradictions that seem lost on none more than Dawkins himself.

continued:

In recent years, Dawkins has managed to establish a megachurch of unbelief. His website has played host to the largest atheist community outside of North Korea, boasting a forum membership some 85,000-plus strong. The site has served to promote all things Richard Dawkins: books, videos, conferences, trinkets and, of course, atheism -- or, more precisely, Dawkins' version of atheism. It has become the basis of a movement. A publicity hound, he mobilized his godless congregation last year and captured headlines when he plastered London buses with the message: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

“Therein lies the contradiction.”

“...the greatest crimes ever committed against humanity were perpetrated by those who had "stopped worrying" that there might be a God to judge in the next world acts committed in this one. Indeed, it may well be that some priests took Dawkins at his word and decided to stop worrying, too.[LMAO] Last autumn, Dennis and Flora Milner, an atheist couple in Britain, did just that and gassed themselves.(According to The Daily Telegraph, Milner had been reading Dawkins before he signed off.)”
http://www.fixed-point.org/index.php/fixartic...

[I like that reference to the Dawkins “megachurch”- the church of godless hypocrisy.]

Location hidden

#5983 Nov 15, 2012
Atheist hypocrisy

I often hear the lament from anti-theists about Christian hypocrisy as the impetus behind their rejection of God, but rarely is atheist hypocrisy ever mentioned.”

continued:

“I recall a time a few years ago when I posted a gospel tract on the community bulletin board of a local coffee shop.

Shortly thereafter, as I sat sipping my hot beverage, a woman in her thirties entered the shop and made her way over to the bulletin board. Upon seeing the tract, she quickly removed it and promptly found a table where she sat and thumbed through the little booklet. Her behavior led me to speculate that she was familiar with what she held in her hands, and I watched from a distance.

Then this woman took out a pen and began to write on the tract (both the front and rear covers). This greatly piqued my interest of course, and I continued to observe.

A short while later another woman entered the establishment and approached the table where the first woman sat. The second woman greeted the first and the first woman gleefully showed the second woman the cover of the tract. The second woman gave a smirk while the first had a grin ear to ear. She then promptly returned the tract to the bulletin board.

My party and I left at the same time as the two women did but my curiosity got the best of me so I returned to the bulletin board inside the business and retrieved the tract. And there I read what the woman in all her giddy-like-a-school-girl excitement had written on the tract.

On the front:“There is no God!”

On the back:“Shame on God!”

There you have it ... classic anti-theist hypocrisy:“Shame on the very thing I believe doesn’t exist.”

How can someone say on one hand,“There is no God!” then on the other hand say,“Shame on God!”? That is either blatant hypocrisy or a mild case of schizophrenia.

You can’t claim that someone or something doesn’t exist, then offer an opinion on that someone or something. Let me offer an example.

If I said that the Loch Ness Monster does not exist, but then warned you that you should be careful while swimming in Loch Ness because the Monster might get you, would you not be justified in questioning the truthfulness of my original claim that Nessie doesn’t exist?

So I came to the realization that most self-proclaimed atheists aren’t atheists because they disbelieve the existence of God, but it’s simply because they hate Him. They don’t want to be limited or prohibited in their lifestyle choices, nor be confronted with their sin, so they self-inflict a seared conscience upon themselves.

I would prefer if these professing atheists would be upfront and honest about their beliefs and come to terms with the fact that they simply hate God and His laws, instead of hiding behind a pretentious facade of pseudo-intellectualism in their declaration that the very thing they hate does not exist.”
http://defendingcontending.com/2012/01/09/ath...

Location hidden

#5984 Nov 15, 2012
More on atheist hypocrisy:

“I frequently hear anti-theists lament the hypocrisy they see in the lives of professing Christians, oftentimes citing such hypocrisies as part of their reason for rejecting Christianity. But there is a glaring hypocrisy that frequently comes from the anti-theist camp that seems to escape their own notice. Although this hypocrisy is abundantly present in many of the anti-theist rants against Christianity, I have yet to see anyone bring attention to it. So allow me to point it out.

