Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
3,101 - 3,120 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
I deleted the crap parts.
LOL!!!!
"A true atheist" ROTFLMAO!!!!!
You were born an atheist, and were brainwashed into your religious delusions shortly afterward.
You lack the IQ, and the balls to be an atheist.
I do love the way you post about atheists being bullies, but you yourself stated that you are here to "insult and berate", which was followed by your fantasy of going out with your friends and beating atheists.
LOL!!! You lying, godbot, hypocrites are all the same.
Thanks for your compliments. You have shown great faith in your religion, but you must always remember pray to your science god to give you the wisdom you are lacking, lol.

You're such an angry little nothing of a man. I bet you're a short little runt, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>
I deleted the crap parts.
LOL!!!!
"A true atheist" ROTFLMAO!!!!!
You were born an atheist, and were brainwashed into your religious delusions shortly afterward.
You lack the IQ, and the balls to be an atheist.
I do love the way you post about atheists being bullies, but you yourself stated that you are here to "insult and berate", which was followed by your fantasy of going out with your friends and beating atheists.
LOL!!! You lying, godbot, hypocrites are all the same.
Thanks for your compliments. You have shown great faith in your religion, but you must always remember pray to your science god to give you the wisdom you are lacking, lol.

You're an angry little atheist, aren't you. I bet you're a short little runt, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Oh look, Wimp-lo is a scumbag racist too!!
Now why doesn't that surprise me?
Hey, that sermon from Rastus was sho 'nuff good stuff wasn't it?

Yes, Lawdy!

Let's post it again fo you an all yo brothas and sistas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
See what you are missing by not going to the atheist church? All those sermons you would like.
This was my suggestion : The First Atheist Church of the Non Credo Quia Absurdum Est.

We would have no building, no scriptures, no dogma, no clergy (I refuse and nobody else is willing either), no rituals, no observances, no mythology, no rituals, no magic, and we would never meet, collect money, or even communicate with one another.

Why do it? For tax exempt status on the building, to start.

As the self-ordained head of the church, I would expect to be eligible for a job as a cruise ship chaplain.

And also, as a minister of atheism, my communications with other atheists would all be exempt from legal discovery.

Why else, apart from mocking organized religion? I don't want to steal from the gullible or make people obey me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Oh look, Wimp-lo is a scumbag racist too!!
Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Yes, Lawdy!

Glad you enjoyed it, brotha!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists don't believe in gods. Note the plural - not the singular.
Note: no deity means not one or more!

\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>KJV wrote, "
Here is the meaning of the word.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-is t\
noun
"

By using this definition, KJV defeats himself.

He doesn't believe in Krishna, who just happens to be a deity.

Therefore, according to his own definition, KJV is an atheist.
Dolt!

If one believes in at least one deity of their choosing (fool) then they are NOT an atheist.

Do you really not understand this?

Go play Fireball XL5

"Thunderbirds are GO"
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>It's not atheists as you definite it doing anything. There are too few people making the positive claim that gods cannot or do not exist to accomplish anything. Just ask "2.3%" Langoliers.

It's those of us like me that you call agnostics that are grouping ourselves with those atheists. For example, I don't claim that no god exists. I claim that your god, the Jews' god, and the Muslim's god don't exist. But there may have been a race of gods, for example, that created the singularity that led to the Big Bang. I just don't know. How could I?

I am as agnostic as anybody else that doesn't claim to have certain knowledge about the matter. But I am an agnostic atheist, because I'm not a theist.

What people like me care about is how strong or weak the American church is in determining laws, traditions, and mores. We're watching the numbers of those standing by the church dwindle. It really doesn't matter if they call themselves atheist, agnostic, freethinkers, skeptics, humanists, rationalists, unbelievers, or irreligious - just as long as they aren't empowering the church with tithes or voting according to whichever issues and candidates the church tells them to, for example. They're my allies because they're not part of the theistic problem, and I call them all atheists.

Why do Christians seem to fear the word "atheist" so much? Shouldn't you care more about what a person believes than what he calls it? Maybe you just don't want others to know how many of us there are rejecting religion, and prefer to keep our numbers looking small.

Speaking of which, were you aware that American Protestants have fallen below the 50%mark for the first time ever? From "As Protestants decline, those with no religion gain" at http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1618445...

"In the 1960s, two in three Americans called themselves Protestant. Now the Protestant group -- both evangelical and mainline -- has slid below the statistical waters, down to 48%, from 53% in 2007."
Then you are not an Atheist.
Looks like they lost another one!

LOL

Look the fact is while church going Theist numbers in the united states has dropped. This is well documented. It is also well documented that nonbelievers "agnostic" out number atheist 6 to 1
And Theist out number atheist about 42 to 1.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>The word "atheist" has more than one definition because it is used in more than one way, as this discussion and many dictionaries attests. Language is dynamic, and lexicographers describe how language is used. The do not command that it be limited to any particular usage.

