Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 158)

Showing posts 3,141 - 3,160 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
If I have a green car the fact that it's green does not diminish if a color blind man thinks his cars is green too.
Nor does it diminish if you believe cars don't exist. I still have my car and when I look at it, it's green.
In other words, your god is no more real or proveable than the other gods people worship.

No problem.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"You have chosen the narrowest possible definition of the word."
WRONG !
I have listed all of the definition listed in my Merriam-Webster app.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective
athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
UNO - ONE, that's all folks.
I'm not making anything up, not adding, twisting or taking anything out of context. I have listed all listed definitions under the source I have quoted.
In other words I have listed a factual definition of the word atheist.
Don't like the definition? Change your faith!
Atheists feel more intellectual when they try to pass themselves off as complicated. They also try to re-write dictionaries, lol. I have some past posts of my own about that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it's because loopy langoliers and dumb derek are one and the same, eh?
Khatru, how nice to see you're on the forum, even as I write. Every time I see you, I think of the High Priestess of Atheism, lol. Hope your day is going great. Let me know when you finish that Alain de Botton book.

No, I still give Langoliers credit for being the expert on Noah and his family, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Nice! It's exactly what's Langoliers has been posting!!
The funniest thing is they can't figure out why!
I know.

It must be painful for atheists when their own children are turning against them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, the opinion of a mindless,uneducated, racist POS like you means nothing.
Hows that proof of a god coming? LOL!! I guess when you figured out that you were worshipping a nothing, you got all pissy. It shows.
You sound kind of under the weather today. I hope you're not getting that nasty old flu that's been going around in Orefield.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Again you post more evidence that you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old. No wonder you're a godbot. Heck, you aren't even smart enough to know what an atheist is!!
Does it make you mad to know that your god is an unproven myth, and you still cling to a pathetic hope because you are so full of fear?
Any luck proving your fairy tale is anything more than a nothing? Just think, I am more real than your silly, make-believe god!! I am suprised you don't fall down and worship me!!! Heck, at least I'm real, and obviously superior to you in every possible way!!
Instead of you worrying about the God I believe in, you need to worry about that suspicious science god you worship, lol. He's been found guilty of fraud and misconduct. LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Quoteing from an apologist website... How convincing!! LMAO!!!
You had better bow down to Vishnu. He is obviously better than jesus. LOL!!!
Isn't it funny though? Atheism is on the rise! It comes with education, so we don't have to worry about a dullard like you ever becoming an atheist.
I quoted from an apologist website?

Well, look how many atheist websites I've posted from about your religion, lol. And you didn't like those posts either, lol not even the one from your own brothers and sisters!

Since I'm kind of tired of reading about religious atheists, I thought it was about time I posted from an apologist website, as you call it.

But just so you don't feel left out, I think I still have some more material saved back from the atheist religion websites to post fer 'ya later, lol.

By the way, the article didn't dispute atheism on the rise. That wasn't the point of the article. It was about you losing your kiddos because they are going to convert to theism. However, it was also explained that atheism is also getting NEW converts, so in the broader sense, atheism is on the incline (even after your kiddos betray you).

Sooooooo that's how I know you didn't bother to READ the article.

You were too busy picking yore boogers to read it, and like you always do, you couldn't wait to hit your reply button and start typing, like you always do. The result is, you showed us your ignorance AGAIN.

I love it, but I can only imagine how embarrassing it is for you, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
"...if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity." ~Carl Sagan
Hello, Hedonist. Nice, as always to see you again. I trust you're having a great Sunday.

Not quite sure what to tell Mr. Sagan, since I haven't found a specific example of an atheist praying to the law of gravity (even though some may).

I think the best thing to tell him is that an atheist can express his religious faith in many different ways.

I did post this earlier, in case you missed it:

ATHEIST PRAYER
Our Powers are within,
Whatever be their name.
What they have done, what still may come,
This Earth can yet be as Heaven.
Live then this day, and without dread,
And forgive your own trespasses
As you forgive those who trespass against you.
And be not led into temptation,
But flee away from evil,
For Time is the Healer,
With power to restore me,
Forever and ever, Amen.
http://packham.n4m.org/atheist2.htm

Also found within the text at the above link:

Can an atheist pray? Why not? I don't believe in God - at least not the God as described by the majority of theists - but I DO believe that there is plenty of evidence that we human beings can summon up powers to help us in difficult times. I don't venture to guess whether these powers are within us or outside us, but I don't think it matters what their source is, they are there. And we can benefit from them.

