Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#3224 Oct 14, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies.
You couldn't bring back a boomerang.
It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. The facts remain. It's really quite simple. I just get them to read that ridiculas book of bronze age crap with the proper perspective, and it doesn't take long before they figure it out. Kids are the easiest because they are still willing to break away from their brainwashing.

Orefield, PA

#3225 Oct 14, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No news flash here.
Snake boy debates a box of rocks!
Snake boy loses debate.
Since a box of rocks has double you IQ, I guess it's possible, but you lose every time.

How's that proof of the cloud gremlim coming along?

Oops, it looks like you lose again! LOL!!!!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#3226 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
I will correct you every time you're wrong, until I decide to stop or disregard you becuase you're not worth my time, lol.
Did you think that there was information in that sentence? It was tautological. We all do everything that we are doing until we stop. Like now. I'll write this post until I stop. You already knew that, just as we all already knew that you would continue doing whatever it is you're doing with The Serpent until you decided not to do it any more.

You really could learn a lot from the skeptics posting here if you slowed down a little and paid attention.

Just kidding, Derek. I realize that that is off limits. Who do you suppose decided that for you? Who taught you not to listen to people like us? And why?

Orefield, PA

#3227 Oct 14, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell it to the dictionary!
Yeah, tell it to the dictionary!!!

Below you will find the definition for "God". Please note the bottom line where it says "Other Mythology and Folklore Terms
elysian, fay, muse, nimbus, phoenix". LOL!!!!!!!!
It looks like Merriam-Websters has it right!!! Mythology and folklore!!

god noun \&#712;gd also &#712;go&#775;d\
Definition of GOD
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler
See god defined for English-language learners
See god defined for kids
Examples of GOD
Does she believe in God?
I pray to God that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
a myth about the god of war
an offering for the gods
a professor who was regarded as a kind of god
a guitar god like Jimi Hendrix
Origin of GOD
Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
First Known Use: before 12th century
Related to GOD
Synonyms: divinity, deity
Related Words: angel, demigod, demon (or daemon), devil, spirit, supernaturalsee all synonyms and antonyms
[+]more[-]hide
Other Mythology and Folklore Terms
elysian, fay, muse, nimbus, phoenix

Orefield, PA

#3228 Oct 14, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No
Here is the meaning of the word.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
Hows your belief in that "mythology and folklore" going?

Just think, you could prove Merriam-Webster wrong if you could only prove that your silly, baby, beliefs were not just "mythology and folklore", by coughing up some proof......
Any luck with that yet?

Orefield, PA

#3229 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"Many Christians, myself included, do not necessarily support Martin Luther or his positions"
More to the point, too many do.
derek4 wrote:
"It may surprise you, but Martin Luther isn't God to Christians."

It may surprise you, but just as the bible's authors themselves, almost anybody thumping a bible while smiling and saying "Jesus! Jesus!" a lot is accepted by most Christians listening as a spokesman for your god. That's how it works. That's how it worked for Hitler."
And that's what makes your religion so dangerous.

derek4 wrote:
"I could research it and see if Martin Luther said that or not. However, I don't know why I would bother"
You wouldn't bother. It doesn't support your conclusions.

Thanks to IANS. This was so good, I had to repost it.

Orefield, PA

#3230 Oct 14, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Could he possible be that dumb as not to realize that?
<quoted text>
I think he has demonstrated that many times.

Fennario

#3231 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Why I left atheism and people like you
Let me put it to you simply: you're bullies. You people enjoy ridiculing, and accusing anyone of having faith or belief delusional."
You people have your nerve crying "bully." Your people burned mine at the stake when they could. They impaled us in the iron maiden and twisted us on the rack.

They still call us vile, abominations, forsaken by god, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, worthy of eternal torment, unpatriotic, without morals, unfit to serve in elective office, as coaches, jurors, witnesses, teachers, and adoptive parents.

Now you want to cry about it when we finally have a voice to answer back? Pat Condell said it well:

"Ive been hearing quite a lot of bitching and whining in the press lately about aggressive, intolerant, atheism; as if thats, somehow, a bad thing. It seems religion can dish it out okay but it cant take it: like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back.