You really can't stop that process. Would you insist that the word "you" is incorrect and insist that the correct word is "ye" or "thou" because that once was the case? It's not any more.
This is all the definition in Merriam-Webster. I'm not changing a thing

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective
athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
First use: 1551

That's it! One definition that's all folks.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>You have chosen the narrowest possible definition of the word.

The Oxford Dictionary defines atheism as "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." Which is much broader in scope and much more accurate.

As I have pointed out before atheism is a category which defines ALL philosophies not included under the category theism.

Both the Encyclopedia of Philosophy and the Encyclopedia Britannica also point out that the most inclusive definition of atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

Your insistence that atheists "believe" is a strawman argument. Atheists do NOT claim that all deities have been disproven. Atheists claim that no deities have ever been proven.
"You have chosen the narrowest possible definition of the word."

WRONG !

I have listed all of the definition listed in my Merriam-Webster app.

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective
athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

UNO - ONE, that's all folks.

I'm not making anything up, not adding, twisting or taking anything out of context. I have listed all listed definitions under the source I have quoted.

In other words I have listed a factual definition of the word atheist.

Don't like the definition? Change your faith!

KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>Since a box of rocks has double you IQ, I guess it's possible, but you lose every time.

How's that proof of the cloud gremlim coming along?

Oops, it looks like you lose again! LOL!!!!!!
Box of Rocks - 2
Snake boy - 0
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>Yeah, tell it to the dictionary!!!

Below you will find the definition for "God". Please note the bottom line where it says "Other Mythology and Folklore Terms
elysian, fay, muse, nimbus, phoenix". LOL!!!!!!!!
It looks like Merriam-Websters has it right!!! Mythology and folklore!!

god noun \&#712;gäd also &#712;go&#775;d\

as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler
See god defined for English-language learners »
See god defined for kids »
Examples of GOD
Does she believe in God?
I pray to God that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
a myth about the god of war
an offering for the gods
a professor who was regarded as a kind of god
a guitar god like Jimi Hendrix
Origin of GOD
Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
First Known Use: before 12th century
Related to GOD
Synonyms: divinity, deity
Related Words: angel, demigod, demon (or daemon), devil, spirit, supernaturalsee all synonyms and antonyms
[+]more[-]hide
Other Mythology and Folklore Terms
elysian, fay, muse, nimbus, phoenix
"Definition of GOD
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality"

Yup.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

<quoted text>Hows your belief in that "mythology and folklore" going?

Just think, you could prove Merriam-Webster wrong if you could only prove that your silly, baby, beliefs were not just "mythology and folklore", by coughing up some proof......
Any luck with that yet?
"Definition of GOD
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality"

Very well, thank you for asking.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>The list of atheist names includes Michael Newdow, your hero, lol.

I think someone already gave you the rest of the list:
How's this?
KittenKoder
The serpent was right
Hedonist
Reason Personified
Kong
Just Think
Khatru
Givemeliberty
NightSerf
Aerobatty
The laughing atheist
Double Fine
The Dude
Skippy
MikeF
Madscot
MrDesoto1
scaritual
It aint necessarily so

[but you'll probably notice, we've lost a few of the “faithful” atheists along the way, lmao]
You got to love it. ;)
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).

LOL

Nice! It's exactly what's Langoliers has been posting!!

The funniest thing is they can't figure out why!

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I HOPE it's at me, lol.
Everyone around him is laughing...
LMAO, LMAO, and LMAO.
You mean the atheists? The dregs of the earth? The nobodies?
Well, Serpy,dead meat don't count.
LOL
Again, the opinion of a mindless,uneducated, racist POS like you means nothing.

Hows that proof of a god coming? LOL!! I guess when you figured out that you were worshipping a nothing, you got all pissy. It shows.

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're such an angry little nothing of a man. I bet you're a short little runt, lol.
Again you post more evidence that you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old. No wonder you're a godbot. Heck, you aren't even smart enough to know what an atheist is!!

Does it make you mad to know that your god is an unproven myth, and you still cling to a pathetic hope because you are so full of fear?

Any luck proving your fairy tale is anything more than a nothing? Just think, I am more real than your silly, make-believe god!! I am suprised you don't fall down and worship me!!! Heck, at least I'm real, and obviously superior to you in every possible way!!

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Lawdy!
No surprise that you are a racist, hater. Heck, most of your type are, deep down inside. Do African Americans make you mad too? I bet they do. Why do you hate so much? Is it because you worship a little nothing?

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Continued:
Quoteing from an apologist website... How convincing!! LMAO!!!
You had better bow down to Vishnu. He is obviously better than jesus. LOL!!!

Isn't it funny though? Atheism is on the rise! It comes with education, so we don't have to worry about a dullard like you ever becoming an atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Igor Trip 21,393
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 224,164
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 217
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 13 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 15 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 15 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••