Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5928 Nov 14, 2012
‘A Significant Victory’: Atheists Lose Battle Over Jesus Statue Atop Montana Mountain

Last October, we reported about atheists’ attempts to have a Jesus statue removed from government-owned land on a Montana mountain. Now, months later, it seems non-believers have lost their battle to have the religious symbol banished. In a press release delivered this afternoon, the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) announced:

…today’s decision by the federal government to renew a lease that keeps in place a World War II memorial on a Montana mountain — a statue of Jesus — is a “significant victory” and represents a sound defeat for an atheist organization that challenged the memorial.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/a-significant...

[Maybe the atheists should have prayed to their science god to help them win before going to court, LMAO]

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5929 Nov 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to analyze others doesn't become you, Khatru - you're unstable. Your brain has enough trouble ploughing through your comic books.
You shouldn't project, that's the lowest form of trollery.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5930 Nov 14, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
is the main objective to logically disprove the existence of a god?
No. That is neither possible nor necessary.

It is possible, however, to rule out a few named gods - any of the ones with self-contradictory bibles allegedly authored by a perfect god can be rejected, for example.

Plus, any bible with creation myths that vary from the scientific facts, or one with errors of historical fact.

And finally, we can rule out those gods that allegedly possess self-contradictory attributes, such as being omniscient and granting free will at the same time, or said to be perfect, yet making mistakes.

But that still leaves a few gods. I think that Dreamtime Snake, for example, cannot be ruled out.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5931 Nov 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“Atheists who envision a world without religion may have a while to wait."
Who envisions that? How would that help?

I envision an America with a disempowered Christian church and a Christian minority. How long do we have to wait for that? Current projections are about twenty-five barring accelerating apostasy due to increasing social acceptability of irreligiosity. That's all that matters.

But feel free to continue shaking your scary chicken on the stick at the full moon if that's what gives you a moral foundation and gives your life meaning.

Nobody will even notice once your religion has shrunken down to a size that can be drowned in a bathtub. Just don't bother anybody else with what you think that the chicken wants. We don't care.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5932 Nov 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“by a wide margin”- ATHEISTS not acceptable.....
We're going to reverse that for you. The day is not far off when people who believe in angels rather than evolution will be as unpopular as pedophile priests.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5933 Nov 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
American sentiment against the repulsiveness of atheists is growing.
You may have noticed that we have started a little campaign of our own that has begun to gain traction. You people are already a laughing stock in the entertainment media and in universities. How many television shows or movies depict a priest as a respected person? Priests are as despised as investment bankers now. And we've only just begun. How many people want to grow up to become clergy? Not quite bupkis.

Can you feel it coming? Dead religion walking.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5934 Nov 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Explain what "atheism plus" means to you.
Never heard of it.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5935 Nov 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you have to buy their junk before you can see their magic.
I didn't say anything about buying. You should test drive before you buy.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5936 Nov 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Jebus sits on his right hand.
Some people think its figurative.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5937 Nov 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
jebus' baby daddy.
<quoted text>
It indicates the proper degree of respect.
<quoted text>
Really? I thought that it was the ones who took it seriously that were discredited.
<quoted text>
Yeah. They killed him, too.
<quoted text>
Christians.
I consider myself a Christian, but I don't think there is any biblical evidence that Jehovah had a son. Aleast I haven't seen any. Jehovah is Jesus Christ. Jehovah who is Jesus Christ is the mediator between God and the Jews in the Old Testament. In other words: Jesus Christ speaks in the place of God to the Jews in the Old Testament. The Jews tried to stone Jesus Christ because Christ proclaimed that he was the Jehovah of the old testament on several occasions.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#5938 Nov 14, 2012
Ya the Bible is wacky like that, people take some parts as literal other parts as figurative. One can do that with a work of fiction :)
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people think its figurative.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5939 Nov 14, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ya the Bible is wacky like that, people take some parts as literal other parts as figurative. One can do that with a work of fiction :)
<quoted text>
OR there could be dual meaning
OR it speaks differently to different people
OR experts respectfully disagree

That doesn't mean its a work of fiction. Some people have different understandings of the codification issued by the FASB, that doesn't mean it is a work of fiction or that the principles don't apply to the real world.