Anti-theists spend an inordinate amount of time devoted to expressing a hatred toward, and the mocking of a God they claim doesn’t exist (chew on the rationality of that for a while). They also spend a lot of time mocking Christians who actually live according to the principles set forth in Scripture; those Christians who strive to follow the commands of Christ.

So many times when an atheist sees a Christian being obedient to the commands of Christ (i.e. practice what they preach), they get mocked as “fuddy duddies,”“prudes,” and “fundies” by pretentious anti-theists.

Now the hypocrisy comes:

As soon as some anti-theists observe legitimate (or perceived) hypocrisy in the lives of pseudo-Christians, they wail that this somehow not only “proves” that God doesn’t exist, but that the behavior of these professing Christians justifies these anti-theists’ continued willful enmity toward God and Christianity.

“You Christians are hypocrites; you don’t practice what you preach, and that’ just another reason why I reject the existence of your God.”

So which is it, dear atheist? You can’t have it both ways. You can’t on the one hand accuse Christians of hypocrisy for not practicing what they preach, and then, on the other hand, mock them when they do.

To be consistent, if the professing Christian not practicing what the Bible teaches is one reason to reject Christianity, then wouldn’t the Christian practicing what the Bible teaches be one reason to embrace Christianity?

So I ask you this day, which would you rather see, Christians following their Lord’s commands, or those shallow, Sunday-only Christians who claim to follow Christ but who live just like you?

Choose this day who you’ll mock ... then remain consistent.”
http://defendingcontending.com/2012/03/25/ath...

Location hidden

#5985 Nov 15, 2012
The Oxymoron Hypocrisy of Atheists’ Anti-Religion Campaign

“No other time of year bring out the atheists more than Christmas does. With the first mention of the word ‘Christmas’ or ‘Jesus’ they attack like a swarm of killer bees whose loud buzzing is often enough to scare away many from even trying to stand up for the true meaning of Christmas.

Even the US House of Representatives have felt the sting as they have been told that they are not allowed to wish their constituents “Merry Christmas” if they are using their congressional mailing privileges.”

[Yet, the atheists sing Christmas carols – hypocrisy, lol.]

“But more often than naught, atheists focus much of the holiday humbug towards any public displays of Christmas and nativity scenes. Town after town look up to see the deadly swarm heading their way soon after they put up their traditional nativity scene in the city square like they’ve done for the past fifty plus years.

One such case that caught my attention this year is the town of Warren, Michigan. Every year at Christmas, the city displays a nativity scene in the lobby of city hall and this year was no different. Soon after the display went up, the city received notice from an attorney representing Douglas Marshall, a local atheist and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Marshall told the local media,“If a person wants to express their beliefs in their homes, in their church, they are more than welcome to, but in the public square, which I’m paying for with my taxes, there shouldn’t be belief systems.”

Marshall and the Freedom From Religion Foundation have demanded that if the city insists on keeping the nativity display, that they post an anti-religion sign in the lobby with the traditional Christmas scene. The front of the sign reads,

“At this season of the Winter Solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

The back of the sign reads,“STATE/CHURCH: Keep Them Separate.”

Organizations like the Freedom From Religion Foundation are so blinded by their hatred of God that they fail to see the hypocrisy of the very name of the organization. There is NO freedom from religion. Atheism is a religion because it is a belief system. Everyone has some form of religion whether they realize it or not. A belief that there is no God is still a belief which is defined as a religion.

Whenever they use a term like anti-religion, it has to be one of the most illogical oxymorons in the English language as anti-religion is in reality a religion. And if you really want to get an atheist’s dander in an uproar, try to tell them that they actually do have a religion. I’ve done this on several occasions and let me tell you, they got madder than a swarm of killer bees, and it’s all because they can’t stand to hear the truth about themselves because to admit they have kind of religion completely undermines their foundational beliefs that they don’t have a religion.”
http://godfatherpolitics.com/2756/the-oxymoro...

[Become an ordained atheist minister today at the “First Church of Atheism.”]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 min Thinking 2,013
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min Zog Has-fallen 18,532
News The Consequences of Atheism 18 min Thinking 1,274
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 47 min waaasssuuup 237,794
News Confessions of a black atheist 2 hr Atheists R Us 342
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr Thinking 14,567
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 3 hr Thinking 24
More from around the web