Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 151)

Showing posts 3,001 - 3,020 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"How's that list of atheist names coming?"
How's this?
KittenKoder
The serpent was right
Hedonist
Reason Personified
Kong
Just Think
Khatru
Givemeliberty
NightSerf
Aerobatty
The laughing atheist
Double Fine
The Dude
Skippy
MikeF
Madscot
MrDesoto1
scaritual
It aint necessarily so
LMAO!!!

You did a great job, it just took more time typing your list than I felt the little troll was worth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take the pathetic judgements of a troll seriously.
Thanks for admitting you're a troll and that you don't take yourself seriously. No one else does either, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course I was refering to the name they gave themselves. And unfortunatly, I forgot that you have the mentality of a five year old, and have to have things like that explained to you. Looks like you failed again. Nothing new there. LOL!!
This is why I refer to you as Wimp-Lo.
Like I've told you before, you're ignorant and uninformed. You don't take the time to even know what your own brothers and sisters are doing, or anything about their religion. Here is some more information for you on The Calgary Secular church, which was founded by an atheist, for atheists:

The Calgary Secular Church

Editor's Note: Please welcome Korey Peters, who's written a guest post about an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church. In this post, he'll explain what motivated him to do it and what he's hoping to achieve.

My name is Korey Peters, and I'm one of the founding members of the Calgary Secular Church (CSC). In this article, I'd like to do three things: 1. Describe why I think a secular church is important. 2. Describe what the CSC is about. 3. Present my opening remarks from our inaugural meeting (which go in-depth into what we hope to accomplish). There will be some overlap, although I've tried to keep it to a minimum. I'll be happy to field questions in the comment section.

In the process of de-converting from fundamentalist Christianity, I stopped going to church. I had no intention of ever going back. However, I once rashly promised my wife that if we ever moved to the UK, I would sing in a choir with her. Well, much to my surprise, we did this in 2006. Within a week of landing my wife reminded me of my promise, so off we went to find an Anglican church with a good choir.

And find one we did. We were quickly integrated into the most lovely group of people you'd ever want to meet. The music was wonderful, the services light on insanity and heavy on social issues, the ale English (as it should be). That choir became our instant community for the 2 years we lived in England, and to this day I miss them all.

I'd never had such an enjoyable time at church! When we returned home, we began attending a local Anglican church and singing in the choir there. Here I was, a recent atheist now attending church more than I had when I was a Christian.

All of this got me thinking: Why couldn't atheists start a church, full of all the good things that church can bring, but absent the horror, ignorance, and superstition? I began to talk the idea over with some friends, but it remained an abstraction.

Several weeks ago I had a conversation with a co-worker that spurred me to finally take action. His wife was recently pregnant, and they discussed the many changes in their lives that a baby would bring. One change that was proposed was going back to church so that their child would learn right and wrong. I almost spit my coffee across the room. What a preposterous idea! Here were two college-educated, non-religious people who had just proposed taking their child into the church to learn the very thing Christian churches are least capable of teaching. The realization hit home that they have nowhere else to take their child. There were no viable alternative. No place that fostered community, that was safe to take children and young families to, that would help people live right and teach their children to live right.

They needed the atheist church I had been planning.

continued:
http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/the-calg...

“... an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church”

“They needed the atheist church I had been planning.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Let me guess...
You aren't smart enough to figure that out are you?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
You are a tribute to uneducated theists everywhere!!! LOL!!!
Serpy, if you don't like their atheist church and their atheist religion, you need to contact them and tell them to “go to hell”, lmao!!!

You take your own brother and sister atheists as “jokes”, huh? Let's post it again fer 'ya, since you seem to be missing something, as you always do.

Here we go:

North Texas Church of Free Thought

“Whatever you don't believe, you're not alone”

“The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.