"Aggressive atheism is really defensive atheism, because right now nothing is more aggressive than political religion. Being an atheist or secularist today is no longer a matter of opting out; but of actively fending off. So Id say any abuse religion gets, its got coming ten times over. And, besides, I dont think its possible to be too aggressive in defending freedom of speech, which is, of course, absolutely sacred, as we all know. Much, much, more sacred than any god or prophet or scripture"
derek4 wrote:
"A true atheist, which you people are not, shows respect to those who have faith or dogma."
Let's let Pat continue:

"My conscience knows that there's no earthly reason for anybody on this planet to respect religion in any way. Indeed, purely on the evidence religion itself provides in such regular abundance, there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere.

"So, if you are a religious person, and if you're thinking of demanding more respect for your beliefs, please try to bear in mind that you and your religion are already getting way more respect than youve have ever deserved. Your faith is a joke. Your god is a joke. He's so absurd he's an embarrassment even to people who don't believe in him. And he, and you, still have it all to prove."

Orefield, PA

#3232 Oct 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He will. He has no choice any more. There is a point of no return, and he is well past it.
I'm pretty certain that you can't help him. Me, neither. Look at how tenaciously he clings to this stuff, and how he uses it the way a cobra uses his venom - spitting it between hisses.
It really is pathetic in the literal sense. He could have been more and experienced more. Instead, he is a thrall for the church that exploited him.
"Religion is always in the control business and that's something people don't really understand. It's in the guilt-producing, control business.... and so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the hell out of a lot of people throughout christian history. And it's part of a control tactic" - Bishop John Shelby Spong
That church needs disempowering. I feel a sense of duty to his grandchildren to reduce the risk of that happening to them.
The best way, IMO, to disempower the church, and poor losers like derek and his sock puppets, is education and the teaching of critical thinking skills. The better educated the populace is, the less religious they are. It's happening here in the US. Slowly, but it is happening.

Fennario

#3233 Oct 14, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
The best way, IMO, to disempower the church, and poor losers like derek and his sock puppets, is education and the teaching of critical thinking skills. The better educated the populace is, the less religious they are. It's happening here in the US. Slowly, but it is happening.
I agree. You have to educate people while they are still open minded. I was just pointing out that it eventually becomes impossible to educate some people.

But that doesn't mean to stop posting to them unless it's one on one.

Fennario

#3234 Oct 14, 2012
Derek is quoting another theist here :
derek4 wrote:
"None of you have proven that God doesn't exist. You may have been successful in finding major flaws in the God of faith, but none of you, no matter how much you say it, has proven that God does not exist."
Actually, you proved that your god doesn't exist by failing to move mountains with a mustard seed of faith, or by praying in groups.

Also, if Jesus was Lord, there'd be no geologic column or stratified fossil record.

BTW, the test of a proof is not whether people committed to not accepting it don't accept it.
derek4 wrote:
"The only thing they have succeeded in doing is proving how corrupt religion."
The Christian church is also a potent argument against the existence and benevolent presence of the Christian god, just as an overgrown lawn is pretty good evidence that no gardener has been tending to it.

Fennario

#3235 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"I do believe in evolution by the way."
I don't. I believe many things, including the core claims of evolutionary scientists. But I don't believe in anything. Nor do I worship anything. That's childish.
derek4 wrote:
"Having spiritually in your life is a healthy and great thing to have."
Did you think that by calling your god a spirit that you were spiritual? If so, you're wrong.

Although I know of many exceptions, Christians generally know nothing about spirituality. They are spiritually stunted.

For starters, most of you are disconnected from the material world, which you sneeringly call "worldly" or "of the world."

And you are also disconnected from life, especially animal life by calling it soulless.

Finally, you are disconnected from your fellow man, most of which you consider diseased filth fit for eternal torment. You are self-loathing humans who sneeringly refer to our great species as "the flesh."

That's not spiritual.

