Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Read more: The Star Press 11,179

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Read more

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5823 Nov 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Exactly. I guess the low IQ spambot has difficulties with theists and atheists can be happy together.
Wifey isn't much on church anyways just likes to go twice a year for the show more than anything I think lol!
I sit there for the hour smiling at the nonsense and off we go :)
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with going to a church, especially cathedrals, if it's not to grovel or underwrite it with a contribution. The stained glass and architecture can be beautiful, and I have always enjoyed the hymns and the choir.

We participate in a few of the Mexican religious holidays, especially Palm Sunday, when we follow an actor playing Jesus as he enters town. The ground is covered in alfalfa http://www.mexico-insights.com/judysblog/imag... and we're all carrying branches of fresh rosemary, chamomile, and swords and the like made of palm leaves: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XdQnoyxoD5Q/SeJSoWl... and we sing hosannas.

Five days later, on good Friday, they scourge Jesus as he drags his cross through the streets, another community event that we like to be there for: http://0.tqn.com/d/gomexico/1/0/s/F/-/-/passi...

And our home is filled with religious art by Mexican artists, including a wall of crosses made of ceramics, wood, and tin http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicemarmot/26353... . St. Francis graces our garden, with an modern,stylized statue of the Virgen on a pedestal. Also, we have a huge Tree of Life with Adam and Eve http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/pbgardenclub/tre... and a Noah's Ark full of animals http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/pbgardenclub/ark... both by Sergio Bustamante.

Why not? As the song says, it's all too beautiful! Just leave the superstition, dogma, ritual, mythology and magical thinking at the door.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#5824 Nov 12, 2012
Ho-hum: atheist posts - the same old non-contributory blah was skimmed through today.

All were worthless, but and a few revealed what fakes they really are in a whole new light:

For example, the hypocrites who enjoy wasting their time at Christmas, going to churches to sing Christmas carols which mean nothing to them.

And other atheists who show they have little or no feelings for their own family members by going to church disrespectfully (“out of respect”) when some relative dies, but sit there thinking of “parasitic worms”[burrowing through] the eyes of their “loved ones”.(With “friends” like them, who needs enemies?)

As always, all posts allegedly “dismissed” by our godless, powerless, self-appointed, sad-sack “judge” remain on the board as valid and will stand, LMAO.......

In summation: All atheists who posted earned special recognition today as hypocritical, dreary, unfeeling, and genuinely unhappy souls. Sorry, but you have left me with no alternative except to add all your posts to the rubbish pile along with all your previously rejected posts.

You know, one thing old Galton may have gotten half right with “eugenics” is that atheists shouldn't reproduce, lol. God blessed that sick old goat with infertility.

But, I always like to leave you with a positive note. Let's see, what should that be? Oh, yes, how about this:“Have a great evening”, lol.

And I try to always say something nice - so allow me to compliment you on your consistency – you are always consistent in trying to defend your fraudulent belief [even though you're unsuccessful; LMAO].

In my next posts, we will take another look at the failed atheist religion, lol.

Location hidden

#5825 Nov 12, 2012
How Does an Atheist Minister Officiate a Wedding?

“It may at first seem contradictory for an atheist to become an online ordained minister in order to officiate his friends’ wedding—after all, marriage is, at least for the traditional Catholic or Christian, a holy sacrament and a compact between bride and groom on one hand, and God on the other. What, then, would drive somebody who rejects not only religion, but also belief in God, to don the title ‘Reverend’ at his friends’ behest? Perhaps the role of minister is not fixed, pre-determined, or dictated, but lies in the minister’s own hands and can be molded by that person to fit the unique needs of the clergy and lay members concerned.

This seems to be the attitude of Irish-Jewish atheist Jason O’Bryan, who became an ordained minister online with Universal Life Church Monastery in order to fulfill his friends Vissy and Harry’s request to perform a non-traditional, modern wedding ceremony for them.”

continued:
http://www.themonastery.org/blog/2010/03/how-...

[Even you do-nothing, small-time atheists reading this forum can be an ordained atheist minister – Isn't that great news? Just visit the Universal Life Church home page. But, as with most churches, you will be asked for a donation. NO freebies – not even for you godless. Your brothas and sistas in the grand old atheist religion want your money, lol.]

Location hidden

#5826 Nov 12, 2012
From - The Universal Life Church [which ordains atheist ministers]:

What Does the Big Bang Theory Mean for Ministers?

“Suppose it were true that the universe came into being out of nothing, without the hand of a creative agent. This poses no problem for atheists who choose to become a minister. The question of God’s existence has little to no practical impact on the function of atheist ministries, which tend to focus on issues of a secular, earthly nature. Nor does it conflict with the theological vision of online churches like the ULC Monastery, which encompasses multiple belief systems, including atheism.”
http://www.themonastery.org/blog/category/sci...

[Wow – check out this statement:
“The question of God’s existence has little to no practical impact on the function of atheist ministries.”........got that?......MINISTRIES.......ye s.....atheism.......the religion of atheists......they have their ministers and ministries.]

[The above is from the church archives under “Archive for the ‘Science’ Category”- the archive correlates atheism with science of course – lmao.....]

Location hidden

#5827 Nov 12, 2012
The Religion of Atheism

“A person's religion is the sum total of his beliefs about God and the supernatural.

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are the three largest "monotheistic" religions, with belief one God, Creator Of The Universe.

Some religions are "polytheistic," with belief in many gods, each with different functions.

Atheism is the religion whose belief about God is that there is no God.”

http://patriot.net/~bmcgin/atheismisareligion...

Location hidden

#5828 Nov 12, 2012
I think we need to reexamine once again how L.D. Rue (atheist) promotes lying. In his view, atheists cannot live “without lies”:

“The Noble Lie”

“In 1991 L. D. Rue confronted the issue of absurdity and boldly advocated that man should deceive himself by means of a “Noble Lie” into believe that the universe still has value. By denying any objective teleology, self-fulfillment becomes radically privatized: each person chooses his own set of values and meaning.”

[What a disorderly world when they do that......]

continued:

“One has no choice but to embrace some Noble Lie that will inspire one to live beyond selfish interests. The Noble Lie “is one that deceives us, tricks us, and compels us beyond self-interest, beyond ego, beyond family, nation,[and] race.”“Without such lies, we cannot live.”

Rue’s Noble Lie does not appear to solve the notion of absurdity. Why should one sacrifice self-interest for a fiction? The Noble Lie is the greatest placebo that accomplishes its feat of illusion. Rue’s problem, as for anyone who constructs any Noble Lie, is that he values deeply personal fulfillment and wholeness. This would include objective values, which according to his philosophy do not exist. The Noble Lie option thus affirms what it denies and so refutes itself.”
http://sententias.org/tag/ld-rue/

[Mr. Rue's perspective is very representative of the typical atheist in this forum. LIES. Thank you Mr. Rue.....]

Fennario

#5829 Nov 12, 2012
Khatru wrote:
On the rare occasion I go [to a church] it's out of respect for someone.
derek4 wrote:
You go “out of respect”? Why? There was no respect. They would have been fine without your presence. In fact, they were probably glad when you left.
Look at the poverty of spirit in that answer. We will all be better off when secularist values replace your Christian values as the dominant paradigm in American society.

Fennario

#5830 Nov 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
For example, the hypocrites who enjoy wasting their time at Christmas, going to churches to sing Christmas carols which mean nothing to them.
Christmas carols mean nothing to anybody. But they can be beautiful. Apparently, the hip-hop contingent has been getting into them as well. From TopFiveDOTcom come

THE TOP HIP HOP CHRISTMAS SONGS

6. Jingle Bell Glock

5. O Lil' Kim of Bethlehem

4. All I Want for Christmas is My Two Gold Teeth

3. Violent Night

2. Police Navidad

and the Number 1 Hip Hop Holiday Song...

1. Whose Kid Is This, Bitch?!?

What happened to your holiday? Nowadays, Christmas seems to have been co-opted by Ice Giants from the North Pole. Jesus seems to have been removed from it.

No more creches with camels or baby Jesus in a crib in a manger. Instead, the camels and the sand have been replaced by reindeer and snow. Joseph has been replaced by Santa. Mary has replaced by Frosty the Snowman. Jesus has been kidnapped by Santa: http://www.galesgifts.com/images/_products/ga... .

And there were no Christmas trees, yule logs, tinsel, Christmas lights, holly wreathes, flocking, or mistletoe in Bethlehem, were there?

Even your precious carols songs about Jesus have been replaced by "Jingle Bells" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer." O holy!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#5831 Nov 12, 2012
I know many atheists who attend church just for family and friends. They go for companionship.

Wifey likes the Christmas and Easter shows lol otherwise we skip it. Cool pictures man and yes I have went site seeing in the Philippines to some really cool old catholic churches they have down there.

It's interesting but certainly I don't pay the myth any attention other then to chuckle at it.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with going to a church, especially cathedrals, if it's not to grovel or underwrite it with a contribution. The stained glass and architecture can be beautiful, and I have always enjoyed the hymns and the choir.
We participate in a few of the Mexican religious holidays, especially Palm Sunday, when we follow an actor playing Jesus as he enters town. The ground is covered in alfalfa http://www.mexico-insights.com/judysblog/imag... and we're all carrying branches of fresh rosemary, chamomile, and swords and the like made of palm leaves: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XdQnoyxoD5Q/SeJSoWl... and we sing hosannas.
Five days later, on good Friday, they scourge Jesus as he drags his cross through the streets, another community event that we like to be there for: http://0.tqn.com/d/gomexico/1/0/s/F/-/-/passi...
And our home is filled with religious art by Mexican artists, including a wall of crosses made of ceramics, wood, and tin http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicemarmot/26353... . St. Francis graces our garden, with an modern,stylized statue of the Virgen on a pedestal. Also, we have a huge Tree of Life with Adam and Eve http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/pbgardenclub/tre... and a Noah's Ark full of animals http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/pbgardenclub/ark... both by Sergio Bustamante.
Why not? As the song says, it's all too beautiful! Just leave the superstition, dogma, ritual, mythology and magical thinking at the door.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5832 Nov 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Bye......I'll be back......again, and again, and again.....lol.
Yes, we know you have no life .... or job .... or friends ... or just about anything that makes people like you feel complete.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5833 Nov 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You go “out of respect”? Why? There was no respect. They would have been fine without your presence. In fact, they were probably glad when you left.
When I lived in the shelters I went for food. Of course they didn't care that I just mocked your god when I was asked about it, it doesn't matter, because that's how indoctrination works, they make you have to go. Most people were too weak, an eventually succumbed to the indoctrination of christianity. They're still living in the shelters to this day, I'm not.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5834 Nov 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop buying those economy brain cells; they are not your friend.

Once again we see how your vile religion cheapens your view of people.

You can't see it but there's plenty of respect - it's mutual and it's for friends.

That's all we need.

Nottingham, UK

#5835 Nov 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
H
No doubt carols and hymns mean a lot to you.

Here's one from 17th century writer of hymns, Isaac Watts, who wrote:

"Lord, I ascribe it to thy grace,
and not to chance, as others do,
That I was born of a christian race
and not a heathen or a jew."

Can't you just feel the seething hatred and bigotry in these lines?

No doubt you love it.

Nottingham, UK

#5836 Nov 12, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Look at the poverty of spirit in that answer. We will all be better off when secularist values replace your Christian values as the dominant paradigm in American society.
Absolutely

He really shows himself and his divisive religion up for the disgusting things that they are.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#5837 Nov 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Moving to Mexico was a huge step. We live in a beautiful climate in the mountains, and have and need no need for central air or heat any more.
We walk almost everywhere, so we we only fill the car about every ten weeks - about five times a year...
Thanks for sharing that. Sounds great. We have to get of the rat race, and make living life our priority...One day.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#5838 Nov 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Congratulations! Yes, I am proud of you.
<quoted text>
Well done. And yes, young people are salvageable, whereas their parents rarely are.
Here's my chance to brag. We just got our carbon footprint down to nearly zero, and it's got me walking on air (wink, wink, nod, nod).
Moving to Mexico was a huge step. We live in a beautiful climate in the mountains, and have and need no need for central air or heat any more.
We walk almost everywhere, so we we only fill the car about every ten weeks - about five times a year.
And we switched out our tungsten incandescent bulbs for fluorescent bulbs, although we still have several 40 watt halogen bulbs on dimmers.
Many of our appliances utilize propane, but the big consumer there was the hot water heater, which supplies not just the showers, but the dishwasher and clothes dryer as well. To conserve, my wife was using a dish rack and a clothes line. Still, we refilled our propane tank four times a year.
We just installed an array of solar panels and a solar water heater (with propane backup) last Friday at an expense of $8000 USD. We now generate almost as much power than we consume, which is about 9-10 kwh/day. In 72 hours, we have generated 28 kwh of energy, spared the atmosphere 16 kg of CO2 emissions, and saved almost ten bucks on an already low power bill.
We expect our propane consumption to drop to 25% of what it had been, meaning one tank a year.
The next step is to switch out the stylish 40 watt halogen bulbs for 2 watt LED bulbs, which are quite expensive (almost thirty dollars for the first one, a test bulb, which was quite bright but doesn't dim, with seventeen more to go). This will make our net power consumption less than zero, meaning that we will be part of the local power grid, supplying a little energy that won't have to come from burning fossil fuels. This will be a gift from us to México.
The final step, if we feel especially generous and environmentally conscious, will be to upgrade our system by 50% from the 8 panels we are presently using to 12 panels, the most our inverter can handle. Mrs. Aint want to light up the garden at night, meaning another 2 kwh of energy consumption a day, and we feel that it would be more than a fair trade if we spend the extra $2000 on the upgrade and contribute another 3-4 kwh/day of clean energy to the community.
The return on our initial investment comes in five years, which is quicker than usual, because we have about 350 sunny days a year. With the upgrades, it will push it out to eight years, since we aren't paid for the energy we contribute. But we don't care. It isn't about money.
So, congratulations to both of us - you for saving a life, and us for saving a few barrels of oil.
Congratulations! It's good to see that someone cares!! Great job!!

Orefield, PA

#5839 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the hatefulness of the "true christian". Clearly the love of jebus has softend his heart, inspired him to love his fellow man, and has given him peace. Oh, wait, didn't jebus say "Verily I say, only love those who agree with thy beliefs, and "loathe" everyone else"? Wasn't that jebus? Maybe it was mohammad, or buddah, or vishnu..... Eh, they're all the same at the end of the day.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I guess belief in a myth doesn't help a hateful idiot like Wimp-Lo!!! LMAO!!

Orefield, PA

#5840 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Ho-hum: atheist posts - the same old non-contributory blah was skimmed through today.
Mostly unread.
Running away is what Wimp-Lo does best.
He is a true, troll. No wonder no one takes him seriously. Truly he has earned the "clown act of Topix" title. LOL!!

It is sad that he craves authority so bad, cannot earn it in the real world, so he lurks around the Topix forum, bravely judging others, and childishly proclaiming victory over the strawmen he has erected.
Although we need janitors like Wimp-Lo to clean up after us, he is obviously not happy with his lifes vocation. Let this be a lesson to the younger readers.... Stay in school, and study hard. You don't want to end up like poor, inadequate, bitter, self-hateing, cowardly, Wimp-Lo. There he is, sitting at the free internet computer at Wal-mart, complaining about how long it takes for the computer to reload a page, while people pass by him feeling sorry for the "poor, babbling, religious, nut" LOL!!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5841 Nov 13, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Climate change has occured ever since there was a climate.

That's not what eco-dunces like you mean when you say "climate change". You mean a disruption of natural cycles due to man.

It's a lie.

It's not just a lie. It's a calculated one.

Will Obama lower the sea level as he promised, now that he has 4 more years to do it? I didn't hear how far he dropped it in his first term, but it must have been an impressive distance.

Do you know? You seem to be up on these things. How many inches has Obama lowered the sea level so far?

Did he lower it as much as Bush raised it?

When can I ride my Harley to Hawaii?

Bwahahahaha..
Tree stump.

You have all the intelligence, without the personality, of a tree stump.

An old, rotting tree stump.

Bwahaha.

Dolt.

Orefield, PA

#5842 Nov 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
From - The Universal Life Church [which ordains atheist ministers]:
What Does the Big Bang Theory Mean for Ministers?
“Suppose it were true that the universe came into being out of nothing, without the hand of a creative agent. This poses no problem for atheists who choose to become a minister. The question of God’s existence has little to no practical impact on the function of atheist ministries, which tend to focus on issues of a secular, earthly nature. Nor does it conflict with the theological vision of online churches like the ULC Monastery, which encompasses multiple belief systems, including atheism.”
http://www.themonastery.org/blog/category/sci...
[Wow – check out this statement:
“The question of God’s existence has little to no practical impact on the function of atheist ministries.”........got that?......MINISTRIES.......ye s.....atheism.......the religion of atheists......they have their ministers and ministries.]
[The above is from the church archives under “Archive for the ‘Science’ Category”- the archive correlates atheism with science of course – lmao.....]
Poor, sad, little, Whimp-Lo. He still can't seem to understand parody, or isolated instance. Although he wouldn't want to use the Westboro Baptist church as an example of all christians, he tries in vain to dishonestly paint atheism as a religon because of a few folks who use relion based titles. I guess logic, and common sense are beyond him. Well, he is a godbot, so one cannot expect too much in the way of logic or common sense from him. LOL!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 11 min Samoan Irish 322
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Dogen 18,471
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr DebraE 14,555
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr DebraE 6,673
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Uncle Sam 237,706
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 5 hr James 7,399
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 6 hr James 19
More from around the web