Historian David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All, will be visiting the DFW area later this week. He will speak at SMU this Wednesday night October 10 at the Umpherey Lee building room 241 at 7 pm ($5 donation suggested), Thursday night October 11 at UTA's Bluebonnet Ballroom at 6 pm ($10 for nonstudents), and on Friday October 12 at UTD's Clark Center at 6 pm.”
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru, unfortunately, I don't have the faith it takes to be an atheist, and I don't want to spend eternity in hell with you and your atheist brothers and sisters who have devoted your lives to your atheistic religion, lol.
Wimp Lo, you don't have the brains to be an atheist, or the balls. You will spend eternity in the grave, just like everyone else. There is no reward waiting. that's just a silly story you were told so you don't wet yourset with fear. When it's over, it's over. You have zero proof that your silly god myth is real, and that obviously, really pisses you off. And that's so frickin' funny, I can't hardly stand it. When I read your pathetic posts, all I see is an underachiever, and a coward who isn't smart enough to figure out the truth, and isn't brave enough to question the stupidity of his/her goffy religion. Sucks to be you loser. LOL!!!! Keep praying to the myth!!! lmao!!!

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting you're a troll and that you don't take yourself seriously. No one else does either, lol.
Oh look, the poor illiterate troll has no reading comprehension skills either!! What a surprise!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Wimp Lo, you don't have the brains to be an atheist, or the balls. You will spend eternity in the grave, just like everyone else. There is no reward waiting. that's just a silly story you were told so you don't wet yourset with fear. When it's over, it's over. You have zero proof that your silly god myth is real, and that obviously, really pisses you off. And that's so frickin' funny, I can't hardly stand it. When I read your pathetic posts, all I see is an underachiever, and a coward who isn't smart enough to figure out the truth, and isn't brave enough to question the stupidity of his/her goffy religion. Sucks to be you loser. LOL!!!! Keep praying to the myth!!! lmao!!!
Love to see you rant.

Keep getting mad, lol - keep getting that blood pressure up....

You go, tiger! LMAO

Have I ever told you that you're my favorite moron?

Thanks for coming back to the forum, lol.

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I've told you before, you're ignorant and uninformed. You don't take the time to even know what your own brothers and sisters are doing, or anything about their religion. Here is some more information for you on The Calgary Secular church, which was founded by an atheist, for atheists:
The Calgary Secular Church
Editor's Note: Please welcome Korey Peters, who's written a guest post about an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church. In this post, he'll explain what motivated him to do it and what he's hoping to achieve.
My name is Korey Peters, and I'm one of the founding members of the Calgary Secular Church (CSC). In this article, I'd like to do three things: 1. Describe why I think a secular church is important. 2. Describe what the CSC is about. 3. Present my opening remarks from our inaugural meeting (which go in-depth into what we hope to accomplish). There will be some overlap, although I've tried to keep it to a minimum. I'll be happy to field questions in the comment section.
In the process of de-converting from fundamentalist Christianity, I stopped going to church. I had no intention of ever going back. However, I once rashly promised my wife that if we ever moved to the UK, I would sing in a choir with her. Well, much to my surprise, we did this in 2006. Within a week of landing my wife reminded me of my promise, so off we went to find an Anglican church with a good choir.
And find one we did. We were quickly integrated into the most lovely group of people you'd ever want to meet. The music was wonderful, the services light on insanity and heavy on social issues, the ale English (as it should be). That choir became our instant community for the 2 years we lived in England, and to this day I miss them all.
I'd never had such an enjoyable time at church! When we returned home, we began attending a local Anglican church and singing in the choir there. Here I was, a recent atheist now attending church more than I had when I was a Christian.
All of this got me thinking: Why couldn't atheists start a church, full of all the good things that church can bring, but absent the horror, ignorance, and superstition? I began to talk the idea over with some friends, but it remained an abstraction.
Several weeks ago I had a conversation with a co-worker that spurred me to finally take action. His wife was recently pregnant, and they discussed the many changes in their lives that a baby would bring. One change that was proposed was going back to church so that their child would learn right and wrong. I almost spit my coffee across the room. What a preposterous idea! Here were two college-educated, non-religious people who had just proposed taking their child into the church to learn the very thing Christian churches are least capable of teaching. The realization hit home that they have nowhere else to take their child. There were no viable alternative. No place that fostered community, that was safe to take children and young families to, that would help people live right and teach their children to live right.
They needed the atheist church I had been planning.
continued:
http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/the-calg...
“... an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church”
“They needed the atheist church I had been planning.”
And like I told you before, the ignorant judgements of a little troll like you (I had to add that "like you" because you haven't the reading skills to process what that means like an educated person), mean nothing to me.