Fennario

#3236 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"Believing in the unknown and the supernatural makes life more exciting and interesting."
Your beliefs make you a victim, and keep your horizons small.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality." G. B. Shaw

Fennario

#3237 Oct 14, 2012
derek4 wrote:
"I'm happy I had the ability to do what Flew did, and do a 360 on my beliefs."
For starters, it's a 180, not a 360. You apparently never thought about what the phrase refers to, probably because you aren't used to thinking about things. One just needs to imagine a physical turn, and know that a full circle is 360 degrees. Apparently,you never had such an idea.

Second, what Flew allegedly did in his dotage was still an extreme repudiation of faith and Christianity [For those not familiar, Flew was an atheist philosopher, who, near his death, and while suffering from Alzheimer dementia, is said to have reversed himself and became a deist].

Flew was still evidence based until the end, even in senility. His waning intellect concluded that the universe implied a creator after all.

And this is touted as a great victory by the theists, even Flew continued to reject all mythologies, religions, and dogmas, including Christianity. He continued to rejected Jehovah-Jesus and to consider him a mythological character.

He also rejected magical thinking, prayer and miracles.

He rejected virgin births and resurrections.

He rejected divine revelation and holy books.

He rejected heaven, hell, angels and demons.

He also rejected sin, grace, the soul, salvation, and damnation.

He rejected everything held sacred and self-evident to a Christian.

And to Christians, he is in hell.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3238 Oct 14, 2012

July, 2012

Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]

Location hidden

#3239 Oct 14, 2012
Perhaps Atheists Should Be Hitting the Panic Button

July, 2012

From #4 in the article:

... while there are more people joining the atheist and agnostic ranks than leaving, it doesnt bode well for atheists that 60-70 percent of those who are raised atheist renounce their atheism. If it were so compelling a solution over the long term, one would think the retention rate would be higher.

So perhaps the atheists should be hitting the panic button? Theyre winning converts, but no one seems to want to stay for long. Why cant they convince their own children?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/philosophicalfra...

Why cant they convince their own children?

Location hidden

#3240 Oct 14, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Faith? I don't think so, but since you claim it .... why don't you just go ahead and prove the faith that exists in no faith.
Until then it is just like your buybull god, just your imagination. A myth, a fable, man's silly concoction.
The one thing I admire about you is your atheist faith. I can only imagine how big of a crybaby you'd be without your religion, lol.

Location hidden

#3241 Oct 14, 2012
<quoted text>The difference between what you are and what I am? LOL! I have no need of any other person on this planet, for me to continue not being a theist.
And that big name? Sounds like a self promoting opportunist to me, but what he is, or isn't doesn't matter. I have no theism, and that I don't, doesn't hinge on any other persons actions.
You are not a kangaroo, so how much support do you need with that, to continue not being a kangaroo?
Sing a hymn to the moon, and pray to your atheist brethren that they will forgive you for blaspheming Michael Newdow. Lol.

Location hidden

#3242 Oct 14, 2012
<quoted text>How's that list of atheist names coming?
The list of atheist names includes Michael Newdow, your hero, lol.

I think someone already gave you the rest of the list:
How's this?
KittenKoder
The serpent was right
Hedonist
Reason Personified
Kong
Just Think
Khatru
Givemeliberty
NightSerf
Aerobatty
The laughing atheist
Double Fine
The Dude
Skippy
MikeF
Madscot
MrDesoto1
scaritual
It aint necessarily so

[but you'll probably notice, we've lost a few of the faithful atheists along the way, lmao]

Location hidden

#3243 Oct 14, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Again we have an example of the limited mentality, and substandard reading skills of Wimp-Lo. Poor Wimp-Lo. Everyone around him is laughing, and he doesn't realize that it is at him.
I HOPE it's at me, lol.

Everyone around him is laughing...

LMAO, LMAO, and LMAO.

You mean the atheists? The dregs of the earth? The nobodies?

Well, Serpy,dead meat don't count.

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr woodtick57 855
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Insults Are Easier 231,814
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr Morse 1,420
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 13 hr Morse 14,434
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' (May '14) 14 hr Morse 99
Siro is writing a new book 15 hr thetruth 3
Evidence for God! 15 hr thetruth 182

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE