Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 155)

Showing posts 3,081 - 3,100 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No
Here is the meaning of the word.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
No, that is not the meaning. The meaning is "without theism". Non belief is an acceptable way to use the word, but it in no way touches on the actual meaning of the word.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
fragments are fine in the hands of seasoned writers--- right not half-wit fools like you so you better leave grammatical liberties to the seasoned writers, lol.
Christian anger.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru, unfortunately, I don't have the faith it takes to be an atheist, and I don't want to spend eternity in hell with you and your atheist brothers and sisters who have devoted your lives to your atheistic religion, lol.
Don't be silly:

You're an atheist - you just won't admit it.

Come on now, don't be shy..........

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe in a deity atheist believe in no dirty exist. But of course you know this. Again the puppet attempts to twist and skew and side track. Don't like the conversation kicking your azz so you need to pull the puppet tricks.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
No - none - zip - zero.( get the point puppet boy?)
It would appear that few if any atheist know what the word means. And by definition looks like atheism has lost more atheist right off this thread. By what I keep hear you guys are agnostic not atheist
Maybe 2.2% now! LOL
What a bunch if Dolts. LOL
Atheists don't believe in no "dirty exist". LOL

You've got that right there.

Of course you do believe in "dirty exist"

That'll be the same "dirty exist" that you can't even demonstrate is real.

Actually, not only are you unable to demonstrate your "dirty exist" is real, you can't even define it.

Other than to call it a "dirty exist".

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
Atheists don't believe in gods. Note the plural - not the singular.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>No, that is not the meaning. The meaning is "without theism". Non belief is an acceptable way to use the word, but it in no way touches on the actual meaning of the word.
KJV wrote:
Here is the meaning of the word.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
By using this definition, KJV defeats himself.

He doesn't believe in Krishna, who just happens to be a deity.

Therefore, according to his own definition, KJV is an atheist.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Pastafarianism is a real religion.
Pastafarianism may not be a "real religion," but belief in its deity is just as justified as belief in the desert gods Jehovah-Jesus, Yahweh, Satan, or Allah, and a hell of a lot less costly.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Many Christians, myself included, do not necessarily support Martin Luther or his positions
More to the point, too many do.
derek4 wrote:
It may surprise you, but Martin Luther isn't God to Christians.
It may surprise you, but just the the bible's authors themselves, almost anybody thumping a bible while smiling and saying "Jesus! Jesus!" a lot is accepted by most Christians listening as a spokesman for your god. That's how it works. That's how it worked for Hitler.

And that's what makes your religion so dangerous.
derek4 wrote:
I could research it and see if Martin Luther said that or not. However, I don't know why I would bother
You wouldn't bother. It doesn't support your conclusions.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
Atheist have made a conscience decision that no Deities exist.
They BELIEVE God is not real. Almost all studies separate Atheist from Nonbelievers, Why? Because they are not the same. Atheist try like hell to clump them together, Why?
It's not atheists as you definite it doing anything. There are too few people making the positive claim that gods cannot or do not exist to accomplish anything. Just ask "2.3%" Langoliers.

It's those of us like me that you call agnostics that are grouping ourselves with those atheists. For example, I don't claim that no god exists. I claim that your god, the Jews' god, and the Muslim's god don't exist. But there may have been a race of gods, for example, that created the singularity that led to the Big Bang. I just don't know. How could I?

I am as agnostic as anybody else that doesn't claim to have certain knowledge about the matter. But I am an agnostic atheist, because I'm not a theist.

What people like me care about is how strong or weak the American church is in determining laws, traditions, and mores. We're watching the numbers of those standing by the church dwindle. It really doesn't matter if they call themselves atheist, agnostic, freethinkers, skeptics, humanists, rationalists, unbelievers, or irreligious - just as long as they aren't empowering the church with tithes or voting according to whichever issues and candidates the church tells them to, for example. They're my allies because they're not part of the theistic problem, and I call them all atheists.

Why do Christians seem to fear the word "atheist" so much? Shouldn't you care more about what a person believes than what he calls it? Maybe you just don't want others to know how many of us there are rejecting religion, and prefer to keep our numbers looking small.

Speaking of which, were you aware that American Protestants have fallen below the 50%mark for the first time ever? From "As Protestants decline, those with no religion gain" at http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1618445...

"In the 1960s, two in three Americans called themselves Protestant. Now the Protestant group -- both evangelical and mainline -- has slid below the statistical waters, down to 48%, from 53% in 2007."