By the way, the FASB is the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
(I thought it was an appropriate comparison; a lot of people think that the principles of accounting are black and white, cut and dry but they are not. The same can be said about the Bible)

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#5940 Nov 14, 2012
Yes the bible is maybe the most famous piece of semi historical fiction out there.

I love how Jesus tells children around him that some of them will never taste death because the end of the world is that close at hand.

Woohoo did he screw that one up!:))
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
OR there could be dual meaning
OR it speaks differently to different people
OR experts respectfully disagree
That doesn't mean its a work of fiction. Some people have different understandings of the codification issued by the FASB, that doesn't mean it is a work of fiction or that the principles don't apply to the real world.
By the way, the FASB is the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
(I thought it was an appropriate comparison; a lot of people think that the principles of accounting are black and white, cut and dry but they are not. The same can be said about the Bible)

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#5941 Nov 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Who envisions that? How would that help?
I envision an America with a disempowered Christian church and a Christian minority. How long do we have to wait for that? Current projections are about twenty-five barring accelerating apostasy due to increasing social acceptability of irreligiosity. That's all that matters.
But feel free to continue shaking your scary chicken on the stick at the full moon if that's what gives you a moral foundation and gives your life meaning.
Nobody will even notice once your religion has shrunken down to a size that can be drowned in a bathtub. Just don't bother anybody else with what you think that the chicken wants. We don't care.
It may already be starting. Hopefully!

An 'Evangelical Disaster': What Happened to the Religious Vote?

http://news.yahoo.com/evangelical-disaster-ha...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5942 Nov 14, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about buying. You should test drive before you buy.
Then you certainly didn't pay much attention if you bought into the religious nonsense.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5943 Nov 14, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
OR there could be dual meaning
OR it speaks differently to different people
OR experts respectfully disagree
That doesn't mean its a work of fiction. Some people have different understandings of the codification issued by the FASB, that doesn't mean it is a work of fiction or that the principles don't apply to the real world.
By the way, the FASB is the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
(I thought it was an appropriate comparison; a lot of people think that the principles of accounting are black and white, cut and dry but they are not. The same can be said about the Bible)
Dual meanings are not honest, nor reliable. They do not offer knowledge or understanding, they only offer pretty things to read and that is it.

An "expert" in your bible is nothing more than a poet who has tricked you into thinking they know something you don't. Everyone like to know secrets, it's in our nature, that's why conspiracy nuttery and mysticism are so appealing in spite of it all being nothing more than wishful thinking and dreams.

Since: Mar 11

Portage, MI

#5944 Nov 14, 2012
You find people doing the same thing with Nostradamus.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Dual meanings are not honest, nor reliable. They do not offer knowledge or understanding, they only offer pretty things to read and that is it.
An "expert" in your bible is nothing more than a poet who has tricked you into thinking they know something you don't. Everyone like to know secrets, it's in our nature, that's why conspiracy nuttery and mysticism are so appealing in spite of it all being nothing more than wishful thinking and dreams.
KJV

United States

#5945 Nov 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You shouldn't project, that's the lowest form of trollery.
And you're the lowest form of an atheist.
A dumb one.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#5946 Nov 15, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're the lowest form of an atheist.
A dumb one.
She makes intelligent posts as you well know. Face facts, you are an annoying troll.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5947 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
You find people doing the same thing with Nostradamus.
<quoted text>
Well, people do it with too many things really. I often have to point out "a rock is still a rock" all the time, it's getting old.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 1 hr Richardfs 5,706
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 48,728
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Into The Night 23,542
News In defense of faith 7 hr karl44 6
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 9 hr Uncle Sam 70
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 10 hr Thinking 21,881
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 16 hr Amused 3
More from around the web