As for the atheism church crap, that's been explained to you before. The fact that you can't understand is no surprise to anyone.

Poor Wimp-Lo, still doesn't get it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Oh look, the poor illiterate troll has no reading comprehension skills either!! What a surprise!!
LOL - now you're admitting you have no reading skills!!!

You just are being too honest today, Serpy!

Orefield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Serpy, if you don't like their atheist church and their atheist religion, you need to contact them and tell them to “go to hell”, lmao!!!
You take your own brother and sister atheists as “jokes”, huh? Let's post it again fer 'ya, since you seem to be missing something, as you always do.
Here we go:
North Texas Church of Free Thought
“Whatever you don't believe, you're not alone”
“The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.
Historian David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All, will be visiting the DFW area later this week. He will speak at SMU this Wednesday night October 10 at the Umpherey Lee building room 241 at 7 pm ($5 donation suggested), Thursday night October 11 at UTA's Bluebonnet Ballroom at 6 pm ($10 for nonstudents), and on Friday October 12 at UTD's Clark Center at 6 pm.”
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/
Poor Wimp-Lo, he still can't get it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Poor Wimp-Lo, he still can't get it.
Just keep talking to yourself, it becomes you so, Serpy. LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>
As for the atheism church crap, that's been explained to you before.
Serpy, I know it was explained - and you tried to discredit your own atheist brothers and sisters with your bad information - that's why I corrected you, lol.

I will correct you every time you're wrong, until I decide to stop or disregard you becuase you're not worth my time, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

“Why I left atheism and people like you”

“Let me first start off by saying that I have no desire to be part of this group. I'm simply posting this to state something important.
Reading the posts that you people put here every day has reminded me of why I left atheism.
Let me put it to you simply: you're bullies. You people enjoy ridiculing, and accusing anyone of having faith or belief delusional. Let me give you ll a reality check. A true atheist does not bully, or call people who have beliefs names. A true atheist, which you people are not, shows respect to those who have faith or dogma. They can disagree, but to attack them just shows how vile you people are as human beings. As a psychology major, let me give you some words of advice: attacking believers the way you do just shows that you yourselves are uncomfortable of your beliefs. You attack people who believe because deep down, you have a little belief, but don't want to admit it. That's probably the same for the people the people that you look up to (i.e. Sam Harris).
Let me give you a few points:
-None of you have proven that God doesn't exist. You may have been successful in finding major flaws in the God of faith, but none of you, no matter how much you say it, has pr oven that God does not exist.

continued:

-The "Four Horsemen," or the four most notorious atheists in the world, have not proven that God does not exist. The only thing they have succeeded in doing is proving how corrupt religion. You can choir about them all you like, but they have no evidence that their is no God.

-Atheists need faith. You can deny that fact all you like (God, I sound like you people now), but it's true. You need faith that science will find all of the answers.

-Science does not have all of the answers, and has, believe it or not, not been able to prove a lot things. I have heard scientists ADMIT that they have seen things that they were never able to define.

continued:

-The bible, or the babble as you people like to put it, is not a bad book. I have see the bible give countless amounts of joy and comfort to people, especially in time of death.

-There is no evidence that the soul does not exist. Again, science has not yet found all of the answers. Science still has not yet figured out all of the mysteries regarding the human brain.

-Dawkins, who I greatly respect for his intelligence (I am planning on reading The Selfish Gene), has not proven that their no God. In fact, I have heard Dawkins many times say that the question of the EXISTENCE of a God is a scientific question (relating back to what I said before about there being no evidence of God having any connection to religion).Oh, I do believe in evolution by the way.

continued:

-Putting all of your hope in science is a very blind thing to do. Having spiritually in your life is a healthy and great thing to have. Believing in the unknown and the supernatural makes life more exciting and interesting.

I left atheism for the simple reason that I was tired of being around people who were so closed minded. You say that theists are closed minded, but when I really look at the big picture I feel that atheists, especially strong ones (which I imagine that most of you are) fall under the same category.