continued:

... theres no need to give up religious practice, just because youve decided that the idea of a Creator doesnt make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the personal prayer I talked about in this post if thats part of your tradition). I realize, living in the Bay Area, that Im in a bubble of enlightened religious thinking, where many reformed communities are completely tolerant of naturalistic philosophies like Darwinism. Richard Dawkins criticizes these types as religious moderates, trying to find middle ground where none exists. Maybe thats a valid criticism in some cases, but theres more to religion than belief (especially in the case of Judaism). There are powerful psychological factors involved in community, ritual, and practice that bind us to each other, and help us in our own personal growth, and we dont have to believe in God to take advantage of these things.
http://jdmoyer.com/2011/07/25/why-as-an-athei...

... just because youve decided that the idea of a Creator doesnt make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the personal prayer I talked about in this post.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
No he is real, just not provable.
Boy I am sure happy you aren't having any problems with all of this.
Amen - thanks for sharing!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
No he is real, just not provable.
Boy I am sure happy you aren't having any problems with all of this.
Khatru was trying to make a point, and failed.

Langs was posting about atheists being in the minority.

Khatru replied to him: "You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?

Langs replied,100% LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

An American First? Atheist to Deliver Invocation 'Prayer' for Tulsa City Council

For what might be the first time in the history of the United States, possibly the whole world, an atheist will deliver the opening "prayer" at a government meeting.

continued:

On Thursday night, atheist (and a founder of the Humanist Association of Tulsa) Dan Nerren will deliver the opening invocation at the Tulsa City Council meeting.

[The invocation] advocates the Humanist perspective without denigrating religion along the way. It's something everybody ought to be able to agree with, as opposed to the religious invocations that necessarily exclude those who don't believe in the chosen god.

continued:

Here's the full invocation, which sounds quite reasonable to me:

Let us open our hearts to the welfare of all people in our community by respecting the inherent dignity and worth of each person, and realize our differences of race, religion, and party affiliation are merely superficial. Our common humanity unites us all, and may we recognize that through our interdependence we share a common fate.

In order to achieve the greatest good as citizens of Tulsa, it is important for us to maintain an open mind, and honor and respect the human rights of each other. We should consider the benefit provided by differing perspectives, and be willing to question assumptions that serve only to obstruct our path to progress.

Rather than bowing our heads and closing our eyes in deference, we should open our eyes widely to face the reality that confronts us, without losing sight of our ideals of what we could achieve.

Through the prudent use of reason and compassion we can ensure the success of this great city.

Lastly, we must remember that in the face of adversity we need not look above for answers, but instead recognize the proven potential within ourselves and in each other to overcome any challenges we face.

Thank you.

It seems to me that saying "let's all try to get along" is a far more productive and inclusive invocation than, "My deity, not yours, will make sure we pass laws that suit us, not you."

Now let's wait and see how many Christians object to this offensively inclusive invocation. Perhaps start a drinking game: Take a shot whenever a protester or Fox News presenter claims that the USA is one nation "Under God."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-falzon/a...

Now let's wait and see how many Christians object to this offensively inclusive invocation.

[I doubt most Christians gave it much thought I couldn't find much on it, so apparently the Christians just tuned it out as insignificant, lol.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

This post dedicated to Khatru and all other praying atheists:

An atheist's prayer

One need not believe in God to experience the benefits of praying for moral guidance.

The last 2 paragraphs:

We are more used to thinking of prayer in moments of quandary and yet even here, surely the process can be a morally philosophical one, not just (as I grant it may be in certain life-and-death situations) a last-minute plea for succour. Everyone has experienced a time when they have been torn between right and wrong on the one hand and their own desires, yearnings, pleasures and joys on the other. Everyone has experienced the desire to go for a walk, to contemplate, to clear their head, to think things through and listen to their inner guide. What is that, really, but a kind of prayer? And what is that but a moral process? It is a way of encountering one's own sins, one's proclivities, one's selfishness and two-facedness. It is an intellectual and deeply personal process that requires moral braveness and does not always yield the answers we may selfishly want.

One does not always return from prayer rewarded and refreshed; one might be disturbed to have encountered one's own hypocrisies and those who believe in God may regard that inner disturbance as a sign of His disapproval. Though it may pain us, prayer at its most effective can show us the difference between what gives us momentary pleasure and what is ultimately right.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...