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
BELIEVES!
Oh and this is not my definition this is straight out of Merriam-Webster.
An English Dictionary.
So if you use the English word atheist this is what you're saying. Too bad if you don't like it but that's the meaning of the word.
The word "atheist" has more than one definition because it is used in more than one way, as this discussion and many dictionaries attests. Language is dynamic, and lexicographers describe how language is used. The do not command that it be limited to any particular usage.

You really can't stop that process. Would you insist that the word "you" is incorrect and insist that the correct word is "ye" or "thou" because that once was the case? It's not any more.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

derek4 wrote:
I don't want to spend eternity in hell with you
You have to be smarter than this to avoid becoming the property of the priests. There is no way out for those of you that don't have the courage to stand up and question what they were told in their playpens.
derek4 wrote:
I don't have the faith it takes to be an atheist
No. As I just said, what you lack is the courage. Try standing up like the bipedal ape you were born to be, and look out into the universe, which may be almost empty, and which may contain no gods at all, and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years. That takes fortitude.

Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.

Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.

Accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth, and that you might be unloved except by those who know you - people, and maybe a few animals.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is.

It's unpleasant at first, but be brave! Religion may be comforting, but at a great cost. It's infantilizing. It's costing you your only shot at an authentic existence. Your religion keeps you in moral, intellectual and spiritual diapers.

Taking full responsibility for a tiny piece of the world when it needs it because if you don't, nobody will - maybe pulling your car over to help a turtle crossing it make it safely - is a sublime experience, godlike even. A theist can never know the ineffable joy of doing good for goodness sake, with no expectation that anyone other than himself will ever know it or reward him for it.

You missed that joy. Instead, you quiver about an imaginary hell, and shake that chicken on a stick at others for disagreeing.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Yes I saw the atrocity committed against that innocent girl by the worshippers of the Abrahamic god. Sad.
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they attempt to kill those who do not fall in line. A recent example is that poor little girl who was shot by the taliban. People like dopey-derek, and lagging-behind would gleefully do the same thing to anyone who does not agree with their cult-beliefs if they thought they could get away with it. They have previously posted their violent fantasies about harming atheists. I see no difference between them and the taliban.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, not only are you unable to demonstrate your "dirty exist" is real, you can't even define it.
Or which one.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Could he possible be that dumb as not to realize that?
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Pastafarianism is a satire on religion.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
When I read your pathetic posts, all I see is an underachiever, and a coward who isn't smart enough to figure out the truth, and isn't brave enough to question the stupidity of his/her goofy religion. Sucks to be you loser. LOL!!!!

Keep praying to the myth!!! lmao!!!
He will. He has no choice any more. There is a point of no return, and he is well past it.

I'm pretty certain that you can't help him. Me, neither. Look at how tenaciously he clings to this stuff, and how he uses it the way a cobra uses his venom - spitting it between hisses.

It really is pathetic in the literal sense. He could have been more and experienced more. Instead, he is a thrall for the church that exploited him.

"Religion is always in the control business and that's something people don't really understand. It's in the guilt-producing, control business.... and so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the hell out of a lot of people throughout christian history. And it's part of a control tactic" - Bishop John Shelby Spong

That church needs disempowering. I feel a sense of duty to his grandchildren to reduce the risk of that happening to them.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

They never cease to amaze with their sheer stupidity.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very true. It often amuses me of how little they think before they assert.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheism, as defined by the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and other philosophy reference works, is the denial of the existence of God."
Wikipedia:
"Denial
Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. The subject may use:
simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether"
What is so funny is that you need to go to bizzare lengths to get the definition that you want. I just have to know the English language, and look in most dictionaries. LOL!!!
It must suck to believe in a myth like you do! LOL!!!

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yea he just the dumbest isn't he.
Oh an what about KJV
Ya they are so dumb!
And we all are so smart! Wow it sure is great to being a smart azz atheist now!
Dolts!!!!!
"Oh yea he just the dumbest isn't he.
Oh an what about KJV
Ya they are so dumb!"

It looks like you're finally starting to get it!!
Good job!

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

His priest / preacher went plunging into his dirty on a regular basis to this day lulz!
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What you forgot about me already and needed some reminding?
Brain damage!
Hey, you're right. When you posted "brain damage" It reminded me of you right away!!
Thanks!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 3,081 - 3,100 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 3 min So What 7,091
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min BenAdam 216,853
New Jersey woman sues over '8THEIST' license plate 1 hr Thinking 1
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 1 hr Thinking 1,089
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 4 hr Igor Trip 2,991
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr idiot savant 20,827
Islam wins the battle of P.C. causes 10 hr Student 3
•••
•••
•••
•••