Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#5844 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I think we need to reexamine once again how L.D. Rue (atheist) promotes lying. In his view, atheists cannot live “without lies”:
“The Noble Lie”
“In 1991 L. D. Rue confronted the issue of absurdity and boldly advocated that man should deceive himself by means of a “Noble Lie” into believe that the universe still has value. By denying any objective teleology, self-fulfillment becomes radically privatized: each person chooses his own set of values and meaning.”
[What a disorderly world when they do that......]
continued:
“One has no choice but to embrace some Noble Lie that will inspire one to live beyond selfish interests. The Noble Lie “is one that deceives us, tricks us, and compels us beyond self-interest, beyond ego, beyond family, nation,[and] race.”“Without such lies, we cannot live.”
Rue’s Noble Lie does not appear to solve the notion of absurdity. Why should one sacrifice self-interest for a fiction? The Noble Lie is the greatest placebo that accomplishes its feat of illusion. Rue’s problem, as for anyone who constructs any Noble Lie, is that he values deeply personal fulfillment and wholeness. This would include objective values, which according to his philosophy do not exist. The Noble Lie option thus affirms what it denies and so refutes itself.”
http://sententias.org/tag/ld-rue/
[Mr. Rue's perspective is very representative of the typical atheist in this forum. LIES. Thank you Mr. Rue.....]
Poor Wimp-Lo once again demonstrates his gross dishonesty... Please note that in the beginning of the post, Wimp-lo states "I think we need to reexamine once again how L.D. Rue (atheist) promotes lying. In his view, atheists cannot live “without lies". At this point, Wimp-Lo is clearly stating that this is the opinion of a single person. The fact is, that L. D. Rue does not represent all atheists, nor are most atheists aware of who he is. One should look at the attempt to bind Mr. Rues' opinion to all atheists, even though the word "atheist" or any form of that word, fails to appear in the quoted text.
Wimp-Lo than goes on to make the unfounded/unsupported claim that "Mr. Rue's perspective is very representative of the typical atheist in this forum. LIES."

In addition, it should be noted that Mr. Rue is speaking of self deceprion, not "lies" as our uneducated Wimp-Lo asserts.

Don't let go of that mop Wimp-Lo, Cleaning up after others is the best you can ever expect to achieve. LOL!!!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5845 Nov 13, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop buying those economy brain cells; they are not your friend.
Once again we see how your vile religion cheapens your view of people.
You can't see it but there's plenty of respect - it's mutual and it's for friends.
That's all we need.
No one could cheapen you. You do it all by yourself - hypocrite that you are, pretending to go to a funeral out of respect – you know nothing of respect - writing about worms burrowing in and out of the eye sockets of your dead relative, when they aren't yet cold in the ground. What love. A dog has more respect than you. Being godless doesn't mean one has to be trash. You are trash, like the others in the forum. I have no doubt there are atheists somewhere who are decent acting, respectable people – none of the atheists who post in here qualify. If I did not believe in God, I couldn't imagine being as heartless as you when I lost someone in my family. It's been an enlightening experience to see you all of you for what you really are – because you're all in the same gutter. You all make good worm food, if the worms even want you, lol.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5846 Nov 13, 2012
We're not finished looking at “eugenics”[see: Inbred Science]

“Those who have accepted evolution in the belief that it was not anti-Christian may well revise their conclusions…”—William Jennings Bryan, Menace of Darwinism.

“The influence primarily responsible for the modern eugenics movement was the establishment of the doctrine of organic evolution following the publication of Darwin’s Origin of Species in 1859.”—Samuel J. Holmes, Human Genetics, ch.25 (1936).

“Mistaken regard for what are believed to be divine laws and sentimental belief in the sanctity of human life tend to prevent both the elimination of defective infants and the sterilization of such adults as are themselves of no value to the community.”—Madison Grant, The Passing of the Great Race.”

All the Darwin clan, their inter-marriages, and the Darwin ties to “eugenics”- found here:
http://inbredscience.wordpress.com/euvolution...

[Atheists shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. All they produce is moire worm food.]

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5847 Nov 13, 2012
Voltaire's desperation:

“History tells the story of the renowned atheist, Voltaire, one of the most aggressive antagonists of Christianity. He wrote many things to undermine the church, and once said of Jesus Christ,“Curse the wretch. In 20 years, Christianity will be no more. My single hand will destroy the edifice it took 12 apostles to rear.”

Needless to say, Voltaire was less than successful. And on his deathbed, a nurse who attended him was reported to have said,“For all the wealth in Europe, I would not see another atheist die.”

The physician, waiting up with Voltaire at his death, said that he cried out with utter desperation,“I am abandoned by God and man. I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months of life. Then I shall go to hell and you will go with me, oh, Christ, oh, Jesus Christ!”
http://www.wnd.com/2007/12/44827/

[and now he's burning in hell.....]
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#5849 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
[and now he's burning in hell.....]
No he isnt hell is completely imaginary.

Only a sick mind would conjure that up.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5850 Nov 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
When I lived in the shelters I went for food. Of course they didn't care that I just mocked your god when I was asked about it, it doesn't matter, because that's how indoctrination works, they make you have to go. Most people were too weak, an eventually succumbed to the indoctrination of christianity. They're still living in the shelters to this day, I'm not.
Why would a rodent need to go to a shelter when they can eat from a gas station dumpster, or even a gutter?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5851 Nov 13, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Tree stump.
You have all the intelligence, without the personality, of a tree stump.
An old, rotting tree stump.
Bwahaha.
Dolt.
I wish I could give you that much credit.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#5852 Nov 13, 2012
Derek, have you always been a fundie? Were you brought up in a fundie household? Just wondered how you can believe crazy things so literally?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5853 Nov 13, 2012
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
As for me when I die I will be dead nothing more. You are the one that needs a god to make you be a good person I do not. You need the security blanket not me.
As soon as you die, your vulture family will joke about worms burrowing in and out of your eye sockets. Atheist families show their love and respect that way, lol. And if you die in December, as soon as they dump your coffin in the ground and pile the dirt on, they will head off to church to sing Christmas carols.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5854 Nov 13, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
No he isnt hell is completely imaginary.
Only a sick mind would conjure that up.
Right - lol -“Healthy” atheist minds discuss worms crawling in eye sockets of their newly expired mothers and fathers, and their children.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#5855 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right - lol -
It is difficult to get through your religious programming. But no "loving" god would invent hell. Hell is a fairy tale. It is completely imaginary, and a tactic to scare people into believing. This is why non-fundies try to make excuses for it and deny hell is a phsyical place.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5856 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a rodent need to go to a shelter when they can eat from a gas station dumpster, or even a gutter?
You just admitted all christians are rodents, good job.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5857 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one could cheapen you. You do it all by yourself - hypocrite that you are, pretending to go to a funeral out of respect – you know nothing of respect - writing about worms burrowing in and out of the eye sockets of your dead relative, when they aren't yet cold in the ground. What love. A dog has more respect than you. Being godless doesn't mean one has to be trash. You are trash, like the others in the forum. I have no doubt there are atheists somewhere who are decent acting, respectable people – none of the atheists who post in here qualify. If I did not believe in God, I couldn't imagine being as heartless as you when I lost someone in my family. It's been an enlightening experience to see you all of you for what you really are – because you're all in the same gutter. You all make good worm food, if the worms even want you, lol.
See? I said there was plenty of mutual respect but his filthy religion blinds him to it.

I was right all along.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5858 Nov 13, 2012
Adam wrote:
Derek, have you always been a fundie? Were you brought up in a fundie household? Just wondered how you can believe crazy things so literally?
He even believes that Pi = three

After all, that's what the Bible says.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5859 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right - lol -“Healthy” atheist minds discuss worms crawling in eye sockets of their newly expired mothers and fathers, and their children.
Why do you lie?