One need not believe in God to experience the benefits of praying for moral guidance.

Everyone has experienced the desire to go for a walk, to contemplate, to clear their head, to think things through and listen to their inner guide. What is that, really, but a kind of prayer?

[prayer us a way of] encountering one's own sins-[atheists realize they sin.]

prayer at its most effective ...[Atheists recognize the effectiveness of prayer.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

From ABC News:

[For the uninformed in the forum, ABC News is not a creationist website.]

"Atheists Who Go to Church: Doing It for the Children"

He probably wont get down on his knees, but that fellow sitting near you during the Sunday church service just might be an atheist. And a scientist.

[Note the relationship between atheism and science. Science and scientists are consistently mentioned together with atheism / atheists.]

A new study out of Rice University has found that 17 percent about one out of five scientists who describe themselves as either atheists or agnostics actually go to church, although not too often, and not because they feel a spiritual yearning to join the faithful.

More likely, its because of the kids.

What? Why would somebody who doesnt believe theres a god want his own offspring wasting their time in an enterprise he believes has no foundation in fact? Especially a scientist.

The study, by sociologists Elaine Howard Ecklund of Rice and Kristen Schultz Lee of the University at Buffalo, found that many atheists want their children exposed to religion so that they can make up their own minds on what to believe. In addition, church may provide a better understanding of morality and ethics, and occasionally attending services may ease the conflict between spouses who disagree over the value of religion to their children, the study contends.

The research, published in the December issue of the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, was based on in-depth interviews with 275 scientists at 21 elite research universities in the United States. Sixty-one percent of the participants described themselves as either atheists or agnostics, and 17 percent of the non-believers had attended church more than once in the past year.

Some actually see it as part of their scientific identity, Ecklund said in a telephone interview.They want to teach their children to be free thinkers, to give them religious choices, and so they take their children to religious organizations just to give them exposure to religion.

[Science again, lol.]

continued:

Still, it may seem a bit odd for some atheists to perceive church as a desired community at a time when many leading atheists are calling on their colleagues to come out of the closet and take a public stand against religion. Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, physicist
Victor Stenger and others see religion as a source of evil in the world.

They contend that science has moved beyond a belief in the supernatural, partly because science has answered some questions that were previously left up to clerics. Evolution, for example, provides a naturalist explanation for how we got here.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12...

[Science, science, science atheism and science are so interwoven, they're almost the same.]

[It is important to note that atheists recognize the values that church teaches their children, which proves those same atheists know that the atheist lifestyle is found lacking in morals and values otherwise, they wouldn't be taking their children to church.]

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I can define God.
God is the supernatural being that will
Hold judgement over your soul.
The definition you provide for your deity is a simple one.

Ah well, at least you don't lie by trying to claim your god is perfect.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes watch and learn!
What is wrong with the person that post under the name Khatru?
God - what's right with him?
See he definitely knows you!
What does his voice sound like?

Is it resonant like James Earl Jones?

Is it dramatic like Richard Burton?

Is it husky like James Mason?

Or does he speak with an annoying American accent like Jerry Lewis?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't know this before today?
Wow are you ever dumb!
Just checking you were aware that your god is no more special than anyone else's deity, that's all.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru was trying to make a point, and failed.
Langs was posting about atheists being in the minority.
Khatru replied to him: "You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?
Langs replied,100% LOL
Of course that 100% was only after your god had slaughtered humanity.

Noah and his family were in the minority before the blood lust arose in your mass murdering maniac of a deity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course that 100% was only after your god had slaughtered humanity.
Noah and his family were in the minority before the blood lust arose in your mass murdering maniac of a deity.
The slaughtered ones had their chance for redemption and "missed the boat" - that's our point.

So --- you're finally catching on that it doesn't pay to mess with God, lol.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I HOPE it's at me, lol.
Everyone around him is laughing...
LMAO, LMAO, and LMAO.
You mean the atheists? The dregs of the earth? The nobodies?
Well, Serpy,dead meat don't count.
LOL
Are you on meth? You seem bizarrely agitated...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes watch and learn!
What is wrong with the person that post under the name Khatru?
God - what's right with him?
See he definitely knows you!
So, your god is your split personality. We already knew that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 3,141 - 3,160 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 41 min CunningLinguist 223,061
Why do i deserve no respect. 5 hr Patrick 6
Our world came from nothing? 9 hr Igor Trip 24
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 18 hr Mikko 21,328
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••