I'm happy I had the ability to do what Flew did, and do a 360 on my beliefs. Now that I left atheism, I finally realize just how miserable I was.
I don't care what you people think of me. You can call me a moron, delusional, or idiot all you want. Enjoy the rest of your lives. Hopefully, you take what I've said into consideration. P.S. Please delete my account. I have no desire knowing I'm connected to this site in anyway."
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17644

[Be sure to check all the answers he got from the little boogers; they're a hoot, and their hostility proved all of his points, lol.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Here is an atheist preacher, doing his sermon:

[yes, he refers to his rant as a “sermon”. He also refers to his audience as “brothers and sisters”, lmao.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Now atheists, doesn't he inspire you to go to his church?

You should fall in love with the fool, lol. He show can rant!!!

I can only imagine how high his blood pressure goes, lol.

I bet his bro's and sis's fix him some mighty fine fried chicken afta church too.

See what you are missing by not going to the atheist church? All those sermons you would like.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, adding an 'a' does not make it the "opposite" and I never claimed it did. It does mean an "absence of" though. Agnostic means "without knowledge of," atheist means "without belief of." Stop conflating the linguistic structure of the English language to suite your ill-conceived notions in a failed attempt of painting things black and white. Black and white notions only exist in fairy-tales, not reality.
So abridge means missing bridge?

Bridge out?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Criticizing your brothers and sisters in the atheist faith won't bail you out of your godless religion. Maybe your voice would be more effective if you would contact the atheist church to register your complaints, since they mean nothing to me, lol.
Faith? I don't think so, but since you claim it .... why don't you just go ahead and prove the faith that exists in no faith.
Until then it is just like your buybull god, just your imagination. A myth, a fable, man's silly concoction.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I deal in facts.

Do you believe in Vishnu?

No? Then you're an atheist.
I do believe in a deity atheist believe in no dirty exist. But of course you know this. Again the puppet attempts to twist and skew and side track. Don't like the conversation kicking your azz so you need to pull the puppet tricks.

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

No - none - zip - zero.( get the point puppet boy?)

It would appear that few if any atheist know what the word means. And by definition looks like atheism has lost more atheist right off this thread. By what I keep hear you guys are agnostic not atheist

Maybe 2.2% now! LOL
What a bunch if Dolts. LOL

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're saying Michael Newdow is a theist? Hahahahahahaha. What an idiot you have shown yourself to be to the forum, lol. You don't even know the big names in atheism – what a joke you truly are!!! It's amazing you learned how to sign on to your computer, lol. How embarrassing for you.
“Michael Arthur Newdow (born June 24, 1953) is an American attorney and emergency medicine physician. He is best known for his efforts to have recitations of the current version of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools in the United States declared unconstitutional because of its inclusion of the phrase "under God". He also filed and lost a lawsuit to stop the invocation prayer at President Bush's second inauguration and, most recently, he filed a lawsuit to prevent references to God and religion from being part of President Obama's inauguration.”
Newdow is an atheist and an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Newdow
Here's the video again fer 'ya:
“First Atheist Church of True Science explains why atheism is a religion.”
“Bonus: church founded by atheist lawsuit king Michael Newdow”
http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/6311079
The difference between what you are and what I am? LOL! I have no need of any other person on this planet, for me to continue not being a theist.

And that big name? Sounds like a self promoting opportunist to me, but what he is, or isn't doesn't matter. I have no theism, and that I don't, doesn't hinge on any other persons actions.

You are not a kangaroo, so how much support do you need with that, to continue not being a kangaroo?
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>Wrong.
The breakdown of the word means without theism.
You are a very entertaining Dolt!

I show you many definition from many sources and you claim I'm wrong!

How absurd! You may want atheist to mean agnostic but it's just not going to happen!

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You pore thang.
I don't waste anymore time answering jokes like you. When you contribute something credible, I'll answer – until then, nada, lmao.
That probably means I'll never need to answer you again, since nothing you've ever posted has ever been credible.
Like I say, how embarrassing for you.
Not even, what would be embarrassing would be the have your lack of credibility. You have pledged fealty to a thing which would make you eat your children. Now that should be embarrassing. I just got why you all need to bow your head .... shame.

A prayer? LOL! A plea to an invisible being or whatever may be out there, coming from an atheist, yeah right.
We see the truth, It is Discovery Institute creationist, founded and despite a massive media blitz, he just can't figure out why the only members are the D. I. shills. And again, that would come under the heading of having a clue, as what to an atheist is.
How's that list of atheist names coming?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 3,001 - 3,020 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••