You know your god will burn you for lying, don't you?

You're heading for that lake of fire, boy.

LOL

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5860 Nov 13, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
It is difficult to get through your religious programming. But no "loving" god would invent hell. Hell is a fairy tale. It is completely imaginary, and a tactic to scare people into believing. This is why non-fundies try to make excuses for it and deny hell is a phsyical place.
As we can plainly see, fundies like Derek are exceedingly gullible and easily suckered into believing any old BS.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5861 Nov 13, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
Poor Wimp-Lo once again demonstrates his gross dishonesty... Please note that in the beginning of the post, Wimp-lo states "I think we need to reexamine once again how L.D. Rue (atheist) promotes lying. In his view, atheists cannot live “without lies". At this point, Wimp-Lo is clearly stating that this is the opinion of a single person. The fact is, that L. D. Rue does not represent all atheists, nor are most atheists aware of who he is. One should look at the attempt to bind Mr. Rues' opinion to all atheists, even though the word "atheist" or any form of that word, fails to appear in the quoted text.

Wimp-Lo than goes on to make the unfounded/unsupported claim that "Mr. Rue's perspective is very representative of the typical atheist in this forum. LIES."

In addition, it should be noted that Mr. Rue is speaking of self-deception, not "lies" as our uneducated Wimp-Lo asserts.
Good analysis, and a fine match of Whack-A-Weasel. Championship Poke-A-Mole.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5862 Nov 13, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good analysis, and a fine match of Whack-A-Weasel. Championship Poke-A-Mole.
LOL

Whack-a-Weasel - I love it.

I can picture him popping out of his hole, spouting some inane garbage and shaking his scary chicken on a stick, before popping back down again.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5863 Nov 13, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the hatefulness of the "true christian". Clearly the love of jebus has softend his heart, inspired him to love his fellow man, and has given him peace. Oh, wait, didn't jebus say "Verily I say, only love those who agree with thy beliefs, and "loathe" everyone else"? Wasn't that jebus? Maybe it was mohammad, or buddah, or vishnu..... Eh, they're all the same at the end of the day.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I guess belief in a myth doesn't help a hateful idiot like Wimp-Lo!!! LMAO!!
Who is jebus?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#5864 Nov 13, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! Another example of the insecurity of the spinless godbot!!
My wife was agnostic when we met. LOL!!! That didn't last long!! A little logic and reason goes a long way!!!
I have to tell you all this one(you'll be so proud!). My oldest son is dating a young lady who was a 'go to church every sunday, raised christian from birth, bible thumper. She took great pride in her knowledge of the bible, and "loved jesus". Well, eventually, religion came up, and she was horrified to learn that my son was an atheist. So, he asked me what to do. I advised him to let me talk to her, so he did. That poor girl didn't stand a chance!! LOL!! It took a while, and quite a few talks, but she is now quesioning the very existance of jesus, and is mad at her folks for brainwashing her from birth to believe in such unfounded rubbish. She now considers herself agnostic, and is quickly approaching atheist. Yes, she still attends church because her parents make her go, but she now sees it as unbelievable, and primative. She is a smart girl. Reason and common sense free another ex-cultist.
I have found that the young people are much easier to help. They always have some fear, but it is much easier to get them past that, and they are more open-minded. I wish it was always as easy as this one, but I'll take em when I can!
I hope you don't mind if I butt into this forum. I have read a few of your posts and I can't quite figure out the general direction of this forum. Are you some kind of atheist missionary? For what purpose do you convince people that there is no god? How did you arrive at your conclusion that there is no God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Gary Coaldigger 20,761
John 3:16 15 min superwilly 102
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 min -Stray Dog 245,278
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 11,102
Hitler was Catholic 18 hr Shizle 1
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon thetruth 14,671
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Mon Shizle 23
More from around the web